Click to Translate to English Click to Translate to French  Click to Translate to Spanish  Click to Translate to German  Click to Translate to Italian  Click to Translate to Japanese  Click to Translate to Chinese Simplified  Click to Translate to Korean  Click to Translate to Arabic  Click to Translate to Russian  Click to Translate to Portuguese  Click to Translate to Myanmar (Burmese)

PANDEMIC ALERT LEVEL
Forum Home Forum Home > Main Forums > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Tracking the next pandemic: Avian Flu Talk

How much supplies do you have?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Poll Question: How llong can you survive on your current inventory of food?
Vote Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
85 [23.29%]
59 [16.16%]
99 [27.12%]
60 [16.44%]
40 [10.96%]
12 [3.29%]
10 [2.74%]

Author
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: How much supplies do you have?
    Posted: January 24 2006 at 6:29pm

Feel free to comment after you post.  

CupcakeMom View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CupcakeMom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 24 2006 at 6:41pm
I, too, have a laid in a copious toilet paper supply.  I have nearly a year of the white stuff, but only about 4 months of food.  Probably my anal personality exerting itself...
Corn View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Corn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 24 2006 at 6:47pm
we have two years just about but not if we are inundated with family wo didn't prep. may not let them in till after 3 week qurenteen. So if over run maybe a year.

Edited by Corn
libbyalex View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote libbyalex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 24 2006 at 8:11pm

Hey Albert,

Please pass the toilet paper!

Libby (who's going out to buy more....)

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 24 2006 at 9:02pm
I have more than a years worth of food plus seeds for a garden but since I know I will be supporting some family  members that have done NOTHING & whoever on my son's squad that I need to keep going I only posted a year.  Although I might be calling Albert & Cupcake for some TP, that is one item I haven't really stocked.  It takes up so much space and I thought I would hold off on it for as long as I could.  My "over-the-top" items...soap & shampoo. I have enough for a small town. 
Left Field View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Left Field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 24 2006 at 9:31pm
lots of rice, beans, dried fruits, powdered eggs, canned foods, nuts, whey, enough for myself, about a year, but I know others will be here since they will have none.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 24 2006 at 9:39pm
LeftField, how are you storing your nuts (no snide comments, please).  You are aware that they will go bad fairly quickly if not properly stored don't you?  Mine are vacuum packed and stashed in the freezer.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 25 2006 at 5:13am

Libby LOL.  

What can I say, I love T.P.

SZ, no problem!

Edited by Albert
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 25 2006 at 7:42am

I guess I am the new guy here.  Hi to all. 

We probably have about 2-months supply of food but we are adding more to our food stocks.  I live in area that has plenty of game and fish and can hunt if need be.  We also grow a large garden every year.  I grew up poor on a farm so I know how to get by with what God has put in place at the start (hope that is not offensive not trying to be).  

My background is 4 years active duty 5th Special Force Group Airbone Operational Detachment A-581 HALO (High Altitude Low Opening)Parachute  Team.  After military went back to school and have degree in Civil Engineering specializing in structures.  I am married with two children.

My target area was North Africa and the Middle East during my term of service.  One thing I learned in area studies and language school is that in those countries the left hand is used for personal hygine.  I am sure there are many exceptions in modern areas, but in the boonies - that is a fact, I thought that would fit in with TP discussion.

Regards to all!

Left Field View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Left Field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 25 2006 at 8:10am
my nuts are canned
libbyalex View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote libbyalex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 25 2006 at 9:41am
Welcome to the board, BamaSteve! -- Libby
Marjo View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marjo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 25 2006 at 11:04am
Hi everybody,

I have about 9 months worth, but had to choose between 6 and 12 for the poll...
I entered 6 mo.

Marjo
Boozy View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boozy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 25 2006 at 11:43am
i have alot of things 4 at least 1 year...........
i'm soory 4 what i've did and 2 say i love everybody n the world............

make your peace now with people u love or know
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 25 2006 at 12:14pm

I,m not sure I just boxed all my can goods..and it looks pretty lean in that department..but I do know I have enough flour,rice,barley,corn meal and corn flour..to last one heck of a long time..and have half a freezer filled with shortening...lots of sugar and tea bags(cheaper then coffee) and easier to store...coffee creamer...candy(yummy)....

Now wiht all the boxs under mt bed and cupboard are empty and these are heavy duty boxes...they will stack up nicely against the wall..and out of site is outta mind..means I have to fill the cupboard again...

drizztcat View Drop Down
advanced Member
advanced Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote drizztcat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 25 2006 at 12:50pm
I am not so prepared were pretty poor.I just started getting some stuff latley if need be i suppose i could hunt,we live in a pretty small town with lots of forest,but i am pretty worried we dont have enough money to get by my three year old is the only one were worried about.not much you can do when when your broke.but fear not where theres a will theres a way.
drizzt
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 25 2006 at 12:55pm

drizz

What state do you live in?  Maybe somebody that lives nearby from this forum can buy a  few extra supplies for you.  Perhaps we can all chip in?   Do you have a Costco card?   We will ALL help you! 

Edited by Albert
keegs2 View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote keegs2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 25 2006 at 1:19pm

I have about a month of food and probably 2 weeks of bottled water. I lack in the tp department.(guess leaves will have to do when we run out) Iwish we could get a hold of tamifu. Or the government would pick up the pace on getting a shot for this! 

Kristine Cover
Deej View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Deej Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 25 2006 at 1:35pm
drizz,  start by going to your local food pantry.  they have them in even the smallest towns. don't feel bad about going, your kid is worth it, and maybe someday, you'll be able to help someone else. also check with the local supermarkets, dented cans, labels torn- they can give you a good deal. 
dee
drizztcat View Drop Down
advanced Member
advanced Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote drizztcat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 25 2006 at 2:00pm
guys i did not say those things to milk anyone just a place to vent i guess you are all very kind.its good to know that there are people out there like all of you.i dont even know you guys and i alredy love ya all.
drizzt
drizztcat View Drop Down
advanced Member
advanced Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote drizztcat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 25 2006 at 2:09pm
by the way for anyone interested i live in Canada.northern new brunswick to be exact.After this is all over if anyone wants to visit Canada this would be the place to visit i can take you guys too some of the best salmon fishing in the world not to mention the fantastic scenery,also people from around here are very kind and laid back.the only thing is there is alot of french speaking people.but most everyone also speaks english.
drizzt
bruss01 View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bruss01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 25 2006 at 2:17pm
We have about 150 pounds of dry pinto beans and rice, plus canned and boxed variety food.  I was thinking 3 months, but now that I've inventoried and seen it all together, I'm thinking closer to 6 months.  We have at least that much in Fem hygeine and TP.  Plenty of bar and liquid soap.  2 20 lb propane canisters for cooking, hoping to make that 4 next month.  2 55 gallon drums for water storage, again, hoping to make it 4 next month.  Enough ammo to get thru the apocalypse, lol!

Edited by bruss01
libbyalex View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote libbyalex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 25 2006 at 3:34pm
Well, inspired by Albert's 1,000 rolls of TP, I counted. We have four months worth of TP.... -- Libby
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 26 2006 at 9:44pm

I have 25 large cans of coffee.

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 26 2006 at 10:00pm
Drizz, if things get bad, you will be better off than most of us because of your current enviroment, and your ability to live off the land.  Fresh salmon everyday? LOL
koolsteve View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koolsteve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 26 2006 at 10:13pm
we have enought to live for about  2 months. the problem is that its a family of 4, so it would be hard to have enoyugh food for us all to last very long. In regards to the freshs almon, you probobly wouldnt want to go outside with the germs roaming aorund, esically if there was the off chance off infecting fish. But i mean, thats just stupid. that probobly wont happen. but still.
ninjas rule
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 26 2006 at 10:18pm

aihave about six months worth of supplies and cash is now low.  Im planning on buying  my dry goods at the end I figure while eveyone is running to food stores i just get  my paper plates toilet paper pens books toothpaste soap shampoes  .  

trisharp View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trisharp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 27 2006 at 5:32am
I found 25# bags of rice at Sam's Club for $6.00 per bag.  You can also buy 50 # bags for $10.00.  I now have approximately 100 # stocked up.
Also dried pinto beans for $3.00 for a 10 # bag at SC.
trisharp
blackmagicwoman View Drop Down
advanced Member
advanced Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blackmagicwoman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 27 2006 at 7:47pm
  Hi guys, we are all doing our best to prepare for the BF.  Lets not for get to make sure with the storage of all our beans ,rice, oatmeal flour cornmeal and ect   that it is protected from bugs.  They will start to set in very quickly if the items are not treated.  I prepared heavily for Y2k.  I treated all my items except sugar with  food grade diatomaceous earth.  This protects against all types of bugs that might get a greedy eye for your food.  Use one cup of diatomaceous earth per 50 pounds of grains or rice and ect.  I place a little at the bottom of each container then mix it thur out the grains. They say it wont hurt to breathe the dust, and you don't have to wash the grains before cooking.  It' suppose to be very good for you.  Look it up on the internet by it name.  Remember to get food grade.  My Y2K supply is still bug free.  My husband stored his mung beans for Y2K without this within about 3-4 months he had bugs crawling from the tight lids.  I hope you guys look into this, I'd hate to see your food go to waste.   Black Magic Woman 
Mississippi Mama
bruss01 View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bruss01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 28 2006 at 10:44am

BlackMagicWoman,

I've heard that a good way of bug-proofing and rodent proofing food is to put it in a food-grade plastic bag (xlarge ziplock maybe?) with a pellet or chip of dry ice in the bottom.  As it sublimates, the CO2 forces all the oxygen out of the bag. Once sealed, there is no oxygen for bugs, hence no bugs, and it doesn't affect the food.  Of course be sure to let it breathe until the C02 is finished outgassing or it will pop. For rodent-proofing metal cans are good.  I saw "virgin" paint cans at the hardware store for about $2.50 each, that's a possiblility.

jackson View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jackson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 28 2006 at 11:32am
Drizztcat,
I understand how you're feeling. I have a similar situation where I can't buy a lot of food at a time. But each trip to the grocery store, I buy a few extra cans of food, rice, beans, and water. Before long,  it really started to add up. I'm planning to continue doing that each time I take a trip to the grocery store.
Also, if there are any Dollar Stores in your area, those are great places to go to get extra things. They have food and other supplies available.

I know it is difficult not to worry when you have a small child in the house. But you'll be surprised how much you can stock up on in a short amt of time once you start
Mississipp Mama View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mississipp Mama Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 28 2006 at 4:52pm
Hi Brusso1, thanks for the information on storage.  I will use this as one of my storing methods.  Thanks for the tip on the virgin paint cans.  Do they come with lids/
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mississipp Mama Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 28 2006 at 5:01pm
  Drizztcat keep up the good work on stocking up litltle my little.  You are going to be surprised at how fast your supply is going to multiply.  Don't be surprised if you don't get some unexpected funds that will help you with your prep.  When you make the 1st step the universe has a way of stepping in and lending you a helping had.  You are going to be way ahead of most people by just doing what you can.  Don't forget to give thanks for what you have been able to buy regardless of how small it is.
blackmagicwoman View Drop Down
advanced Member
advanced Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blackmagicwoman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 28 2006 at 5:40pm
  Hi Albert where do you store 1,000 rolls of toleit paper?  Does anyone  know the best way to store dry dog food.  Would it be safe  in a metal can in the out door shed?  What's the best way to keep out rodents.
Mississippi Mama
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 28 2006 at 6:13pm

I was thinking about bartering with T.P, but I'm affraid that I would start laughing too hard so I would probably just end up giving it to them for free.  

I have it stacked up in my garage.  

koolsteve View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koolsteve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 29 2006 at 3:23pm
i think im going to have my owns secret stash  so when this thing rolls around  i can suprise them with it. You know, everytime we get stuff from sadfewway, ill take some of it, just like 5 things. and in about a month ill have an entire  drawer of supplies.
ninjas rule
Spoon View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Spoon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 29 2006 at 3:50pm

Hello All,

I'm brand new to this board.  What a great group of caring, sharing people.  It's nice to know I'm not alone.

I've been able to keep rodents out of my shed by hanging a lingerie net bag filled with moth balls.  One box lasts about a season.

The only weird thing is everytime I walk into the shed, I flash back to a childhood friend's attic.

Spoon

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 29 2006 at 4:25pm

Welcome aboard Spoon!

I wonder if I can utilize your moth ball tip for my ton of dog food that I am going to have to bring in?  Worth a shot.

BTW: You aren't alone!  We have a wonderful group of people here.  Some really great information exchange and some good old fashioned jaw waggin'.

swankyc View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote swankyc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 29 2006 at 6:55pm
Do the moth balls keep pests like spiders, other insects, spiders, snakes, spiders, bees and spiders away?
I'm not afraid, I'm paranoid. Dont talk too loud, they are listening.
Spoon View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Spoon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 29 2006 at 7:34pm

Thanks SophiaZoe,

The dog food should work.  How much do you plan on storing?

Spoon View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Spoon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 29 2006 at 7:45pm

Hi swankyc,

I'm not sure about the spiders.

I cleaned out my shed last year... evicting a couple of mice condos, beehives, various other insects, and even a squirrel.

Ever since I added the moth balls, the shed looks, sounds, and feels pretty lifeless.

Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mississipp Mama Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 29 2006 at 8:07pm
Hi Swanky, I live in Ms. and near a Lake.  I  use moth balls to keep the snakes away.  I just throw a coupe of hand fulls in my shed ,around the shed and under the shed if it's off the ground.  During the Spring Just before the snakes are due to come out, I throw some around the house and thur out the yard.  Some time I use snake lime and sulfur mixed together to keep the snakes away.  As for lizards they seem to walk right over the snake lime and sulfur.  I'm not sure wether it works for the others critters because I spray once a month for bugs spiders and so on.
trisharp View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trisharp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 30 2006 at 9:48am
When I started my "prep" efforts I concentrated on the basic food items such as rice and beans.  After getting a solid base I started to accumulate things like soaps, medical supplies etc.  I am now at a point where I am going after "nice to have items"  I am having difficulty trying to calculate my "preps" in terms of months on hand.  My immediate family has three members with an extended family of 10-12 depending on who shows up at the time it hits.  Just to give others an idea of the direction I have taken I submit the partial list below.....this is where I am as of today.

100 #s rice
  46 #s dry beans
144 packs Ramen noodles
  60 cans various veg.
  60 cans meats
  36 gal. of water
  26 #'s of sugar
    8 #'s of flower

I also have various other essentials but consider the above my basic food stocks.  Hope this helps give someone else some ideas. 
trisharp
KOMET163 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KOMET163 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 30 2006 at 7:40pm

I have updated the food that we have :

100 cans of veggies

100 cans of fruit and fruit juice

50 cans of meat

50 gallons of water

25 cans of soup of various kinds

100 rolls of toilet paper

35 cans of  fuel

3 solar battery chargers

4 guns

32 pounds of sugar and flour

5 pounds of salt and other spices

50 pounds of rice

40 pounds of beans

two coleman stoves

2 shortwave radios with cranks

dried eggs and dried meat

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 30 2006 at 7:55pm

Spoon, sorry for the delay...just saw your question!

When I said ton I meant TON.  55 bags at 40lbs each.  And that's on minimum rations.

trisharp View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trisharp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 31 2006 at 3:53am
Komet163,
Can you please help me with dried eggs.  Where can I find them??
Are they in the grocery store and what section.
Thanks.
trisharp
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
  Share Topic