Click to Translate to English Click to Translate to French  Click to Translate to Spanish  Click to Translate to German  Click to Translate to Italian  Click to Translate to Japanese  Click to Translate to Chinese Simplified  Click to Translate to Korean  Click to Translate to Arabic  Click to Translate to Russian  Click to Translate to Portuguese  Click to Translate to Myanmar (Burmese)

PANDEMIC ALERT LEVEL
Forum Home Forum Home > Pandemic Prepping Forums > General Prepping Tips
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Tracking the next pandemic: Avian Flu Talk

Fishing For Food

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Outlaw JW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Fishing For Food
    Posted: January 19 2006 at 6:41am

"Everyone has to believe in something: I believe I'll go fishing" Henry David Thoreau

There is an abundant resource out there that I would like everyone to consider which is fishing for some of your food. You don't have to store them you just have to catch them.

Here is an excerpt from an article linked below you'll have to scroll down the linked page as the artcle is not placed well in the link.

"However, there is a wild fish resource that's both self-renewing and so abundant that the lack of exploitation can be a problem. It is also free for the taking and easy for anyone to catch.

I don't mean "Government Fish": hatchery-raised rainbows, togue, or lake trout, nor do I mean lunker black bass, landlocked salmon, or walleyes, tacklebustin' Northern pike, or muskies. These are all properly deemed gamefish—a public natural resource that, like ducks, deer, and other wildlife-is husbanded by sportsmen's groups such as Ducks Unlimited and B.A.S.S., and managed by relatively beneficent government agencies for the benefit of recreational sportsmen ...who willingly underwrite their friendly Fish & Game wardens, hatcheries, and stocking programs through license fees, stamps, and taxes on bait and tackle.

I refer to the abundant, easy to catch panfish that are seldom sought for sport, but are left to kids with cane poles and bent pins ...if they're fished for at all. An intermediate link in the freshwater food chain, these mostly foot-long-or-under species feed on bugs and minnows and in turn are eaten by bigger game fish, raccoons, fish eagles ...and by you and me. Indeed, they got the name "panfish" because they fit so well into a hot frying pan."

http://www.motherearthnews.com/library/1995_August_September /Fishing_For_Food

Boozy View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boozy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 19 2006 at 12:23pm

yeah fish now and freeze it a work.........or get fish at the store and freeze it.............like my sister she cooks meals now and freezes them.....

i'm soory 4 what i've did and 2 say i love everybody n the world............

make your peace now with people u love or know
bruss01 View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bruss01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 19 2006 at 3:46pm

Panfish, I love panfish.  I spent my childhood summers reeling in many a Bluegill and Bullhead... ah, glory days.

However, I have to caution about the "live off the land" philosophy.  In the great depression wilderness lands were hunted and fished virtually "dry" of game.  The problem was not so much the farmer hunting his own land as it was his neighbor, who figured that city folk would pay for any venison he could kill and dress, who hunted the land sterile to fill this demand.  Since deer don't know where property lines end, it was only a matter of time before "your" deer ended up on the neighbor's property, and that's not even considering all the poaching that went on.

Long story short, depend on what's in your pantry, and consider anything else a windfall.

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 20 2006 at 4:02am

And do you take the chance in a pandemic to go outside and catch said fish....could be a good debate on that one...

I had always thought that in a pinch or emergency..that would be great..I live near lakes, lakes and more lakes..

but if you can be infected by bird feces or dead birds..along comes a flock of geese half of them fall dead from the  sky..what do you do..how would you ever know if you stepped in pooh

I guess this is where our goggle and mask preps come in handy and your clean up quaratine room...

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic