Click to Translate to English Click to Translate to French  Click to Translate to Spanish  Click to Translate to German  Click to Translate to Italian  Click to Translate to Japanese  Click to Translate to Chinese Simplified  Click to Translate to Korean  Click to Translate to Arabic  Click to Translate to Russian  Click to Translate to Portuguese  Click to Translate to Myanmar (Burmese)

PANDEMIC ALERT LEVEL
Forum Home Forum Home > Main Forums > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Tracking the next pandemic: Avian Flu Talk

washable cloth anti viral face mask

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PatinWa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: washable cloth anti viral face mask
    Posted: May 25 2006 at 10:33am
Just found a website that sells a  cloth face mask that has been tested
by a national lab and supposedly effectively filters to 1.0 microns.
It is made of state of the art- high tech nano hydrophobic materials
that wicks moisture away while filtering the air.
Is comfortable to wear for long periods.
Surgical style face mask.   Testing results from lab are absent.
It comes in two sizes, 4- 10,  and 10 to adult. 

link is    www.breathehealthy.net

These supposedly have an antiviral agent embedded in the cloth and can
be washed 100 times.
I like the idea of a cloth mask that can be washed.  It may be possible
to wear this over a N95 to enable re-use of the N95.
It cost $12.95 each.
I have absolutely nothing to do with this company, just thougt it was
a great find.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 25 2006 at 9:58pm
I'm leary about these. Anybody can make statements like these, with nothing to back it up. Which lab? What were the results? Etc, ETc
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 26 2006 at 4:42am
Patinwa.  "Hydropobic materials"?  Washable?  The two seem contradictory, as do washable and impregnated with anti viral material.  Having said that, I have bought some muslin that could be used to make washable masks to wear over the N 99 ones.  I hope never to have to use masks but one can't predict everything that might happen and I'm sure anything is better than nothing.  

Incidentally, acid apparently kills viurses.  Hence rather than soaking sheets for hangin over doorways in bleach (which would evaporate and become useless) I would soak them in vinegar.  Vinegar would also evaporate but would leave some acid residue which could help a bit, who knows.  Same for masks, I'd soak in vinegar or lemonjuice.  Beth
PatinWa View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PatinWa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 27 2006 at 8:36am
I emailed this company and asked to see the lab report.  They can make
this mask an N95 by adding another layer of filtration.  
They are now going to explore manufacturing issues.

Think what this means,  if they do have a N95  adjustable surgical style
masks that comes in two sizes,  4-10 years, and  10-adult.
That means we could have N95 masks for our children ages 4 - 10.
I think this company is worth keeping an eye on.

link        www.breathehealthy.net
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 27 2006 at 2:35pm
Originally posted by PatinWa PatinWa wrote:

I emailed this company and asked to see the lab report.  They can make
this mask an N95 by adding another layer of filtration.  
They are now going to explore manufacturing issues.

Think what this means,  if they do have a N95  adjustable surgical style
masks that comes in two sizes,  4-10 years, and  10-adult.
That means we could have N95 masks for our children ages 4 - 10.
I think this company is worth keeping an eye on.

link        www.breathehealthy.net

3M Particulate Respirator 8110S N95

3 M company makes N95 particle respirators for small faces. the mask is about 3/4 the size of a regular N95 mask. Lowes Home Improvemnet sells them here in the states. $17.95 for a box of 20. They are in the sanding area.

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 27 2006 at 3:00pm

I am very leary of their statements. My cooments of these statements are below.

WHY BREATHE HEALTHY™ MASKS

Regarding our masks (a surgical type unlike other surgical types), they have been tested by one of the nations leading labs

Why don't they state which lab and which nation? What kind of test did they do? They don't say the lab tested the filter to filter 1.0 microns. they say the lab tested the filter on some undisclosed test ( maybe a catch fire test for all we know) and also that the mask effectively filters 1.0 micron but they don;t state to what effeciency it does so. An N95 mask filters 95% at  0.3 microns. Notice the very lack of detail about anything.

and effectively filter 1.0 microns, which is well below the filtration needed for airborne effluents carrying bacteria and viruses resulting from sneezes and coughs (the primary means of flu transmission)

But virus's are much smaller than the water droplets.

and unlike other types, are comfortable to wear in warm or cold weather for extended periods of time. Most important, our masks are made with “state-of-the-art” hi-tech materials that include a “permanent” (up to 100 washings) nanotech/ hi-tech antibacterial/ antiviral agent embedded in the fibers to prevent the invasion and buildup of germs.

That doesn't mean it kills virus going through the cloth, just that it might kill virus clinging to the cloth.

Whereas this is a recent technological achievement, NIOSH who assigns ratings to masks, does not presently have the technical capability to test with live bacteria and viruses. Thus they have yet to rate this new technology against others.

Against other what?

However, the nation's leading independent lab who does have the capability to test live bacteria and viral penetration efficiencies,

then why isn't the effiency of this mask stated?

concluded masks utilizing these technical materials offer an additional level of protection not provided by masks that don't.

How much more level of protection? They say masks using this technology, why don't they say this mask specifically. Anything can be said to offer an additional levl of protection, however slight that might be. putting scotch tape across your mouth and breathing thru your nose offers an additional level of protection because of your nose hair. that doesn't mean it will keep you from getting sick.

We are the only Manufacturer who has developed Antibacterial Aroma Mists (they smell great) that are specially formulated to be used with our masks, hands and body to provide an even greater level of protection.

So what. So your supposed to breath their packaged VOC poisoning.

And when it comes to fit, our masks have both a top and bottom adjustment that provides a "perfect" fit for most.

So what if it doesn't work

You can easily tell when our mask is adjusted properly because you can feel the mask move with every breath being filtered.

A kid's costume mask will do that.

Let's face it, wearing a mask is not going to be the most fun you've ever had. However, many of our customers (who actually enjoy wearing our unique masks on a daily basis) consider them to be "The Most Wearer Friendly".

That doesn't mean it will filter virus's

Consequently, we (along with many of our customers) believe our multiple levels of germ protection, exceptional comfort fit and many other features make our masks the best and most practical choice for everyday use and protection. While we or any other manufacturers would be remiss in claiming that wearing our/their masks will fully protect you from the avian flu and mutations that may occur,

What do mutations have to do with it?

you can be assured that our masks offer a high level of technical protection that most masks do not.

Just means it is high tech, does mean it works. Having them assure me that it's high tech protection, doesn't say how efficient that protection is.

Just my opinion of course

chickenhawk View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chickenhawk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 27 2006 at 10:58pm
I've been wondering if you could put an N95 mask in a microwave to kill any virus on it (assuming that you have power to run the microwave)
imagination is more important than knowledge - albert einstein
PatinWa View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PatinWa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 28 2006 at 8:11am
What I have heard is NO because if there is any virus on the mask, the
fan on the microwave will be spewing that virus back into your home.

chickenhawk View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chickenhawk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 28 2006 at 10:37am
seems like you could put a plastic bag over the mask(s) to keep things from blowing off
imagination is more important than knowledge - albert einstein
PatinWa View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PatinWa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 28 2006 at 10:47am

If you are going to do this, I think a small brown  paper lunch bag would be
better than using plastic.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic