Click to Translate to English Click to Translate to French  Click to Translate to Spanish  Click to Translate to German  Click to Translate to Italian  Click to Translate to Japanese  Click to Translate to Chinese Simplified  Click to Translate to Korean  Click to Translate to Arabic  Click to Translate to Russian  Click to Translate to Portuguese  Click to Translate to Myanmar (Burmese)

PANDEMIC ALERT LEVEL
Forum Home Forum Home > Pandemic Prepping Forums > General Prepping Tips
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Tracking the next pandemic: Avian Flu Talk

How much $ have you spent?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 16 2006 at 4:19am
K,
you too! Jo
Mississipp Mama View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mississipp Mama Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 16 2006 at 8:44pm
 Hi Jo007athome, I would like to buy a couple of the hams you  bought.  Where didi you get them from?  Is there a website or phone number?  Where are you going to store your hams to keep the mice, rats, bugs and rocahes from getting them.  Thanks a lot.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 17 2006 at 1:16am
Hi Mississip Mama,
I got them at WWW.scotthams.com , I got the 13-15 lb for 41.50 and 12.00 shipping. I put it in a pillow case andI hung it from one of my shelving units. I doubt that pedts will bother it because of the salt content. Bugs and animals have the common sense that humans lack, most wont eat things that will kill them. The lady at scott hams was really helpful about giving me information. I asked about long terrm storage and refrigeration, a real country ham is cured with salt for several months and are pretty much non perishable. They may developr mold, this is natural and you would jist take a stiff brush and scrub it off, Jo 
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 17 2006 at 6:32am
Over the last year we have dropped over $22.000. This includes food, generators, well, weapons, other security devices, backup to the backups, Final shopping will include about 10K more we figure.

I'm just $250,000 short for what I want to do though.
Legacy View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Legacy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 24 2006 at 3:34pm
About $1300, including generator, PPE, meds, batteries, water purifiers, food, fuel and dry goods. This is for two of us for 90 days. My husband is a proffessional chef, so it's not likely that I'd eat spam with any regularityThumbs Down, so it'll all go to the food bank if we end up safe and that's fine with me! I am happy with the amount that we have prepped and with our plans.
I do everything my Rice Crispies tell me to....
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mississipp Mama Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 24 2006 at 8:57pm
  Hi sorry for taking so long to relpy.  Thanks for the information on the ham.  I think I will buy one.  Have you tried it yet?
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 25 2006 at 3:53am
Mississip Mama,
I haven't cut these yet, but ate some thin sliced and fried at my sister's house around New year, she serves with red eye gravy (very salty, but oh so good) and mashed potatoes. Since they store practically indefinately, I probably won't use until I have real need. I pray that's not soon. Jo
72 ft jesus View Drop Down
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72 ft jesus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 05 2006 at 10:16am
I have spent $16526 and have a pretty good set up for one year. How much value do you put on your life? 

Wyane

p.s. 6 more days to go......
Deja vu again....
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 05 2006 at 10:28am
Our Wally World has Salt cured hams in the grocery.  They only had six of them and I saw someone packing every last one out about a week ago.  Price seemed pretty good.
mayday View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mayday Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 05 2006 at 7:46pm
1000.00 on solar generator and panels ,  500.00 on food ,  100.00 on water in water bottles,. 100.00 on meds.  My food is basic  rice , can beans several types , can vegetables,   dry pasta,  pasta sause, can tuna , can ham ,  cooking oil,,  chezwiz ,  instant potatoes,  protein powder shakes ,  kraft dinner for my son ,  sugar, flour coffee,  pancake mix surup , yeast, can fruit.  jams  all types peanutbutter ,  powdered gateraid and koolaide and granola bars. 

My budget is to add 800.00 to food, on fruit and canned vegetables and cheese and meat.  200.00 on radios and 200.00 to paper products.  qnd 500.00 to water. and another on 500.00 on solar panels and 200.00 on seeds and small greenhouse for starting plants in . 

ozgirl View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ozgirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 05 2006 at 8:07pm
Welcome Mayday, sounds like a fantastic start, I have started a great garden even though never previously having grown fruit or vegetables and I am suprising how liberating it feels to be able to be even slightly selfsufficient, we have spent around 500.00 so far on food and paper products and seeds, we intend to get a rain water tank and runoff tank and propane stove and extra gas bottles and way more food cheers
loving life in Oz
montanamoose View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote montanamoose Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 07 2006 at 11:52pm
we've spent around $3,000 prepping for about 4-6 months of isolation.  we've also been away from computers for several weeks and have to rely on CNN and the like for knowledge of outside world.  It's so easy to forget the urgency as BF is rarely mentioned but we are ready for any emergency including our BOB kits in each car and complete lists by the backdoor.
newprepper View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote newprepper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 24 2006 at 5:05pm
Hi Jo, the talk of those hams really made my mouth water. So,I checked out Scottsham web site. They really sound delicious but then I read their History page and there they say that once you cut into them, then they need to be refrigerated. If this is right, then I suppose you could always use the double pot sand method to keep them cool.
Just thought you might like to know what I found.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 24 2006 at 6:01pm
Originally posted by newprepper newprepper wrote:

Hi Jo, the talk of those hams really made my mouth water. So,I checked out Scottsham web site. They really sound delicious but then I read their History page and there they say that once you cut into them, then they need to be refrigerated. If this is right, then I suppose you could always use the double pot sand method to keep them cool.
Just thought you might like to know what I found.

Hi newprepper,
I also read that and emailed the company to ask, because I needed to know if refridgeration is necessary. It is not as long as it is a salt cured ham, Having said this, it will mold, which is not harmful, you just take a stiff bristle brush and scrub it off then rinse. I didn't save the email, but I did print it on another thread. Salt cured hams need to be soaked (changing the water at least twice) for 24 to 48 hours, which removes a good portion of the salt and then just don't salt whatever you add it to, in my case beans. I hope this helps, but you can always email them like I did and they are quick to answer your questions. Jo

Here is a link to another company I have used which states no refigeration needed. Jo

newprepper View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote newprepper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 28 2006 at 4:49pm
Hi Jo,
I did as you suggested and emailed them about the ham. Below is what they answered in an email I got this morning. Thought you would want to know.
Hi Chris,

Once the ham is sliced, it must be refrigerated.  Prior to slicing, it
can be stored in a cool dry space as long as it is hung.  Please let
me know if you have additional questions and thank you for your
interest in our products!

Becca
Did you order one yet?
Newprepper
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 29 2006 at 3:49am
Hi Newprepper,
Make sure you are getting the uncooked salt cured ham. The cooked ham does have to be refrigerated.
Yes, I ordered two and got two slabs of salt cured bacon as well. I knew about salt cured hams from my mother, they used to get them when she was young (she is 82) and is it is a true salt cured ham (processed 6-9 months) they do not need refrigeration.
 Just hang in a cool, dry place in a pillow case or breathable fabric, It may grow a coating of mold, this is natural and it should be scrubbed of with a stiff brush before the next cutting. It is basically shelf stable indefinately, but the recommend use within a year.
 The pioneers did not have refrigeration, their biggest job was to keep insects off the meat.(hence the pillow case) The salt is what preserves it, it is rubbed with salt and hung to dry in a curing house. This process takes a long time.(up to a year, depending on the brand)
 The genuine Smithfield hams are only processed in smithfield county from the long shank ham.The reason I emailed them for clarification was because it stated to refrigerate after cutting on some sites.  Jo
This is off of the web site below:
Cooking your country ham: Our Virginia hams are salt-cured, thus requiring no refrigeration. It is the nature of the Virginia cured hams to be salty even after soaking. In order to enjoy your Virginia country ham to the fullest, you will need to soak the ham in water for 24 to 48 hours, changing the water every 4-6 hours.
This will remove a lot of the salt, but the hams will still maintain a salty taste. And if you've never cooked a Virginia country ham before, there are instructions on the back of the cloth package.

This is also a great place to look, I actually got my hams here:

Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mississipp Mama Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 29 2006 at 8:47pm
Hi jo007athome, I still haven't ordered my hams yet,I have been watching the info you have posted to newprepper.  I will order mine this week.  How many people are you prepping for?  I think you said you ordered two. I'm not sure wether to order one or two.  I know they come in 2 sizes.  I am prepping for 2 people.  Any suggestions will be helpful.  Thanks
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 30 2006 at 7:09am
Hi MM,
Glad you're back. I am prepping for my husband, self and 2 grown kids, 4 grandkids (theroretically, but we may have up to 6 more mouths to feed) to last a year. I am not sure as others are, that after the first wave, or even the second that the distribution system will be up and running to be able to re-supply and /or if it will be within our reach (may be very expensive for the smallest things) to obtain. In addition to the two salt cured hams, every time I am at the dollar store, I pick up a couple of cans of (small round) ham (6 oz) as well as a couple of the beef (12 oz) and chicken (10 oz) too.The ham is 1.00, beef is 1.50 and chicken is 2.00.

The salt cured hams should make about 40 4oz servings (taking into account for the weight of the bone) but you could use less if you were not counting on the protein, just the flavoring.
I ordered the 12 to 15 ln size on both of mine, just figure 2 lbs will be bone (which will make flavorful soup, but without the meat) and then you can divivde the poundage by the ounces you want per person to get your serving amounts. The hams will come in a mesh "sock", but you can put them in a pillowcase
to keep buggies off) and hang. Hope this helps, Jo

Here is the email I sent and the reply I recieved back:
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mississipp Mama Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 31 2006 at 9:20pm
  jo007athome thanks for the welcome back home.  It's really good to be back.  I came back thur New Orleans and was on pins and needles that the hurricane would enter the gulf before I made it home Monday night.  I just ordered 1 ham tonight.  It is 16 to 18 pounds.  So far I plan to use it for flavoring food.  Should I keep the ham in the mesh and then put it in the pillow case?  If I put it in a closet in the house, will the house smell like ham?   Thanks for all of your information. 
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 01 2006 at 7:37am
The ham will perfume any area you hang it in, my storeroom smells wonderful! I don't have mine in a pillowcase, do to where II'm storing it now. When I move I will put them in a pillowcase until I find out the varment population. It's to keep bugs off. Jo
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic