Click to Translate to English Click to Translate to French  Click to Translate to Spanish  Click to Translate to German  Click to Translate to Italian  Click to Translate to Japanese  Click to Translate to Chinese Simplified  Click to Translate to Korean  Click to Translate to Arabic  Click to Translate to Russian  Click to Translate to Portuguese  Click to Translate to Myanmar (Burmese)

PANDEMIC ALERT LEVEL
Forum Home Forum Home > Main Forums > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Tracking the next pandemic: Avian Flu Talk

Last minute list

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Last minute list
    Posted: May 24 2006 at 5:22am
   As things seem to heat up, I am working on a last minute list, if and when things get bad. I have already stocked up on canned goods, TP, soap rice, mac and cheese, etc. etc. If we only have 24 hours I'll be working off that list.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 24 2006 at 6:59am
I have a lot of fresh fruits and veggies on my list. Also things like fresh nuts that I'm trying to buy as late as I can. But now I find myself thinking "more of everything".

Mrs. T View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mrs. T Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 24 2006 at 7:07am
I have a huge last minute list and it keeps growing.

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 24 2006 at 7:41am
Originally posted by Ruth Ruth wrote:

As things seem to heat up, I am working on a last minute list, if and when things get bad. I have already stocked up on canned goods, TP, soap rice, mac and cheese, etc. etc. If we only have 24 hours I'll be working off that list.

WHAT DO YOU MEAN ONLY 24 HOURS????? WHAT IS GOING ON??????
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 24 2006 at 8:20am
She meant a hypothetical '24 hours' not the real thing yet! (breath in, breath out!)
TheFluMaster View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheFluMaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 24 2006 at 11:59am
Greetings,

considering the situation in Indonesia with probable Human to Human transmission, I am starting my last minute preparations today.

On top of my list:

Additional gasoline (in spite of the prices), more water, toilette paper, fozen food and restocking of any used up provisions.

Blessings,

Mister E.
Arizona Pandemic Flu Help And Support Group

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/PandemicFlu

"Chance Favors The Prepared Mind"
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 24 2006 at 9:11pm
I have a separate last minuete list as I dont plan to fight for food.

paper products
paper plates
extra batteries
crank radio
solar lights to use indoors

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 25 2006 at 8:01pm
I am a bit troubled by this "Last minute" list...why wait?  Wouldn't you be putting yourself at risk?  People would be absolutly nuts and if you go shopping thieves will know you have MONEY which would make you a target, and know you have supplies and may follow you home. What if what you have on your list is already gone?  What if martial law is decleared and you can't drive to the store?  I also don't want to take a chance getting any germs!

I think our "Last minute lists" should be our right now list!
Penham View Drop Down
Chief Moderator
Chief Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Penham Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 25 2006 at 8:16pm
The only things on my last minute list is fresh fruit and veggies, bread and fresh milk. None of which is a necessity, I can get by without it, but would be nice to have, just depends on the situation whether I would go out and get it. I have been trying to keep more fresh stuff in the house anyway. The only other thing would be to top off the gas tanks in the cars, which also would not be a necessity, but nice to be able to do. Not taking any risks though.
honeybee View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote honeybee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 25 2006 at 8:32pm
I want to mention a last minute item someone has wisely stocked up on.  It might be a touchy subject and have not seen it on preperation forums.

Have any of you who has an addictive person in the family considered the consequences of such a disease as alcoholism?  Many of us will learn to do without our luxeries; however, an alcoholic cannot be put into instant detox at home with no support.  They can easily be driven to leave the house in search.  Then you are faced with the issue of them returning. It sounds wasteful at first; but you might consider the peace of mind of having some stored away.

Honeybee
bigdaddy View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bigdaddy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 25 2006 at 9:32pm
Solar lights to use indoors is a great idea.  Im putting that one at the top of my list to get next time I go to town.  Kudos
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 26 2006 at 7:55am
I've added getting a perm to my last minute list, after taking care of all the other "must get" items on the list.
Bill 100 View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill 100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 26 2006 at 8:14am
Guns, Big Guns (just joking) I was on the guns page and they got me all pumped up. But a good pistol is the next thing on my list.

I don't know about a last minute list, I might have a shuda got list, I hope it is not a big list.
Bill 100 View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill 100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 26 2006 at 8:43am
Something just came to mind that could be easy over looked. Dose everybody have a windup clock for power outs.
honeybee View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote honeybee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 26 2006 at 8:54am
Great thought Bill!   Add to that a backup battery for your watch.
Honeybee
July View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote July Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 27 2006 at 7:17am
Something just came to mind that could be easy over looked. Dose everybody have a windup clock for power outs.

YOu can also purchase a solar clock. You would of course need bakup batteries for it.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 27 2006 at 7:50am
Honeybee, I appreciate you bring up the issue of addicts. Many people have one or more in the family and it would be wise to seriously think about what to do with them. I have some experience in that area, so let me run some idea's by you:
First a disclaimer, I am not a doctor, but I have dealt with this issue for over 20 years and in fact have helped educate some doc's on addiction. Also, not every addict needs to to into treatment!! In fact treatment is a very expensive luxury. The old-timers in AA used to lock up a person for a few days or more and then bring them to meetings.
Now, it is very different for somebody who might require hospitalization!! Anybody who is on the needle, especially meth.
Alcoholics by and large do not need to be in a hospital, however, they may need a little watered down booze in gradually diminishing doses over 72 hours to get the level of alcohol in the blood safely down.
So, if you have an alcoholic or addict in the family, I would strongly encourage you to start going to Al-Anon meetings and learn how to deal with the addict EFFECTIVELY!
Next choice, throw them out and DO NOT let them back in!! No matter the promises!
Both of these options will save your life.
honeybee View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote honeybee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 27 2006 at 8:08am
Thanks for the input femvet!  I was only speaking off the top of my head.

I am going to repeat your suggestion of Al-Anon - what a great resource for those who may not have considered them before, but are especially concerned now.
Honeybee
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 27 2006 at 8:23am
Shoe laces
Valgard View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Valgard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 27 2006 at 4:43pm
I see a "Last minute List", as mostly fresh fruits and veggies, apples, oranges, potatos, and dairy products like milk and margerine/butter.

And yeah, knowing that it will be my last trip to the market for a very long time, perhaps some beer and whiskey...

What I do expect, is no real warning from any credible sources, you'll just wake up some morning and BF news will be on every channel, kind of like the 9/11 morning.

If you're lucky and you act quickly, you may just find some of the fresh items still in the store, because everyone will be grabbing the strorage items which you should already have.

You may want to try and top off your gas tanks and pick up a few batteries as well.  By and large, I see your "window of opportunity" to be just hours once this event breaks loose.
Do Right and Fear Not
kathw326 View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kathw326 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 27 2006 at 4:57pm
We went today and bought a bunch of bedding plants (all vegetables and spices).  Plus we have enough seed packets for a couple of years.

I'm an amatuer gardner so I don't know how I'll do with the garden but I sure am going to try.  If we go into quarantine, we'll have enough fresh  veggies and spices for a long time.

Kathy
Bill 100 View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill 100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 27 2006 at 5:09pm
I have 3- 5 gallon cans so I have 15 gallons of gas put by for my generator. I might squeeze 2 week out of it, running it about 6 hours a day. I have 4-55 gallon steel drums I was going to put gas in but so far I have chickened out. Worried it might blow up.
honeybee View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote honeybee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 27 2006 at 5:25pm

Last Minute Items - If people are panicing, it might be a good idea to use the buddy system for that last trip.  Someone to make sure what goes in your basket stays in your basket...lol

Honeybee
oknut View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oknut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 27 2006 at 5:34pm
I ordered empty, refillable inhaler tubes to be used with essential oils, which I have plenty of.

Also ordered refillable nasal spray bottles that come with a mix for nasal spray solution.

Yesterday I ordered a portable, rechargeable nebulizer that comes with both AC and DC adaptors.

Some of these things may never been essential - hopefully, but could be priceless if someone in our home becomes ill.

Finally feel we're ok on foods and still need gun, ammunition and a 5 gallon water bottle.

Almost there.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 27 2006 at 5:35pm
I see a "Last minute List", as mostly fresh fruits and veggies, apples, oranges, potatos, and dairy products like milk and margerine/butter.

And yeah, knowing that it will be my last trip to the market for a very long time, perhaps some beer and whiskey...

What I do expect, is no real warning from any credible sources, you'll just wake up some morning and BF news will be on every channel, kind of like the 9/11 morning.

If you're lucky and you act quickly, you may just find some of the fresh items still in the store, because everyone will be grabbing the strorage items which you should already have.

You may want to try and top off your gas tanks and pick up a few batteries as well.  By and large, I see your "window of opportunity" to be just hours once this event breaks loose.

You can do some of this now. 

You can freeze butter,I do it all the time when its on sale.  I never had any problem,taste and texture is the same.  Maybe getting several gas cans(I have five,always full)and keeping them full will prevent you from having to wait in long lines....everyone else will be doing the same as you! 

Batteries will last a long time...check in back of rack for longest date. 

Potatoes can be keep for long periods if keep in a cool,dry dark place.

As far as the alchohol goes....I haven't touched it in years.

Just a few sugggestions to keep you and yours safeWink
Oisanatta View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oisanatta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 27 2006 at 5:40pm
Originally posted by kathw326 kathw326 wrote:

We went today and bought a bunch of bedding plants (all vegetables and spices).  Plus we have enough seed packets for a couple of years.

I'm an amatuer gardner so I don't know how I'll do with the garden but I sure am going to try.  If we go into quarantine, we'll have enough fresh  veggies and spices for a long time.

Kathy

Don't forget to wash off the bird poop with your fresh veggies from the garden.  Birds love to land and sit and do their thing on veggie plants....or the accidental dive-bomb!
The only thing worse than a brutal lie is the brutal truth. (M Twain) I waited patiently for the LORD; He turned to me and heard my cry. He lifted me out of the pit; He set my feet on a rock. Psalm40
Valgard View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Valgard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 27 2006 at 5:45pm
Thanks R & R, I'll load up on butter and margerine next time I go to the store, I've got plenty of room in the freezer, that'll leave more room in the cart for the good stuff...
Do Right and Fear Not
Glenn 50 View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Glenn 50 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 27 2006 at 6:10pm
Potatoes. Over here the best keeper is Rua in the states I think it's Burbank. When TSHTF I'm of to the vege place down the road to buy 30 x 20kg bags. Then if it goes longer than 3 months I can spend the evenings deshooting them.
I don't think I can last on rice....I need my spuds.

Now if we could only find packets of powdered coke..(The soft drink type not the other).
sms194647 View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sms194647 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 27 2006 at 6:53pm
Winkcall all the kids and let them know whats going on
good luck
Mississipp Mama View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mississipp Mama Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 27 2006 at 7:03pm
  Hi oknut, I have also purchased essential oils, I'm not sure about inhaler tubes.  What are they and how are they uses with the oils?  Where did you find your refillable nasal spray bottles.  I would like to order some.  Once I know what the inhaler tubes are I will want to order them as well.  If you still have the info on these items will you please send  it to me.  thanks.
KOMET163 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KOMET163 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 27 2006 at 7:42pm
First, I think that people wouldl be in a panic mood so we need  first to do some advanced planning. WE have our security and our lives to protect. First we would try to get some fuel.  we have about  25 gallons of gas and fuel oil.  WE would visit wine and spirits stores and buy as many cases of pop as possible.  We would try to buy as much fresh fruit and veggies as possible.  I think we would try to get some more nuts and some chocolate items.  We do have about 400 rounds of ammo and I am going to buy a few more csaes of ammo.  I want to buy another rifle and anohter shotgun just in case. 
 tHE MAIN PROBLEM THAT WE ARE GOING TO FACE IS THE LACK OF SUPPORTS FOR MY GIRLFRIEND WHO IS PARALYISED FROM THE WAIST DOWN.   I will do everything possible to protect her.  We have done whatever we can do for our own survival.  The only thing left to do is to prep, prep and prep.   We have 3 shortwave radios and we are  learning how to do Ham radio. 
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 27 2006 at 8:38pm
I am curious about what type of nebulizer uses an ac adaptor. Do you know of a brand that is battery powered?

Thanks,

anna
Penham View Drop Down
Chief Moderator
Chief Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Penham Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 27 2006 at 8:55pm
argyll, we plan on using our nebulizer (if it is needed) with an inverter and car battery, works great I have already tested it out. Also the inverter can be used to hook the nebulizer up to the accessory or cig lighter of the car and be used that way. We don't have to use it very often, but do not want to be without just in case, 2 of us have asthma. I also got a car battery charger to charge the battery back up when there is intermittent power to charge with.
nanabush View Drop Down
advanced Member
advanced Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nanabush Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 27 2006 at 10:11pm
Remember if you get stuck and every thing shuts down trains carry enough food to feed several small armies. abandoned transport truck's are also worth checking out. Grain elelvator's can keep cities going fpr years. Don't waist anything you can dry meat and veg in your oven just set at 100* cut meat into stips and hang from rack and dry lay veg and fruits on parchment paper sliced or mashed and spread thin on a cookie sheet and dry. If your handy Still's are easy to make and you can use the ethonal to strech out your gas. There are some good site's on making bio desiel to.
don't panick just yet
redcloud View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote redcloud Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 28 2006 at 2:22am
Originally posted by bigdaddy bigdaddy wrote:

Solar lights to use indoors is a great idea.  Im putting that one at the top of my list to get next time I go to town.  Kudos

Those lights can be used as battery chargers as well, since they use AA NiCad's. Took me a while but my brain finally came up with the inverse use.

All in all, the idea of scooting out into the fray to gather last minute stuff scares me. It ain't gonna be pretty. Suggest if you need to do this, that you go armed, low-key, ready to abort the trip at any time.
If all is not lost, where is it?
oknut View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oknut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 28 2006 at 3:47am
Originally posted by Mississipp Mama Mississipp Mama wrote:

Hi oknut, I have also purchased essential oils, I'm not sure about inhaler tubes.  What are they and how are they uses with the oils?  Where did you find your refillable nasal spray bottles.  I would like to order some.  Once I know what the inhaler tubes are I will want to order them as well.  If you still have the info on these items will you please send  it to me.  thanks.

Albert posted a thread called Humor the other day. It contained links to a couple of Jon Stewart bits on BF that were hilarious and also a link to an informative video. In the informative video, the speaker (male RN) dicussed the value of esential oils and suggested using them with inhaler tubes. He mentioned putting essential oils on cotton to be placed inside the nasal inhaler tube. I searched on ebay and sure enough - someone was selling the empty, refillable inhaler tubes that come with blotters for essential oils. You can just go to ebay and search on "empty inhaler tubes" and they should come up. Think the seller has essential oils too, but I already have plenty of those.

A company at www.dreamingearth.com also sells a couple types of refillable inhalers. The ones I bought off ebay are plastic, but these folks have some metal ones too.

Then I did some more searching and discovered a product called Breathe-ease that comes with a refillable nasal spray/drop bottle. Seems to be a dry mix that you prepare with water for use in the bottle. It's available from quite a few places.

When the doctor gave me an in-office breathing treatment for my pneumonia, it really helped to loosen up the congestion so I thought the portable nebulizer might be a worthwhile investment.

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 28 2006 at 10:02am
Originally posted by nanabush nanabush wrote:

Remember if you get stuck and every thing shuts down trains carry enough food to feed several small armies. abandoned transport truck's are also worth checking out. Grain elelvator's can keep cities going fpr years. Don't waist anything you can dry meat and veg in your oven just set at 100* cut meat into stips and hang from rack and dry lay veg and fruits on parchment paper sliced or mashed and spread thin on a cookie sheet and dry. If your handy Still's are easy to make and you can use the ethonal to strech out your gas. There are some good site's on making bio desiel to.

Thank you Nanabush!  I have been stockpilling meats and veggie's in my freezer,can't even fit another thing.  I wondered what I would do if power was lost.  Your tip may have saved me alot of money if TSHF before we can eat it all.  I looked at dehydrators at Wal-Mart all gone.  Thanks a bunch!
Mississipp Mama View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mississipp Mama Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 28 2006 at 10:10am
  Hey oknut, thank you so much for the information.  I will work on this today.  
Samoa View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Samoa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 28 2006 at 9:49pm
Last Minute Stuff, you say?  Well, if this thing is as protracted as some people think it will be, then vegetable seeds would become invaluable the following Spring.  They're cheap, take up virtually no space and keep well.  
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 28 2006 at 9:54pm
Originally posted by Samoa Samoa wrote:

Last Minute Stuff, you say?  Well, if this thing is as protracted as some people think it will be, then vegetable seeds would become invaluable the following Spring.  They're cheap, take up virtually no space and keep well.  

I just bought over 40 packets.  They are everywhere right now,but won't be much longer as everyone is getting gardens going(not just us).  I researched this and learned that you can store seeds in original package in a paper bag.  Put them in a coffee can and store in your basement.  Keep them out of moisture and sunlight. DO NOT vacum seal them as this sucks all the natural moisture out of the seed and it dries and crumbles.  Freezing them can also cause this. Blessings!
Bill 100 View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill 100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 29 2006 at 7:28am
I don't know if everybody has checked out dollar general for preperations. They have some stuff. I picked up some 1 pound canned hams for $2 each. Bristol brand, a good size, and not bad price.
A storm is coming !
pugmom View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pugmom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 29 2006 at 8:50am
Don't forget to pickup an OTC product called Mucinex.  It liqufies secretions in your lungs and helps you to cough them out when you have bad colds or pneumonia.  It saved me last winter when I had 2 very nasty chest colds back to back.  I was miserable, coughing constantly, thick junk in my lungs, couldn't sleep lying down, couldn't breathe etc.  With mucinex, everything became loose and liquid, I was able to cough it up, and finally got a good nite's rest, and was able to breathe.  After using it for the first time, I was a believer, and now always have it in my medicine chest.  It could be a frontline drug, if, god forbid, you get either flu or pneumonia. 
jpc
MelodyAtHome View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MelodyAtHome Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 29 2006 at 9:15am
I was drinking my coffee watching FOX news on 9/11 when it happened. I was in shock! My brother called from Spain and new instantly it was terrorist. He called my dad out of a deep sleep...he didn't believe it until he turned the news on. I ran my baby over next door to my mom and raced to the grocery store...can you believe NO ONE in the store new what was going on! Not the cashier, customers in line...I called my hubby at work and no one at work told him either. (now they have tv's in the lunch room in case this happens again) But anyway, I loaded up my cart(even though I was already prepared...as I alway am...but it was last minute supplies. I wasn't sure how bad our country was going under attack. I watched the twin towers and on way to store heard about the other planes...I didn't know when it was going to end. My gosh, I was so worried...mostly for my baby. Now I have 2 little one to worry about and of course my hubby...
Melody
Emergency Preparedness 911
http://emergencypreparedness911.blogspot.com/
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 29 2006 at 10:24am
Originally posted by pugmom pugmom wrote:

Don't forget to pickup an OTC product called Mucinex.  It liqufies secretions in your lungs and helps you to cough them out when you have bad colds or pneumonia.  It saved me last winter when I had 2 very nasty chest colds back to back.  I was miserable, coughing constantly, thick junk in my lungs, couldn't sleep lying down, couldn't breathe etc.  With mucinex, everything became loose and liquid, I was able to cough it up, and finally got a good nite's rest, and was able to breathe.  After using it for the first time, I was a believer, and now always have it in my medicine chest.  It could be a frontline drug, if, god forbid, you get either flu or pneumonia. 

It is good stuff, but it has been around forever. Mucinex is nothing more than a massive dose of Guaifensin. Its been in Robitussin since dinosaurs roamed the earth. Most Drug Store Chains have a generic version. Just look for Guaifensin at 400 mg or so. Its about 1/3 the price and works just as well.
TrishaA View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TrishaA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 30 2006 at 7:31pm
 I agree that the less you have to do last minute, the better.  Fresh food makes a lot of sense.  There is always going to be things that you wish you had gotten.  At least being a part of this sight gives you more " last minute time " than other people will have.
looking for blue skies in a dust storm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic