Click to Translate to English Click to Translate to French  Click to Translate to Spanish  Click to Translate to German  Click to Translate to Italian  Click to Translate to Japanese  Click to Translate to Chinese Simplified  Click to Translate to Korean  Click to Translate to Arabic  Click to Translate to Russian  Click to Translate to Portuguese  Click to Translate to Myanmar (Burmese)

PANDEMIC ALERT LEVEL
Forum Home Forum Home > Coronavirus Pandemic: Prepping Forums > General Prepping Tips
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Now tracking the new emerging South Africa Omicron Variant

Wide Areas of Operation Recon Idea

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 2ifbyC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Wide Areas of Operation Recon Idea
    Posted: May 10 2006 at 11:36am

Last night I was reading how some folk are planning to monitor their areas of operation (read acreage) if TSHTF. There was talk of outer ring foot/mounted patrolling, clearing shooting lanes, night vision equipment, remote trip devices, etc. Then it ‘hit’ me:

Radio Control (RC) hobby aircraft with a miniature TV camera transmitter.

Just think of the territory that one could cover with even a slow aircraft at altitude! Some cameras even have infrared (IR) capability for night time recon. Place some battery powered IR sticks in known locations on the ground as a nighttime reference. Intruders would be easily highlighted and position located. Plus the IR camera could also spot camp fires or heat sources (i.e. truck, ATV, etc.) outside your perimeter for an advanced ‘heads up’.

How to keep track of your bird? I can think of two solutions using markers.

There is a ‘light wire’ in different colors that runs off the receiver batts that can provide a nighttime visual reference for flight control.

Or if you have night vision (NV) goggles, you can place IR reflectors on the bird for the same purpose. Note that depth perception is limited with NVGs.

RC aircraft vulnerability is very slight. During light hours approach the recon sector from the sun and egress by 'backtracking'. At night even with ‘markers’ the odds of someone hitting the bird is almost nil due to no size, speed nor altitude reference. That’s if they detect the bird at all. Plus if someone fired at the bird they would reveal their location. Win, win!

I would suggest to randomize your flight schedule and to land your Remotely Piloted Vehicle (I like the military nomenclature!) from different approaches.

Add the cost of a horse, feed and tack and you could probably put together a sweet recon platform. It would cover more area in one flight without exposing yourself than you and your mount could in a month.

For entertainment you could buzz and drive off the migratory birds! LOL

At one point I had collected some RC links but that ‘puter crashed. So if you’re interested go here to gather aerial photography info: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=128 .

There are some outstanding video links over there that are amazing!

You also have a wide variety of aircraft frames and power options which are comprehensively discussed in a friendly environment. Lots of help there. For power I would go with the newer battery driven electric motors in that they are quite and rechargeable.

If you have any other ideas, please post 'em! Thumbs Up

BTW I am not an RCer. But I did a little research a while ago as I’ve always wanted to get into it but never took the time to do so.

Survival does have an 'I'!

Dodging 'canes on Florida's central Gulf Coast
JaxMax View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JaxMax Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 10 2006 at 12:55pm
This is a great idea!!

Thanks for the post.
He who walks with the wise grows wise, but a companion of fools suffers harm.Proverbs 13:20, The Bible
montanamoose View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote montanamoose Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 10 2006 at 1:27pm

Thanks! We've been brainstorming how to secure our wooded acreage.  the forest is too dense to see people approaching.  We have cleared a few "viewing" lanes but there are just too many trees some over 100 ft and dense underbrush.  We're working on clearing the underbrush  and some trees for a 150 ft diameter around the house.

We do keep loaded guns at all doors and also one upstairs for a better angle.  We can also escape out of our basement but only if the bad guys weren't waiting.  We have a window in the basement that is boarded from inside but back filled outside.  It would be only 3-5 minutes work to dig to the outside if we were trapped in the basement.

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 10 2006 at 4:42pm
xx
2ifbyC View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 2ifbyC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 10 2006 at 5:06pm
Originally posted by Survivor Survivor wrote:

I wonder what the range is for stationary remote cameras?  

How 'bout 600 feet wireless for $129 here: http://www.securitycamdepot.com/catalogs_i3258672.html?catId=125611 ?

Survival does have an 'I'!

Dodging 'canes on Florida's central Gulf Coast
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic