Click to Translate to English Click to Translate to French  Click to Translate to Spanish  Click to Translate to German  Click to Translate to Italian  Click to Translate to Japanese  Click to Translate to Chinese Simplified  Click to Translate to Korean  Click to Translate to Arabic  Click to Translate to Russian  Click to Translate to Portuguese  Click to Translate to Myanmar (Burmese)

PANDEMIC ALERT LEVEL
Forum Home Forum Home > Pandemic Prepping Forums > General Prepping Tips
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Tracking the next pandemic: Avian Flu Talk

cheap ideas under ten dollars

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TNbebo408 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: cheap ideas under ten dollars
    Posted: January 21 2006 at 7:19pm
Rbarnes55 asked about making a list of cheap supplies. I will start the list with stuff I know is under ten bucks and where I get them. Everyone, PLEASE add your cheaper items and lets keep it simple, and CHEAP.

Dollar store, dried beans, rice, canned beef, chilli, soups, ramen soup mix, dry milk, toilet paper, paper towels, cleaning supplies, hand sanitizers, personal cleaning items. Tea, coffee, sweetner. Coffee filters for water filters only. Bleach, laundry supplies. Plastic totes, lidded garbage cans, for water storage, you MUST keep water in dark and cool.

I did buy each for person in the home, three towels, three wash rags, and three hand towels, three changes of tough clothes, work clothes like, 12 pairs of socks, 12 underwear and one extra pair of boots.

Sav a lot, canned veggies, spam, dry beans, rice, BIG bags of beans 50 LB, they have big bags flour, meal, rice also. Salt cured ham, keeps a year with no fridge.

Walmart, awful place but, solar lights, coleman fuel, coleman parts, small arms ammo, shotgun, 22 rifle ammo. They too high on 30 caliber stuff.

northern tools, Solar lights, sealed ammo cans, they are $12 but worth it for food storage. Duct tape, tarps, wheat grinder, corn grinder, hand water pump, tools. Look em on net.

Harbor freight, Solar lights, 12 volt jump start units, solar chargers and more of the same, and look em up also.

Local coop, or tractor supply company, white salt blocks, fifty LB for $3.50 Rubber water troughs to catch rain water.

Please everyone, add your ideas and place to get them. We are a scattered group, few of us seem to be close to another member. Our shopping places will vary.

Zoe, I expect a question from you on the three towels, but you from the South so you may know the answer.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 21 2006 at 7:41pm

Sorry Bebo, you got me on the towels.  I'm sure there is a wonderful bit of wisdom behind it though.  The clothes I understand.  Maybe you can hang the towels in the sun to dry and sanitize on a rotational basis????  No need to run them through the ringer.  Laundry used to be the WORST home keeping chore going.

I value your insights into prepping.  Not everyone can afford to buy a years supply of regular menu items and canned goods.

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 21 2006 at 7:48pm

Well, I just thought of what you might be alluding to.

Personal hygiene...as in toilet functions?

TNbebo408 View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TNbebo408 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 21 2006 at 7:53pm
No Zoe it's simple. When I moved in with my Grandfather, he handed me three towels, and three wash rags and said here is three of each for you boy.
One to be using, one to be clean, and one to be dirty.
TNbebo408 View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TNbebo408 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 21 2006 at 7:56pm
I wonder if I am the only person on this site, that knows from personal experience.
Everybody has to use lime at the outhouse, it all stinks.

koolsteve View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koolsteve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 11 2006 at 2:47pm
you dirty bastard. stealing my top ramen idea.  
ninjas rule
Penham View Drop Down
Chief Moderator
Chief Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Penham Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 11 2006 at 3:15pm

Dollar Tree (everything is 1.00) I found alot of over the counter meds, all generic brands, but have the same ingredients as: Tylenol, Motrin (both adults and kids liquid), Phillips Milk of Magnesia, Pepto Bismal, Loratadine 5ct., lots of vitamins 30ct. multi, C, echinachia (sp?), garlic, many others, muscle rub, cortizone cream, alcohol 1.00/2, peroxide 1.00/2, sunscreen, latex medical gloves 10ct, plastic gloves 100ct, duct tape, 4ct. batteries AA, AAA, C, D, 9v (9v is only 2ct). hand sanitizer, anti bacterial hand wipes 40ct. they had face masks but they were the wood shop type 10ct.

Dollar General: generic Benadryl 1.50, anti-diarhea pills 30ct. 3.00, $5.00-15lb cat food & dog food, cheap toilet paper 6pk 1.00 and papertowels 3pk 1.25. Also have choldrens vitamins 60ct 2.00 and One A Day for adults 3.00 several types, 1.00 baby wipes, canisters of drink mix 1.50.

Angel View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Angel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 11 2006 at 4:14pm
Don't forget matches.
Angel
TNbebo408 View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TNbebo408 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 11 2006 at 5:01pm
Don't but matches, buy a zippo, some flints and fluid, matches are trouble.

Hey Steve, I didn't steal your ramen idea, I been eating them since you was just a twinkle in your grandpappy's eyes.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 11 2006 at 7:47pm
Picked up a neat item at a Dollar Store.  A sonic alarm, with a grenade style pin, that when pulled, sounds the alarm. About the size of a pack of cigarettes. Uses a 9 volt battery (not included). Very loud.

Figure strategicly placed, with a monofiliment trip line, it will provide a good early warning system.  Use it on doors, or in the back yard.  Loud enough to scare off most intruders, and if not, I'll have advance warning.

Also, picked up several of the Faraday style flashlights (shake to charge). About $5 each.  Work very well, holds a charge at least a week, and reasonably bright. Doesn't require much shaking to light the LED bulb, and it runs for quite a while. 

Rocky View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rocky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 15 2006 at 10:59am
I have begun making my own body wash toweletts according to a helpful
post a while ago. It involves cutting a paper towel roll in half (a messy job,
anything better to do this with than a large serated knife?) This process
leaves lots of small pieces of paper that come off the cut edges.

Then I soak the towels in a cup of water, baby oil and shampoo. Store them
in an airtight container.

I was wondering if there was anything I could add (alcohol, hyd. peroxide,
antibacterial liquid soap, bleach?) to make these wipes into antibcterial
wipes, rather than just cleanup body wipes.

Thanks. Rocky
Prepare for the Unexpected!
Rocky
http://www.homeemergencyusa.com
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 15 2006 at 11:04am
Don't leave home without it.
Buy them while you can.

Revised 2003-06-05

What is an N95 respirator/mask?

How do I put on a N95 respirator/mask?

How long can I wear my mask for protection ?

How do I remove my mask?

http://www.phac-aspc.gc.ca/sars-sras/ic-ci/sars-respmasks_e. html

Edited by Rick
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 15 2006 at 11:32am
dollar store..lemon juice 2 for a dollar....
worriedlilchic View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote worriedlilchic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 15 2006 at 1:29pm
Today is the day after Valentines Day so don't forget that all the candy will be on sale.  So, if you are wanting to put up some sweets then this would be something good to do.
worriedlilchic
CHUCK-91 View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CHUCK-91 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 15 2006 at 1:42pm

1st post;

Careful buying stuff at Dollar General, sav-alot etc. Much of their stuff is cheap because it is close to expiration date (got lightly burned myself before I learned to check experation dates and/or "born on dates"). This is particularly important with things like meds and BATTERIES. Only just found this site so if this has been mentioned before, pardon my ignorance.

libbyalex View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote libbyalex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 15 2006 at 2:38pm
Chuck -- Welcome on board and thanks for the reminder! -- Libby
htpp View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote htpp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 15 2006 at 7:11pm

Rocky, I bought a cheap electric knife At Wal-mart to cut my Bounty rolls in half.  It works very easy and lasted a very long time.

Here's what I have written down in my notes for Bounty bleach wipes but I think the water amount is too much, I'd start with a cup and 1/2 and let it set for a while, then if you needed more you can add more.   I make these occassionally and plan to start using them again but I clean now mainly w/vinegar and water:

CLOROX clean-ups

1 roll of BOUNTY paper towels (Must be Bounty)

3 cups water

3/4 teaspoon bleach

Boil (or use very hot water) and pour over paper towels.  Can transfer some to plastic baggie for travel. 

htpp View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote htpp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 15 2006 at 7:12pm

One more thing, dont' forget to take out the cardboard middle after they sit for a few minutes or it will get moldy.  I save my containers from 5 gallon ice cream containers to store them in and they also sell the plastic containers at Wal-Mart that work perfectly for a couple of dollars.

zumble View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zumble Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 15 2006 at 7:47pm

Also, for those of you with an Aldi's in range...they are cheap, food is of good quality, and the expiration dates are lengthy.

scooter View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scooter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 18 2006 at 8:01pm
Has anybody heard that oatmeal last forever? is there special storage precations?
birdflueducation.net
libbyalex View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote libbyalex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 18 2006 at 8:29pm
Scooter -- I store oatmeal either in glass jars with bay leaves or in airtight buckets with oxygen absorbers. If you store it in glass jars, freeze it first (for a few days) to kill any bugs that might be in it. -- Libby
libbyalex View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote libbyalex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 18 2006 at 8:32pm

Cheap places to buy stuff:

National Wholesale Liquidators.....

Also Big Lots and Dollar Stores....

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic