Click to Translate to English Click to Translate to French  Click to Translate to Spanish  Click to Translate to German  Click to Translate to Italian  Click to Translate to Japanese  Click to Translate to Chinese Simplified  Click to Translate to Korean  Click to Translate to Arabic  Click to Translate to Russian  Click to Translate to Portuguese  Click to Translate to Myanmar (Burmese)

PANDEMIC ALERT LEVEL
Forum Home Forum Home > Pandemic Prepping Forums > General Prepping Tips
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Tracking the next pandemic: Avian Flu Talk

Water - Event Date: May 25 2006

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BasketCaseDiva Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Calendar Event: Water
    Posted: May 25 2006 at 8:03am

I'm sure this is posted in this forum, but have not located exactly what I need to know...so please bear with me. A little background about me...I have a hubby, five kids which includes two sets of twins.....a moose of a dog and two cats....now question.....we are trying to store emergency waters for everyone.....what is the best way to do this....containers, quantity, etc..? Should we store the bottled waters or can this idea work.....purchase FDA approved bags 55 gallon size place into heavy duty drum liner the 30 mil strength or would a drum work better then fill with water.  How long will the water last if we store in the drums now? Do we have to replace every few days, weeks? I appreciate any help with this matter. It's becoming very frustrating. Most disaster, etc plans we have seen suggest only storing for say a week or so, but with so many in this traveling circus we have to quite alot of water. We don't want to "wait till last minute" and hope theres enough water to be able to fill containers, etc.... We have looked at the mylar bags also, but we're trying to prepare and not go broke doing it either. Thanks again for all your help.

Attention: Traveling Circus...please keep hands inside car and do not feed the animals

www.basketcasedivas.com
Mikey View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mikey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 25 2006 at 8:23am

I've been buying a few cases of water every week. I also re-use 2 liter bottles for water and add 4 drops of bleach. I would suggest the 55 gallon water drums but we live in an apartment (just for a few more months... thank god.) and I don't know much about it.

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 25 2006 at 8:39am
Hi, and welcome aboard. If you scroll down on the first page, you'll see the section for priority preps, in it is the main section for water. You'll see a lot of suggestions for water.
A quick synopsis: You need a minimum of one gallon/person/per day for survival! Anything less, you start the dehydration process, which is fatal.

You need two gallons/per person/per day to include enough water for drinking, cooking and minimum cleanliness. What about toilets??????

Personally, I figure 5 gallons/person/day is more realistic since we normally use about 50!!! That would also take care of your pets. That's a whole lot of water!

7 x 5= 35 x 30 = 1050 gallons per month

I would suggest checking out the inflatable pools. I'm hoping you have a backyard. Walmart is running an advertisement on a 18' round pool for $297, which includes the pump, filter cartride, debris cover, ground cloth, ladder, maintenance kit and instructional video. That would give you 9629  gallons for a very reasonable cost.

I would also start saving up soda-pop bottles, rinse them well. Add 16 drops of regular, UNSCENTED bleach. Any treated water like this should be rotated about every six month. It hasn't gone bad, per se, just stale.

Hope this helps.

Feel free to aks any questions, keep reading, lots of great info here and a lgreat bunch of people.

Good luck.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 02 2006 at 1:15pm
I have moved some guttering and can now collect over 100 litres of rainwater in 12 hours of reasonable rainfall.
It will need some work to make it drinkable, less work to use it for washing and no work to pour it down the toilet.
For drinking water I have a growing stash of bottled water but for the rest I will use rain water- It always rains - especially in the winter and I feel that this would only get bad as a winter flu here in the UK .
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 02 2006 at 3:24pm
Web Ferret

I'm jealous!  Here is the Southwest Desert (west Texas) you can count on one hand how many days it's rained in a given year.  But I like your idea of a drum in the yard for flushing water.

K
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 02 2006 at 6:01pm
There are chemical toilets that need no water
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 03 2006 at 7:01pm
I was very concerned about this as well.   I bought one of those Brita
water dispensers for about $28 and a six pack of replacable filters for
about $29.  I recently thought about getting another for peace of mind but
guess what - the stores were out.

Each filter should last about 3 months depending upon the number of
 people using it.

I also bought a small wood burning stove that Lowes had as a floor display
for $145.   My plan is to boil rain water to kill any organism that live in it then run it through the Brita dispenser for drinking and cooking.  The stove
will double as a heating source in the house if necessary.

I also saved about 70 gallon sized wine bottles to fill from my county water
supply at the right time.   We will know when the right time is.  This way, when county water supply stops I will not be left high and dry.  I intend to
boil rain water for bathing and cleaning around the kitchen, pots, laundry,
etc.....

I also purchased a 240 gallon pool and cover to collect gutter runoff.  Some
pool shock should keep critters out.

Make sure you have a seperate supply of drinking water and cleaning water.   Drinking water is of utmost importance.

outsidethecamp View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote outsidethecamp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 09 2006 at 9:55pm
Where do you live?  Do you have your own well?

If so, I've got some ideas for you!

God help us all...
Peggy

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic