Click to Translate to English Click to Translate to French  Click to Translate to Spanish  Click to Translate to German  Click to Translate to Italian  Click to Translate to Japanese  Click to Translate to Chinese Simplified  Click to Translate to Korean  Click to Translate to Arabic  Click to Translate to Russian  Click to Translate to Portuguese  Click to Translate to Myanmar (Burmese)

PANDEMIC ALERT LEVEL
Forum Home Forum Home > Pandemic Prepping Forums > General Prepping Tips
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Tracking the next pandemic: Avian Flu Talk

SARS experiences about masks wearing

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AnitaRNpulmo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: SARS experiences about masks wearing
    Posted: January 22 2006 at 10:06am

Toronto nurse’s experience:

Today the protocol of strict isolation is set. I have to don the now requisite gowns, gloves, HEPA masks and goggles. I negotiate the note writing, medication mixing and a multitude of other tasks with my dexterity impaired by gloves. Nothing however compares to the mask. A pounding headache, lethargy and disorientation appear a short time into each shift and last through the remaining long hours

From start to finish of every shift, all these precautions -- including the masks -- have to stay on at all times or our infection control barrier would be broken. I can't lift my mask to inhale a breath of fresh air, grab a sip of water, or even wipe sweat out of my eyes. A nurse in our staff did become infected because she relaxed her precautions and removed her mask. She has recovered since, hopefully.

Our protective clothing requirement is later increased to two layers: I become over-heated under all the layers, dizzy and light headed from the lack of air, the sweat begins to trickle down my face, my goggles fog over and my thick face mask sticks to my skin. We are all drowning in sweat under the double gowns, double gloves, goggles and double masks. We are finding doing even the standard procedures harder through double gloves and fogged-up goggles.

A medic was known to run a marathon or two. He's now finding running up two flights of stairs exhausting. It isn't the climb, it's the gowns, gloves and masks that make it a sweltering run. By the time he gets to patients he's often out of breath, straining for air through the mask.

I'm glad I'm not yet nursing, tells another nurse. So I don't have to wear the mask all the time. The mask created another problem for me - I turned out to be allergic to the safety shield !

Later some staffs moved to Stryker suits (hoods with N100 filters) to ensure they're protected from the virus. The Stryker suit is cumbersome and hot. It really did make it harder to work. The visibility isn't quite as good. It is hard to hear what other people are saying. Everything's kind of muffled under that hood. Still, that is the reality SARS teams are going to have to get used to.

Each patient has an isolation room, with no curtain or object that isn't deemed vital. Only hard surfaces, which can be easily wiped, are allowed. Inside and outside every room is a disposal system for gowns, garbage, etc. The unit entryway is a safe space for the staff between double sets of doors at the nursing station. After the second set of doors, we start preparing: putting on double gown, double gloves. We're already wearing our masks. Before entering the wing, we put on a yellow gown. Patient's doors are firmly closed at all times. A knock on the door signals the patient to put on a mask so the nurse can enter.

Because we should have alarmed the public by going out in masks, the hospital let our staff take taxis to and from work, but we even had to wear our masks in the cab! At home we have changed our lifestyle to vigilantly avoid contamination. We're living separate lives, having as little contact as possible, and being careful. When facing my family, I wear the mask …

Staff education is an important point. "You not only have to train people how to go into this protective gear but how to come safely out of it," says an infection control nurse. "So it's training, training, training."

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 22 2006 at 10:17am
Thank you AnitaRN.  It was as informative as it was depressing.
AnitaRNpulmo View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AnitaRNpulmo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 22 2006 at 12:25pm

About masks and SARS experience.

During SARS highest prevalence, employees in public area of airport (Paris) as the hostesses in reservation desks, welcome and information desks, were fitted with 3M 1873V valved healthcare respirators. Some Eastern companies provided their attendants on plane with respirators too. Travellers from East Asia had to wear surgical masks or respirators.

On a local TV report, the Airport employees and a lady who has travelled about 9 + hours on the plane told how it was being fitted with such masks …

Think that in most countries, if the big pandemic occurs, people will be compelled to stay at their job to let the things running on. I have read an official planning text (government site - last week) which specifies who will be on; if we lack of medical staffs, nurses students and medicine students will replace the ill or quarantined workers, as instance. All will have to wear the masks.

Chicken Hawk View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chicken Hawk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 24 2006 at 10:06pm

Maybe this has been asked before, so forgive me if I am repeating a question that has already been addressed.

Will we need to wear masks continuously, even in our homes or only if we venture out? I am certainly not planning on going anywhere, but I am just curious. What about wearing goggles and gloves?

V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AnitaRNpulmo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 25 2006 at 1:58am

Not as plain, depends on your activity outside, if you have a suspect or sick or immune depressed memeber at home - and the virulence of the strain !

out yes in crowded places and at job.

at home if you are in close contact with sick people (medics see previous post)

at home if you are nursing a sick member ...

goggles are a must be are uncomfy (foggy) and prompt  to make leakages ...A full face or hood is better if high risk.

gloves yes but with a right hygiene handwashing, ....

Tired View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tired Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 25 2006 at 8:08am
AnitaRNpulmo, I have been trying desperately to open up the PM 's you sent me, but for some reason I get some sort of error message!!!

Better to be safe than sorry....
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AnitaRNpulmo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 25 2006 at 8:37am
tired I think that this forum has some bug with PM function - email me at anita.mail@wanadoo.fr
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic