Click to Translate to English Click to Translate to French  Click to Translate to Spanish  Click to Translate to German  Click to Translate to Italian  Click to Translate to Japanese  Click to Translate to Chinese Simplified  Click to Translate to Korean  Click to Translate to Arabic  Click to Translate to Russian  Click to Translate to Portuguese  Click to Translate to Myanmar (Burmese)

PANDEMIC ALERT LEVEL
Forum Home Forum Home > Main Forums > Latest News
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Tracking the next pandemic: Avian Flu Talk

Romania ~ Worst Case Scenario So Far

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jhetta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Romania ~ Worst Case Scenario So Far
    Posted: May 14 2006 at 10:34am
Bird Flu Outbreak In Brasov County, Central Romania, Is The Worst Case Scenario So Far – Health Minister

http://www.mediafax.ro/english/articole-free/Bird-Flu-Outbreak-In-Brasov-County--Central-Romania--Is-The-Worst-Case-Scenario-So-Far-----Health-Minister-489467-9.html

BUCHAREST, MAY 14

The situation in Brasov County, central Romania is the worst case scenario considering that, for the first time, the bird flu virus was identified at a poultry farm, and because many of the infected birds were sold in four counties, said health minister Eugen Nicolaescu.

The authorities in Brasov County ordered Sunday that the poultry farm in Codlea village would be closed down and the area placed under quarantine after confirming the existence of the H5 bird flu virus.

The authorities said, subsequent to the epidemiological investigation, that the H5 bird flu virus was identified at Drakom Silva poultry farm from which a salesperson in Fagaras town bought poultry and sold them to several inhabitants in Hurez village where the bird flu was identified Friday.

The local authorities say that Drakom Silva poultry farm registers almost 118,000 birds and around 2,800 of them have died so far.

Given the situation, the Central Anti-epizootic Department banned any poultry transportation on Romania’s territory.

The data provided by the authorities indicate the fact that this is the only active bird flu outbreak at present and the first in Transylvania, central Romania.

The first bird flu outbreak was confirmed on October 14, 2005 in Ceamurlia de Jos -Tulcea County, eastern Romania, one week since identifying the first suspect bird flu cases and the area was placed under quarantine.

In the months to come, the bird flu also affected nine counties where 53 outbreaks were identified, of which 14 outbreaks only in Constanta County- southeastern Romania, and other counties such as Braila, Buzau, Calarasi, Dambovita, Dolj, Ialomita, Ilfov and Tulcea, southeastern Romania.

The bird flu virus was also identified on wild fowls found dead in Buzau, Constanta, Olt and Vaslui counties.

To prevent the bird flu from spreading, the authorities placed under quarantine the areas where the bird flu virus was identified, culled the infected poultry and paid damages to their owners.

Over 420,000 birds from 16,100 households were culled and the costs with the disinfection, lab tests and so on reach RON11.2 million.

The last outbreak in Deleni village, Constanta county, southeastern Romania, was seen fading on April 21.

Edited by Jhetta - May 14 2006 at 10:35am
Commonground View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Commonground Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 14 2006 at 12:41pm
http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/afp_world/view/208331/1/.html

Posted: 15 May 2006

Romania to cull one million birds after bird flu outbreak

BUCHAREST : Some one million domestic fowl are to be culled in Romania after the potentially deadly H5N1 bird flu virus was found in three locations in the centre of the country, Romanian Agriculture Minister Gheorghe Flutur said on Sunday.

"Almost one million birds will be culled in total in central Romanian
regions that have been hit or could be hit by bird flu," Flutur said during a press conference.

"The discovery of bird flu in a farm is a first in Romania, since the first case of the disease was detected on October 7, 2005. We will quickly cull the farm's approximately 350,000 chicken, as well as other poultry in contaminated centres," he said.

According to an investigation by the anti-epizootic committee, a farm in Codlea already delivered poultry "illegally" to three counties in central and eastern Romania.

On Sunday evening, veterinary health authorities said they had seized almost three tonnes of chicken that could be infected by the bird flu virus in a supermarket in the eastern town of Galati.

The poultry meat was apparently delivered to the supermarket by the Codlea farm, according to the head of the Galati veterinary health bureau, Viorel Gheorghita, quoted by the news agency Mediafax.

After they had announced in late April that the H5N1 virus, which can be deadly to humans, had been eradicated in their country, Romanian authorities found new cases in the central town of Hurezu Friday.

On Sunday, the National Veterinary Health Agency (ANSVSA) said it had found the H5N1 virus in Fagaras, in the centre of the country, as well as in a poultry farm in Codlea.

According to ANSVSA president Ion Agafitei, this farm was "responsible" for spreading the virus, after it sold contaminated chickens to several farmers in Fagaras and Hurezu.

"Transporting poultry has been banned in the whole country and disinfection filters have been put in place in the affected regions," Flutur said.

Health Minister Eugen Nicolaescu also said the drug Tamiflu had been given out to residents in the affected regions, to prevent a possible human case of bird flu.

In total, cases of bird flu have been found in 56 locations in Romania and over 420,000 birds have been culled since the virus was found in poultry on October 7, 2005, in the Danube delta region, in the south-east of the country.

No human case of bird flu has been found in Romania to date. - AFP/de

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 14 2006 at 1:59pm
Originally posted by Commonground Commonground wrote:

http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/afp_world/view/208331/1/.html

'. . . After they had announced in late April that the H5N1 virus, which can be deadly to humans, had been eradicated in their country, Romanian authorities found new cases in the central town of Hurezu Friday.'

Hmmm....now about that article over the wire, in all our newspapers this morning, regarding Vietnam and Thailand (and possibly China) having the BF under control ...... Hmmmmm......!

Edited by ReadyMom - May 14 2006 at 2:02pm
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Commonground Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 15 2006 at 4:30am
I have been searching for a half hour, and I've yet to find a translation site (free) for Romania? Anyone out there than can get this translated?   It came out of Romania.

Egy héttel azután, hogy a földcsuszamlások elpusztították házaikat a Seciuri település lakóit újabb veszély fenyegeti: a betegségek. Közel 60 gyerek betegedett meg amiatt, hogy az es?s id?ben felhúzott sátrakban kellett lakniuk. Az Építésügyi miniszter, Borbély László saját szemével gy?z?dhetett meg az esetr?l, és azonnali megoldást javasolt: a sátrak lakókocsikkal való helyettesítését. Ugyanakkor a falu felé vezet? út is beomlott az es?zések miatt. Borbély László igéretet tett az embereknek, miszerint a tél beáltáig új házakba költözhetnek majd az emberek. Addig is elrendelte 60 lakókocsi kiszállítását az árvíz súlytotta településre, hiszen a sátrak már nem lakhatóak.

RELATED EVENTS     
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 15 2006 at 4:32am

I have been searching for a half hour, and I've yet to find a translation site (free) for Romania? Anyone out there than can get this translated?   It came out of Romania.

Egy héttel azután, hogy a földcsuszamlások elpusztították házaikat a Seciuri település lakóit újabb veszély fenyegeti: a betegségek. Közel 60 gyerek betegedett meg amiatt, hogy az es?s id?ben felhúzott sátrakban kellett lakniuk. Az Építésügyi miniszter, Borbély László saját szemével gy?z?dhetett meg az esetr?l, és azonnali megoldást javasolt: a sátrak lakókocsikkal való helyettesítését. Ugyanakkor a falu felé vezet? út is beomlott az es?zések miatt. Borbély László igéretet tett az embereknek, miszerint a tél beáltáig új házakba költözhetnek majd az emberek. Addig is elrendelte 60 lakókocsi kiszállítását az árvíz súlytotta településre, hiszen a sátrak már nem lakhatóak.

RELATED EVENTS     

Don't know what it says but it sounds serious when I read it aloud
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Commonground Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 15 2006 at 4:57am
This is the site I used: http://hisz.rsoe.hu/alertmap/woalert_read.php?id=6067&lang=eng
Click on the "Epidemic Hazard" Icon and it brings up the info. (in Romania).

This is the information. what caught my eye was "Event Type: Epidemic Hazard"; and "Number of Injured Persons: 60 persons". I sure would like to get that translated.......
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 15 2006 at 5:00am
I'm looking .... but It's going to be  hard:

Languages of RomaniaThe official language of Romania is Daco-Romanian. Generally known as Romanian, this language is spoken by around 90% of the population of Romania, this includes the Bayash gypsies who, their own language being lost, speak a significantly differing dialect influenced by Banat, Romani and Hungarian. Today, there are around fifteen spoken living languages in Romania including Hungarian, Romani, Turkish, German and Serbo-Croatian.
belarusmama View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote belarusmama Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 15 2006 at 5:19am
Just a few more details

Bird flu returns to Romania

Romania is confronted with a very serious case of bird flu: for the first time the disease broke out in a poultry farm

published in issue 3678 page 2 at 2006-05-15

Bucharest - The H5 virus has been isolated in Brasov County in Hurezu and Fagaras as well as at the poultry farm Drakom Silva in Codlea.

There are another two poultry breeding farms in Codlea that have revealed bird flu cases, and if the virus is confirmed 600,000 birds could be culled further.

The Health Minister, Eugen Nicolaescu, warns that the situation in Brasov is much more serious than those encountered so far, since this is the first time the disease broke out in a poultry farm that made deliveries to four counties. “This situation calls for a different handling of the case,” Nicolaescu also said, adding that sanitary actions were swift, as the people that came in contact with the birds concerned were sent enough anti-viral medicine Tamiflu, especially that the poultry were supplied in large number to four counties.

The Minister of Agriculture, Forests and Rural Development announced that the transport of the birds has been banned over the whole territory of Romania further to the identification of the bird flu virus H5 in Brasov County. Further to tests made on samples taken from chicken from Hurezu, the commune of Beclean, Brasov County, the latter were positive for the bird flu. In order to prevent the expansion of the virus, the central authorities decided that exempted from this decision will be only the farms at industrial level and the institutions with obligations in terms of bio security connected with these transports. Moreover, the culling of 3,300 birds has begun at Hurezu, but the authorities continue to be concerned because the Animal Health Diagnosis Institute has confirmed the suspicion of bird flu also at Fagaras. For this reason, a farm from Fagaras was closed on Sunday, and 150 chickens were culled. According to the local authorities, samples from two households from the city of Fagaras, where there were suspicions of diseased birds, and from chicken farms from Codlea, were sent for analysis. The authorities pointed out, further to the epidemiological investigation, that a citizen domiciling at Fagaras had purchased birds from Codlea, and then re-sold them to 11 households from Hurez and Fagaras, preserving also several for himself. According to a communiqué of Brasov Prefecture, immediately after the confirmation of the focus, special prophylactic and monitoring measures were instituted at Fagaras and in all the neighbouring communes. Sanitary filters were also set up in the chicken farms, it was decided to maintain the domestic chicken in closed spaces, and the access of the birds to rivers and ponds was prohibited.
http://www.nineoclock.ro/index.php?page=detalii&categorie=homenews&id=20060515-5129
Now get back to work!
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Commonground Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 15 2006 at 5:25am
ReadyMom, I really don't know if it's Romanian. I'm just assuming.....
A little background, so everyone here can/will be a little patient with me. I am a 49 year old homemaker, with a 12th grade education, married 25 years. I was very happy with my life as it was, but   I now have entered into this world, which I share with all of you, as we have some "common ground". I find myself at "translation sites" while eating breakfast, trying to decipher Dr. Niman's commentaries when he gets really technical, and looking up statistics on pnemonia. I do all of this, because I have come to the conclusion that I cannot rely, nor trust, the CDC, WHO, or our Government to do it for me, or to be honest for that matter. I won't waste my time grumbling about that. My focus will be to stay informed as best I can.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 15 2006 at 5:59am
'Morning Commonground!  Being on this site, we're all in this together. And isn't it amazing how much we are all learning no matter what our backgrounds are!!! There are a lot of amazing people here who are most likely a lot more adept at finding out the facts than we are and we're in good hands ... getting info that would not otherwise be available!  -k
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Commonground Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 15 2006 at 6:26am
I am so proud of all of us!! I really am!!! We can all hold our heads up high!!!
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 15 2006 at 6:46am
xx    
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Commonground Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 15 2006 at 7:04am
So it sounds like it was a landslide. Wonder why it was under the category "Epidemic Hazard". I'll keep watch on the site for new developments. Thank You Survivor for taking the time.
Lutosh View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lutosh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 15 2006 at 9:06am

Romania to destroy 15 tons of chicken meat because of bird flu

05/15/2006 19:25

Authorities ordered vendors Monday to pull an estimated 15 tons of chicken meat from store shelves, after discovering it had come from several farms in a central Romanian town where the deadly H5N1 bird flu virus was found. Over the weekend, an outbreak of H5N1 was reported and confirmed in the town of Codlea , the National Animal Health Agency said.

Authorities will cull 1 million birds in Codlea, and poultry exports from Romania may be stopped, Chairman of the Poultry Breeders' Union Ilie Van told state news agency Rompres. One company in Codlea was found to have delivered hundreds of live chickens and tons of meat to counties across Romania without carrying out required health checks, Agriculture Minister Gheorghe Flutur said. The counties included Vrancea, Dolj, Hunedoara, Sibiu , Brasov , Mures, Prahova, Covasna, Valcea, Galati and Bucharest .

"We have introduced severe measures for the sale of live chicken, and if we find the law has been broken, we will be merciless," Flutur said Monday. Sixteen employees have been kept at a chicken farm in Codlea since Saturday, w hen the virus was discovered, local health official Mihai Dumitru said. Also in Codlea, hundreds of rotting birds were found in plastic sacks a few hundreds meters (yards) from one of the farms on Monday. Tests were being carried out on the birds.

Romania has had bird flu outbreaks in 53 communities since October, but the three new cases detected over the weekend in Codlea, Fagaras city and Hurezu village were the first in the northwest region of Transylvania . The case in Codlea was confirmed Sunday as H5N1. Further tests were being carried out on birds from Hurezu and Fagaras.

The National Animal Health Agency sent warnings Monday to poultry vendors not to sell products from Brasov county, where Codlea and Fagaras are located, agency head Gabriel Predoi said. In the central city of Targu Mures, authorities on Monday seized 17,000 eggs and 160 kilograms (352 pounds) of turkey meat that had come from Codlea. In Bucharest , about 2 tons of chicken meat was pulled from supermarket shelves, media reports said.

All birds in the central city of Fagaras were to be culled as a precaution, and the city was put under quarantine, authorities said. Residents were to be given the antiviral drug Tamiflu. Since October, Romania has culled more than 150,000 birds.

The H5N1 strain has spread with migratory birds from Asia to at least 10 countries in Europe and Africa , and scientists fear it could mutate into a form that is easily transmitted between humans, sparking a pandemic. Romania has recorded no human cases of bird flu, but at least 115 people have died from H5N1, most of them infected directly by sick birds, according to the World Health Organization, reports the AP.

N.U.

http://www.birdflubreakingnews.com/templates/birdflu/window.php?url=http%3A%2F%2Fenglish.pravda.ru%2Fnews%2Fworld%2F15-05-2006%2F80315-Romania-0

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 15 2006 at 9:12am
KevO  -  Am not sure about romanian however your post looks wrong!

The character set might need changing ( i get this alot with russian )

Try doing a right click on the page you are viewing and select encoding - choose cyrillic (windows )
Evergreen View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Evergreen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 15 2006 at 11:15am

This is the site I used: http://hisz.rsoe.hu/alertmap/woalert_read.php?id=6067&lang=eng
Click on the "Epidemic Hazard" Icon and it brings up the info. (in Romania).

This is the information. what caught my eye was "Event Type: Epidemic Hazard"; and "Number of Injured Persons: 60 persons". I sure would like to get that translated.......

I went to that site a while ago and also couldn't read it. That was when I noticed a box marked "english" in the upper right corner of the site. When I selected it, I got the map and data in english. Give it a try.   
235365 - Energy follows thought.   As you think, so you are.
Jhetta View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jhetta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 16 2006 at 1:18am
| SOUTHEAST EUROPE AND BALKANS | ROMANIA

Romania Hysterical Over Bird Flu
 16 May 2006 | 09:15 | FOCUS News Agency

Bucharest. A real hysterics wave took over Romania because of the bird flu, Bucharest newspaper Libertatea reads today.

In half of the Romanian districts vets, sanitary inspectors and Mayors are going around looking for the H5 virus that was “let out” from the farm in Codlea because no one knows where exactly the suspicious meat from the farm has ended, the newspaper reads.

Libertatea cited the Director of the National Sanitary Veterinary and Food Safety Authority Gabriel Predoi who said that according to the farm’s papers 15 tons of meat have been sold but it looks like the amount was much higher.
Jhetta View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jhetta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 16 2006 at 8:29am
(AFX UK Focus) 2006-05-16 12:12 GMT:
Possible human case of bird flu found in Romania
http://www.iii.co.uk/news/?type=afxnews&articleid=5644716&subject=general&action=article
Article layout: raw

BUCHAREST (AFX) - A young Romanian woman showing bird flu-like symptoms has been admitted to the contagious diseases hospital in Bucharest, the hospital's director Adrian Streinu-Cercel said.

The 25-year-old woman, who "has respiratory problems", comes from Sita Buzaului, a village in central Romania where bird flu is suspected, Streinu-Cercel said.

Romanian health authorities are on the hunt for several dozen tonnes of chicken products produced at a farm in Codlea, central Romania, where the deadly H5N1 strain of the flu was found last weekend.

They fear the virus may have contaminated chicken products shipped to supermarkets.

The scare comes as the eastern European country awaits a decision Tuesday from Brussels about joining the European Union, with EU officials already worried about food safety in Romania.

Bird flu has been confirmed at 56 sites in Romania since the disease first surfaced last October in the country's Danube delta.

There have so far been no confirmed cases of it spreading to humans. newsdesk@afxnews.com afp/har

COPYRIGHT

Copyright AFX News Limited 2005. All rights reserved. The copying, republication or redistribution of AFX News Content, including by framing or similar means, is expressly prohibited without the prior written consent of AFX News.

AFX News and AFX Financial News Logo

Jhetta View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jhetta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 16 2006 at 8:30am
| SOUTHEAST EUROPE AND BALKANS | ROMANIA
http://www.focus-fen.net/index.php?catid=126&newsid=88469&ch=0&datte=2006-05-16 

Bird Flu in Romania Spreading Fast

16 May 2006 | 11:23 | FOCUS News Agency

Bucharest. The bird flu in Romania is spreading extremely fast, Bucharest TV station Realitatea announced.
Five bird flu foci in regions of Brasov, Vrancea and Covasna have been registered in the last three days. Another three residential areas are expecting the results from the National laboratory in Bucharest after the quick tests showed the presence of the dangerous virus in samples taken from local farms, the TV station notes.

Jhetta View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jhetta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 16 2006 at 8:41am

BRUSSELS (Reuters) - The European Union has widened its import ban on live poultry and poultry meat products from Romania after recent new outbreaks of the lethal H5N1 strain of bird flu, the European Commission said on Tuesday.

Romania detected a new outbreak of H5N1 bird flu in poultry last weekend in the Transylvanian region of Brasov, just a month after the strain was said to have been eradicated there, causing authorities to slaughter hundreds of domestic fowl.

The EU's import ban will now apply to Brasov county and the four surrounding counties of Covasna, Harghita, Mures and Sibiu in central Romania, the Commission said in a statement following a regular meeting of EU national animal health experts.

Trade restrictions already apply to 26 Romanian counties and the EU ban will due to remain in place until the end of 2006.

"The proposed decision was drafted following several confirmed cases and further suspected cases of highly pathogenic avian influenza in poultry flocks in Brasov over the weekend," the statement said.

"The Romanian authorities have informed the Commission that disease eradication and control measures are now being applied in Brasov, while supplementary biosecurity measures against avian influenza are in place throughout the country."

Romania has slaughtered nearly half a million fowl and prevented some 60 bird flu outbreaks across its territory since the first case was detected in the Danube delta last October.

The virus has spread in birds at an alarming rate in recent months, sweeping through parts of Europe, down into Africa and flaring up again in Asia.

© Reuters 2006. All Rights Reserved.

Edited by Jhetta - May 16 2006 at 11:06am
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic