Click to Translate to English Click to Translate to French  Click to Translate to Spanish  Click to Translate to German  Click to Translate to Italian  Click to Translate to Japanese  Click to Translate to Chinese Simplified  Click to Translate to Korean  Click to Translate to Arabic  Click to Translate to Russian  Click to Translate to Portuguese  Click to Translate to Myanmar (Burmese)

PANDEMIC ALERT LEVEL
Forum Home Forum Home > Pandemic Prepping Forums > General Prepping Tips
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Tracking the next pandemic: Avian Flu Talk

If you don,t have a firearm

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: If you don,t have a firearm
    Posted: January 26 2006 at 6:11am

lol...

I bought my kids tons of caps and cap guns for Christmas..I found some caps on sale really really cheap..and as I was tidying the house..

I thought get a cap gun and caps..makes one big noise and would scare any type of would be intrudure...

swankyc View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote swankyc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 26 2006 at 6:24am
Originally posted by muskrat muskrat wrote:

I thought get a cap gun and caps..makes one big noise and would scare any type of would be intrudure...

Would probably only scare the complete morons.   Big difference between a pistol shot and a cap gun.

I'm not afraid, I'm paranoid. Dont talk too loud, they are listening.
htpp View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote htpp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 26 2006 at 6:58am

I guess I can't just "hope" only morons will try to steal from me.  We do not own a weapon but have discussed, even before the BF discussion, the possibility of purchasing one. Don't like the idea of being defenseless if someone tries to harm my children.

We don't have a lot of money right now and the weapons that we have checked into are pretty expensive and neither my husband and I know anything about guns.  Any suggestions/ideas on what type of weapon would be good.  

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 26 2006 at 7:51am

Everyone here will no doubt have a different opinion - here is mine.  For the money, local pawn shops would offer the best deals, remember that their marked price will be high(still much less than new) and they will come down usually quite a bit off that.  A shotgun makes good home defense, you just point in the general direction and pull the trigger.  If you are not acusstomed to shooting I would reccomend a 20 gauge since the recoil is less.  This is for close up defense - someone trying to come through your window or door.  That would be my first choice, value to use.  Second choice would be a lever action rifle.  Dad's often buy these as a first deer hunting weapon for their kids and they are generally plentiful.  They have range that a shotgun does not have but you have to shoot more accurately with the rifle than the shotgun.  I think they are good for home defense since a round can be chambered very quickly.  My thought is that if I am trying to break into your house and I hear a loud noise then wood glass whatever bust up around me, even if you did not hit me - I think I just might leave.  If you buy at a pawn shop look at the general condition - ask if you can return the weapon if it is prone to jam, or any problems within the next few days with purchase of a different weapon.  The laws on purchasing weapons are different everywhere, but  shotguns and rifles are generally more relaxed than hand guns. 

I hope this helps

bruss01 View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bruss01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 26 2006 at 8:10am
Originally posted by htpp htpp wrote:

We do not own a weapon but have discussed, even before the BF discussion, the possibility of purchasing one. Don't like the idea of being defenseless if someone tries to harm my children.

We don't have a lot of money right now and the weapons that we have checked into are pretty expensive and neither my husband and I know anything about guns.  Any suggestions/ideas on what type of weapon would be good.  

htpp - Please don't let the cost of expensive firearms, like a $1500 AR-15 asault rifle or a $900 1911 handgun or a $3000 engraved shotgun scare you away.  I know that there are some crazy expensive firearms out there, and they are pushed quite heavily by afficinados and possibly even by gun stores, but they are NOT NECESSARY.   If you just want a good, sensible handgun, I feel you cannot go wrong with the Springfield XD in .40 caliber - very reasonable at about $400.  If times are especially tight you can get a very economical revolver from Charter Arms, their Bulldog model comes in .44 Special and is a steal at $250.  It's not as durable as the XD nor does it have the capacity, but imho will serve adequately for light duty.  A shotgun is an excellent home defense tool. I saw a Mossberg 500 with two interchangeable barrels advertised at Big 5 Sports this week for $219, an excellent value since one barrel is designed longer for hunting, while the other is shorter for defensive use.

You and anyone who will be handling your firearms for fun or for defense will need training, either by an experienced friend or (preferably) through a class.  Your local range or gun store should be able to steer you in the right direction.  Frequent practice (ideally once a month, but at least 4 times a year) is recommended to keep those safety and handling skills fresh in your mind. Keep in mind, children will need to be trained, even if that training consists of "NO - don't touch!  Come get mommy or daddy if you find this!"  This does not diminish the importance of safe storage where children are concerned, this is your back up plan.

If you would like some additional info send me a PM and we'll get you all you need to make a good choice for yourself and your family.

Edited by bruss01
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 26 2006 at 8:26am
ok it was a thought...
bruss01 View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bruss01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 26 2006 at 9:11am

Originally posted by BamaSteve BamaSteve wrote:

Everyone here will no doubt have a different opinion - here is mine.  For the money, local pawn shops would offer the best deals, remember that their marked price will be high(still much less than new) and they will come down usually quite a bit off that.  A shotgun makes good home defense, you just point in the general direction and pull the trigger.  If you are not acusstomed to shooting I would reccomend a 20 gauge since the recoil is less.  This is for close up defense - someone trying to come through your window or door.  That would be my first choice, value to use.  Second choice would be a lever action rifle.  Dad's often buy these as a first deer hunting weapon for their kids and they are generally plentiful.  They have range that a shotgun does not have but you have to shoot more accurately with the rifle than the shotgun.  I think they are good for home defense since a round can be chambered very quickly.  My thought is that if I am trying to break into your house and I hear a loud noise then wood glass whatever bust up around me, even if you did not hit me - I think I just might leave.  If you buy at a pawn shop look at the general condition - ask if you can return the weapon if it is prone to jam, or any problems within the next few days with purchase of a different weapon.  The laws on purchasing weapons are different everywhere, but  shotguns and rifles are generally more relaxed than hand guns. 

Steve,

Like you said, everyone has an opinion - I like all the firearms you recommend, but I differ with you on a few points.  Unless a shotgun has a sawed off barrel only a few inches in length (ILLEGAL), you cannot just "point in the general direction" and expect to hit your target.  I challenge anyone who believes otherwise to spend an afternoon on the skeet field testing their belief.  I shoot skeet with a 20" barrel Mossberg 590 pump-action riot gun, and hitting the target not only requires aiming, it requires accurate aiming.  Take a shotgun to the patterning board or try it on paper targets.  At 20 feet, the pattern will be about the diameter of a softball. 

My second concern is over used firearms.  For someone who is experienced, and has other firearms as a backup in case something goes wrong that is fine.  As you say, there are bargains to be had.  However, someone who is purchasing a first-time firearm, especially when it may be their one and only firearm, is taking a chance.  Will they know what to check, what to look for, what to test on a used gun?  Will they know when the gun is wrong, or simply question their own inexperience?  If the gun breaks down or has to go in for repair, there is no warranty, and during the time it is out of commission, they are back to having no gun.  For a first time gun owner, especially if they will only have one or two guns, I think New With Warranty is the way to go.

KOMET163 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KOMET163 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 26 2006 at 7:52pm

Here is my take on the gun issue.

First,

I have a few guns and I suppose the first one should be a cheap shotgun you can get one at walmart or Big 5 sporting goods store. Second, a Beretta 950 22 cal. pistol would be a good option.  Old military bolt action rifles are a great option if you have a sight to go with it. lots of stores have ammo for rifles and shotguns

Second

Go to a sporting goods store or hunting store and ask if they know of someone who teaches firearm safety and shooting.   Pay the person to train you the right way to shoot. dont be afraid to fire your gun at least 1000 times or more.  Find out who has ammo and shells for your gun, stock up on the ammo.

Third

plan the firezones in your home...  Develop plans to fire the guns.

CupcakeMom View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CupcakeMom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 26 2006 at 8:27pm

I worry about all of you out there with guns in your homes.  I'm just afraid the wrong person will end up shot! It's just my opinion, but I bet the vast majority of us will live out our lives never, ever needing to use a weapon against an intruder.  Ever.  I expect to be flamed by others in our e-community that disagree, but I don't plan to even consider having one around during a pandemic. 

Folks worry about being the in country, like I am, like you are more vulnerable to 'bad guys' because of your isolation.  But I have to say that I feel safer here.  I live in an earth-sheltered home on a few acres, off a single lane road that dead-ends.  The crime rate in my area is extremely low.  I can't imagine my neighbors forming a roving gang (they're middle class families that would rather cooperate together than hold me up!).  The criminals in the nearest urban area would find it tough to get way out here to try to steal my preps! Ha!

Please reconsider any major weapons stockpiling, just think about what makes sense in your situation, ok?

bruss01 View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bruss01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 26 2006 at 9:59pm

CupcakeMom,

Owning and wielding a firearm (however benign the purpose) is an awesome responsibility.  I would never criticize anyone for choosing not to have one in their home.  It is a very personal decision.  There are too many variables - someone may feel unsafe due to inquisitive children or elderly residents who are not "all there".  Some may be subject to a mood disorder or even a temporary depression which makes them question their own personal safety if they were armed.  Some may simply lack knowledge or training, or have an irrational phobia that they cannot master, which can make them feel uncomfortable in the presence of a firearm.

All of these concerns can be dealt with and overcome, but it is no one's place to tell another that they must own a firearm.  There are other means of defense - Pepper spray, taser, or even a ball bat behind the door.  Perhaps a knife as a last resort, or a skillet or a rolling pin.  Even kicking and screaming beats nothing at all.  But these are of limited use if the agressor has a firearm.

Like you, I have lived off the beaten path and never felt safer in my life.  However, please do keep in mind that if/when resources are exhausted in the urban areas, there may be floods of desperate people who pour into the countryside in search of resources or fleeing the urban chaos.  Hopefully they will never make it to where you are.  I envy your isolation.

I do worry, like you, about untrained people who bought a gun 10 years ago and have it in the bottom drawer of the nightstand where it has sat the entire time next to a box with a few mossy old rounds.  I worry MORE about all the people who are sitting back, thinking they don't need to prep because if it gets that bad (like we saw in New Orleans) they know the local Walmart has guns that they can steal, and then use them to get whatever they want. 

If a pandemic and economic chaos descend, I don't plan to be roaming the streets looking for trouble.  But if trouble comes knocking, I want to be prepared to respond in kind with the most capable and effective means at my disposal.  The most powerful and effective means available to me are my firearms.  I will not have them sit idle if by their judicious use I can keep my wife and myself from harm.

Choosing to have a firearm in the home is a big decision.  Choosing NOT to have one, in my mind, is an equally big decision.  Each of us chooses our own way, may we be granted the wisdom to choose well.

Edited by bruss01
CupcakeMom View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CupcakeMom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 27 2006 at 7:32pm

I appreciate your thoughtful, reasoned response, Bruss01. 

I worry about innocents getting shot.  Please correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe that when a gun is in the home, family, friends and neighbors are statistically much more likely to be shot with that gun than any criminal is.  What if stupid parents leave a loaded gun somewhere in the house (if a stranger approaches, they might not want to unlock the gun cabinet, the unlock the gunlock, then unlock the ammo box, then load....).   If someone approaches for an innocent reason (needing help? wanting to give information?)  one of you out there in cyberspace who is stocking up on a pandemic booze supply even as I write this, might shoot when you're two sheets to the wind.  Will you be wanting to talk first to see 'who' it is, if it's at night?  Just be careful...

swankyc View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote swankyc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 27 2006 at 8:43pm
Originally posted by CupcakeMom CupcakeMom wrote:

I appreciate your thoughtful, reasoned response, Bruss01. 

I worry about innocents getting shot.  Please correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe that when a gun is in the home, family, friends and neighbors are statistically much more likely to be shot with that gun than any criminal is.  What if stupid parents leave a loaded gun somewhere in the house (if a stranger approaches, they might not want to unlock the gun cabinet, the unlock the gunlock, then unlock the ammo box, then load....).   If someone approaches for an innocent reason (needing help? wanting to give information?)  one of you out there in cyberspace who is stocking up on a pandemic booze supply even as I write this, might shoot when you're two sheets to the wind.  Will you be wanting to talk first to see 'who' it is, if it's at night?  Just be careful...

Like Bruss said, no one can tell you that you MUST own a firearm, but by the same token, in all of your worry, I hope you arent misplacing that to try to tell others they CANT own a firearm.  It's not someone else's business either way.  Accidents can and will ALWAYS happen with anything you can conceive. 

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 27 2006 at 8:43pm

CCMom,  just because I can't help myself....

MANY more children drown at home every year than are shot with a gun (not counting drive-bys). 

Responsible gun ownership (which I think was your point) is FAR less dangerous than the tub, toilet, filled buckets, and swimming pools in and around our homes.

Dave View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 27 2006 at 8:59pm

Cupcake Mom,

If there is anyone out there "stocking up on a pandemic booze supply", and they do shoot someone when they are "two sheets to the wind", no amount of concerned posts and worry on this site will stop that from happening.  Some people are irresponsible and will overreact.  That can't ever be changed.  Unfortunately, those people make responsible gun owners look bad.  Personally, having the protection of firearms gives me GREAT comfort and a solid sense of security.  And I don't say that as a general rule.  I have firearms that are a hobby and I love to shoot for fun, but at this point in time I do not look at them as a means of personal protection.  Come pandemic days...that's a different story.  It's a personal decision for each of us, and I have the utmost respect for someone who does not make the same choice as I.  I would just hope that you do not classify all firearm owners as drunken, trigger happy, yahoos who shot first and ask questions later.  Training and common sense are the key to safe and effective employment of firearms.  Most people have the common sense part down, and a little training would go a long way in completing the circle.

Just my thoughts...Dave   

bruss01 View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bruss01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 27 2006 at 10:02pm

CupcakeMom -

Your concerns are well-founded.  Some people live in communities where people routinely drive while impaired, beat their wives, let their dogs and children run wild, and display other forms of socially irresponsible behavior.  It's not unnatural to suspect our fellow citizens of being "bad neighbors" when one is constantly subject to these sorts of assaults on "proper behavior".

However, the upright citizen, who pays his taxes, votes, takes care of his/her property and childeren/animals, cares about their neighbors and community - is a whole different subject.  These are the people I WANT to be armed, just in case I ever need them to come to my defense.  A bunch of vigilantes?  NO - just good neighbors looking after each other.  Samaritans. This person is trusted with a vehicle, a device thousands of times more deadly than a firearm, and it is aimed at countless innocent people daily. Should this person not be trusted with a device to protect the lives of his family, and himself?  If he/she is trained and skilled with both, why not? There is more to be lost than gained in denying that ability.

I agree with you that gun ownership is not necessarily for everyone - in some cases forgoing that honor is best for all concerned.  Training makes a difference between being a "loose cannon" and being a "concerned citizen".  I have to constantly remind myself of a quote I saw recently - "Think how stupid the average person is - then realize that half of all people are stupider than that."  I'll wager, that half of the population are not the ones reading this board. 

One of the cardinal rules of firearm safety is "know your target, and what lies beyond".   Others include "Keep your finger off the trigger unless you are aimed at the target and have decided to shoot", "Never point a firearm at anything you are not OK with seeing destroyed", and "Every firearm is presumed loaded unless the magazine is removed and the action is locked open".  A person can break any 3 of these rules, and still not have a tragic accident.  Internalizing these rules and making them automatic reflexes is what the training is all about.   Is that black sillouette in the doorway uncle Ned, come to see how we're doing, or a looter with a knife?  The rule says, if you don't know the target, stand down - when in doubt, don't.

John Lott, a guru of statistical acumen, has seriously analyzed the issue of gun safety.  His works are widely available, including two published works, "More Guns, Less Crime" and "The Bias Against Guns".  His analysis shows that resisting crime with a gun is much more effective and safer for the intended victim than other forms of resistance, including passivity.  As SophiaZoe mentioned, childeren are much, much less likely to experience  firearms accidents than they are to experience much more common forms of domestic accidents - and even this negligible level of risk of a firearm accident can be reduced to unbelievably remote odds by careful safe handling, storage, and training of the child.

Food for thought.  Appreciate the reply - your concerns are thoughtful and show the hallmarks of concern for others, a laudable trait. 

Edited by bruss01
mightymouse View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mightymouse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 28 2006 at 6:56am

Having a firearm and knowing how to use it in a time of crises is the same as having the proper tool for the job at hand.  It can be a mean world out there at times and what is possibly coming may be one of those times.  Self protection and protecting your family should be right up there with lots of food and water.  If one needs to pound a nail and the only tool in your toolbox is a block of tofu - LOL!.

ps36 View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ps36 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 28 2006 at 8:22am
I am planning to buy a samurai sword from china town today for protection.
Sure2Survive View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sure2Survive Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 28 2006 at 12:51pm

Here are the two guns you should own.  As a rep for a company that does SWAT Team training I feel confident in these two choices for the money.

1. Glock pistol either model 17,19,22,23 these are the 4 glocks of choice=$550

2. Remington 870 pump shotgun 12 guage=$250

both of these guns are very reliable and easy to use.  make sure to go to a range and learn to use them.  Most police dept offer training courses for free or very little money. Use what the pro's use nothing less your life depends on it! Also buy new not used if possible

Sucess requires eye's wide open
swankyc View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote swankyc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 28 2006 at 5:49pm
If the 12 is too much for you, as it is for my wife, get the 20 gauge from Remington.  That has done really well for me.
hope2liv View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hope2liv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 29 2006 at 1:25pm

I am a single mother living on the edge of a large metro area.  I am just as afraid to own a gun as I am to be without one during a pandemic?  I considered other options like fake quarantine signs to ward off intruders.  But maybe potential intuders might learn that these signs are a welcome sign that people inside have preps.  What about mace or a fake dog barking alarm?  I don't know what to do.

Marjo View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marjo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 29 2006 at 2:16pm

Over here in The Netherlands it is not legal to own a firearm, unless you use it for sport or for your job (police etc.).
In both cases it is forbidden to have those firearms at your house, they have to be put in vaults at work or at the training facility.
(which *I personally* think is not a bad idea as there were exactly 201 murders in 2005 in our entire country!! )

I'm sure it is possible to buy one on the black market:
sometimes we have criminals that kill each other (hurray!! ),

but if I would do that I have no opportunity to learn how to use it well and to practise.

So.... I won't be able to use a gun and will have to rely on other means of protection. What do you all recommend?

(BTW, tasers and pepperspray are also illigal and can not be bought in a store.)

Marjo

corky52 View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote corky52 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 29 2006 at 2:25pm

A glass of gas  to throw and a book of matches!  Not a pleasant thought but very effective!  Decide if you're willing to kill and then decide what you're willing to use.  Guns are neat and clean, gas and matches will do the job in a less pleasant way.

Yes, I'm not a very nice person!  Even worse I mix paraffin shavings and soap powder with the gas in the glass, sticks better that way! 

koolsteve View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koolsteve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 29 2006 at 5:17pm

Edited by koolsteve
ninjas rule
bruss01 View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bruss01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 29 2006 at 6:38pm

Originally posted by Marjo Marjo wrote:

Over here in The Netherlands it is not legal to own a firearm, unless you use it for sport or for your job (police etc.).
In both cases it is forbidden to have those firearms at your house, they have to be put in vaults at work or at the training facility.
(which *I personally* think is not a bad idea as there were exactly 201 murders in 2005 in our entire country!! )  I'm sure it is possible to buy one on the black market: sometimes we have criminals that kill each other (hurray!! ), but if I would do that I have no opportunity to learn how to use it well and to practise.

So.... I won't be able to use a gun and will have to rely on other means of protection. What do you all recommend?

(BTW, tasers and pepperspray are also illigal and can not be bought in a store.)

Marjo - Please forgive me if I make any false assumptions.  Based on the fact that firearms, tasers and pepper spray are all illegal for civilian posession in the Netherlands, it sounds like the people and the government are confident in the government's police and military's ability to provide basic necessities and protection for every citizen.

I don't know how to say this other than, um, I hope it works out that way for you.  If you disagree that they will be able to provide sufficient protection in a widespread crisis, what are your options?  Learn a martial art?  A slingshot?  Crossbow (are those legal there?).  Two-by-Four?

For those Americans who are reading this, take note:  Without concerned gun owners constantly fighting for 2nd Amendment rights, this is exactly the situation we would all be finding ourselves.  Utterly frightening. As Marjo notes, no matter how restrictive the laws become, the criminals will always find a way to get a gun.  It is only the law abiding that are disarmed by restrictive firearms legislation.

Marjo, I wish you the best, I really do.  All I can suggest is to ask around and see what forms of self-defense are legal in Holland. 

mini-mouse View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mini-mouse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 29 2006 at 9:37pm

Marjo, one thing you might consider is buying cans of hornet spray. It shoots a twenty foot stream and is supposed to be very incapacitating, we have placed a can at each of our four entrances and plan to carry one in our vehicles. Good luck to you, do not be afraid it will rob you of your ability to think on your feet.  I really like hope2liv's idea of the recording of barking dogs, I won't need that one though because I have a vicious sounding Chihuahua named Max!

Sure2Survive View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sure2Survive Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 29 2006 at 9:55pm

Ever see one of those horror movies where the bad guy gets in the families house to attack them and they are trying to figure out what to do...they are all about to die and you say to yourself as you are whatching..If only they had a gun they could kill the GUY!!!! Why don't they have a gun! AAAAHHHHHHHH then they all die.

Maybe you should get a gun if you don't got one.  Just a thought

Sucess requires eye's wide open
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 29 2006 at 10:39pm

C'mon folks wake up. There are 4.5 MILLION hard core drug addicts in the US. We are surrounded by extremely dangerous illegals, and lunatics that will kill you for a cigarette.
So I guess when a gang is knocking down your door, you'll run for your can of bleach or cap gun and confidently say, "Make my day!"......yeah right.....

BUY A GUN.

I just bought a remmington shot gun for $315.00 it's a little loud, and I wasn't use to the recoil but I hit the target dead center. If I can do it anyone can. Just the sound of the gun being cocked is enough to send someone running.

If you can't afford it, sell something, work overtime, borrow it, have a yard sale.
It's your family's life we're talkin' about.

Things may get very chaotic and police nowhere to be found. You may find you're on your own.

Mary Kay
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mightymouse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 30 2006 at 5:34am

If you live in the US and in a state where you can get a concealed carry permit I would suggest that you get one el pronto.  Most gun shows offer 1 day classes.  In some states (fl being one) I think it is legal for anyone (who is not a felon and is of sound mind) over (21?) to carry a loaded and concealed gun in their vehicle. You might want to check your state laws on the net.   In those areas where they have taken away your guns - ie. England, Australia, etc. the crime rates do not go down - they go up.  surprise surprise..  Who ya gonna call? 

A plastic look-alike gun might work as a bluff but I wouldn't count on it. Make sure to  paint the orange tip black.  Running out the back door and letting the looters have all your stuff might just be the more prudent response if you don't have a suitable weapon.  Would be a good idea to have a stash of goods hid in a really secure location - just incase your main stash got looted or confiscated.  Rest assured in many areas your goods will be scooped up by the local officials (for the common good) and you will be looked upon by all the hungry people that did no preps - as one of them nasty hoarders. 

If you don't believe in guns, refuse to own one, etc. you might want to get in front of a mirror and  practice cowering, crying, and begging for your life because that may be your only resort.  Reason flies out the window in times of chaos. 

Living in relative peace and security is wonderful but please realize that if you live in that kind of an area your peace came at the cost of many lives over many years and peace is usually the result of law and order.  Remove law order and peace will quickly run away.  The ebb and flow of human history is a strange mix of peace and war - on both large and small scales.  The directions things are going in now seems anything but peaceful.  People may very well end up being responsible for their own security and safety.  I would act and plan accordingly.  The movie Mad Max from our Australian friends   is a great study in the breakdown of all law and order.  A state of mind is a powerful tool in itself.  No matter who you are, where you are, or what you have - try to develop a survivor type of mindset.  It will be one of your greatest assets if tshtf. 

Nothing matters - Therefore everything matters
swankyc View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote swankyc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 30 2006 at 7:19am
Originally posted by mightymouse mightymouse wrote:

If you don't believe in guns, refuse to own one, etc. you might want to get in front of a mirror and  practice cowering, crying, and begging for your life because that may be your only resort

LOL, That's good stuff.

swankyc View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote swankyc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 30 2006 at 7:24am

Originally posted by Mary Kay Mary Kay wrote:

Just the sound of the gun being cocked is enough to send someone running.

Mary Kay

True story:  My mother told me once she was lying awake in bed and heard someone jump our fence and start walking toward the house. 

She grabbed my dad's 12 gauge, cocked it as loud as she could and said in the direction of the window, "You'd better hop back over that fence".  She heard the person promptly run and hop back over the fence.

danc View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote danc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 30 2006 at 11:41am

If your talkin about survival, gun fighting and surviving are probably at odd's with one another. If you are actualy prepared to use a gun against another human you've gotten over the first hurdle. If you don't you just end up giving a weapon to someone you've just rely ticked off. This goes for knifes axe's and so on. The whole problem with a gun fight is one guy win's and someone looses and their's no way of predicting the outcome. You should talk to your nieghbors maybe you have some trained vets in your nieghborhood who can help. Buy extra food to help those in need . There is strength in numbers and community you'd be better served in developing those bond's than buying a gun. If you still feel the urge to get armed buy a 12 guage pump action shot gun. Use buckshot and be prepared to ambush looters. You don't want it to be a fair fight. Realize that a rotting corpus has to be dealt with for hygene purposes so make sure you have the mask's gown's  shovel and so on to dispose of it. Try not to kill one of the kids, friends or nieghbors coming to check up on you and you'll do fine   

don't panick
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mightymouse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 31 2006 at 9:46am

danc-

good stuff!  When I was young I couldn't wait to join the service and go fight for my country in some obsure place called Viet Nam.  The closest I got to any action was having our ship shot at by snipers on land while we were anchored off the coast of Chu Lai.  You'd hear a 'ping' every now and then as we offloaded troops and supplies.  We learned to walk on the seaside of the ship.  I eventually ended up at a crypto facility in Japan where we would scan the 'kill lists' every morning for lists of the dead and injured from the day before.  Sometimes the lists would just go on and on for pages.  Once in awhile I would see a name i knew, but each name was someone's husband, son, brother, or friend.  Death is a nasty business and killing is no fun. 

If you choose to have a gun for protection - Know your target before pulling that trigger.  Make sure it is absolutely necessary.  Understand the possible repercusions.  And take responsibility for your actions.  Also realize if you hesitate to act when absolutely necessary,  and you end up on the losing end - the perp. is probably not going to give two hoots about your sorry dead ass.

Note:  If tshtf over time there will be lots and lots of homeless, anbandoned, starving, sick, and mentally ill people wondering around.   Be prepared to help those in need that cross your path.  Not every stranger that comes to your door is a target.

Nothing matters - Therefore everything matters
tybaltlives View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tybaltlives Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 10 2006 at 9:01pm

I am new here and have a lot to say.  But I am just going to stick to the firearms topic (for now).

Now, before things get too crazy, get yourself a gun.  If you can only get one, get a shotgun.  A 12-gauge shotgun is probably the best but it is heavier and many have quite a kick.  The really nice thing about a shotgun is that it is versatile.  You can buy ammo called "rifled slugs"  These are roughly 70 calibre (like a small marble) sized bullets.  They can take down a deer (if you are close enough - say 50 yards or less).  You can also get buckshot (it is like shooting nine 33 calibre bullets all at once).  A huge variety of shotgun shells full of various sized pellets are readily available for taking down birds and rabbits.  So, a shotgun will fulfill a wide range of needs from hunting to defending yourself.

By the way, if you do get a gun, pay the money and take the time to get some training.  Buy target rounds and get yourself some practice.  You need to know what your gun will do and how to handle it safely. 

Now, I would absolutely defend my family if I had to - but you know, I think the best defense is a "quarantine" sign on the front door.  Stock up, lay low, and act sick and weak if someone comes to the door (while your wife stays hidden with the shotgun just in case.  The problem is that a determined attack will eventually overcome your shotgun.  So, be ready to use it for defense but hope that you don't have to.

The main reason I have a gun is for hunting.  You know, with not that much ammunition I could take down enough rabbits, stray dogs or whatever to keep my family fed indefinitely - certainly for a year.  After that it will be a whole new ballgame.  Either some of us make it through or we dont.  Eventually we will have to develop other means for survival - probably not guns.

Anyway, here is my question for the rest of you.  How much ammo do you think (in my proposed scenario) one should keep on hand.  How many rounds of slugs, buckshot shells, and birdshot shells should I keep?  Ammo is not really that expensive, particularly now when it is plentiful.

Thanks all for your opinions.  I hope the pandemic never comes, but on the other hand it does not hurt to be prepared.

-R

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 10 2006 at 9:05pm

Well, Ty.... welcome aboard.

We couldn't answer your query without knowing your circumstances.

You might find it helpful to search this site, search feature located upper right, for guns, shotguns, etc.  We have some incredible information posted by a couple of VERY knowledgeable posters. 

After you have done some reading then if you still have questions, we can address them. 

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 11 2006 at 5:54am

I am a gun person so I might be biased. If you do not own one now, get one. Get a few 100 rounds of ammo. Go to a firearms class, go to the range with a experienced shooter. Range time/ training with a firearm will and can save your life in a SHTF event. If you are not comfortable and efficient with your firearms you need to be.

I shoot on average 500-1000 per month with my AR's and pistols. Practice and training are a must.

Even though you feel guns are bad, criminals love people who cannot shoot back while they do the nasty deeds to your family.

RicheeRich View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RicheeRich Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 11 2006 at 6:59am

I agree about the XD-40. I really love mine.

For those of you who can't afford to add a firearm to your preps, or don't want to for whatever reason, I would suggest that you try to coordinate with your close neighbors to work out a mini-neighborhood watch plan. Get yourself some "air horns" like the ones used at sporting events. Work out watch shifts where you either look out the window, or venture out close to home.

In case of intruders, start making noise, then run and hide (if you like). This will alert your neighbors and give them a chance to do something defensive, regardless of what type of capability they have.

(When I hear the alert, I'm coming out, and God help anyone who doesn't belong there.) :-o

bruss01 View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bruss01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 11 2006 at 8:08am

Food for thought, for anyone trying to decide whether to have a firearm in the home or not:

(art courtesey of Oleg Volk)

Edited by bruss01
TNbebo408 View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TNbebo408 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 11 2006 at 9:32am
I am a gun person, like them shoot them, HELL I even clean them. But to answr Tys question on shotgun ammo, I keep 500 rounds of mixed loads, 4s 6s 8s and just a handful of #1 buck, about fifty of them. All these are #12 and I probably have 250 of 16 and 20 gauge also.

It bothers me to hear people that don't own guns talking of running out and buying one. First a junky gun will get you hurt or killed. If you buy one, only buy it after taking training, shooting several, and get one you are safe with.

Just because, some people can shoot the HELL out of a major caliber weapon, doesn't mean anyone can. How many people buy a tractor trailer for their first car? Don't buy a HUGE, complicated weapon for your first weapon.

A hit with a 22 is better than a miss with a cannon. Get you a small air rifle to learn to shoot with, they won't kill someone by accident, but can ruin an eye, with one bad shot. You can learn to shoot in any backyard or large room, using a bb trap.

My homest opinion is this, if you are not a gun owner and user now, spend your money on other things that may help you better. It takes a lot of time to learn weapons and safety, don't waste time, you can never get it back.

Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tybaltlives Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 11 2006 at 9:47am

Wow, a neat variety of responses.  Thanks to TNb for the advice on ammo.  Everyone should read that post carefully because there is some sage wisdom in there.  I mean, a 100 boxes of ammo arent' going to quench your thirst, right?

In fact, I totall agree that if you do not already have a gun that there are smarter things to spend ~$500 on. 

By the way, I have three BIG dogs.  They love my family but will defend the property with their lives.  I was thinking of getting the sign that says, "Beware of the Dog - survivors will be shot!"  (just kidding).

Oh, I have never killed a living thing (well, maybe bugs) in my life.  But if you are a clay pidgeon, watch out for my shotgun.

Later,

R

Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tybaltlives Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 11 2006 at 9:49am

Oh, the pic of the two options for shielding yourself - I am still rolling on the floor.  I sent it to all my gun-nut friends.  What a sad (and sometimes true) commentary.

Something else to think about.

-R

Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tybaltlives Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 11 2006 at 9:56am

Oh, one more thing as I was thinking about my dogs.

In an emergency I am not about to leave them.  My preparation includes food and supplies for them as well.  I will camp out in the woods before going to a shelter.  And as much as I love them, they might become food for my family if the situation gets desparate enough.  I don't like to think about that but survival is serious business.

The literature from the CDC says that there is no evidence that dogs can catch the bird flu.  Cats, yes.  But dogs look immune.  Does not mean that they could not pick it up from the outside world and carry it to a human, though.  You know, on their nose or feet or something.  But, the addtional protection and comfort of a dog is certainly worth the risk (imho).

Best,

R

bruss01 View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bruss01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 11 2006 at 10:55am

Originally posted by TNbebo408 TNbebo408 wrote:

I am a gun person, like them shoot them, HELL I even clean them. .. It bothers me to hear people that don't own guns talking of running out and buying one. First a junky gun will get you hurt or killed. If you buy one, only buy it after taking training, shooting several, and get one you are safe with.
Just because, some people can shoot the HELL out of a major caliber weapon, doesn't mean anyone can. How many people buy a tractor trailer for their first car? Don't buy a HUGE, complicated weapon for your first weapon.
A hit with a 22 is better than a miss with a cannon. Get you a small air rifle to learn to shoot with, they won't kill someone by accident, but can ruin an eye, with one bad shot. You can learn to shoot in any backyard or large room, using a bb trap.

My homest opinion is this, if you are not a gun owner and user now, spend your money on other things that may help you better. It takes a lot of time to learn weapons and safety, don't waste time, you can never get it back.

Tnbebo -  Got to agree with you on several points... a cheap gun of unknown quality is a bad investment.  A person with a gun who doesn't know how to use it safely and effectively is better off without it.  For an inexperienced gun owner, a complicated firearm is a bad idea, since under stress you forget things.  A person who lives in a household with only adults, who has only enough food and basic necessities to get thru the next week, has better things to be spending money on than a first firearm. A big powerful gun you can't control or shoot well will be less effective than a small gun that you can control easily and shoot well.  The only way to know what your abilities are is to get out and get experience.

Now, having said that, I will add a few caveats.  First, if a person has others who depend on them for safety (children or elders) one must consider how to provide protection when 911 call responses are delayed or unanswered.  Having a firearm and knowing how and when to use it is a proven effective means of doing this.  If a person has no provisions, obviously that should be the primary concern.  But I question the wisdom of having more than a month's food and water, and no way to defend the preps, let alone the individuals in question.  Is a $200 shotgun really that prohibitively expensive?  For some, possibly.  For others, that's what they spend per month at Starbucks.  Don't automatically assume that bigger is better.  If you handle a 20 gauge better than a 12 gauge, which do you think is a better investment?  If you like the .45 acp for it's "stopping power" but consistently shoot higher scores when using a 9mm, remember a hit with a 9mm beats a miss with a .45.  Guys, especially, let ego get in the way and think they have to have a bigenboomen loudenthumper magnum - Some guys at the indoor range recently had a S&W .500 that had such massive blast and recoil that it was making ME flinch.  The only thing that gun is good for is proving yourself a victim of testosterone poisoning. 

As far as learning to use a gun being a waste of time for a bird-flu prepper - I want to respectfully disagree.  With a few rare exceptions, every adult ought to be able to defend themselves against threats on their person.  Parents are responsible for protecting their children.  My personal point of view (not shared by all, accepted) is that capable self-defense is both a right and a responsiblity.  If the threat of a pandemic wakes someone up to the already ever-present need for self and home defense, I'm glad to hear it.  If it motivates someone to become a firearms owner who otherwise would have found an excuse not to, I'm glad of that too, provided they take the next step to become safe and proficient with their new gun.  Shooting can be a fun activity for the entire family (age appropriate, of course) and we all need a break from serious things occasionally - Why not kill two birds with one stone?  Fun, plus an investment in one's safety.  Kind of like swimming -  a recreation and also potentially a life-saving skill.

As far as it taking a lot of time to use a firearm safety - I took two complete novices, who never even saw a gun up close, and taught them the basics of safe handling in 2 hours.  They then proceeded to handle those firearms safely and effectively at the local range for the next two hours with no safety violations.  With a bit more practice, and a 1 day class (I'm thinking the NRA basic pistol class) I would feel no qualms about their ability to safely and effectively wield a handgun for self-defense.  My wife went from never having handled a long-gun, to busting her first clay pigeon in under 2 hours with some training from an experienced skeet shooter.  Don't underestimate the ability of a motivated student.  I don't think of this time as wasted, I see it as being fun and an investment.

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 11 2006 at 11:44am

I

Good imformation  Thanks

fritz View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fritz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 11 2006 at 12:24pm

Hi all. My husband and I live in a very "blue" state and were discouraged on several occations by our local police dept. from getting guns. However, when we became empty nesters we decided to persue it.  The first thing we did was to take the the beginner handgun course found on the NRA website. We did it in one day. Then we went back to the police dept. to do the paper work and the officer gave us a look again when we asked for the handgun purchase forms so I pulled out the NRA certificate of course completion and then the P.O. had a total change of manor. We filed the papers with him in Oct. '05 and got our permits Jan. '06. They came 6 weeks later than he had told us to expect them and they were wrongly back dated so that we only had 3 weeks to make our purchase; you're supposed to have 3 months.  It was ok with us because we were happy we could finally go "shopping".

I'm an almost 50 yr old, 5' tall woman and a shotgun would definately not be a good choice for me.  Tried it once and had a sore shoulder for a week! I will leave that one to my husband. I got a reuger ( I can almost hear all the groans out there from what I read on this forum) but I have a very small hand and it was comfortable for me and just under $200 new. Also, I can practice at the range for a pretty long time using the .22's and then use the stingers for more stop power if ever needed in a real life situation. Since I'm really enjoying this new "hobbie" with my hubbie (it gets us off the couch and out of the house) , not to mention very empowering. We have filed new paperwork and when it comes in (they say 10 days+/-) my husband is buying me my 2nd gun, a Browning! Our instructor met us at the gun store and helped us through our purchase and through the whole process.  I hope this info is helpful to those who are thinking about going this route. I never thought I would but am glad we did.

BTW people.....buy more canned pasta and rice,

do not eat your dogs!!!

Prepare Relentlessly. :>}

Libby your posts really crack me up. Thanx for the laughs :>}

"I am only one; but still I am one, I cannot do everything, but still I can do something. I will not refuse to do the something I can do." -- Hellen Keller
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 11 2006 at 1:10pm

Bruss I have to say it certainly is true,

" One picture is worth a thousand words."

Several years ago my daughter was brutally gang raped by three American men. We were living in South Korea at the time. It's a no gun zone. Now, 9 years later she still suffers the emotional pain.

I will do all I can to PROTECT MY GIRLS FROM SICK PEOPLE, because they're counting on Mom.

Heading out to with the girls to practice tomorrow.
Practice makes perfect.
MK
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic