Click to Translate to English Click to Translate to French  Click to Translate to Spanish  Click to Translate to German  Click to Translate to Italian  Click to Translate to Japanese  Click to Translate to Chinese Simplified  Click to Translate to Korean  Click to Translate to Arabic  Click to Translate to Russian  Click to Translate to Portuguese  Click to Translate to Myanmar (Burmese)

PANDEMIC ALERT LEVEL
Forum Home Forum Home > Main Forums > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Tracking the next pandemic: Avian Flu Talk

Are you packing Heat along w/ preps?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 456
Poll Question: The question is how many rounds do you have, or plan to stockpile?
Vote Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
29 [16.11%]
11 [6.11%]
20 [11.11%]
7 [3.89%]
9 [5.00%]
84 [46.67%]
15 [8.33%]
5 [2.78%]

Author
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Arkansawyers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 27 2006 at 11:43am
Bill 100 we sell a lot of M&Ps lately at the range/sporting store I work at and shoot at.   They are a good gun...they are currently the new cool, gun to have b/c of the publicity you yourself just mentioned.  If you want one, by all means It'd be perfectly satisfactory.  Just be clear that that's certainly not the only pistol worth having, or even the only/or best one to have for that application.  If you want that one, get it, if you'd like to look at many...don't feel you can't...there's lots of neat choices on those lines.   Glocks and XDs are quite similar CZ75 or the 40 Cal version, just to name a few.   Also, try a few caliber variations...how you feel about recoil varies from person to person.   9mm is less, but less power, some people feel that .40 is only slightly more and .45acp is much heavier recoil.   Some (me included) feel .40 is a sharper slap and .45acp is more of a push, and would rather shoot a .45 than a .40....it just varies.  A good place with an indoor range might be nice to visit, b/c they'll often (I think, ours does) have several types and calibers of demo guns that you can rent cheaply and try...invaluable for ending up with something you know you're gonna like....      

Did you guys see the earthquake that just came in on the news from Indonesia....3000+ feared dead, etc.?    Those poor folks, things just keep happening to them....this isn't happening at all at a good time for virus control in the country...   :(      jg
"Praise be to the Lord my rock,
               who trains my hands for war,
               my fingers for battle."
                                             Psalms 144:1
flholland View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote flholland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 27 2006 at 11:53am

I think the initial reason they confiscated the guns started when the police officers found guns on the "bad guys", the looters and people wandering the streets looking for trouble. Additionally, early on,  a police officer was shot in the head. I'm sure this,  combined with a lack of police officers on the job, gave them reason to feel they needed to confiscate everyone's guns.  Also, as they began loading people on the buses from the Superdome and Convention Center, they checked everyone for weapons and found lots of people with them. As for the average citizens, merely meaning to protect themselves and their families...well, yes they took theirs too. 

And yes, you're right, a suit was filed on behalf of the average citizens who had weapons confiscated. The city has agreed to return them. However, many of the people have not yet returned to the city or simply have not shown up to claim them. Also, there was no adequate record kept on which gun belonged to who.  People who try to collect their guns have to show proof and no longer have their records due to the house flooding. It's going to take time to return them.

If a weapon is in your home, the police/military are not going to search your house. They don't have enough man-power for that. Guns were taken from people who were outside or in vehicles and the weapons were visible. We had three weapons in our home and then in our vehicles. We had to go through numerous military check points and no one searched our car.

I could be wrong, but I just don't see this as being a problem, unless you walk outside totin a weapon and allow others to see you.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 27 2006 at 12:27pm
Ok, y'all, I need an opinion here:

I'm in the market for a decent pistol (9mm) and have so far seen two that i really like and are at the same price point. A Beretta 92, and an FNP 9mm. I've read what i can about both guns, but still at a loss to choose. Anyone have experience with either one?

For the record, my last 9mm was a Taurus 99 (similar in style to the Beretta), but it was stolen some years back (reported it immediately)

Awaiting your response(s)
Bill 100 View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill 100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 27 2006 at 12:47pm
Thanks for the come back arkansawyers (I have been a Trucker too). I don't have a indoor range in my home town but I have two bigger towns close by. They should have one, I will check it out. Thanks again
2ifbyC View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 2ifbyC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 27 2006 at 1:15pm
Originally posted by FictionWriter FictionWriter wrote:

A Beretta 92, and an FNP 9mm.

FW,

Can't help you on the two you're considering. But I have a CZ75 and absolutely love it. It was one of the very few that fit my rather small hands comfortably. Plus it was a few buck$ cheaper. Just an FYI...

Survival does have an 'I'!

Dodging 'canes on Florida's central Gulf Coast
Dijoy View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dijoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 27 2006 at 2:40pm
We are having trouble with knives over  here in Uk let alone guns
Diane
Diane
Arkansawyers View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Arkansawyers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 28 2006 at 12:00pm
I wholeheartedly second 2ifbyC's CZ75 comment.  I have the 75B and I shoot that gun harder than anything else.   Its reasonably priced...mine's been utterly reliable, suits my hand very well (my hands are larger/wide in the palm).   Its accurate, dependable for probably over 12000 rounds now, and will run without jamming till its so dirty the slide sticks back.  Its my favorite gun, despite many a choice out there.  Its a steel gun, laid out like the Browning.    :)  

Dijoy....won't let ya'll have a KNIFE?!  Youch!   How 'bout one of those flattened out looking cricket bat things?   For starters, and then maybe they relax on it a bit if you join a shooting sport organization and get some type of permit??  
  jg
               my fingers for battle."
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 28 2006 at 12:35pm
If I lived in the UK I'd leave. Sounds like only the bad guys have the guns.

Arkansas  why dont you come on up and we can compare notes?
I'd come down but my V10 Dodge only gets about 10 mpg.

We're still lookin for more people.  I've decided I'd dream of an RN who is a massage therapist too. Whos husband is a Green Beret.
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Arkansawyers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 28 2006 at 3:00pm
May have to do that at some point.... :) 

Trying not to be too quick to suggest vacating the UK, but, man, that's awfully restrictive.   You'd be welcome to a visit and the prospective tour here, you know.  We'd be glad to show ya'll around and introduce you to nice folks.

Taking the boy out to camp (yeah, in the chiggers, I know) for the rest of the weekend.... see ya'll.....  jg
               my fingers for battle."
556NATO View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 556NATO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 31 2006 at 8:41am
Packing here.  1000+ .223 for the AR's.  500+ .45ACP for the Kimber (wifey's) and USP 45.  plus components for handloading another 1000+ for both rifles and pistols.

Oh, and hello everyone.  Great site.

RedTea View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RedTea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 31 2006 at 8:45am
My dad is a gun nut, and I was raised with the comfort of a small arsenal, I expect that things won't change much for BF, but I'm adding a resounding HELL YES to weaponry being a neccesity!
A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort!
556NATO View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 556NATO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 31 2006 at 9:09am
Originally posted by Turboguy Turboguy wrote:

snip.....my Rem M700 can do 1" groups out at 400!...snip

I will pay $100 to see you put 5 rounds downrange on a target at 400 yards in a group less than 1" (no other holes in the paper).  Getting a little big for your britches aren't you?  I'm in the South East Texas area.  Willing to travel in Texas to see this....waiting patiently for a response.

V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Arkansawyers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 31 2006 at 2:16pm
Somewhat Off topic...anyone know what happened to packing.org?  Very useful for CCP info and its totally disappeared...I kind of depended on it for essential details when traveling....thought it'd show back up but it seems to be GONE...
               my fingers for battle."
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 31 2006 at 4:17pm
Look into "Travel Laws".....in Texas, it gives a broad definition of what is leagal.Cool
Fastcard View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fastcard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 01 2006 at 2:53am
556 Nato,

I for one would not give Turboguy a hard time, don' t you have someting better to do? Like practice shooting.

My rifle is not as accurate as the Rem. 700 I built  for my boss that came with an R5 stainless barrel. His rifle, now that it is broken in shoots ten shot through what looks like one ragged hole. It shoots close to half inch groups at 200 yards. It is being put in a Accuracy international stock this summer and we are really going to wring it out.  These rifles are all 308s.

A Bible verse that is just perfect...... for the situation.
556NATO View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 556NATO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 01 2006 at 9:15am

I am not an "operator".  I do practice....more than most.

3 shot groups are not significant in measuring the accuracy of a rifle.  5-10 or more is considered a "group" by most standards.  3 is typically considered a "group" on the internet.  If you can do it with three, you should practice until you can do it with at least 5.  Make the 5 mark, move up.

My M700 .308 is not kept in a hardcase.  It is kept in an Eagle pack/mat.  Not every shot is logged in a book as I shoot this rifle in the field at least once a year at targets that are not paper.  I do keep a round count for these conditions.  My glass does have a mil-dot reticle.  I do not own a laser range finder (a milling reticle makes a range finder extra weight).  I do not purchase ammo by lot.  I handload it with components sorted by lot.  I never claimed that I know the exact ballistics of my round for every situation, temperature , angle and wind.  I do know the ballistics well enough to easily put rounds COM up to 700 yards in most* situations.  You may bask in anything you wish.  I obvioulsy would be the one to "muddle" through bc I can't print 1" groups at 400 yards.

My challenge still stands.  I will pay him $100 if he will let me witness this.  I never said he couldn't do it.  I accused him of being a little big for his britches as this is a significant feat.  If he really can consistently print 1" groups at 400 yards, he needs to take up 1000 yard bench rest as he will likely be a feared competitor. 

ETA.....I have shot some pretty significant groups but I cannot do it consistently so I don't claim that I can...I also appologize if I sounded like a jerk, not my original intention.  I just grow tired of armchair commandos claiming that they can shoot groups that would win matches.  I have had two others take me up on similar challenges....I still have my 100 bucks.  If he can do this...like I said, he needs to be competing.
Fastcard View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fastcard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 01 2006 at 11:23am
556 Nato,

I hear alot of  outlandish stuff from people too, My point  was that  a  1/4 minute of angle group  at 400 yards is not an impossibility. Doing it out in the field  is probably not going to happen.

I don't think that three shot groups are definitive either, I also think that you are  going to get  a target to standstill for 5 or 10 rounds either. Shooting rifles is getting to be a lost art.
I am more interested how I am doing with my shooting. In the field the variables are so many just your job is just putting the shot together.

Welcome to the Forum...

A Bible verse that is just perfect...... for the situation.
TradeCrafter View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TradeCrafter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 02 2006 at 12:17am
I am a Firearms Instructor in TN.

If you are going to "pack heat" please do so after being qualified/certified by your state.

At our local range, we often have Police Officers and Security Guards who are minimally qualified.  Please do not go out and buy a gun and become one of these marginal shooters.

We are available. We are people who can instruct you in the safe and proficient shooting of firearms.  We can teach you to "present" and accurately fire against an adversary/bad guy without hurting yourself or innocent bytstanders.   Do not buy a gun before you talk with a state certified handgun instructor, from whatever state you live.

In most states, thanks to the NRA and enlightened state governments, you can carry legally after attending a few hours of training and a few $$$ in administrative fees, to carry a handgun.

Do the research.  It's worth the time!

I will never wittingly lie to you or manipulate you.
seesthelight View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seesthelight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 02 2006 at 12:26pm
Originally posted by TradeCrafter TradeCrafter wrote:

I am a Firearms Instructor in TN.

If you are going to "pack heat" please do so after being qualified/certified by your state.

At our local range, we often have Police Officers and Security Guards who are minimally qualified.  Please do not go out and buy a gun and become one of these marginal shooters.

We are available. We are people who can instruct you in the safe and proficient shooting of firearms.  We can teach you to "present" and accurately fire against an adversary/bad guy without hurting yourself or innocent bytstanders.   Do not buy a gun before you talk with a state certified handgun instructor, from whatever state you live.

In most states, thanks to the NRA and enlightened state governments, you can carry legally after attending a few hours of training and a few $$$ in administrative fees, to carry a handgun.

Do the research.  It's worth the time!

TraderCrafter....I hope "they" listen..  
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seesthelight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 02 2006 at 2:01pm
Originally posted by Jefiner Jefiner wrote:

You have an agenda, and this is not the place to work it out. 

And how dare you use some poor girl's bad choice and unfortunate end to advance your particular cause?  This is waaay beyond tacky and lame--it is in incredibly bad taste, but I guess I should have seen it coming--

The gun didn't kill her--she killed herself, and if there is no gun available, a determined suicide will find some way to do themself in.

In the meantime, if you choose not to have firearms, good for you.  It's a free country.  Me, I am not counting on you to help me out in the next driveby we have on our street.

Now, take it somewhere else. 

Originally posted by seesthelight seesthelight wrote:

Originally posted by bruss01 bruss01 wrote:

[QUOTE=seesthelight]
[QUOTE=bruss01]seesthelight -

This post is intentionally rude in the hope of waking you up to reality.  No apology will be forthcoming. Your posts were an insult to us all.

Your rudeness, as you stated, is right in order with "packing weapons".Please don't expect everyone here, to think exactly like you. This forum is about others thoughts and ideas, not a place where "one" (YOUR-IDEA rules).As far as the remark made by you re:  contributing to this thread, I doubt your the judge of that.

The rest of this post is to anyone who is interested in opening their minds to the other aspects of this-whether to pack guns or not to pack guns. It is truly a much deeper issue than what meets the eye.

A friend lost a 14 year old to suicide because she knew where the bullets to their gun were kept in their home, her father was a psychiatrist , her mother a nurse-to boot. They didn't see it coming.I guess heaven was a lure for her daughter, as she has stated and she often wonders why people talk of heaven this way,where teens choose it over life because its glorified.  She lives with this loss and no one now can tell her having the gun was a good thing.

So pack your gun->Bird flu pandemic - someone stealing food etc...may NEVER happen but the possibility of the above happening is greater than most want to/ or will admit.

Jefliner..your the one with the agenda and all those who were terribly rude here...you know who you are.

My agenda if I had one is knowing what it is like to lose a child to the flu while in Japan , he was dead but I wont given into panic which is what this thread IS about.

SO yeah THE GUN DID KILL THE GIRL IN MY EXAMPLE AND I STAND BY IT>>

so go away all YOU TROLLS who think bullying here is your god given right....  now you take it somewhere else now JEFLINER>

2ifbyC View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 2ifbyC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 02 2006 at 6:17pm

I wont given into panic which is what this thread IS about.

Sorry I can't let this one go... Please show us where anyone has panicked or supports panicking in this thread!

If you have no agenda, please answer my questions of May 18th.

so go away all YOU TROLLS who think bullying here is your god given right.... 

It is my DUTY as a concerned prepper to properly inform people of their options when they ask and I happen to be somewhat knowledgable in the subject matter. Many here, including myself, get upset when someone with just feelings try to advise others looking for pertinent and reliable information.

If you decide to not arm yourself, so be it. But to create a strawman argument (girl's suicide) is at least disingenuous if not evidence of a phobia.

You supported firearm training earlier this PM . So where do you really stand on firearm ownership? Do YOU know?

Yes, some have come down hard on your position. But when you are inconsistent in your logic, don't be surprised when others step on your logic and your feelings.

...now you take it somewhere else now JEFLINER>

Whoa! Now there's a mature and rational response. Wink I think Jefliner, I and others are quite comfortable right where we are, thank you.

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 02 2006 at 6:21pm
Every weapon in this house is loaded all the time.  There is a gun in every room where we know it is. We have never shot ourselves. Why do we even answer people like that?  The are just looking to blame someone or something besides the victim.
Jefiner View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jefiner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 02 2006 at 7:12pm
so go away all YOU TROLLS who think bullying here is your god given right....  now you take it somewhere else now JEFLINER>

awwww, you poor thing . . . come on over here and you and I  can sort it out.

I still say--

back under the bridge with you, spineless little trolllll!

Jefiner

Either you had no purpose

Or the purpose is beyond the end you figured

And is altered in fulfilment.    T. S. Eliot   
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 02 2006 at 9:43pm
I am good on the .223, 9mm, 308, 7.62x39, .22, and 45acp, but I have less than 250 rounds of .357, 44 mag, 38 special, .32, and 9x18, 00 shot, and no slugs!  Now that I think about it I do need more 9mm. LOL
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seesthelight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 03 2006 at 6:32am
Originally posted by 2ifbyC 2ifbyC wrote:

I wont given into panic which is what this thread IS about.

Sorry I can't let this one go... Please show us where anyone has panicked or supports panicking in this thread!

If you have no agenda, please answer my questions of May 18th.

so go away all YOU TROLLS who think bullying here is your god given right.... 

It is my DUTY as a concerned prepper to properly inform people of their options when they ask and I happen to be somewhat knowledgable in the subject matter. Many here, including myself, get upset when someone with just feelings try to advise others looking for pertinent and reliable information.

If you decide to not arm yourself, so be it. But to create a strawman argument (girl's suicide) is at least disingenuous if not evidence of a phobia.

You supported firearm training earlier this PM . So where do you really stand on firearm ownership? Do YOU know?

Yes, some have come down hard on your position. But when you are inconsistent in your logic, don't be surprised when others step on your logic and your feelings.

...now you take it somewhere else now JEFLINER>

Whoa! Now there's a mature and rational response. Wink I think Jefliner, I and others are quite comfortable right where we are, thank you.

Firearem ownership is not for me..I made that clear. I can't stop people like you and others from doing so but how they are obtained and used is my concern, I do support training because it makes sense if you have a gun. I am consistent and I reiterated what was said to me RE: what is mature and rational. Gun training is the only sensible thing I read here, if it works. I wonder how many actually have training though ( an FBI instructor in demo to his students shot himself in the foot, so much for responsible informed behavior because where guns are concerned accidents STILL happen and that is a fact. He lost all his crediablity after he injured himself and could no longer teach, this kind of story is rather ironic but proves all the TALK in the world doesn't change the damage a gun can do...and if you felt your prepping and gun ownership was all you needed than I doubt we would be discussing this at length. I was never the troll it is the one pointing the finger on that score that worries me, the forum here is a group effort and it takes cooperation.  If all you want is an unbalanced view then be my guest...

It has been said here on this forum- not by me-  ..that there are more members on this forum than those who actually post messages...and you wonder why? Anyone who disagrees must be a troll. oh yeah now i get it.duh~
2ifbyC View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 2ifbyC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 03 2006 at 8:59am

FIrearem ownership is not for me..I made that clear.

Certainly your choice. Most of our objections to your post was the suicide reference and for that reason no one should have a firearm. Another point of contention is that you blame the firearm for the girl's demise. Firarms are inanitmate objects, just like the car you drive or tools you may use. They do not maliciously select victims and discharge themselves. This is why asked you about blaming car keys, bridges, elevators, etc. if the girl had used another method of suicide. I am still hoping you'll answer.

I can't stop people like you and others from doing so

Thank goodness! I sure you would if you could and that also irks many of us.

but how they are obtained and used is my concern

It should be everybody's concern.

I do support training because it makes sense if you have a gun.

On that point we totally agree!

I am consistent and I only reiterated what was said to me. that is fair and about as mature and rational as what was said to me.

Question Question Question

ANd it is panic and fear that spurs this topic. If you felt secure with your preps there would be no need to talk about it.

Again your logic and reading comprehension is in question here. Let's try this. Do you:

have home insurance?
purchase extended warranties?
buckle your seat belt?
dress properly for the current weather?

You DO?!?! Well you must panic whenever you step into your home, purchase an appliance, sit in your car or step outside! No wonder you're here bad mouthing firearms. You're afraid our guns will shoot you! Or worse yet, you're afraid your own gun will shoot you. Tsk, tsk, sad world you live in within yourself. Don't try to pull us in with you.

We're quite capable of making our decisions without panic or phobia based upon our experience and knowledge. Others here have decided to purchase a firearm as insurance after reading this thread. Why should we let your phobia impact our decisions? Hmmm...?

I thank you for replying in a non-emotional manner in your last post. Hopefully we can continue discussing this topic without the emotional outbursts on BOTH sides.

Some may say that we're wasting our time in responding to you. I say that even if we do not convince your that a firearms is just a tool, we may convince others that they can take another step toward self reliance and security.

Hopefully you live in a VERY secure area or you're in a location where one of our membership will take pity on you and provide protection. Nothing personal, but I wouldn't. That's why I encourage others to arm themselves.

You are what the 'bad guys' call a 'soft target' and 'easy meat'. The government and law enforcement WILL NOT be there for you when TSHTF. This is not panic, phobia nor hysteria. Read the NOLA stories. It's REALITY!

ETA Well you changed your previous post while I was typing my response. But what you now say changes nothing I've written.

V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seesthelight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 03 2006 at 2:49pm
the answer to your question...anything that takes a life of a child....is of concern to me. ....I lost mine a year ago to the flu as I said before while he was in Japan..so to me this weapons topic should come back full circle to how bird flu relates to guns...as it was not about guns and say protecting oneself from a wild bear...but it was about preventing people from coming after one's family and its a means of survival.  I stared death in the face with a person I loved beyond belief...i heard of a friends child die from a gun -she grieved for 16 years- but she reached out to me....I am sorry....this bird flu is too tragic to bring guns into for me. Survival is not worth my soul. I think there are ways to go out and using a gun..atleast my gun( i do not own one but i did grow up in a house with some used for hunting and I still didnt like that) would not be my choice as it seems to be most of yours. If someones comes for me with their gun..maybe its my time and maybe its not.    I won't spend time here worrying about it....I would rather think of ways to help someone out before i die. its a choice and we all have to make on our own.
2ifbyC View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 2ifbyC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 03 2006 at 3:30pm
seethelight,

I just noticed that you list your location as Brunei Darussalam. Had I seen this earlier maybe I would have cut you a little slack due to possible cultural differences.

But still the bottom line is protecting my family at ALL costs. Would you have protected your son's life with a firearm if needed?

I'll agree to disagree. Wink

Please keep us posted as to your local BF situation if you would. Thanks.

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 03 2006 at 3:51pm
My... I go off to a new job and come back to find this thread is still screaming! COOL!

Originally posted by 556NATO 556NATO wrote:

3 shot groups are not significant in measuring the accuracy of a rifle.  5-10 or more is considered a "group" by most standards.  3 is typically considered a "group" on the internet.  If you can do it with three, you should practice until you can do it with at least 5.  Make the 5 mark, move up.

I never said "regularly does" anything I said, "my Rem M700 can do 1" groups out at 400!" My M700 is the TWS package. It's very accurate right out of the box, but it's accuracy didn't really take off until I had about 300 rounds through it. My groups are 3 shots and I guess you're right I should move up to five, but when I do I end up with a flyer that sends my group to about 2 1/2.

My M700 .308 is not kept in a hardcase.  It is kept in an Eagle pack/mat.  Not every shot is logged in a book as I shoot this rifle in the field at least once a year at targets that are not paper.  I do keep a round count for these conditions.  My glass does have a mil-dot reticle.  I do not own a laser range finder (a milling reticle makes a range finder extra weight).  I do not purchase ammo by lot.  I handload it with components sorted by lot.  I never claimed that I know the exact ballistics of my round for every situation, temperature , angle and wind.  I do know the ballistics well enough to easily put rounds COM up to 700 yards in most* situations.  You may bask in anything you wish.  I obvioulsy would be the one to "muddle" through bc I can't print 1" groups at 400 yards.

You reload, have all that hardware and can't make a 1 inch group at 400 off a bench? The bench I shoot that off of has so little human input it's nearly impossible to NOT make excellent groups.

My challenge still stands.  I will pay him $100 if he will let me witness this.  I never said he couldn't do it.  I accused him of being a little big for his britches as this is a significant feat.  If he really can consistently print 1" groups at 400 yards, he needs to take up 1000 yard bench rest as he will likely be a feared competitor.

I live in MN, I'd love to come down there and take you up on your challenge, and chances are your money, but the distances are far too great. I guess you're just going to have to take my word, which on the internet isn't much, but it's going to have to do. I'll be moving close to oldasrocks tomorrow (Sunday) so will be offline for about a week or so.

ETA.....I have shot some pretty significant groups but I cannot do it consistently so I don't claim that I can...I also appologize if I sounded like a jerk, not my original intention.  I just grow tired of armchair commandos claiming that they can shoot groups that would win matches.  I have had two others take me up on similar challenges....I still have my 100 bucks.  If he can do this...like I said, he needs to be competing.

I'm far from being an "armchair commando," as I never said I could do it consistently. Maybe you should READ WHAT I WRITE instead of jumping to some conclusion. I said "CAN" not "does regularly." In perfect conditions and with luck anyone can do this. If you don't like it that on occasion my rifle is capable of making unbelievable shots, I'm sorry, You're just going to have to live with it.

And maybe you should give some of my other threads a read before you go ahead and call me an Armchair Commando.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 03 2006 at 3:56pm
Quote I am good on the .223, 9mm, 308, 7.62x39, .22, and 45acp, but I have less than 250 rounds of .357, 44 mag, 38 special, .32, and 9x18, 00 shot, and no slugs!  Now that I think about it I do need more 9mm. LOL

Sweet Jesus man!!! How much ammo do you have!?! I've got a buttload of 7.62x39, .223, and .308, but if I had that many caliber of gun to feed I'd be in poverty!  
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 03 2006 at 4:44pm
I would recommend a Ruger Mini-14. Police carry these rifles. They are light weight and shoot a .223 bullet which is the same caliber that the US military use. So there is plenty of ammo. If your on the cheap than you can purchase a AK-47. This shoots a 7x39 caliber bullet. The ammo for this gun is cheap and there is lots of it.
Both of these rifles are great for home defence and hunting. The only problem is that most states dont allow these rifles to be used for hunting as the bullets travel for a long distance. In the event of a pandemic I dont forsee the DNR out looking for illegal hunting.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 03 2006 at 8:47pm
We are prepared with a shotgun and about 1000 rounds. I am looking at a small pistol for myself and found this one that looks good, Taurus Model PT-22. Does anyone know anything about this gun?

Also, you all seem to think that it will get "that" bad. I know there are bad guys out there but I live in a relatively safe town.  But after reading this thread, I did realize there are towns which are within 20 miles of me that have gangs. 

I watched the news about New Orleans and heard some stuff but it is faded from my memory. Just how bad was it?

You know, its bad enough we have to worry about having enough food and making sure no one gets sick, and taking care of them if they are, but just recently I am starting to fathom and worry a little about people breaking in and hurting us or killing us.  Unhappy
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 04 2006 at 10:50am
The PT -22 should be a real good weapon but a .22 does not have much stopping power. I have a  PT 24/7 in 9mm and like it. Look at the Wather P22 also. A little more money but a quality weapon.  Personally I would buy another shotgun. you have plenty of ammo. A pistol is only good for close in house. A shotgun is a little better. if you can't handle a 12 gauge buy a .410 for yourself.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 04 2006 at 2:47pm
BoJingles, most states don't allow you to use AK47's and especially .223 weapons because they're horribly underpowered, not because the bullets fly a long distance. I have a couple .308 rifles which are right around three times as powerful as any 7.62x39 or .223 and they're only medium sized deer rifles!

A mini-14 is a great poor man's AR15, I agree totally. The only problem with AK's is that the ammo for them is hard to find at the moment, and if you do they're going for a premium since so many people own firearms that shoot the 7.62x39.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 23 2008 at 9:36am
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 23 2008 at 9:40am
as you see the autos are less accurate at 100 yards.
DANNYKELLEY View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DANNYKELLEY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 23 2008 at 9:47am
I have semi and full auto,I pefer semi,full auto might help during a zombie  attackBig%20smile.But for urban areas a semi or a 12ga is what I want in my hands!!!
WHAT TO DO????
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 23 2008 at 10:03am
Originally posted by DANNYKELLEY DANNYKELLEY wrote:

I have semi and full auto,I pefer semi,full auto might help during a zombie  attackBig%20smile.But for urban areas a semi or a 12ga is what I want in my hands!!!

you know bro. you got too get out of the urban areas

that is why i am going more rural areas, like in the nevada desert for my stand.

Turboguy View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Turboguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 23 2008 at 11:28am
Gnarrrg.... BrAAAinnzzzzz...

Zombie thread!

Question then Cole: You move out to the Nevada desert, like *OUT* in the desert. Where's the water going to come from?
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 23 2008 at 11:32am
Originally posted by Turboguy Turboguy wrote:

Gnarrrg.... BrAAAinnzzzzz...

Zombie thread!

turbomaster
where have you been?
Turboguy View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Turboguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 23 2008 at 7:36pm
Currently in Georgia at Ft. Benning.

It's over seventy degrees every day so I'm not complaining too much. When I left MN it was twenty degrees and had snowed eight inches. Screw the cold, we need global warming.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 26 2008 at 3:57pm
Heard this on YouTube, its suppose to be on the news?  3/25/08,  Anyone know anything about this?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Paraphrased:
Do you think the police have a right to search your home?  Will you voluntarily let police into your homes to look for guns?  The police will give you amnesty in trade of  giving consent to them to search your home for guns. While in your home will they look for anything?  Do  you think the police will give you Amnstey for consent, like they say they will ?   And is it true that they  mainly target intimidated vulnerable women and around 12 noon?  "Mind if I come in and look for your guns?" We'll give you Amnesty.
The ppl. in DC are saying NO! Quite a few ppl. dont like it. 

A controversial program was handed out in the form of flyers today 3/25/08  in DC urging ppl. to allow officers to come in their home and search  for guns.   
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 28 2008 at 8:31pm
Turboguy View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Turboguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 28 2008 at 9:18pm
Sounds quite a lot like what the Waffen SS and the Nazi's told the Jews just before they took all their guns away.

We all know where that led them...
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 456
  Share Topic