Click to Translate to English Click to Translate to French  Click to Translate to Spanish  Click to Translate to German  Click to Translate to Italian  Click to Translate to Japanese  Click to Translate to Chinese Simplified  Click to Translate to Korean  Click to Translate to Arabic  Click to Translate to Russian  Click to Translate to Portuguese  Click to Translate to Myanmar (Burmese)

PANDEMIC ALERT LEVEL
Forum Home Forum Home > Pandemic Prepping Forums > General Prepping Tips
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Tracking the next pandemic: Avian Flu Talk

What foods are you stocking????

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: What foods are you stocking????
    Posted: May 02 2006 at 5:35pm
I was just wondering what different foods people are stocking...We all have the list from this forum but what have you added to it...

I hear a lot about rice, flour, oatmeal, but I really don't have tons of this...
Probably about 20 lbs of rice maybe 35 of flour...

I watch surviver and how much rice can you eat before your so sick of it.

I have bought these Items in bulk:

Complete Dinners That's the name of it.  The flavors I bought were(Stroganoff, Lasagna, Chicken Fettichini (sp)  Only needs water  Comes with meat and a long shelf life.

Baking powder
baked beans
baking soda
barbecue sauce
bisquick
pie mix (Boxed
macaroni and cheese

bread crumbs
bread dough mixes
brown sugar
brownie mix
bullion cube only have beef but need to get chicken
butter
canned apple (for pie)
canned apple juice
canned applesauce
canned asparagus canned blue berry (for pie)
Canned Cranberry
Canned Carrots
Canned Corn
Canned cheese
Canned chicken
Canned fruit Juice
Canned powered Gravy (just add water)
Canned green beans
Canned meat (beef)  I need alot more)
canned mixed fruit
canned Orange Juice (only 7 mouth expiration date)
Canned peas
Canned potato's
Canned Pudding
Canned Ravioli
Canned Olives
Canned Stew
Canned String beans
Canned sweet potato's
canned tea/lemonade (powered)
Canned tomato's (whole, Stewed)
Canned Tuna  (Will all have gills from eating at the Tuna I Bought)
Cases of Fruit Juices
Cat food
Cereal and Oatmeal..(Flavored)
Chips 50 Bags individual bags
Coffee I think I have about 14 pounds so far
corn beef/cans
Cornstarch
Crackers/ Gram
Crisco in can/ regular/ and butter
Daks ham
Dog bones/Food/canned/dry
egg noddles Lot of this
Elbow Macaroni
Evaporated Milk/canned
Flour ( making bread)  Easy to make and cheap...You may never buy bread again.

Hard Candy
Cake boxes Lots
Frosting vanilla/ Chocolate  
Dried Fruit
Chocolate Syrup
Crisco Butter sticks
Raisins
Canned spinach
jarred Cheese wiz
Canned Chili/ with meat
Spam
Onion dry soup mix
Peanut butter and Homemade Jelly Yum w/ homemade bread  Yummy.
Honey
Instant Potato's
Real potato's/ Red /Baking /eastern/
relish just in case we are forced to fish.
Minute Rice/Regular Rice/ and bags and bags of Flavored rice...
ketchup
Mayonnaise (I have a refrigerator in camper) run by propane) and who know we might just have power...I didn't by small jars.
Mac & Cheese
Nuts/mixed Sun flour
Oil Gallons of it.
Pam cooking spray
Permalot milk (long shelf life)  7 months
Pop corn
Potato Pancakes (Boxed)
Powered Creamer
Pretzel
Quick cake/ bread/ just a water
I haven't bought powered milk yet ( Yuk)  I know I have too.
Raman/cases of Chicken
Mushroom soup
Parmesan cheese
Spaghetti Sauce
Stove Top stuffing Chicken/pork flavor
Sugar
syrup
Teriyaki noddles
Thin Spaghetti
Velveeta Mac & Cheese  (Just add water)
Walnuts
yeast

Oh and Chocolate chips 5 lb bay
Water Chestnuts
Canned spaghetti O's
Beefaroni
Soups (All different kinds/They all have some meat in them
I have some Beans canned but not enough

I have the freezer full of meats.  Hopefully we have power and if not the generator will have to do....

I'm sure I left out some things

I will pick up wtshtf lots of eggs/milk/ Parmalat milk/ fresh veggies and fruit/I'll freeze some cold cuts which freeze very will /cheeses/heavy cream. Yogart more butter more rice/flour/oatmeal LOL

So what do you have on you list...I'd love to know.

Ironstone View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ironstone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 02 2006 at 5:54pm
I have almost all of that...some i don't like so i don't have them...also have

Top Ramen
Dried grated potatoes, scalloped potatoes and au gratin
All my mayo is in small glass jars (glass preserves longer than plastic
Peppercorns
Ginger planted in the garden and garlic
Jarred capers
jarred ginger
Corn husks
Masa
Lots of cornmeal and cornmeal bread
Biscotti
Pie crust mix
Grits
Seaweed and Asian rice
Dried beef
Jarred sweet red peppers
Dried tomatoes
Dried mushrooms and canned ones
Lemon crystals
Dried buttermilk
Canned salsa
Table cream
Flavored syrups (for pancakes)
Canned bacon and bacon grease
Hamburger helper and other "helpers"
Jarred lard
Dill and sweet pickles
Pringles
Olives...black and green
Crackers...in jars
Mole.... brown and green
Tika sauce
Chutneys
Masala sauce
A 1
Tabasco
Dried egg whites
Dried onion

That's all i can think of right now
Ironstone
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 02 2006 at 6:18pm

What is Biscotti...I hear alot of people buying that

What's lemon crystals

Ironstone View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ironstone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 02 2006 at 6:24pm
You can make biscotti easily...i use day old bakery pound cake...cut into proper shape and dry in the oven and then package in a vacuum jar.  Great with coffee.  Buy one to see if you like it tho...they are expensive to buy but then you get the idea and they are easy to make.  The lemon juice i checked had limited shelf life on it but the store had lemon crystals (dried lemon juice) in packets like sugar at the quick foods places.  They last forever.
Ironstone
Mississipp Mama View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mississipp Mama Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 02 2006 at 7:43pm
  Hi Ironstone, where did you get your dried tomatoes and mushrooms?  Most of the dried tomatoes i have checked out on the web are very high in sodium.  I sure would appreciate your help.  Please pm me thanks a lot.
Mississipp Mama View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mississipp Mama Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 02 2006 at 7:44pm
  Ironstone where did you buy the can bacon grease.  I had no idea they sold can bacon and grease.  thanks
Ironstone View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ironstone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 02 2006 at 8:50pm
Mississippi Mama, sent you the info.  Life is not worth living without bacon grease.  If you need any more just ask...glad to help. Tongue
Ironstone
KatDoe67 View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KatDoe67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 03 2006 at 4:56am

I've recently switched to a low fat, low sugar, vegan diet for health reasons and had to stop stockpiling till I figured out what I wanted to stock up on.

I've put away some white flour, pancake mix, dried milk, canned goods and a few other staples for my grown son and hubby, but mostly, from now on I will be stockpiling the foods that I'm eating and just share that with my nonpreppers if they want it or need it :-0

I'm living on mostly brown rice and beans already...so...bring it all on :-) My puppy and actually like the stuff :-)

A local health food store will give me 15% off if I buy brown rice and such in bulk, so I'm putting an order in for rice this week and oats the next paycheck.

Soymilk comes in shelf stable cartons at our local warehouse grocery store. They also sell dried fruits. I eat oatmeal and dried fruit and soymilk for breakfast every morning anyway :-0

Orville's jarred popcorn popped in sesame oil is my favorite snack. Totally shelf stable.

I usually eat my brown rice with fresh or frozen veggies, but will just have to eat plain rice with salt, if SHTF. No biggy :-0 I'm playing around with drying veggies a bit. I cook my rice in a pressure cooker, by just bringing the rice to pressure and turning it off and letting it sit for 20 minutes, 2 times. Makes GREAT rice with hardly any fuel and doesn't need to be watched. I need a new (non aluminum) pot though, before adding acidic, dried veggies.

I'm learning to make pita and flat breads, because they are better fat free, which I need right now...so even that is better. I'd like to get a grinder and start making my own flours. Maybe by fall, I'll be able to work up to that.

I'd like to learn to make tofu from soybeans.

I had to stop stockpiling for awhile, to adjust to family members moving away, new eating habits, deciding that some family members could just worry about themselves, etc.

KatDoe67 View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KatDoe67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 03 2006 at 5:00am
I got my dried tomatoes at a surplus and salvage store :-0 In a box, down near the floor :-0 Beautiful, red, vacuum packed ones :-0 For a GREAT price :-) I've been just simmering them in a little water with some italian seasoning and putting them on whole wheat pasta. If I have some other veggies, great, but if not, it's good enough for me and puppy :-0 We aren't that picky :-0
NawtyBits View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NawtyBits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 03 2006 at 7:24am
Is 10 for $10 on Dinty Moore Beef or Chix Stew a good deal?  It wasn't part of my preps, but a buck a can seems like it might be work it.

nawty
P_S_N View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote P_S_N Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 03 2006 at 8:14am
I've been taking advantage of some very good buys recently at a small chain store we have here in California called Grocery Outlet. They often sell items that are over runs, label changes and such. Recently I have purchased:
Shortening $0.99ea
Musselmann's Peach Pie Filling $0.99ea
Musselmann's Apple Pie Filling $0.99ea
Sliced Peaches 29oz (in juice) $0.99ea
Libby's Sliced Carrots 8.5oz czn 4 for $1.00
Toothpaste (asst. national brands) $0.99 ea *one brand even had a toothbrush with the box. These are not travel size but full size tubes.
24oz Canned Ham $3.99ea

This is one of my favorite stores for good buys on canned goods and pastas. Lots of people I know won't shop here because they view it as some junky dirty little discount store. THEY ARE SO WRONG! I shop at Grocery Outlet regularly and often spend far less for the same items I find at other stores. For example those pie fillings were almost $3.00 a can at Food Max recently and the only difference was the label, it was the exact same brand and type. I saved nearly $2.00 on every can I bought at Grocery Outlet.

"When the last individual of a race of living things breathes no more, another heaven and another earth must pass before such a one can be again."
William Beebe, 1906
Penham View Drop Down
Chief Moderator
Chief Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Penham Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 03 2006 at 8:47am
I can't remember everything and I'm too lazy to check my inventory, I am only buying things I know my family will eat.
Canned items:
beans: chili, pinto, refried, black-eyed peas, pork/beans
spaghetti/meatballs
beefaroni
spaghettios
tamales
tuna
chicken
veggies
sandwich spreads
fruit: applesauce, peaches, pears, cocktail
spaghetti sauce with meat (Ragu makes this)
soups
chili
beef stew
potatoes

spaghetti noodles
egg noodles
macaroni
white rice
flavored rices
ramen noodles
mac & cheese
mashed potatoes
boxed potatoes
dried beans
peanut butter

Condiments:
mustard
ketchup
cheese sauces in jar
ranch dressings
mayo in packets

mixes:
cornbread
pizza crust
brownie
cake
pancake
biscuit

flour
sugar
baking powder
chocolate chips
cooking oil
canned shortening
margarine

oatmeal
oatmeal flavored packets
cereal
powdered milk
milk in boxes
juices large containers
juices individual bottles
gatorade
gatorade powder
drink mix powder
water

Also have freezer filled. Will be using foods in certain orders, freezer/fridge first, then things that require cooking/baking (providing we still have electricity) like spaghetti dishes that type thing, then the canned goods will be eaten last since they could be eaten cold if you had to (depending on whether you wanted to contain cooking odors). I got individual bottles of juices in addition to large bottles to be used if there is no refrigeration, so they don't spoil.

Ironstone View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ironstone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 03 2006 at 10:06am
For my preps fats are important.  I switched to olive oil a few years ago and only occasionally have something with bacon grease in it.  I cannot delude myself into thinking that olive oil tastes better...it doesn't.  If we are holed up with just what we have in stock, the fats and taste will be important to us.  So I have all the healthy oils and fats but I also have lard, crisco and bacon grease.  These add a pleasing taste and a fullness that the healthy fats do not give.  The oils i normally use will become rancid much faster and the body will need fats for a proper diet.  Solid fats also have a much longer shelf life and i fear that may be very important if this happens.  Just something to think about if this really does disrupt the food delivery for anything over a couple of years.  Ermm
Ironstone
montanamoose View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote montanamoose Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 03 2006 at 12:33pm
I frequently think I have everything then I read someone else's list! 

I assume that most of us have thought of SPICES!  I made a master list of all recipes I plan to use if this happens and the total amount of spice needed, then I checked out our local coop/health food store where all spices are sold in bulk.  For under $70 was able to purchase several POUNDS of spices including chicken/beef buillion mix for 50cents/pound.  Topped off current spice jars and vacuum packed everything else.  Money well spent as I will use everything.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 03 2006 at 2:16pm
My list is about the same as everyone else's.  Just had to post how incredibly excited I was to discover soy milk.  The store had an end cap of them 10 for $10 last week - with an expiration of feb 2007.  I bought 20.  Came home and tried it.  Fantastic!  So much better than powdered!  Went back this week and wouldn't you know it - still on sale and got all they had left 10 more. 
JMcB View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JMcB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 03 2006 at 3:13pm
This thread is making me hungryTongue I am working off the list below for a  pantry. Still need to add a few things (more milk, wheat) but we are close.

3 Months Family of 4

FOOD ITEM                                TOTAL LBS.

Canned Meat                                    12

Canned margarine,
            powered eggs, etc..                            7

Dried beans, peas, lentils,
            etc,...                                                  17

Dried fruit juice and
            concentrates                                       22

Dried Fruits, canned
            fruits (equil to fresh weight)                90

Jello,tapioca, instant pudding               9

Grains, rice, oats, millet
            etc..                                                    80

Non Fat dried milk                            105

Peanut Butter                                     14

Potatoes (equal to fresh weight)        44

Salt                                                       8

Shortening oils                                    27

Sugar, honey                                      30

Dried / Canned vegatables                 31

Wheat                                                 200

Edited by JMcB - May 03 2006 at 3:14pm
montanamoose View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote montanamoose Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 03 2006 at 3:25pm
JMcB, great post with the pounds! 
TomMI View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TomMI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 04 2006 at 7:11am
I just wanted to comment on this topic and everybodys lists. It looks to me like water is lacking on most of these lists. In fact, on one list, its the last item. Its my position that we can all have tons of food, but actually, water is equally, if not more important. Everybody needs to find every way possible to store as much water as possible. We can go a lot longer without food than we can without water. This is where I am now placing my greatest emphasis.
2ifbyC View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 2ifbyC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 04 2006 at 7:36am
Originally posted by TomMI TomMI wrote:

It looks to me like water is lacking on most of these lists. 

Some folk like myself may have an ample source of water that requires no packaging. If I  posted my list you would not see stored water, but you would find a filter system. Just a thought...
Survival does have an 'I'!

Dodging 'canes on Florida's central Gulf Coast
roxy View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roxy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 04 2006 at 7:41am
nawtybits, dintymore stew in ct. on sale 1.69$ , 10 for 10 good deal, there was a recipe on the can ,adding sour cream, and egg noodles, the kids love it, stretched the meal ,  roxy
Legacy View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Legacy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 04 2006 at 1:33pm
Hi Tom...you might also consider investing in a good purifier that will render almost any water source (excluding saltwater) drinkable. I ended up choosing the MIOXX, which I believe came from the planforflu website. We have both a large lake and a river nearby, so, although I'm storing some water, I'm not afraid of running out. Evidently, the MIOXX will work, like, forever. Good luck!
I do everything my Rice Crispies tell me to....
Penham View Drop Down
Chief Moderator
Chief Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Penham Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 04 2006 at 8:40pm
I think (I hope) it is probably a given that people are stocking water. The original post asked about what foods people were storing. I have cases of bottled water, gallons of water, a 55 gal drum to fill and many other empty containers to fill, a washer to fill, 2 bathtubs to fill in addition to our 12,000 gallons of pool water. And will hopefully be able to collect rain water. Yes, water is very important, maybe we should list it with our food in case there is someone that is new or doesn't know that we need lots of water stored in addition to our food.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 06 2006 at 8:41pm
For those of you stocking mainly beans and rice... any canned good with liquid will make the rice and beans much more enjoyable. Soups, ranch style beans, stews etc.
Freeze dried, and dehydrated foods are also good additions to long term storage.
MAJDAD View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MAJDAD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 06 2006 at 10:19pm
Legacy:  I have also gotten one of those.  With the test strips and battery you can only do 50 gallons of water (200 liters)  Batteries will go quick.  Currently looking for rechargeable ones with a solar charging unit.  Stock up on lots of table salt.  (Sam's has it by the pound)  I have 3 extra bottles of test strips hope to be able to clear the water with that much practice and not need any more test strips.
Major Dad hopes you are all alive and well and looking out for each other
Legacy View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Legacy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 07 2006 at 8:20am
Majdad, I'm glad you mentioned this. It was my concern, too, that once I ran out of test strips, i'd be toast.  Several weeks ago, I called the manufacturer's 800 number, and they put me in touch with a retailer in Colorado that sells the "refill" kits containing salt and test strips. I got the owner on the phone, and he was the coolest guy...a real wilderness buff. He had a MIOXX of his own that he's been using for years, and he said he'd be glad to sell me the refill test kit, but simple table salt is all that is needed. When I asked about the test strips, he assured me that, as long as you "double treat" the water, it is always safe for drinking. He had done this over and over on many of his "treks". I was so happy! I did, actually order the batteries in bulk somewhere on the web...I just can't remember where, but it was, like, 25.00 for 12, I think. Hope this helps...this is why I like this forum!
I do everything my Rice Crispies tell me to....
kittles View Drop Down
advanced Member
advanced Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kittles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 07 2006 at 11:04am
I bought lithium batteries for my  MIOXX at Surefire.com
They sell them 12 for 21.00, or 72 for 126.00
Also bought one of their great flashlights. Very fast shipping.
I haven't had a chance to sit down and play with the MIOXX water
filter yet. So it's just regular table salt I need? Thought I might have needed rock salt or something, haven't read instructions yet either! LOL
Did buy refill set, but glad to know I don't need the test strips.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 07 2006 at 5:07pm
I love other people lists, so interesting
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic