Click to Translate to English Click to Translate to French  Click to Translate to Spanish  Click to Translate to German  Click to Translate to Italian  Click to Translate to Japanese  Click to Translate to Chinese Simplified  Click to Translate to Korean  Click to Translate to Arabic  Click to Translate to Russian  Click to Translate to Portuguese  Click to Translate to Myanmar (Burmese)

PANDEMIC ALERT LEVEL
Forum Home Forum Home > Main Forums > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Tracking the next pandemic: Avian Flu Talk

Last minute list

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote outsidethecamp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 30 2006 at 7:44pm
Well, today I have decided that what we really need is...

More propane for our gas grill,
More charcoal
More H2o or a means to get H20 from our deep well
More paper products such  as plates, cups., etc...
More plant seeds, as I'm not the best gardener
More FAITH that the dear Lord will deliver us from all of this crap.

Yeah, that is what is most important.

More faith.

Gotta go.

God help us all...
Peggy

redcloud View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote redcloud Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 30 2006 at 8:38pm
Originally posted by outsidethecamp outsidethecamp wrote:

More H2o or a means to get H20 from our deep well

Outside,

Try this. I bought one for my 100' well. It's called a well bucket:

http://www.lehmans.com/jump.jsp?itemID=97&itemType=PRODUCT&path=1%2C2%2C681%2C878%2C881    
If all is not lost, where is it?
Mayy View Drop Down
advanced Member
advanced Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mayy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 30 2006 at 9:18pm
"I don't know if everybody has checked out dollar general ..."

amazing what they have... I found big pump bottles of hand sanitizer,
plastic bed bath basin, liquid soap, all kinds of 50 cent cards to send later,
bleach, peroxide....
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 30 2006 at 9:48pm
Peggy, the most saintly lady I've ever known always said "use what you have and the Lord will multiply it." I did and he has.

If we come to it we can get through it. I have always saved for a rainey day more lately than ever but it's not about me now.
Of late I have neglected to stop to relax and rest enough. That is also something needed to keep ones strenth up. I think if and when I need to stay in I will think of it as a long needed vacation.  I worked 2 jobs for about 30 years raised a large family never took a vacation so I am due one!
Good luck and God bless all.
honeybee View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote honeybee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 31 2006 at 8:50am
Maysday!  What an appropriate message!  

There is too much fear being talked about. I am not saying it isn't appropriate as people wake up to the need to prepare; it has its place, but it can do its damage also.

What you said struck me personally.  I also have worked all of my life, two jobs sometimes.  Last year my husbands health reached a point I had to quit and stay at home with him.  I tore myself apart because our life was changing, guilt for not working, etc. 

Until one day I remember that my one regret was that I never got the chance to be a fulltime homemaker.  I realized that I was feeling totally sorry for myself, and I couldn't even figure out why. 

Our need for family support has drawn his children to visit more, and they are getting closer.  To sustain the new tight budget, I have learned to move away from convenience foods.  He was retired, so did all the housework while I worked - but now mostly it falls to me. 

It took six months to realize that I had finally been blessed with everything I ever wanted.  Family, homelife, and the chance to be with the man I love all day and night.  Once I woke up to that everything changed for me - here I thought I was miserable, but I was truly happy.  Talk about looking a gift horse in the mouth!  lol

More people have to take your outlook.  If you are prepared for the most part - then this will be a chance for you to be and do whatever you want, and no one can fault you for the change of lifestyle.

I read here how parents are scrambling to buy school supplies to teach at home.  What their children will learn from this experience will not be found in the workbooks.  It will be from how the family gathers together; the family stories will have a chance to be told; kids will learn about life as they help their parents do new tasks; instead of from the shop or home economics teacher; and on and on

50 years from now I bet many of these children will tell their familys this year was one of the best of their lives despite the bird flu. 

I believe that we will make it through this, and then marvel at the changes in ourselves and others.

Good Luck and God Bless

Honeybee
emmcee View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote emmcee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 31 2006 at 8:53am
Has everyone thought what they would do if they need a dentist because of a cap coming off or a filling falling out?    There's an OTC product called Dentemp that's a first aid for just such tooth problems.    I think it's worth having on hand.      Smile  
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 31 2006 at 12:39pm
Hi emmcee,

Thanks for the info. Where do you get the Dentemp? Is it a dental glue? We purchased a dental kit at http://www.surviveall.co.uk when we bought some masks for our kids. It has among others dental filling paste, crown glue, clove oil etc. I’m sure there must be emergency dental kits here in the US as well, but we just added it to our order, since we were ordering from them anyway.

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 31 2006 at 1:47pm
HoneyBee, I know exactly what you mean. Over my life time I've experienced things that I thought to be the awful when later on down the road I realized had I not gone through that, I would not have reached this much better place. I caught a glimpse of a higher plan.

There was some 14 months I was unable work. And I guess I went off on a "pity party." It was one of my children who keep sitting by my bedside  telling me "you need to stop thinking about what you can't do and concentrate on what you can do." Let me pass that on because he was so right. We don't know what our potential is. I had to crawl again before I walked.

The Lord feeds the birds but he doesn't put it in the nest. I had to scratch a little, but end of story is that last year I made more money than I'd ever made in  my life even working two jobs and have a whole new world helping people! Yes, I know what you mean. Thank you.
racer35 View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote racer35 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 31 2006 at 1:53pm
I truly believe that we will wake up one morning and it will be on the news that someone in the US has dies of BF.  At that point, if you have any last minuet preps, I feel for you.  Panic is not a plesent sight.  Get ready now.  We do not have much money, but thanks to this forum, I believe that we have the essentials prepped for 6 months.  I pray that we will not need them and think of all the money we will save not buying food, gasoline, medicines, paper products. for a few months if this does not happen.  I will keep some preps in stock all the time, just in case.  Fresh fruit would be a luxery in a pandemic situation so.... freeze it now when it is in season.  Store root vegetables in a cool dry place.  Just think of our forefathers on the farms during the winter season.  Prep as they did and you will be ok. 
Those who fail to prepare, prepare to fail.
outsidethecamp View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote outsidethecamp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 31 2006 at 3:22pm
Thanks RedCloud for the info. on the deep well bucket. Wink

As soon as I opened the link you sent & saw it was a Lehman's site, I knew exactly what you were talking about. 

We purchased this exact item back in '99 for Y2K!  The only difference is that the one we have is made of PVC material vs galvenized steel.  We've never tried it as we don't want to pull our existing pump if we don't have to.

Lord willing, it will work for us if we need it to.

Peace & God bless...
Peggy
redcloud View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote redcloud Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 31 2006 at 3:38pm
Originally posted by outsidethecamp outsidethecamp wrote:

We've never tried it as we don't want to pull our existing pump if we don't have to.

You may not have to, depending on how much depth of water is above your pump. Drop a weighted string into the casing, pull it up, measure the dry length. Then drop the weighted string back in until it hits the pump housing and goes slack. Measure the dry difference, and that will tell you how much wet head space is above the pump housing. Might be enough to at least partially fill the well bucket.

Also, unless your pump has a torque suppressor on it, there may be enough room for both the pump and the well bucket to fit side by side in the casing, depending on the diameter of your casing.

Red
emmcee View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote emmcee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 31 2006 at 4:22pm
Hi Grace,   I  believe I found the Dentemp at WalMart - either there or Walgreens.    (We live in a small town and don't have much selection in stores.)   LOL 

It sounds like the dental kit that you already bought  may provide the same thing.   The Dentemp can be used as a temporary filling or to re-attach a crown, etc. 

I think it's important that we try to think of possible emergencies that don't necessarily happen frequently, but would cause considerable discomfort without having some type of preparation.    I would imagine that dentists wouldn't want to come into contact with anyone during a major flu outbreak, I sure wouldn't blame them.     Disapprove

Another thing that I bought (in prep for Y2K) is a package of pre-threaded needles for suturing wounds.     My husband works out in his shop all the time and if he had an accident with a saw it would certainly present a challenge!!!    Y2K didn't present the problems that were predicted, but it sure got me to do some preparations for an emergency.    

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 31 2006 at 4:50pm
Thanks for the post emmcee. I think we do have some of that stuff in our dental kit, but thought I might get some extra if it's not expensive (with all the dental work we've had). We prepared for Y2K as well, and still reap the benefits. Can I ask you where you got the pre-threaded needles for suturing wounds as well? (Sorry everybody that this is not directly about this thread's title for last minute lists..)
emmcee View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote emmcee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 31 2006 at 5:47pm
I got my suture needles from a feed store that had a lot of veterinarian supplies.    There are a lot of vet supplies which can be applicable for humans.    

There are medical supply stores (both for vets and human use) online where they can be bought if you don't have a local feed store that carries them.  

I have never sewn anybody up - but I figured in an emergency I could do it (yes I know to use antiseptic, etc.)

LOL

redcloud View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote redcloud Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 31 2006 at 7:13pm
Originally posted by emmcee emmcee wrote:

I have never sewn anybody up - but I figured in an emergency I could do it (yes I know to use antiseptic, etc.)

Once you numb them up, it's a piece of cake. If they are yelling, it's tougher to be gentle or accurate. The hard part for most people is to stop realizing that you are actually sewing SKIN. Helps if you drape the wound first.

Red

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 31 2006 at 7:26pm
I had a large filling fall out just before christmas and a friend told me about the temporary dental stuff it worked great for her.  The stuff I bought from a local pharmacy did not work worth a hoot.  It just kept falling out in less than 24 hours and I had to keep putting it back in.  Only thing that fixed it was going to the dentist.  The stuff she used she swears stayed in for 10 years so maybe there are some major differences in the temporary filling stuff you can buy. 
Mississipp Mama View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mississipp Mama Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 31 2006 at 7:38pm
Hi Red Cloud, What would be the best thing to use to numb a person before you had to sew them up.  I hope i don't ever have to do this, but would like to be ready if i had to.  Thanks.
redcloud View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote redcloud Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 31 2006 at 7:55pm
The most primitive (besides conking them on the head, I suppose) would be ice. You'd be amazed how much that deadens. Add a little whiskey to that (internally), provided the injury is not life-threatening, and they will relax and therefore feel less pain/anxiety, and it'll seem like it's over quicker to them. Pot also works. (NOT a recommendation)

There are all kinds of over the counter things that have some variation on xxxx-caine in them.

Ambesol for toothaches works in open wounds or on any mucus membrane. Burns a bit, but it works.

Neosporin makes a "Neosporin + Pain" variety now that has some -caine in it.

LanaCAINE, SolarCAINE, etc.

I'm sure the pros here have much more to say about this than me. I've done it a couple of times, once when I had to dig a big fishhook out of somebody's back, and another time when somebody did a face plant on a camping trip. Neither of which qualifies me for anything other than being the person who happened to be there and wasn't sqeamish.

redcloud View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote redcloud Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 31 2006 at 8:08pm
Somewhere here I saw someone recommend superglue instead of suturing, which I've never used for this, but would work. I'm not sure I'd want to put those weird chems in my body, but then they use glue of some kind in surgery these days. I don't know what kind it is, or where you'd get it, but I doubt you'd find it at Home Depot.
honeybee View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote honeybee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 01 2006 at 6:59am
What about using those little spring clamps you see on some wounds today?  Wouldn't that be easier on everyone?  Can they be purchased? 
Honeybee
Bill 100 View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill 100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 01 2006 at 7:43am
I have been thinking about buying some plywood, cutting them to fit the lower windows. So they can be screwed in to the frame. Maybe have some cutouts to see out. But not install them until needed. Glass is easy broken and I would not want to have go to lowe's, if they were needed. I can always use the plywood for something else if they are not needed.
Somebody might have already posted something like this I don't know.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 01 2006 at 8:39am
Originally posted by redcloud redcloud wrote:

Somewhere here I saw someone recommend superglue instead of suturing, which I've never used for this, but would work. I'm not sure I'd want to put those weird chems in my body, but then they use glue of some kind in surgery these days. I don't know what kind it is, or where you'd get it, but I doubt you'd find it at Home Depot.

Vaseline works wonders...they put it on boxers during a fight to stop bleeding with out chemicals going into body...A must have for every first-aid kitWink
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 01 2006 at 8:41am
Originally posted by Bill 100 Bill 100 wrote:

I have been thinking about buying some plywood, cutting them to fit the lower windows. So they can be screwed in to the frame. Maybe have some cutouts to see out. But not install them until needed. Glass is easy broken and I would not want to have go to lowe's, if they were needed. I can always use the plywood for something else if they are not needed.
Somebody might have already posted something like this I don't know.

Yes, I posted this.  I also am doing this and buying heavy curtains.  I am attaching the ply-wood over curtains as to give a "Normal" apperance from the outside.....Blessings!
lkay View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lkay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 01 2006 at 11:58am
I called today to see if the clinic I go to is giving pneumonia shots. Is this something you all would suggest I get?
honeybee View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote honeybee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 01 2006 at 12:26pm
kay - absolutely get one.  Many people who die of the common flu do so because of complications- and that is usually that pneumonia has set in.  The shots are good for 5 years.
Honeybee
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 01 2006 at 1:15pm
I read somewhere on this board that you can only get the pneumonia shot twice in your lifetime, which is why it's only recommended for those 65 and over. Don't forget one shot only protects you for about 5 years.
I'maprepper View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote I'maprepper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 01 2006 at 1:34pm
lkay,
Hunky Hubby just got one last week.  His arm was sore.  I'm next.
Be a good Scout. Be prepared- for anything.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 01 2006 at 4:56pm
Originally posted by Irene Irene wrote:

I read somewhere on this board that you can only get the pneumonia shot twice in your lifetime, which is why it's only recommended for those 65 and over. Don't forget one shot only protects you for about 5 years.

Can anybody confirm this? 
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 01 2006 at 5:03pm
Originally posted by Bumpman2 Bumpman2 wrote:

Can anybody confirm this? 

I did a search and found the original post making that comment:

Originally posted by Dlugose Dlugose wrote:

There are some reasons why the pneumococcal pneumonia vaccine is not recommended for most people under 65.  Even over age 65, less than one in 1000 people get a pneumonia that this will help with.  You can only get this vaccine as an adult twice, and it wears at an unpredictable rate in around 5-10 years.  So it is best to save the vaccine until you are quite old- if you get it at 55 and 65, in your 70's when you need it most it will be wearing off.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 01 2006 at 6:13pm
No I do not beleive that to be true. Only the highly susceptible should get a second shot one shot should confer immunity to most.  I have had one pneumonia shot several years ago and had no side effects worth reporting and should still have antibodies for the 23 strains.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 01 2006 at 6:25pm

Pneumococcal polysaccharide vaccine

Printer-friendly versionEmail this page to a friend
Contents of this page:

Illustrations

Pneumococci organism
Pneumococci organism
Pneumococcal pneumonia
Pneumococcal pneumonia
Pneumococcal vaccine
Pneumococcal vaccine

Alternative names    Return to top

Vaccine - pneumovax; Immunization - pneumovax

Definition    Return to top

This vaccine provides immunization against Streptococcus pneumoniae, a bacterium that frequently causes meningitis and pneumonia in the elderly and in people with chronic illnesses.

Information    Return to top

VACCINE INFORMATION

Pneumococcal is an inactivated-bacteria vaccine, which means it uses inactive bacteria to teach the immune system to recognize and fight the causative agent if it is ever encountered.

It effectively prevents illnesses caused by Streptococcus pneumoniae in children over 2 years old and adults at risk. Pneumococcal pneumonia accounts for 10 to 25% of all pneumonias.

IMMUNIZATION SCHEDULE

The vaccine is recommended for:

• high-risk people over 2 years old
    • this includes people with heart disease, sickle cell disease, lung disease, kidney disease, alcoholism, diabetes, cirrhosis, and leaks of cerebrospinal fluid
  • all people 65 years or older
  • people with sickle cell disease or who have had their spleen removed
  • residents of nursing homes (extended-care facilities)
  • residents of any institution housing people with chronic health problems
  • people with immunological deficits (such as cancer, HIV, or organ transplants)
  • Alaskan natives and certain Native American populations

A single-dose injection is given. One dose is sufficient for most people. However, revaccination is recommended for people over age 65 who received their first dose prior to age 65 and more than 5 years ago.

In addition, people with some of the conditions listed above, especially immunological defects and spleen problems, may need a second dose. This immunization is not effective against pneumococcal diseases in children under 2 years.

There is a different vaccine, the pneumococcal conjugate vaccine, which is routinely given to younger children to protect against disease due to Streptococcus pneumoniae.

RISKS

Most people have no or only minor side effects from the pneumococcal vaccine. Pain and redness at the injection site can occur. As is the case with any drug or vaccine, there is a remote possibility that allergic reactions, more serious reactions, or even death may occur after receiving the pneumococcal vaccine.

DELAY OR DO NOT GIVE (CONTRAINDICATIONS)

Pneumococcal vaccine should be withheld or given to the following people only after consultation with their primary health care provider:

• people with fever or illness that is more than "just a cold"
  • women who are or might be pregnant

POSTIMMUNIZATIONS AND CARE

Watch for and be familiar with how to treat minor side effects, such as low-grade fever or tenderness, at the injection site.

CALL THE PRIMARY CARE PROVIDER IF:

• uncertain if the pneumococcal vaccine should be delayed, withheld, or given to a specific person.
  • moderate or serious adverse effects appear after the pneumococcal injection has been given.
  • there are any questions or concerns related to the pneumococcal immunization.

Update Date: 7/20/2004

They left off one very important group that SHOULD ABSOLUTELY get vaccinated. People that are either missing their spleen (ie surgery) or their spleen is greatly impaired. Many physicians are not informed regarding this so do not take no for an answer tell them to "look it up".

Edit......I see they listed spleen removal with sickle cell.  Anyways anyone who has had their spleen removed should get this vaccination.  Many physicians miss that their patients need it.
Pfwag View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pfwag Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 01 2006 at 7:39pm

FYI: There is data that indicates that the PPV needs to be taken yearly.  With BF it might be good to hedge your bets anyway.  Good report on PPV and other things at http://www.arielco.us/page3.html  The stuff on PPV is in the second section. 

My wife used to routinely catch pneumonia.  It was the primary reason we moved from Hawaii to Colorado.   Now we use CS and a nebulizer.  Works better than anything she ever had before.  BTW: I just found and downloaded a  recent report published by two bona fide MDs that says CS will cure BF.  Send me an e-mail if you want a copy.  pfwag@lycos.com
redcloud View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote redcloud Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 01 2006 at 8:29pm
I had one in '99. Called my doc's office after reading about it here. They said it lasts ten years.

I'm beginning to think that nobody knows anything anymore.
Pfwag View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pfwag Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 01 2006 at 10:47pm
Redcloud - read the stuff on PPV on  http://www.arielco.us/page3.html  At least a PPV works.  The only question is how long is the vaccination effective for.  I have an article reporting on a doctor in VietNam that treated some 40 BF patients and who says Tamiflu is worthless treating BF.   I'll hav emy wife get a PPV soon and I'm doing other things but Tamiflu isn't one of them.
TradeCrafter View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TradeCrafter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 01 2006 at 11:20pm
A Glock model 22 or Glock model 23, with 500-rounds of 40.caliber (carry/duty) ammo is always a good purchase.  But more important than the purchase is getting training from a first-rate, certifying handgun carry permit school.  It is not enough to simply possess a weapon.  You must know how to use it, quickly and effectively based on skills that you learn through several hours of class time, and subsequent practice (dry firing at home) and at the range.  If you are a responsible citizen, there is no reason that you should not have a handgun carry permit if your state allows for one.

If it is your responsibility to protect your family and loved ones, then you should take advantage of this option.  Hopefully, it will always remain an option.  But.  In the event it is no longer an option, would you be negligent if you did not excercise your right to carry and use a weapon?

Glocks are easy to use.  They are easy to clean and fix.  And 65% of the police in the U.S. use them.  I instruct in Memphis, TN.  Please carry if you are a responsible citizen.
I will never wittingly lie to you or manipulate you.
TradeCrafter View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TradeCrafter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 01 2006 at 11:47pm
"A Last Minute List" is something that all of us should put our minds too.

Prescription meds for ourselves and family members.

Any products that have a shelf-life of six-months or less.

And of course, fresh fruits and veggies.

But what about the rest of that list.

We have gloves, masks, germicidals, antibacterial hand soaps, nasal  sprays, and general household dissenfectants.  But what it is we are lacking?

My last minute run to COSTCO and Wal-Mart will include what?

Ensure, cooking oils, extra propane tanks, eggs, milk, and bacon?Wink
I will never wittingly lie to you or manipulate you.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 02 2006 at 12:30am
Clothes shoes

I have stocked up on jeans and have boots to ast a lifetime because the shops will be empty
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 02 2006 at 5:16am
Perscription meds need to be done now. Last minute will be too late. I will be going over my last minute list this weekend. I figure last minute will be pretty busy in the stores. We really want to keep it simple or at least things we don't want to invest in unless it's really going to happen.
bargie34 View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bargie34 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 02 2006 at 6:10am
Yesterday, I hired two men to help me set up an INTEX (easy set) swimming pool. (8' X 16') I don't know exactly how many gallons of water it holds, but it is a lot.
The pool has a cover, which I plan to put on today. Now, I have water to use for flusing toilets, etc. I purchased the pool (via the internet) a couple of months ago, but,  as it seems that we are drawing closer to the possibility to a pandemic, I feel like I have yet one more  necessary item in place. I hope and pray that I will never have to use it for anything more than splashing about with my grandchildren.
This forum is wonderful; so many smart, informative people! I learn something new here everyday.  Thank you, friends.
Bargie34
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 02 2006 at 6:28am
Originally posted by bargie34 bargie34 wrote:

Yesterday, I hired two men to help me set up an INTEX (easy set) swimming pool. (8' X 16') I don't know exactly how many gallons of water it holds, but it is a lot.
The pool has a cover, which I plan to put on today. Now, I have water to use for flusing toilets, etc. I purchased the pool (via the internet) a couple of months ago, but,  as it seems that we are drawing closer to the possibility to a pandemic, I feel like I have yet one more  necessary item in place. I hope and pray that I will never have to use it for anything more than splashing about with my grandchildren.
This forum is wonderful; so many smart, informative people! I learn something new here everyday.  Thank you, friends.
Bargie34

I have the same pool,only bigger going on 3 years three years.  They are great!  Don't forget to by chemicals/filters NOW as the stores always run out when we get half-way through summer. Last summer we still could use our pool,buy couldn't find chemicals and filters....NO FUN.... The best chemicals for these pools is called "SUPER SOCK IT", made by HTH,you can buy a box of 5-1lb bags at Wal-mart for $14.00.  You DO NOT need chlorine or anything else.  This is the second pool like this I have had and chlorine breaks down the material the pool is made from.  I used chlorine before....see why this is the second one???!!!!! Ruined it.  Happy swimming!Wink
bargie34 View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bargie34 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 02 2006 at 6:41am
raptureready, thank you. I plan to purchase the extra filters and SUPERSOCKIT today. I wondered what Chlorine would do to the lining of the pool. Your suggestion probably saved my new pool from deteriorating at a more rapid rate than usual.
As stated previously, I learn something new here every day.
Bargie34
lkay View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lkay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 02 2006 at 9:16am
Thanks for the info on the pneumonia vaccine. I guess that's something I better do very soon. I'm still a little confused about it all, but I'll worry about that in 5 years. Smile  For some reason, they (the clinic) acted like I was crazy for asking for one since I wasn't 65 and had no  health issues. Ermm  I'maprepper, glad to know they give it in the arm. I was wondering about that...btw, did you get that info I posted on the water tank. I think I tried posting it about the time the state forums changed.

If I have time for "last minute" things, it will basically be just more of what I already have. I sure do wish for that "I've got enough, done enough" feeling...

This has probably been mentioned, but I always like having the "old timey" phone that just plugs into the jack...no electricity needed.

THanks you guys...I've added things to my list you've mentioned that I hadn't thought of.
honeybee View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote honeybee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 02 2006 at 9:34am

These are a few last minute items I am noting.  Most of these ideas I read about right on this site, so may ring a bell:

"Church Candles" - find a religious store near you. They have the candles that burn for three days, a week, 100 hours, etc.  I don't want to invest now, but will when it happens. 

The perishable foods...

Order a few pizzas from my favorite place, request that they don't cook them, then freeze them.

Wine.

Books, puzzles, craft kits.

My Christmas shopping for those in the house.

Call the phone company and pay for installation of a land line (I am on digital) AND order up DHL service; pay ahead for a year if possible.  As one contributor here pointed out - if the cable company goes down, or the power goes out; being without the computer will put me over the top!

Reading this back, it all sounds frivilous - but then again, that should be all that is left on our list, right?

Honeybee
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic