Click to Translate to English Click to Translate to French  Click to Translate to Spanish  Click to Translate to German  Click to Translate to Italian  Click to Translate to Japanese  Click to Translate to Chinese Simplified  Click to Translate to Korean  Click to Translate to Arabic  Click to Translate to Russian  Click to Translate to Portuguese  Click to Translate to Myanmar (Burmese)

PANDEMIC ALERT LEVEL
Forum Home Forum Home > Main Forums > Latest News
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Tracking the next pandemic: Avian Flu Talk

Finally prepping in the news

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Finally prepping in the news
    Posted: January 19 2006 at 3:55am
Posted on Thu, Jan. 19, 2006

Avian flu plan thinks 'the unthinkable'

By Sandy Kleffman
CONTRA COSTA TIMES

SACRAMENTO - If an avian flu pandemic sweeps through the state, health authorities would consider quarantines, school closures and encouraging people to avoid mass transit and public gatherings.

Should a pandemic develop, it could last as long as two years and kill 35,000 Californians, state health officials said Wednesday as they released the state's draft avian flu plan. The state proposes spending $2 million now to stockpile 270,000 treatments of Tamiflu, an antiviral drug that eases the disease's symptoms.

"The biggest challenge is getting people to think the unthinkable," said Sandra Shewry, director of the California Department of Health Services.

No one knows if the avian flu, which first infected humans in 1997 in Hong Kong, will reach the United States and if the virus will mutate enough so that it is easily transmitted among humans.

The H5N1 strain of avian flu has been detected in domestic and wild birds across Southeast Asia. Reports of isolated outbreaks have come from Romania, Russia and Turkey.

At least 60 people have died. Most victims became infected through close contact with birds.

Despite the small number of infections, health officials worry because the strain appears to be particularly virulent and since it is new, no one has developed immunity.

"It causes severe illness and high mortality rates," said Dr. Mark Horton, the state's public health officer.

If the virus mutates, health leaders say they fear it could lead to a pandemic or worldwide outbreak similar to the 1918 Spanish influenza, which killed 40 million people.

The state's influenza plan notes that as many as 35 percent of California residents could become ill during a pandemic and 35,000 might die. It assumes the epidemic would come in waves and could last 18 to 24 months.

"This level of disease activity would disrupt all aspects of society and severely affect the economy," the report states.

Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger has proposed spending $60 million next year to enhance the state's readiness for avian influenza and a natural disaster.

The California plan dovetails with President Bush's $7.1 billion avian flu proposal unveiled in November. It calls for stockpiling antiviral medication and accelerating vaccine development.

Contra Costa County health leaders completed their first pandemic flu plan in September and are revising it, said public health director Dr. Wendel Brunner.

"The thing that is the biggest challenge is that if there is a flu pandemic, it will occur nationally, so resources from outside the county will not be available," Brunner said.

That makes planning for a pandemic much tougher than gearing up for an earthquake or outbreak of botulism, for example. In those cases, state and federal agencies could be counted on to rush in with resources.

Contra Costa has about 1,500 hospital beds available and that could be expanded by 10 percent to 20 percent, Brunner said, "but that wouldn't be adequate in a major flu pandemic."

Local leaders would probably set up emergency hospitals in school gymnasiums and other large buildings if health care facilities become overloaded, he said.

A shortage of health care workers would also be a major challenge. The state plan suggests expanding the permitted duties of paramedics, emergency medical technicians, nurses, dentists, veterinarians, podiatrists and pharmacists during such emergencies.

The best strategy, Brunner said, would be to quickly get vaccine to large numbers of people. Contra Costa could immunize all 1 million of its residents within a few weeks, he said.

Whether a vaccine will be available and in what quantities, remain big questions. Manufacturers are developing vaccines based on the existing virus. However, those vaccines may not be effective once the virus mutates. Because vaccine production is a lengthy, cumbersome process, Bush has proposed spending $2.8 billion to develop quicker technologies.

The state plan includes a strong surveillance system to quickly detect the virus, which has not arrived in California. In recent months, physicians have submitted specimens on a couple dozen cases, but testing in state laboratories revealed that the ill people had the standard seasonal flu or some other disease, Shewry said.

If the virus is detected, health leaders would consider containment strategies such as quarantines and administering vaccines or antiviral medications to people who have close contact with the infected person. The state implemented quarantines during the 1918 pandemic. "They would never be used lightly," Shewry said.

After the virus becomes more widespread, the plan suggests "social distancing" techniques such as closing schools, restricting public gatherings and encouraging people not to use public transportation.

It will take a team approach to make the plan work, state officials said, including having education, business and local health officials develop their own strategies.

Residents can do their part by maintaining a supply of food, water, prescription drugs and other health supplies in case they cannot get to a store or the stores run out of supplies.

"While we cannot absolutely prevent a pandemic, we can mitigate its impact," Shewry said.

Reach Sandy Kleffman at 925-943-8249 or skleffman@cctimes.com.

PREPARING FOR A PANDEMIC

• Plan for an extended stay at home by storing bottled water, canned juices and such nonperishable food items as ready-to-eat canned meats, fruits, vegetables, soups and protein bars.

• Ask your doctor and insurance company for an extra supply of prescription drugs.

• Have health supplies on hand, including pain relievers, stomach remedies, cough and cold medicines, fluids with electrolytes, and vitamins.

• Other emergency supplies include a flashlight, batteries, a portable radio, a manual can opener, garbage bags, tissues, toilet paper and disposable diapers.

PREPARING FOR A PANDEMIC

To read the state's draft pandemic influenza plan, visit www.dhs.ca.gov. Residents can submit comments through Feb. 15. State officials say they hope to finalize the plan by spring.

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 19 2006 at 3:59am

Are we ready..wave to the nice people dear..keep smiling..here comes the avain flu....2 years worth..best i get a buying..inventory...stock stock stock..bought some bagged noodles yesterday and my toothpaste..

This is the best news release I have seen..get prepped for all of us dragging our feet waiting here it is now in black and white and printed in the press...

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 19 2006 at 8:21am

I had to laugh!  Our most populous state in the nation and one of the most (if not most) prosperous and they are going to spend about $1.76 per person in preparation for what could be the most momentous event in at least two generations.

I can only hope that funding will increase as the danger is perceived to increase and gain momentum in its march west.

But we are seeing more and more say openly to prep for isolation.  I guess once the HHS came out with it as a recommendation others now feel safe in saying it.

libbyalex View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote libbyalex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 19 2006 at 8:22am
Oh geez. Now it's my panic time. 18-24 months?!? i know, i know, we've talked about that, but I really didn't think it could possibly be that long and I'm sure I don't have much more than 6 months. Ack!!!! I'm sure I'm running around like a chicken with it's head cut off. (weird metaphor I know....) -- Libby who can't get out to get more stuff until next week....
Angel View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Angel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 19 2006 at 8:29am

I like that in the San Jose Mercury News the Public Health Officer said individuals are to take more direct responsibility for THEIR OWN CARE.  Many of the sick will have to care for themselves at home.

They are warning people UPFRONT that they are on their own with this thing and DON'T expect the government to come to bale you out.  They are certain to not make this thing come off like New Orleans.  

Angel
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 19 2006 at 8:42am

I to am the chicken with its head cut off...I know I have enough pasta for a year and possibly enough rice and flour..and I have started buying corn meal(and corn flour) at least some veggies there.....I have enough sweets for a year we are not big candy eaters ...i have just done inventory of canned goods..looks bad...I have alot of spaggetti sauce and tomato sauce..but not much in canned fruits...

I guess if I have enough to get through a winter, until i can plant(hopefully a garden)..cause if it is in bird pooh you would actually have to have a greenhouse to plant..bird pooh on your lettuce and then you get infected...

I know that my 600 litres of water will not last long with 4 of us(but will have to deepend on rain water...or snow..have lots of snow right now...

I am still of the thought it will hit North America and Canada in March/April..like the last pandemic did..people are happy to see spring and shed there clothes and there common sense...

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 19 2006 at 9:47am

Muskrat,

Stock up on some canned fruits and veggies. Canned veggies come packed in water, and you can drink it! (Dont pour it out when you open the can!).

Also some canned fruit comes in light pear concentrate juice, which is a tasty drink, especially for kids. (I avoid buying canned fruit in heavy syrup, because I want to be able to drink the juice in an emergency and not be overwhelmed by it, haha!)

:)

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 19 2006 at 10:47am

http://www.blackanthem.com/News/military_2006011905.html

Officials are meeting in Stuttgart this week to plan for how best to deal with a potential outbreak of avian influenza that could mutate into a pandemic flu.

Conference attendees, including subject matter experts from throughout the region, are creating a comprehensive plan in coordination with U.S. European Command, host nations, the Department of Defense and other governmental agencies to deal with a possible pandemic caused by the mutation of the H5N1 influenza virus, more commonly known as "bird flu," that is currently circulating through domestic and wild bird flocks around the world.

"Due to the serious consequences presented by a potential pandemic, and in support of U.S. government worldwide efforts, EUCOM is coordinating with appropriate organizations and governments to ensure that people are protected and informed," said Air Force Lt. Col. Ron Sanders, the lead project officer for EUCOM’s pandemic influenza response team.

The DOD, Department of State, Health and Human Services, World Health Organization, and other governments and agencies are preparing for a possible pandemic - a global outbreak of disease - of avian influenza. These organizations are building on the knowledge and experience from other recent public health crises, including SARS and the 2001 anthrax attacks, to meet the threat of a pandemic outbreak. EUCOM and its component commands are continuing the planning process to protect their service members, family members and employees while maintaining operational readiness.

The presence of even a limited number of human cases of avian influenza has raised concerns that the current situation could become a pandemic if the virus develops the ability to spread from human to human. If such a situation should occur in Europe, the EUCOM plan suggests individuals should be prepared to increase good personal hygiene practices such as hand washing, cough and sneeze etiquette, and care in food preparation. In the event of an epidemic avian influenza outbreak, social distancing, isolation and quarantine procedures may have to be implemented. Social distancing includes limiting social gatherings and interactions such as attending school, churches, civic clubs and groups, and work activities. Local commanders and health officials will notify personnel of specific procedures on their installations.

Some existing antiviral treatments are available to possibly mitigate a pandemic influenza virus. There is currently no vaccination available to counter the virus in its existing form. Once the bird flu virus has mutated to where it can be passed from human to human, experts estimate that it will take at least six to nine months to develop an effective vaccine. However, the mitigating antiviral medications have proven somewhat successful at blocking the replication of the virus if treatment begins within 24 to 48 hours.

While it is unusual for people to get influenza infections directly from animals, sporadic human infections and outbreaks caused by certain avian influenza viruses are cause for concern. These sporadic human infections, however, rarely result in sustained transmission among humans. Avian flu currently does not have the ability to be transmitted through human to human contact.

In order for the bird flu virus, or any virus for that matter, to cause a pandemic, several factors must be present. According to a town hall meeting on the subject hosted by the American Consulate General in Frankfurt, Germany, the most notable factors include the ability for the virus to replicate itself in humans and to be efficiently able to transmit from human to human. When the human population does not have immunity against such a virus, a pandemic is possible.

Even though the bird flu and human flu viruses are different, they are spread in the same way, and experts are unsure whether the current strains of avian influenza will evolve into a pandemic strain. However, it has shown the ability to mutate, so it is a concern. While there have been changes in the virus over time, there is currently no indication that the virus has changed to a form that could result in a pandemic. This possibility is being closely monitored by numerous health organizations around the world.

In that vein, the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases, part of the National Institutes of Health, awarded two contracts to support the production and clinical testing of an investigational vaccine based on the H5N1 strain of avian influenza. Before a pandemic strikes, there is no way to tell what the particular strain of virus will be. Research studies to test a vaccine to protect humans against this strain began in 2005.

Conference attendees stress that it is extremely important that people remain calm about the potential for a pandemic. While no vaccination for this strain of flu currently exists, individuals can take precautions as simple as getting a regular flu shot, maintaining good health practices such as eating balanced diets and exercising, and cough and sneeze etiquette.

Travelers to areas with identified outbreaks of avian flu are encouraged to take necessary precautions to prevent the contraction and spread of this disease. It is believed that most cases of bird flu infection in humans have resulted from contact with infected poultry or contaminated surfaces. Most of the proven cases have occurred following close contact with infected birds or a massive ingestion of undercooked infected chicken meat or chicken blood. International travelers should visit the State Department’s travel Web site at www.travel.state.gov to determine the travel restrictions in their destination country.

Source : United States Air Force European News Service

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 19 2006 at 11:25am
HAVE YOU SEEN ABOUT NEW DRUG?  Try "avian flu" on Yahoo.com
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 19 2006 at 12:09pm

http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=29101

ST Micro develops Avian Flu "lab on chip"

Single rather than multiple tests

By: INQUIRER staff Thursday 19 January 2006, 11:06

ST MICROELECTRONICS and Veredus Labs said they're developing a so called "lab on a chip" which will quickly detect strains of bird flu and other flu viruses.

Veredus is developing an app which uses ST Micro's "In Check" technology to discover whether a patient has Avian Flu H5N! or a subtype of Influenza A or B using just one test, rather than multiple tests.

The technology works by processing a sample on a disposable chip, with results detected by using a portable reader using optical signal acquisition, processed by ST Micro's bioinformatics software, which runs on PCs.

The two firms hope to have the product ready as early as autumn this year, they said. µ

Do you maen this one...

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 21 2006 at 12:12pm

I believe there is a  of planning not covered by the media by employers  .  Most employers are starting their  plans  Some essential workers will be quaranteened  right at the start.   Some will be laid off first.   Im sure there are people out there who know that they are essential  to their employers. have they concidered they could be quaranteened.    

stardust View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stardust Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 21 2006 at 2:27pm
What freaks me out the most out of this whole thing is that more people are not talking, planning etc. This is huge!!! This could be like the Great Depression. Only this time people will be sick and/or dying. And on a worldwide basis. I'm glad that I found this forum. And in turn I am telling everyone I know about it. What I especially like about this site is there aren't any commercial interests like other ones I have seen.
"Prepping is Power"!
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 21 2006 at 3:05pm

Welcome aboard Stardust!  How long have you been watching AI?  Are you prepping your family?  Please consider dropping by the "Off Topic Discussion" room and telling us a little about your yourself in Member's Bio's.

meewee View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote meewee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 21 2006 at 4:14pm

Welcome to our little corner of the world! Stardust listen to these good folk and take their advice! They will save you and your loved ones life! And Prep, Prep ,Prep!!!!  Now take a deep breath and know that you are not alone..we truly do care about you and Welcome aboard!!

Meewee

God Bless us all!
phyrefly View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phyrefly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 21 2006 at 4:59pm
Nice logo, SD.
Magpie Treads the Branch
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic