Click to Translate to English Click to Translate to French  Click to Translate to Spanish  Click to Translate to German  Click to Translate to Italian  Click to Translate to Japanese  Click to Translate to Chinese Simplified  Click to Translate to Korean  Click to Translate to Arabic  Click to Translate to Russian  Click to Translate to Portuguese  Click to Translate to Myanmar (Burmese)

PANDEMIC ALERT LEVEL
Forum Home Forum Home > Main Forums > Latest News
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Now tracking the new emerging South Africa Omicron Variant

"green" status to only seven states

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DAX COM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: "green" status to only seven states
    Posted: May 25 2006 at 7:00am
Most states and cities lack adequate plans to dole out drugs and respirators
needed to combat a flu pandemic, leaving the nation with a critical gap in
preparedness, public health officials say.

The federal government has a stockpile of millions of doses of anti-flu
drugs and thousands of respirators, but health advocates fear the medicine
and equipment could languish in storage or on airport tarmacs during a
devastating outbreak.

"You can have all the Tamiflu and respirators in the world, but if you can't
get them to the people who need them, they're not much good," says Kim
Elliott of the non-profit Trust for America's Health.

The pandemic-related drugs, such as the anti-viral medicine Tamiflu, are
kept in the federal government's Strategic National Stockpile. The stockpile
is a huge cache of vaccines, antidotes and medical supplies that can be used
to respond to disease outbreaks, bioterrorism and other health emergencies.

Supplies are maintained by the federal Centers for Disease Control and
Prevention (CDC) and are stored in secret locations across the country. They
can be flown or driven within 12 hours to state distribution centers, but
from there, it's up to the states and cities to pick up the supplies and get
them to their residents.

As of December 2005, the government granted "green" status to only seven
states prepared to deliver supplies from the stockpile, according to
Elliott's group.

"It's something that, frankly, keeps us up at night," Elliott says.

The CDC, which is giving states $350 million to develop pandemic
preparedness plans, reviews state stockpile plans regularly and rates the
states on overall preparedness.

The government won't say which states have been granted green status. The
trust recently reported that 43 states and Washington, D.C., are either
unprepared or only partially prepared to deliver the stockpile. Six of those
were labeled "red," or the least prepared.

Asia is struggling with an outbreak of the H5N1 strain of bird flu. There's
no evidence the avian flu will mutate to become contagious between people -
a development that could launch a pandemic that would threaten millions -
but infected birds could show up in the USA in a matter of months.

Homeland Security Secretary Michael Chertoff says his department will review
preparedness plans. "I don't think we have any time to lose," he said. "This
is the kind of catastrophic thing that has to be on the front burner."

Georges Benjamin, director of the American Public Health Association, says
states need to conduct exercises to see whether the plans they develop will
actually work.

"It's a big logistical challenge," he says.

Donna Knutson, a CDC senior adviser on terrorism preparedness and emergency
response, says states should try to have workable plans in place within
three to four months.

"We've come a long way," she says, "but we also have a long way to go."

Source:  USA Today

Thanks to Dlugose for the link!

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 25 2006 at 7:08am
'... Homeland Security Secretary Michael Chertoff says his department will review
preparedness plans. "I don't think we have any time to lose,"
Keep prepping!
Linda View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Linda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 25 2006 at 7:26am
Dax....I'm back yea! Thank you and also..Joe...wenmelon ,Millie and "Albert" for all your help....it's so good to be able to post again.  I hope Pa is one of the green states because last I heard they weren't stocking tamiflu.
Insanity is making the same mistakes and expecting different results....therefore...Those who don't learn from history are bound to go insane.
DAX COM View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DAX COM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 25 2006 at 7:41am
Quote The federal government has a stockpile of millions of doses of anti-flu
devastating outbreak.

WHY?  That's my question -  why on God's Green earth isn't the DHS addressing this, giving it every priority to insure that the system works?

Quote The government won't say which states (only seven, mind you!)have been granted green status. The trust recently reported that 43 states and Washington, D.C., are either

WHY?  Only seven states have been granted green status?  43 others and D.C. are unprepared or only partially prepared?  And six are labeled RED for the love of God?   WHY?  What is going on here?  Are the so-called leaders and people is positions so irresponsible and inept that they cannot do what is necessary?

I get so ***sed when I read things like this!
peep View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 25 2006 at 7:49am
Sigh, why would we expect them to be forthcoming about which states? It fits the pattern in which the Avian Flu has been handled from the beginning. They only admit to anything when they cannot deny it any longer.

Part of this is the fault of the media and the prevalent narcisstic American attitude.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 25 2006 at 7:56am
could we have a link to the article please....thanks
DAX COM View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DAX COM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 25 2006 at 8:09am

I will say this much:  If I had a position in the Government, I would have everybody on the phone for a tele-conference and by tommarrow morning all the states would be ready to go or I would take out an ad and publish the list in the New York Times for everyone to see. 

I have a message for all those state governments who aren't prepared yet: 

"Time is short.  Your responsibilty is to protect the people of your state, to be ready today, not tomarrow or next week, but TODAY."
DAX COM View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DAX COM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 25 2006 at 8:13am
Originally posted by standingfirm standingfirm wrote:

could we have a link to the article please....thanks
It is a newspaper artilce in USA Today, written by Mimi Hall.  I don't  have a link for it. 
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 25 2006 at 9:42am
The states certainly need to prepare, but they shouldn't depend on the national stockpile.

Thousands of masks don't go far in a country with almost 300 million people and the millions of doses of Tamiflu won't cover even 1% of our population.

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 25 2006 at 10:01am
The article is at http://www.usatoday.com/news/health/2006-05-23-stockpile_x.htm   I'll be looking for more clues about states that are prepared to use the Strategic Stockpile.  It has come up in meetings in Mass., so I hope we are prepared and will try to find out why not if we are not!  I'll post what I find out if it amounts to much.
DAX COM View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DAX COM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 25 2006 at 10:22am
Originally posted by Dlugose Dlugose wrote:

The article is at http://www.usatoday.com/news/health/2006-05-23-stockpile_x.htm   I'll be looking for more clues about states that are prepared to use the Strategic Stockpile.  It has come up in meetings in Mass., so I hope we are prepared and will try to find out why not if we are not!  I'll post what I find out if it amounts to much.
Thanks for finding the link for everyone, I didn't  have time to track it down.

We shouldn't have to be looking for "clues".  It should be public knowledge posted up on the DHS and CDC websites for everyone to see so that voices can heard, our concerns as citizens expressed and directed towards getting something done to correct the problem.  It is irresponsible and downright criminal IMO that agencies withold this type of information from the people who are concerned and btw are paying their salaries.

And then they have the temerity to wonder why there is zero trust between the people and the government and these agencies.

Give us the information and We, the Public, will do something about the glaring deficencies.

Can you all tell I am mad about this?
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 25 2006 at 10:24am
and from there it was obvious to go to this organization who is trying to
publicize and get people to call for action to US governments at all levels
to take action NOW.  Trust For America's Health (<--click) is always a good
organization and NOW they have a special website to activate
the public and government around this issue.  Please visit

I think maybe this organization is so good we should list them on our
main page to let our folks know how they can influence government
and public opinion.  We can send them some visitors and we can get
ideas from them on what we can do collectively!

WHAT DO YOU THINK?????
http://www.pandemicfluandyou.org/
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 25 2006 at 12:11pm
can i put that graphic on my blog? Did you create it?
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 25 2006 at 12:21pm
I got it from a branch website to http://www.pandemicfluandyou.org/

Go to http://capwiz.com/healthyam/ and near the bottom of the page click on "Web Sticker: Put our "Write-to-Congress" web sticker on YOUR web site!"

This site helps you contact elected officials, etc., and they seem to have done their homework to make it easy to influence the appropriate people.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 25 2006 at 5:48pm
thanks...neighbor from MA
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 25 2006 at 6:02pm
Originally posted by DAX COM DAX COM wrote:

Quote The federal government has a stockpile of millions of doses of anti-flu
devastating outbreak.

WHY?  That's my question -  why on God's Green earth isn't the DHS addressing this, giving it every priority to insure that the system works?

Quote The government won't say which states (only seven, mind you!)have been granted green status. The trust recently reported that 43 states and Washington, D.C., are either

WHY?  Only seven states have been granted green status?  43 others and D.C. are unprepared or only partially prepared?  And six are labeled RED for the love of God?   WHY?  What is going on here?  Are the so-called leaders and people is positions so irresponsible and inept that they cannot do what is necessary?

I get so ***sed when I read things like this!

Totally frustrating. Angry
Jhetta View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jhetta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 25 2006 at 6:59pm
I found info for California TFAH Report for 2005 Here 

Just Pick your State on the Map

Bioterrorism Preparedness

Learn About California's Bioterrorism Preparedness Used the red link to find the below info.
Read 2005 release
Read 2004 release
Read 2003 release

New TFAH Report Gives a 'D+' Grade to Federal Health Emergency Preparedness; California Receives 5 Out of 10 Preparedness Indicators

Report Finds Preparedness Efforts Must Be Accelerated and More Realistic

Contacts: Laura Segal (202) 223-9870 x 278 or lsegal@tfah.org or Michael Earls at (202) 223-9870 x 273 or mearls@tfah.org

Washington, D.C., December 6, 2005 - Trust for America's Health (TFAH) today released the third annual "Ready or Not? Protecting the Public's Health from Disease, Disasters, and Bioterrorism," which found that both federal and state preparedness for major health emergencies must be accelerated in order to adequately protect the American people.

In the two-part report, the federal government received a grade of D+ for post-9/11 public health emergency preparedness, and over half of states garnered a score of 5 or less out of 10 possible points for key indicators of health emergency preparedness, such as capabilities to test for chemical and biological threats and hospital surge capacity to care for patients in a mass emergency.

"We need to stop shrugging our shoulders and start rolling up our sleeves," said Lowell Weicker, Jr., TFAH Board President and former three-term U.S. Senator and Governor of Connecticut. "The response to Hurricane Katrina was a sharp indictment of America's emergency response capabilities. This report provides further evidence of the major gap between response 'plans' and 'realities.' We need to get real in our planning for health emergencies."

The grade of the federal government's performance was based on a survey of 20 leading public health experts, who evaluated 12 different aspects of health emergency preparedness. Among the results:

• The Strategic National Stockpile received a C+ grade.
  • Federal initiatives including the Cities Readiness Initiative, BioSurveillance activities, pandemic flu planning, and overall management of federal funds and programs received C- grades.
  • Coordination among federal agencies, the establishment of measurable goals and directions, BioWatch, and the federal health response to Hurricane Katrina received a grade of D.
  • The Smallpox Vaccination Initiative received a D-.

California was one of 16 states to receive 5 indicators. Delaware, South Carolina and Virginia scored the highest, achieving eight of ten possible indicators. Alabama, Alaska, Iowa and New Hampshire scored the lowest, achieving only two indicators.

Indicator California Number of States Receiving Points
A checkmark means the state received a point for that indicator
1 Achieved "green" status for Strategic National Stockpile Delivery   7
2 Has sufficient BSL-3 labs to meet bioterrorism preparedness needs as outlined in state plan 37
3 Has enough lab scientists to test for anthrax or plague 41 and D.C.
4 Has sufficient capabilities to respond to a chemical terrorism threat 10
5 Has a disease tracking system to collect and monitor data electronically via the Internet   27
6 Has plan or is part of state/local planning effort to care for patients at non-healthcare facilities   35
7 Has plans, incentives, or provisions to ensure continuity of care in the event of a major outbreak   2
8 Has an infection control professional available within 15 minutes on a 24 hour/7 day basis 35 and D.C.
9 Has worked with state or local health department to prioritize hospital workers' receipt of vaccine or antivirals   34 and D.C.
10 Has sufficient medical equipment and supplies for 10 additional patients requiring ventilation 29 and D.C.
Total 5  

The data for the public health indicators are from publicly available sources or public officials in 2005. The data for the hospital related indicators are based on a survey conducted in the summer of 2005 of over 1800 members of the Association of Professionals in Infection Control and Epidemiology (APIC), whose members are experts in infection prevention and serve a "watchdog" role for infectious disease issues in hospitals throughout the nation.

"Accelerated, immediate action must be taken to bridge the gap in our nation's preparedness no matter the threat," said Shelley A. Hearne, DrPH, Executive Director of TFAH. "The health community has worked tirelessly since 9/11 to make improvements, but serious vulnerabilities still remain. While there is no way to be 100 percent prepared, there are still basic achievable levels of preparedness we have yet to meet. Americans deserve - and must demand - better."

"Hospitals and health care workers are at the front lines of protecting the country from infectious diseases and bioterrorism," said Kathy L. Warye, Executive Director of APIC. "This report demonstrates that much more must be done to better equip and protect health care workers to prepare for major health emergencies."

TFAH's "Let's Get Real" agenda for accelerated preparedness includes:

• LEADERSHIP: TFAH calls for increased leadership and oversight of U.S. bioterrorism and public health preparedness. There needs to be a single, accountable official at the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services responsible for bioterrorism and public health preparedness.
  • ACCOUNTABILITY: It is inexcusable, four years after September 11, 2001, that there are no defined, standardized performance measures for bioterrorism preparedness from CDC or regular reports of progress and vulnerabilities to the American people and Congress. Steps must be taken immediately to establish clear performance standards, and increased measures must be taken to ensure state and local planning efforts match preparedness needs. HRSA grants must also be better targeted to help states prepare for health emergencies.
  • WORKING WITH THE PUBLIC: The public should be treated as more of a partner in preparedness planning. Anticipating the "real world" complications that will arise during an emergency event, planning must acknowledge that the media, general public, business community, and other audiences will not always conform to rigid planning procedures. The government should provide more consistent education and transparency to the public, so there will be greater understanding of roles and responsibilities during a difficult situation, such as during a vaccine shortage or quarantine situation. Heightened effort must also be taken to include the needs of vulnerable populations in emergency plans.
  • IMPROVING BASIC RESPONSE CAPABILITIES: Protecting the public's health requires having the tools, technology, training, and personnel to investigate and diagnose diseases, contain threats, and provide effective treatments. Surge capacity issues must be given a top priority and routine drills must be conducted to test preparedness progress and problems. Information technology systems, emergency communications systems, and laboratory and other equipment all need to be modernized to meet current technology.

TFAH's report was supported by grants from the Robert Wood Johnson Foundation (RWJF), Bauman Foundation, and the Beldon Fund. TFAH's report and state-by-state materials are accessible at: www.healthyamericans.org

Trust for America's Health is a non-profit, non-partisan organization dedicated to saving lives by protecting the health of every community and working to make disease prevention a national priority.

The Robert Wood Johnson Foundation, one of the supporters of this report, focuses on the pressing health and health care issues facing our country. As the nation's largest philanthropy devoted exclusively to improving the health and health care of all Americans, the Foundation works with a diverse group of organizations and individuals to identify solutions and achieve comprehensive, meaningful and timely change. For more than 30 years the Foundation has brought experience, commitment, and a rigorous, balanced approach to the problems that affect the health and health care of those it serves. Helping Americans lead healthier lives and get the care they need-the Foundation expects to make a difference in our lifetime. For more information, visit www.rwjf.org.

Jhetta View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jhetta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 25 2006 at 7:37pm

Nation Still Unprepared for Health Crisis

[February 1, 2006, AJHP News]

BETHESDA, MD, 13 January 2006 — While considerable progress has been made in improving America's health emergency preparedness in the past four years, the nation continues to be inadequately prepared to respond to a major health crisis, according to a study released in December 2005 by the nonprofit Trust for America's Health (TFAH).

Hurricane Katrina, the report noted, provided a sharp indictment of America's emergency-response capabilities as the gaps between plans and reality became strikingly evident.

"Parts of the public health system did not work, and while many did work as intended, those functions were often too limited and divorced from other response activities to match the real needs in a timely way," TFAH stated in its report Ready or Not? Protecting the Public's Health from Disease, Disasters, and Bioterrorism.

While federal officials have recently voiced concerns about a potential influenza pandemic, little has been done to ensure that state and local governments have adequate funding and resources to respond, according to the report.

Much more must be done to better equip health care workers to prepare for major health emergencies, TFAH urged.

"During catastrophes, ranging from a hurricane to a major disease outbreak to a bioterrorism attack, public health and health care professionals act as first responders, investigators, strategists, and medical care providers," the report's authors stated. "They must diagnose and contain the spread of disease and treat individuals who were injured or may have been exposed to infectious or harmful materials."

But, according to the report, hospitals in 15 states, including California, Florida, New York, Pennsylvania, and Texas, and the District of Columbia, have not sufficiently planned to care for a surge of extra patients by using nonhealth care facilities, such as community centers, sports arenas, or hotels.

TFAH found that hospitals in only two states—Rhode Island and South Dakota—have sufficient plans, incentives, or provisions to encourage health care workers to continue to come to work during a major infectious disease outbreak.

The report noted that in the days after Hurricane Katrina, more than 30% of the New Orleans Police Department did not report for duty, an indication that "planning must not only account for absences, but also seek to address worker concerns."

States should conduct and maintain a census of local health care professionals—current and retired—to help supplement their work force during emergencies, TFAH recommended.

According to the report, hospitals in 15 states lack sufficient capabilities to consistently and rapidly consult with infection control experts about possible or suspected disease outbreaks.

Hospitals in 16 states have not sufficiently prioritized distribution of vaccines or antiviral medications to hospital workers, the report stated.

Nearly half of states do not use national standards to track disease outbreak information.

Only seven states—one more since last year's TFAH report—are adequately prepared to distribute and administer materials from the Strategic National Stockpile (SNS)—a national cache of medications, vaccines, and supplies that can be deployed within 12 hours to areas struck by disasters, including bioterrorism.

New York City was deemed adequately prepared to distribute and administer materials from the SNS, the report stated, but New York state was not.

In a survey of 20 public health and bioterrorism-preparedness experts conducted by TFAH for its report, one respondent said, "In concept, the SNS is a critically valuable resource. In operation, the SNS is shrouded in mystery and the worst kind of bureaucracy."

The respondents gave the SNS a grade of C+.

Overall, the respondents gave the federal public health and bioterrorism performance a grade of D+.

"We need to stop shrugging our shoulders and start rolling up our sleeves," Lowell Weicker Jr., TFAH board president and a former U.S. senator and Connecticut governor, said in a statement. "We need to get real in our planning for health emergencies."

—Donna Young

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 25 2006 at 8:24pm
Thanks DAX COM - I posted our state's (Mississippi) in the Community Preparedness Forum.  We got 4 out of 10 (a D+) overall.  Boo hoo.  Cry
We've still got time, though, and I'm stepping up my e-mails.  I'm more
worried about individual preparedness, though, at this point. 
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 13 2006 at 5:36am
Thanks Jhetta,

If my kid ever turned in a report card like Illinois - no playstation for a month!  At least we scored green state status.
Jhetta View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jhetta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 13 2006 at 5:42am
Originally posted by Cruiser Cruiser wrote:

Thanks Jhetta,

If my kid ever turned in a report card like Illinois - no playstation for a month!  At least we scored green state status.

I agree... the sad thing is that it has been going on for years and only a few of us have noticed!
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 13 2006 at 8:00am
According to Trust for America the 7 green states are : DELAWARE, FLORIDA, ILINOIS, LOUISIANA, MISSOURI, TEXAS, AND VIRGINIA. Of course I live in Alabama and my state is not even close to being prepared.
Left Field View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Left Field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 13 2006 at 7:20pm

I don't even like the thought of this.  They are green, prepared, prepared for what?  Do you think for one minute that the green states have enough food stockpiled, water stored, tamiful (if it's any good), or resperators for the majority of the people in their state?  Doubt it very much.  They are prepared to take care of only the government workers who are close to whoever is running the state and some local governments.  Do you think the governor would give a puft about the mayor in wide-bend-in-the-road-berg?  This is a joke.

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 14 2006 at 4:04am
I live in a so-called "green" state (TX) and I can guarantee you that in my area, they are not ready.  In the city, they hired two bird flu staff (coordinator types) very recently.  I'm sure those staffers are still waiting for their office supplies from the stockroom.   Figure it will be a few months before they are up and really working.  (This is hoping they are really qualified and not political payback jobs.)
Fenwulfr View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fenwulfr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 14 2006 at 4:11pm
I asked Shawn McCalister (the DOH representative that put on the presentation for us last wednessday) about the "Green Status" we've been discussing on the board recently. She didn't know what I was talking about so I sent her the link to that USA Today article. She got back to me on it yesterday and so here's what she had to say. Included is her contact information, but I don't think she'd appreciate be innundated with phone calls.

Hello Corey,

It was a pleasure meeting you yesterday.  I appreciated the information that you brought along, especially the handouts for the group.

I reviewed the article and called my contacts with the WA State Dept of Health, and this "green, yellow, red" status that is referred to in the article has no correlation as to whether a state will receive ant-virals or other supplies from the Strategic National Stockpile (SNS). 

The Feds have asked states to do Pandemic Planning.  Future Dept. of Health and Human Services Grant funding may be awarded based on each states overall success towards developing their plans, but this is a separate matter from the SNS.  The SNS will be available to any state who requests it, depending upon availability (unless the resource has already been used by another jurisdiction). 

You may already have the following link; http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/12375868
But if you don't-- it's updated monthly, and does a great job showing the spread of H5N1 throughtout the world.

Good to meet you!

Shawn       

Shawn McCallister
Program Coordinator/Health Planner
Pierce County Dept. of Emergency Management
Desk: (253) 798-7542
Fax: (253) 798-2200

Direct Connect: 112*75*874
Email: smccal1@co.pierce.wa.us
Focusing on the obvious will lead to disaster. It's what you don't aniticipate that gets you killed.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 14 2006 at 5:07pm
The thread has slid off the main page and the data here is very important in knowing and understanding, at least at the time, the study was done, what the real situation was in each state to face a Pandemic.

http://www.rwjf.org/files/publications/ReadyorNot2005.pdf

I do want to keep this document up for download. I am seeing bits and pieces of it quoted and here and comments - but this is a link to the 80 or so page document which is pretty comprehensive.  It is very confusing that "Green Status" is being stated has nothing to do with the ability of a state to distribute supplies from the main stockpile.

Quoting this study :

Only seven states and two cities have achieved “green” status for the Strategic National Stockpile, which means being recognized by the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention as adequately prepared to administer and distribute vaccines and antidotes in the event an emergency
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 15 2006 at 6:26am
I found out I live in a green state (Illinois).   I e-mailed our county health department and got a very positive reply from the Kane County Emergency Response coordinator.  He informed me our county has achieved green status as well.  He said our county has had the avian flu on its radar for a few years now but more recently has begun more ground level prep planning.  He outlined many future roundtable events and has offered to provide presentations to any groups that are interested.  Encouraging.  I will see if I can get him to offer any insight into this supposed distribution grid.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic