Click to Translate to English Click to Translate to French  Click to Translate to Spanish  Click to Translate to German  Click to Translate to Italian  Click to Translate to Japanese  Click to Translate to Chinese Simplified  Click to Translate to Korean  Click to Translate to Arabic  Click to Translate to Russian  Click to Translate to Portuguese  Click to Translate to Myanmar (Burmese)

PANDEMIC ALERT LEVEL
Forum Home Forum Home > Main Forums > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Tracking the next pandemic: Avian Flu Talk

Make your own tamiflu

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
advanced Member
advanced Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote melfl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Make your own tamiflu
    Posted: May 09 2006 at 5:58am
http://pubs.acs.org/cgi-bin/sample.cgi/jacsat/asap/html/ja0616433.html

Make your own tamiflu, I'm off to home depot for some mixing buckets!Big smile
oknut View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oknut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 09 2006 at 7:12am
melfl,

What I've read about the production of tamiflu indicated that it was a very lengthy, complicated and dangerous procedure that uses Chinese star anise along with chemicals.

Didn't sound like a potential home project.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 09 2006 at 8:31am
Actually, the active ingredient in Tamiflu is available in pine tree needles.

Oh Christmas Tree
Oh Christmas Tree
Your "leaves" are never changing.
oknut View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oknut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 09 2006 at 8:33am
Really? Yuk!
Tea made from star anise is tasty, but pine needles?

Is it the same ingredient or is the information I read wrong?
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 09 2006 at 8:42am
"The next step in the synthetic sequence was a novel SnBr4-catalyzed bromoacetamidation reaction which was completely regio- and stereoselective using N-bromoacetamide (NBA) in CH3CN at -40 C that converted the diene 9 to the bromodiamide 10, the structure of which was verified by single-crystal X-ray diffraction analysis (of the racemic methyl ester). We surmise that this interesting process involves the transfer of Br+ from an SnBr4-NBA complex to the ,-bond of the diene ester 9 followed by nucleophilic attack on the intermediate bromonium ion. Other applications of this useful process will be described in a separate publication. Cyclization of 10 to the N-acetylaziridine was rapid and efficient using in situ generated tetra-n-butylammonium hexamethyldisilazane and provided the bicyclic product 11. Reaction of 11 in 3-pentanol solution containing a catalytic amount of cupric triflate at 0 C occurred regioselectively to generate the ether 12,9 identical by NMR, IR, TLC, and mp with an authentic sample.5 Finally, removal of the Boc group and salt formation with phosphoric acid in ethanol afforded 1·H3PO4 (Tamiflu). "

No sweat, I can do that!  Home Depot, here I come!
Karianne View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Karianne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 09 2006 at 10:19am
Originally posted by TrailsEnd TrailsEnd wrote:

"The next step in the synthetic sequence was a novel SnBr4-catalyzed bromoacetamidation reaction which was completely regio- and stereoselective using N-bromoacetamide (NBA) in CH3CN at -40 C that converted the diene 9 to the bromodiamide 10, the structure of which was verified by single-crystal X-ray diffraction analysis (of the racemic methyl ester). We surmise that this interesting process involves the transfer of Br+ from an SnBr4-NBA complex to the ,-bond of the diene ester 9 followed by nucleophilic attack on the intermediate bromonium ion. Other applications of this useful process will be described in a separate publication. Cyclization of 10 to the N-acetylaziridine was rapid and efficient using in situ generated tetra-n-butylammonium hexamethyldisilazane and provided the bicyclic product 11. Reaction of 11 in 3-pentanol solution containing a catalytic amount of cupric triflate at 0 C occurred regioselectively to generate the ether 12,9 identical by NMR, IR, TLC, and mp with an authentic sample.5 Finally, removal of the Boc group and salt formation with phosphoric acid in ethanol afforded 1·H3PO4 (Tamiflu). "

No sweat, I can do that!  Home Depot, here I come!

LOL

It may be easier just to go find a pine tree to chew on.

Kari
crystal View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote crystal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 09 2006 at 3:59pm
Trailsend - huh?
peace
sweetpea View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sweetpea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 09 2006 at 4:16pm

... doesn't chai tea have star anise as one of it's ingredients?  ... as for the pine, I'd wonder if you could burn the pine needles and breathe that - seems it would reach your system alot faster ...

just my thoughts ...
"When an emergency arises, the time for preparation is past."
oknut View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oknut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 09 2006 at 4:22pm
We drink a lot of brewed ice tea. I've been making it with star anise, oolong and peppermint. It's really good, quenches your thirst and doesn't need sweetening.

I doubt that it will afford us any protection though.
The stuff I read - not all this scientific stuff that I don't understand - indicated that the raw material wouldn't be of any use. It's only after all the chemical stuff takes place that it becomes anti-viral.

I used to drink hot tea made from star anise and spearmint over 30 years ago and we would add brown sugar to it - it was wonderful.

I think that smoke from burning mullein leaves is supposed to be good for the lungs.

Who knows?
tazman View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tazman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 09 2006 at 4:50pm
you can buy star anise at indian stores. Very reasonable cost.
I put it in my tea pot and it gives it very pleasant taste. I don't know if it will protect against bf.
Email me your favorite links:My Email
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 09 2006 at 5:02pm
whatever plant might have the main ingredient in tamilflu, some strains are resistant to tamilflu; and the more people take it, the more other strains might become resistant.  Possibly taking plant ingredients that are similar might not prevent the disease, but make you drug resistant.  It's an expensive bet to buy the medication, and perhaps a useless or dangerous bet to be guessing how much star anise will kill virus without harming you.  Not saying don't do it, but be careful.
PreparedRU View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PreparedRU Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 09 2006 at 6:07pm
    Why would you go and do that when all you need are gloves, a facemask and protection for your eyes! that's proably alot less risky than mixing chemicals

I am prepared are you get the P95 Triosyn mask, its the best!
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 09 2006 at 7:30pm
The odds of making an herbal remedy that would work as well as tami******....is well close to non exisentent.  Tamiflu may not work.  If we all prep a bit and get the non beleivers to do just a bit maybe we can avoid the empty shelf syndrome.  I truly beleive that would be the best way we can benefit society. 
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic