Click to Translate to English Click to Translate to French  Click to Translate to Spanish  Click to Translate to German  Click to Translate to Italian  Click to Translate to Japanese  Click to Translate to Chinese Simplified  Click to Translate to Korean  Click to Translate to Arabic  Click to Translate to Russian  Click to Translate to Portuguese  Click to Translate to Myanmar (Burmese)

PANDEMIC ALERT LEVEL
Forum Home Forum Home > Pandemic Prepping Forums > General Prepping Tips
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Tracking the next pandemic: Avian Flu Talk

Freezing rice

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Freezing rice
    Posted: April 29 2006 at 9:48am
Is it necessary to freeze rice if you want it to last longer than a year?  I noticed a couple of others have asked this question but I never saw an answer.
NawtyBits View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NawtyBits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 29 2006 at 6:40pm
I am eating from a 5gal pail of rice I packed in 1998, and opened in 2000.  It was packed with an O2 absorber and a dessicant.  There was no freezing.  I have not had any bug problems at all.  In any of my preps. 

I've never intentionally frozen any of my storage, but last winter I had 2 25# bags of flour in the back of my SUV for several days during 20 degree below weather...Wink

nawty
slcmom View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slcmom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 29 2006 at 6:50pm

My parents have been storing food for the past 30 years.  They have never frozen anything either, simply packed their stuff with oxy absorbers.   They've lost some powdered milk to spoilage, but everything else has held up nicely.   Rice won't last 30 years of course (wheat and sugar will, BTW) but I've had some for about 5 years that I just opened and am using, packed in a #10 can with an oxy absorber.

I've seen lots of stuff on freezing on this site, but I've never done it.  I asked my hub (a microbiologist) and he said most of the food in the U.S. is already treated to kill the bugs before it hits the shelves.   Hope that helps! 
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2006 at 12:57pm
slcmom, organic food too? (treated I mean). I have some organic grains stored. Regarding the oxy absorbers, do you need to put new ones in every time you open the can? (I know they have a color indicator, but don't they use up quickly when you open the cans everytime e.g. the #10 cans). I would appreciate your input, because you seem to be very experienced and knowledgeable in this. Thanks.
slcmom View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slcmom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2006 at 6:05pm

I would guess they treat  organic foods too.  I'm guessing this because I know most/all of the raw materials used in the natural foods industry (herbs, supplements, etc) are treated.  (Methyl Bromide, I think, but some companies are experimenting with steam--don't quote me though.)  It's impossible to get the microbial count down enough to meet industry standards otherwise. 

And yes, oxy absorbers will be useless after about 20 minutes in the open air.  After I open a #10 can,   I don't reseal or replace the oxy absorber, I just use it up, throw away the can, and then open another one.  

I also pack a lot of stuff in 5 and 6 gal sealable plastic containers (food grade).  In that case, I use several oxy absorbers (5-6).   That is just my method, although I'm sure there is a "storage container size to oxy absorber" algorithm somewhere, I just guess.   It has seemed to work okay so far.

I don't know how knowledgable, just grew up with this stuff, only we called it "emergency preparedness" instead of "prepping."

Rocky View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rocky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 02 2006 at 2:00am
Why can't you get oxy absorbers in smaller numbers, use up all those opened in the bag those at the same time, and then have more left in unopened bags so when you open this large can for the first time, take some food out for use over a period of time, dispose of the original oxy absorbers, put newly opened oxy absorbers back into the large can and reseal until next needed?

It is late and I am a little blurry. Hope this makes sense. Rocky
Prepare for the Unexpected!
Rocky
http://www.homeemergencyusa.com
slcmom View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slcmom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 02 2006 at 9:09am

If you just keep the oxy absorbers in ziploc bags, and get only a few out at a time as needed, you can keep them good for a long time.  You just can't let them sit out in the air. 

I don't reseal the can with a new oxy absorber because there is no need to.   Do you normally have food get infested or lose freshness in your pantry?   If you do, then you could reseal. 
Karianne View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Karianne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 05 2006 at 3:07pm

Oh no, I've never heard of oxy absorber's. Can't we just freeze it? I don't use a lot of rice or flour as I don't like to cook but I always freeze a bag of flour overnight and I freeze the Success Rice in a box cause years ago I used to get bugs so just got in the habit. I didn't know I still didn't have to.

If we want to freeze a larger bag, how long should we freeze it? I want to just to be on the safe side cause I know it doesn't get bugs that way and those bugs used to be so gross.
Kari
sweetpea View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sweetpea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 05 2006 at 8:49pm
Originally posted by Rocky Rocky wrote:

Why can't you get oxy absorbers in smaller numbers, use up all those opened in the bag those at the same time, and then have more left in unopened bags so when you open this large can for the first time, take some food out for use over a period of time, dispose of the original oxy absorbers, put newly opened oxy absorbers back into the large can and reseal until next needed?

It is late and I am a little blurry. Hope this makes sense. Rocky

The #10 cans are the size of a gallon can ... so, depending what is in there, you can easily use up the food within a week or less.  That's why it's not really necessary to add a new oxy packet.  Otherwise, if you're just using just a pinch, it's better to reseal it in an airtight jar or vacuum sealed with an oxy packet.
"When an emergency arises, the time for preparation is past."
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic