Click to Translate to English Click to Translate to French  Click to Translate to Spanish  Click to Translate to German  Click to Translate to Italian  Click to Translate to Japanese  Click to Translate to Chinese Simplified  Click to Translate to Korean  Click to Translate to Arabic  Click to Translate to Russian  Click to Translate to Portuguese  Click to Translate to Myanmar (Burmese)

PANDEMIC ALERT LEVEL
Forum Home Forum Home > Main Forums > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Tracking the next pandemic: Avian Flu Talk

need more input!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 2ciewan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: need more input!
    Posted: May 23 2006 at 10:31am
Personally i dont like the idea of waiting for WHO to announce the next level of alert, as i think by that time it will have already happened.

Anyone have any ideas of good sources of tell-tale signs?

1. Aircraft movments, cancelled flights to certain regions of the world

2. you lucky people in the US can even monitor ambulance traffic on the radio (i belive its legal over there)

just some thoughts
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 23 2006 at 10:33am
I think we should ask David Letterman.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 23 2006 at 10:37am
CNN, BBC etc. will be covering it 24/7
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 23 2006 at 10:56am
Dan, you are too funny!!!! On that note, Saturday night Live will be doing airline skits, etc.

Just use universal precautions until Anderson Cooper or Oprah say otherwise.

oknut View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oknut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 23 2006 at 11:16am
We caught something hilarious the other night on Jon Stewart show.

Only saw a bit of it but there was some sort of preparedness inspector going into homes and guestioning them on their preparedness.

The little bit we saw was very funny - ridiculous, but very funny. Wish we'd seen the whole thing.
Never2late View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Never2late Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 23 2006 at 2:45pm
Jon Stewart is the best, most accurate, most revealing news show on TV. Loved the prepardness bit.

Unfortunately, the recent Indonesia cluster scare demonstrates why it is going to be so hard for any of us much of a jump on the "real thing." That cluster was "probably" H2H transmission but "may" have already petered out, or so it appears. Or it could be spreading like wildfire unreported and unrecognized by locals. We are at the mercy of local sources for information, and misinformation, and in the early stages of any reported outbreak the speculation runs rampant because we all believe that a pandemic is at our door steps. So we can see every outbreak as becoming "the" event..which is true. But it is also true that this precious little bug will mutate itself into nothing more than a nasty cough. So all we can do is what we are doing, pull information from various sources, analyze it, compare notes, and make an educated guess. However, assuming that we all believe it is coming, and sooner than later, the real task is focus our energies on preparing and thinking about alternatives to our current daily lifestyles. If we are "ready" it doesn't really matter when it comes and, like others point out, the cable folks will be reporting live from ground zero, wearing masks for effect. If you're keeping us on this site, whatever the TV is showing is going to be "old news" to you as you fill up your storage barrels with good water before the plant shuts down.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic