Click to Translate to English Click to Translate to French  Click to Translate to Spanish  Click to Translate to German  Click to Translate to Italian  Click to Translate to Japanese  Click to Translate to Chinese Simplified  Click to Translate to Korean  Click to Translate to Arabic  Click to Translate to Russian  Click to Translate to Portuguese  Click to Translate to Myanmar (Burmese)

PANDEMIC ALERT LEVEL
Forum Home Forum Home > Main Forums > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Tracking the next pandemic: Avian Flu Talk

Will radio be the new T.V. if the flu hits?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Will radio be the new T.V. if the flu hits?
    Posted: May 10 2006 at 7:42pm
    I think there will be a totally new appreciation, and utilization of, radio. Before television whole families sat and listened to dramas acted out with sound effect done with props, as well as singers and comedians. I think this could be one of the good things that comes of a pandemic. Television has so overtaken our culture. If power goes out, and it will, many people will not have back up power for television, but almost everyone has a radio. What do you think?
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 10 2006 at 7:45pm
Think I will fire up my old base station if need be.Approve
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 11 2006 at 1:48am

That would be tight, but unfortunately I dont think it will work that way. Most power companies/plants have continuity plans to keep a steady, if reduced power flow, often by shutting down a generator/reactor and focusing staff on another. Unless absentee figures are far greater than expected power comapnies should still be able to power their countries (at least in the "first world") during critical hours, that is working day for commercial and morning/evening for domestic, the times when TV is most watched. Shame.

Prof.Ferguson View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Prof.Ferguson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 11 2006 at 4:11am
therese, i think MfM has good points. if power is available for broadcast/cablecast/ at all, people will be glued to their tvs whenever possible. and again, if power is available, i think people are more likely to turn to tihe Internet, cell phones, text messaging, etc. than to turn to radio.

radio is a "hot" media in that, like newspapers, it requires more engagement of the audience member's brain; one can't really "get" radio without investing some listening and imagination effort. tv, etc. does all the work for us, so to speak.

i'm not sure anyone will have the mental energy for much of anything when TSHTF.

although Therese, i sure wish you were right!!!!!
Time's up. It's here. If you're not ready, you should have been - we all were warned.
JaxMax View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JaxMax Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 11 2006 at 1:29pm
During our numerous hurricanes, some of the radio stations simulcast the audio from a TV station precisely for viewers with no electricity.

So unfortunately, you then have the worst of both worlds. The vapidity of TV without the graphics.

Radio is a very powerful medium. Just look at Rush Limbaugh and Dr. James Dobson's Focus on the Family.

Radios were used a lot when the power was out for over a week.
He who walks with the wise grows wise, but a companion of fools suffers harm.Proverbs 13:20, The Bible
stockmama View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stockmama Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 11 2006 at 3:44pm
We have a backup generator at the station I work at, broadcasting at only half power to serve locally when power goes out.  I know that at the very least, my services will be needed, and sanitation there is always good....EVERYTHING is disinfected at shift change,  we have always been that way.  So huh...me and my can of LYSOL alone in a room talking to myself.  Cough, Cough, wheeze!   Can always do my show at home from out studio here if the power stays on to email it to the station.  Lots of options, depending.   Local being the keyword here, national TV is one thing, but I have found that where we are, local news is priority, only radio can do that well. 
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic