Click to Translate to English Click to Translate to French  Click to Translate to Spanish  Click to Translate to German  Click to Translate to Italian  Click to Translate to Japanese  Click to Translate to Chinese Simplified  Click to Translate to Korean  Click to Translate to Arabic  Click to Translate to Russian  Click to Translate to Portuguese  Click to Translate to Myanmar (Burmese)

PANDEMIC ALERT LEVEL
Forum Home Forum Home > Pandemic Prepping Forums > General Prepping Tips
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Tracking the next pandemic: Avian Flu Talk

Tell me why!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tlcpeach Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Tell me why!
    Posted: April 29 2006 at 9:49pm
I am fluctuating between 2 personal views. I am wondering what makes you all "tick" and why you have chosen to believe that this pandemic is going to happen. My views are polarized:
1-don't do anything. live day to day . it is not going to happen...just hype and false fear.
2-believe it is going to happen and do something about it. prepare, etc.
my question is, honestly, what argument can you give me to believe?? I want to be convinced and I want people who have been where I am and have become firm in their convictions to answer me. Thank you....
TLC
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 29 2006 at 10:08pm
Good question. I do not prep for bird flu, as I am a strong believer in staying prepared for any emergency. All I needed to do is change tactics a little. I have been into survival for 25 years, and bird flu is just another bump in the road if it does not pan out.
Personally, I do not see where it "has" to mutate and spread, but as much as it has spread thru migration, we might see a lot of cases here in the US just like overseas.
If it does mutate and spread, well, there is a saying.... Survival..., where preparation meets disaster.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 29 2006 at 10:13pm
Angry
pugmom View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pugmom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 30 2006 at 1:40am
History is the great teacher.  It will happen, as it already happened, and is due to happen again. 
jpc
Ironstone View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ironstone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 30 2006 at 9:00am
Tlcpeach, welcome to the board.  The answer for me is based on not knowing what will happen but:

If it does not happen:
1) People will laugh at me behind my back
2) I will be eating cheaply for years

If it does happen:
1) I and my family will eat
2) Yours won't

I prefer to eat if it happens and my ego is not so wrapped up in my image that i will worry about what others think.
Ironstone
oknut View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oknut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 30 2006 at 10:00am
another welcome to the board Tlcpeach!

This whole thing has been a tremendous wake up call for me. Yes, there's a chance that the avian influenza may not develop into a pandemic ... but it might.

Realizing how delicate and vulnerable our current system of supply and delivery is has caused me to make a decision that I will never again rely on my weekly shopping trips and favorite restaurants to keep us fed.

Any number of things could upset the balance and disrupt the "just in time" deliveries to an area. A pandemic is just one of them. We have been so fortunate that the just in time method has worked as well as it has for so long.

My neighborhood grocer no longer has a warehouse full of supplies to stock the shelves. Disruptions in weather, terrorist attacks, war, strikes, pandemics .... there are many things that could cause disruptions at any level of the delicate system in place.

Going forward, I will always keep a healthy supply of staples on hand - just in case they are needed.
2ifbyC View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 2ifbyC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 30 2006 at 11:56am
...because even the Boy Scouts tell you to "be prepared"! Wink
Survival does have an 'I'!

Dodging 'canes on Florida's central Gulf Coast
prprd1 View Drop Down
advanced Member
advanced Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote prprd1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 30 2006 at 2:30pm

TLCPEACH... I have been a long time in the survival and preparedness (survival and paranoia as my wife calls it) scene for at least the last 15 years.  I am of the conviction that I only need to be right once about having preparations on hand for any given emergency, be  it environmental man made or act of god.  I feel I have a family and it is my duty to them, god and my country to provide for them to the best of my ability. 

H5N1 may or may not come to light (personally I hope and pray that it does not) However I feel that it is the perfect catalyst to get people motivated to do something for themselves and their loved ones.  If nothing more perhaps "the people" will at least be better equipped to deal with situations such as Katrina without relying on their government to provide for them as heavily as they have in the past.
bullets and water!
Scott View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scott Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 30 2006 at 4:07pm
Rolling the Dice.

Hmmmm. I think we all came to that fork in the road at some point in our lives. For me, it is simple.....Odds vs. Risk.

If the odds are high something is going to happen and the risk is low, I probably would do nothing.

If the Odds are low and the risk high, I probably would do nothing.

Unfortunately, leaders and more importantly scientists across the world are saying 50-50 on the Bird Flu turning Pandemic. So odds are greater and risk is high. That to me = prepare. Be smart about it though.....Stock what you eat and eat what you stock. If it never happens, hey, you can slowly take from supply over time. If it does happen, then you have dramatically increased your survival rate. Pretty simple really.

Hope this helps,
Scott
As the Dark Horse Approaches.
Improvise Adapt and Overcome!
tlcpeach View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tlcpeach Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2006 at 8:17am
Thank you all for your support and help.
TLC
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 02 2006 at 8:14pm

I read where someone basically wrote these 4 choices:

1)  Prepare.  If BF doesn't hit then you're OK.
2)  Prepare.  If BF hits, then you MIGHT be OK.
3)  Do Nothing.  If BF doesn't hit, then you're OK.
4)  Do Nothing.  IF BF hits then you're screwed. 

The experts are all very worried.  I made my decision to prepare based on the experts concerns and advise.  Unless you plan on spending years becoming a virilogist yourself, then you might want to trust what they have to say.

Karianne View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Karianne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 05 2006 at 1:06pm
I honestly don't think it's gonna happen but I'm doing it cause we went through a hurricane last year (Wilma in Florida). We were without power, safe water and telephone for 7 days.  I remember walking into a grocery store and finding many of the shelves completely empty, it was darkish with no electric, no frozen foods or meat or milk. It made me realize that we depend too much that our food and supplies will "just always be there". Gas at gas stations but no electric to pump it, traffic lights not working on six lane intersections!

The weirdest was Walgreens. They were not even letting people in. It was soooo weird. If you wanted something, you asked at the door and if they had it they got it for you. I've never seen a big chain like that in that situation. It kind of makes you think.

I also figure what could it hurt?  I'm also finding out I'm gonna save a lot of money on groceries as I stock up on buy one get one free items which I never really did before.

What can it hurt to prep and what if you didn't and it DOES hit?

Kari
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 09 2006 at 3:50pm
Well peach, It is already happening. Through my wifes family we have close contacts in china. I can't comfirm any of this but our people tell us its already going human to human in china and lots of people are sick., There was a supposedly a  report by  a Japanese Scientist who works for W.H.O. that confirms this but who knows for sure.

We're totally convinced. But will not do our final shopping until its confirmed.
Never2late View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Never2late Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 10 2006 at 9:12am
To me its just more insurance. Why would I not spend a few hundred dollars to buy bird flu insurance (food, water, survivial supplies) even if the chance of it happening are slim?

I pay for life insurance but I don't think there's much chance I am going to die prematurely.

I pay for health insurance, but I don't think I am going to get sick enough to use it.

I pay for dental insurance, but I don't think I will need it.

I pay for car insurance, but I've never had an accident and don't plan on starting now.

I insure my home, but have never had a claim.

I have professional liability insurance, but don't plan on ever having a claim against me.

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 10 2006 at 12:20pm
Read proverbs 27-12

Worst case is you have some extra food around. Ok maybe a few extra guns and shells.
Legacy View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Legacy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 10 2006 at 2:00pm
Hm...Can you expand on this at all, oldasrocks?
I do everything my Rice Crispies tell me to....
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 10 2006 at 2:23pm
Legacy, What specifically do you want me to expand on?  I've always been a Boy Scout McGuyver type guy.  I hae planted Blackberries on all my fenceline but was planning on doing that anyway. So many druggies stealing stuff around here and this makes it harder to get in here.  So have a security fence without looking like one. The birds and I both have blackberries to eat.

I have purchased more firepower and some extra shells. I've bought 12 gauge trip wires, built a few other nasty suprises, and designed others.  The wife and I have made shopping lists for both groceries and other supplies.  I did put a whole house generator in and a larger propane tank to run it. But we lose juice a couple times a yr anyway so not wasted. 

We've walked the local stores and identified what we want to buy and quanities. We figure that with it all thought out we can shop fast and efficent while most are still wondering whether to shop or not. We hae stocked up on some things like coffee, salt, A1 sauce, and other little things a person might forget to buy.

so what did I miss that you might have a question about?

The main thing you need to do is set a timetable and follow it. When to do your last shop? When to lock the front gate?
Legacy View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Legacy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 10 2006 at 2:34pm
Oh...no, sorry. The info 2 posts ago about unreported H2H in China. Are you able to cite reliable sources?
I do everything my Rice Crispies tell me to....
MAJDAD View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MAJDAD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 10 2006 at 2:58pm
oldasrocks:  I suspect that your information in China may well be correct.  I have dug into all of the post here which have sent me to a lot of other places.  The dots connect if you are looking to connect them.  The fact that we MAY have a H2H case in Indonesia.  Means that it may be moving.  What most westerners do not understand is that if the Chinese government whats to shut off an area they can and would.  10 or 15 thousand lost, no sweat when you have over 1.5 billion.

Let us all stay on our toes.
Major Dad hopes you are all alive and well and looking out for each other
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 10 2006 at 4:50pm
Originally posted by oldasrocks oldasrocks wrote:

... Through my wifes family we have close contacts in china. I can't comfirm any of this but our people tell us its already going human to human in china and lots of people are sick.....We're totally convinced. But will not do our final shopping until its confirmed.

How distressing for your wife and her relatives to be in close proximity to this looming virus.

Have they said how many people they construe to be ill or dead?

You have important information we are anxious to take notice of. How many days/months do you recommend people prep?

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 10 2006 at 5:20pm
My wife is from Taiwan and they have no bird flu there. Her brother in law has two factories that make cheap clothing in china.  There is no idea of how many sick but he is starting to have trouble finding help. In  the closed media society we will hear what they want to tell us which is 10 dead--yeah right-- AND OR these people may be sick from somthing else. With the pollution problems they have in china its not surpising people are sick.  These poor uneducated people have no idea of what they are sick from.
\
I have no idea of how long to prep for. We are going to try for a year.  Pretty hard to think of everything.  WE may have to eat the fish in our pond but I really don't like fish.  I may eat one of the neighbors cows. 

I'm a poor source for advice.  Every location and household is differant.  Keep reading all the posts and then make your own judgements.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 10 2006 at 7:30pm

Thank you oldasrocks for taking the time to respond my post questions. You are a good source of information from a part of the world with many secrets. I’m inclined to be of the same opinion, the need to prep for a year or more. Lots of beans and rice and salt will help to carry us many extra months in the event of a societal collapse. Again, thank you for your post.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic