Click to Translate to English Click to Translate to French  Click to Translate to Spanish  Click to Translate to German  Click to Translate to Italian  Click to Translate to Japanese  Click to Translate to Chinese Simplified  Click to Translate to Korean  Click to Translate to Arabic  Click to Translate to Russian  Click to Translate to Portuguese  Click to Translate to Myanmar (Burmese)

PANDEMIC ALERT LEVEL
Forum Home Forum Home > Pandemic Prepping Forums > General Prepping Tips
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Tracking the next pandemic: Avian Flu Talk

Portable Oven ... cool!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Portable Oven ... cool!
    Posted: May 24 2006 at 1:35pm
Has anyone seen one of these, before? How neat this is! And reasonable, as well ... it's now on my 'wish list'! I in NO WAY have anything at all to do with Coleman .... I just think this is so neat! And it folds flat!
Coleman Portable Camp Oven

Made of smooth, aluminized steel that folds flat for easy portability, Coleman's Camp Oven is perfect for baking and keeping foods warm while exploring the great outdoors.* Great for baking muffins, potatoes, pies and more as well as heating up cans, pot pies and frozen entrees. Comes with an adjustable steel bake rack and an easy-to-read thermometer.
*The Coleman Portable Camp Oven requires a camp stove as the source for its heat:
  • 1. Center the Coleman Portable Camp Oven over the master burner of your camp stove.
  • 2. Preheat the oven slowly and allow enough time for the desired baking temperature to become stabilized.
  • 3. Place foods, cans or other suitable products in the center portion of the oven and let heat.
Rocky View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rocky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 24 2006 at 1:55pm
OK, I give up. Do you know its manufacturer? I would like something I could put on the grate of a low burning wood fire pit. Does this work for that purpose? I am intrigued. Thanks
Rocky
Prepare for the Unexpected!
Rocky
http://www.homeemergencyusa.com
purplepanther View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote purplepanther Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 24 2006 at 2:15pm
I have one that I got at Wal Mart. I haven't used it Maybe I will use it this weekend. I'm going to try my campstove out this weekend to practice using it maybe I will Use my oven.Thumbs Up
Penham View Drop Down
Chief Moderator
Chief Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Penham Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 24 2006 at 2:57pm
Pretty cool!
MAJDAD View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MAJDAD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 24 2006 at 3:39pm
Have one.  Do not know if you can use it over an open fire guess I will finde out when I run out of propane.
Major Dad hopes you are all alive and well and looking out for each other
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 24 2006 at 5:42pm
Doesn't it need a lot of propane if you would want to bake bread on a regular basis?

I thought of buying one too, but then thought it must take a lot of propane to bake bread in a 350/400 degree oven for an hour or two, every other day.

MajDad, have you used yours before. How long does one bottle last?
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 24 2006 at 6:21pm
I picked one of these up for hurricane season, and just left it on the shelf. When I started prepping in earnest, I did a dry run with muffins and bread. Worked great, but search around for smalll muffin and bread pans. If they are too big, you get poor circulation and uneven cooking. Also, if you go to the home center and buy a cheap unglazed terra cotta tile, and have them cut it down to 10.5 x 10.5 inches, it will fit on the bottom of the oven, give you more consistent and even heat. Finally, there are refill adapters available fairly cheap that allow yopu to refill the 1 lb bottles from the typical 20lb BBQ tank. This cuts the cost of the small bottles to about .45 cents. I've got 2 20 lb tanks and a 40 lb tank. I'll be cooking for a long time. There are also hoses which will connect the camp stove to a 20lb tank so you dont even have to worry about filling the little one. I got the refill adapter for the gas lanterns, but plan on running the stove right off the 20 pounder. Costs work out about like this: 20 one pound bottles: $65.00 on sale. Refill for one 20 lb tank: $11.00 at my local fruit stand.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 24 2006 at 6:50pm
You've all talked me into getting one!  Walmart?? I'll have to look. Geeze ... Walmart is making a bundle off of all of us!  I Love the refill idea on the little bottles ... that would be good for travel purposes. Can't believe the difference in multiple bottles vs one tank.  That would be one of the 'last run' items.  I dont' think that a lot of people would be going after propane if they haven't prepared ... they'd be thinking of immediate needs: food/water/gas, maybe.  -k  ps. got my double burner stove tonight!  Yipee!! (and it's not even my birthday ... just an extremely busy newsday that made me real nervous!)
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 24 2006 at 6:51pm
Oh, Rocky ... didn't you see in the post ... they are 'coleman'. -k
diane View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote diane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 24 2006 at 7:16pm
They are made by Coleman, and i got mine for 29.99.  I thought it would work on top of my porcelain wood stove, but it didn't quite get hot enough. works well on propane though!!
Rocky View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rocky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 24 2006 at 7:19pm
Ok, I am now really confused. I thought ReadyMom said:
"I in NO WAY have anything at all to do with Coleman"
I read that to mean she isn't buying anything by Coleman. Did I miss something here? I had an old Coleman stove about20 years ago and cooked with it over a grilled open fire pit. It seemed to work. Yes, I was concerned about the amount of propane to bake bread daily. That is why I was looking for something to go over an open fire. Rocky
Rocky
Chrystle View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chrystle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 25 2006 at 12:14am
Chrystle
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 25 2006 at 4:33am
Sorry Rocky .... I meant I'm not plugging it cause I'm making $$$ off of it! LOL! Must have been tired during that post, too!  I just thought it was so neat .... first I had seen one.  Much better than making a solar oven ... and relatively inexpensive and it folds FLAT! We have electric EVERYTHING in our house, so this will be great to keep on hand.  And with our kids being teen age, they are getting the age, where they'll be able to use them, on outings in the next few years, as they get older, if they choose.  Worth getting and keeping on hand.  Especially since they are a reputable brand that seems to stand the test of time!-k
oknut View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oknut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 25 2006 at 4:44am
I picked up one of the folding camp ovens but have never used mine yet either. We have an old gas countertop range and tiny gas wall oven. The oven won't work if the electricity is out. I bought ours from amazon.com with free shipping. Think I paid about $32 for it which would make it roughly the same as the Walmart price after tax.

I figured I might be able to bake in the camp oven on the gas range burners. We picked up a used dual fuel 2 burner camp stove too so hopefully it will work on either of them.

I'm planning to try the windshield shade solar cooker for some things like beans that need to cook forever but hope we continue to have natural gas supply for making coffee and things indoors.
MAJDAD View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MAJDAD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 25 2006 at 3:24pm
Some one was looking for a solar charging unit for their batteries.  Try this

On the over, it will run for 4 hours at 500 degrees on one bottle or 5 hours at 375.  I only intend to bake bread every other day and I have 48 bottles of gas  for a total of 192 days of cooking time.

I have 2 Coleman Camp Stoves and have included the Drip coffee maker in the mix.  I have 6 20 bottles of bulk propane.  Added a splitter tree and will be able to run both stoves off of one tank at the same time. 

I am looking at a camping sink with water on gravity feed running the waste water into the garden. 

Get that done and the wife will have a 4 burner cooking set up with separate oven and a sink for the dishes .

I have the solar lanterns so we should be good for cooking with.
MAJDAD View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MAJDAD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 25 2006 at 3:26pm
0knut.  Soak your beans overnight and then use a pressure cooker.  The beans should cook in about 30 minutes.
2ifbyC View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 2ifbyC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 26 2006 at 9:59am
Originally posted by twoolf twoolf wrote:

Also, if you go to the home center and buy a cheap unglazed terra cotta tile, and have them cut it down to 10.5 x 10.5 inches, it will fit on the bottom of the oven, give you more consistent and even heat. 

Super idea! I'll have to get that oven. I've been concerned about the solar oven baking bread properly. This oven would be just what I need. I have a hundred pound and four 20 pound propane tanks.

Survival does have an 'I'!

Dodging 'canes on Florida's central Gulf Coast
Rocky View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rocky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 26 2006 at 12:42pm
I'm actually looking for a small stove that can be used while sitting on a grill above a low burning camp fire (wood coa;s, not charcoal). I think the Coleman oven is probably designed to be used with their camping stove.
Rocky
Rocky
oknut View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oknut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 26 2006 at 1:06pm
Originally posted by MAJDAD MAJDAD wrote:

0knut.  Soak your beans overnight and then use a pressure cooker.  The beans should cook in about 30 minutes.

Thanks MAJDAD!
I rediscovered my small pressure cooker just 2 days ago when digging through a deep cabinet to give some huge stockpots to a friend.
It was back behind them and I thought it had been lost over the years. I'll put it to work, it's been ages since I've used it.
2ifbyC View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 2ifbyC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 26 2006 at 1:07pm
Just got back from WalMart. I picked up the oven and noticed that the drip coffee setup was on sale for $25, marked down from $37. Of course I had to buy it also.

Coleman oven - $27
Coleman drip coffee maker - $25
Fresh coffee and cinnamon rolls when the 'lights go out' - PRICELESS! Wink

Survival does have an 'I'!

Dodging 'canes on Florida's central Gulf Coast
MajDad View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MajDad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 26 2006 at 2:06pm
2ifbyC now that's what I am talking about.
Pegnboo View Drop Down
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pegnboo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 08 2006 at 5:53am
    Is there another setup that is both oven and stovetop and runs on any fuel? I thought I saw that somewhere on here.
Peg
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 08 2006 at 12:47pm
Hi,

This is what I bought.  It's a bit pricey (it's $85 at overstock.com, but many sites sell it for close to $200) but has a low fuel requirement -- only requires 8 pieces of charcoal to cook for hours and has a built in oven feature. 

What I really like about it, is that you can pick it up and move it, while the fire is going.  The double wall construction limits heat loss.  The outside gets warm by not hot.

If you decide to get it, I'd suggest that you do not use oil in the bottom tray (which they recommend as a way to keep food moist.  Cleaning that can get "interesting". 

Cobb Portable BBQ Grill and Cooker

Cobb Portable BBQ Grill and Cooker

I'm still putting together a solar cooker as a backup in case I run out of charcoal but this is now my new BBQ unit. 
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 09 2006 at 3:44pm
Pegnboo

There is on listed in the July Emergency Essentials catolog.  They have a web site www.beprepared.com  I have ordered food from them.  They were recommended by others on this board. Problem is that it is 'pricey'

$249.99.  You can hook it up to either a 20# propane tank or a 1# tank.  It is item number YF1-CK-0100 if that helps.   I would like to get one but a little to much for me.  I already have a Coleman camp stove and I got the oven that sits on top of it.

GG
Pegnboo View Drop Down
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pegnboo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 18 2006 at 8:43pm
I'm looking also at the volcano stove http://www.safetycentral.com/volcanostove.html
and maybe a triple cast iron cooker (around $60) that can be used with propane.  I've got a 6 foot stainless steel restaurant food prep table to use as part of our outdoor kitchen and we have one propane grill.  There may be as many as 15 of us to cook for so I'm thinking we need different fuel sources.  The idea of many propane containers sitting around makes me nervous. 
Peg
Pegnboo View Drop Down
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pegnboo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 18 2006 at 8:54pm
GG, that is one fantastic stove.  Thanks for the link.  It's something to consider for sure.
Peg
pamcat View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pamcat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 21 2006 at 6:02am
Has anyone used either the cobb to actually cook with or used the volcano

I am considering purchasing one or the other because of the small number of charcoal needed  I am trying to decide which one to buy  thanks pam
Rocky View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rocky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 22 2006 at 10:19pm
Volcano II Collapsible Cookstove, Comes With Propane Attachment.
Cooks with Wood, Charcoal, or Propane. Terrific stove!
See pictures and detailed description at our website:

http://www.homeemergencyusa.com/Volcano-II-Collapsible-Cookstove-%3Cbr%3EWith-Propane-Attachment-%3Cbr%3ECooks-with-Wood%2C-Charcoal%2C-or-Propane_6_185_detail.html

Rocky

Originally posted by pamcat pamcat wrote:

I am considering purchasing one or the other because of the small number of charcoal needed  I am trying to decide which one to buy  thanks pam

Rocky
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 25 2006 at 4:48pm
Originally posted by pamcat pamcat wrote:

Hi Pamcat,

I've got the cobb and love it.  While they talk about using oil in the lower chamber - don't since that is hard to clean (but ordinarily it's a breeze.)  Since it only needed 8 pieces of charcoal - the large bag should last for some time.

I would not try to bake bread in it since I think the bread would smell of charcoal smoke, however you could wrap a baking potato in foil and bake it easily!

There is an optional wok/grill kit which I don't have - but it may be a good add on in the future.

take care,
K. 
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 14 2006 at 6:48pm
I too am interested in the Cobb but I have a question. So you put your six pieces of charcoal in the bottom, then what? do you drench it in lighter fluid? After that what is there to keep the coals going? Don't you have to put coals in a pyramid first till they get white? I have built a lot of fires over the years, but never really cooked without propane. I don't think propane will last long, but you can store charcoal in the garage in huge bags. Please elaborate. Also, has anyone figured out if yeast can be vac sealed or canned?
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic