Click to Translate to English Click to Translate to French  Click to Translate to Spanish  Click to Translate to German  Click to Translate to Italian  Click to Translate to Japanese  Click to Translate to Chinese Simplified  Click to Translate to Korean  Click to Translate to Arabic  Click to Translate to Russian  Click to Translate to Portuguese  Click to Translate to Myanmar (Burmese)

PANDEMIC ALERT LEVEL
Forum Home Forum Home > Main Forums > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Now tracking the new emerging South Africa Omicron Variant

Do We Have A Recipe Section?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NawtyBits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Do We Have A Recipe Section?
    Posted: May 25 2006 at 7:34pm
????

We should have a separate forum for recipes.....

I know someone suggested this, but I don't see one"...

nawty
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 25 2006 at 8:42pm

There are some recipes around, but they're in different places.  A special site would be great.  I'm putting together a cook book for myself as I'm sure alot of people are.  I only have about 30 recipes so far (some from this forum, others off the net) and would be glad to share if we had a "place" to do it.  (Thanks NawtyBits - do you have to get approval to start a new forum?  Not sure how it works....)

NawtyBits View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NawtyBits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 25 2006 at 8:48pm
Not sure....I can do a sticky in the Wisconsin forum, but only Sassy and I frequent there....Tongue

Perhaps the MODS will see this and create a separate series for recipes....

Let's hope.  One of my concerns is that people are NOT storing what they eat, and have no idea how to make...whatever....

Having 500 pounds of wheat berries does you little good if you don't know how to use them....

nawty
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 25 2006 at 9:00pm
I posted a message asking Albert to please think about a seperate area for recipes but I guess he did not see it:(  I think it would be a great idea that way if you wanted to print recipes to go in a 3 ring binder or something they would all be in the same place.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 25 2006 at 9:18pm
Great idea.........
Since I have developed culinary dyslexia due to a bad experience with a rogue hand mixer, all help is gladly welcome. 
I've been running through these pages cutting and pasting everyone's helpful tidbits.  I'm at a loss to cook regular items not to mention a nice Spam Satay that I'd be glad to send over to Albert if he makes a page for us. 
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 25 2006 at 9:30pm

Welcome Penquin,

Hopefully Albert will give us a seperate section for recipes.  I would love to hear your recipes since the only thing I do with spam is spam and scalloped potatoes.  I don't have enough time to soak dry beans so getting some recipes of what to make out of them would be really great.  I just recently realized that when I have made dried beans that were always tough is you should not add cold water to the pot it should be hot does that tell you how many pots of dried beans my mother cooked LOL?

So dried bean recipes 101 would be most helpful to me Smile
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 25 2006 at 9:57pm
Loved your description, PenguinLOL
Perhaps if we do get a new site, we could break it down like a cookbook:
Appetizers/Snacks
Salads
Rice and Pasta Dishes
Beans
Other Main Dishes
Desserts
Breads
Beverages
Sauces
Canning
Helpful Cooking Tips
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 25 2006 at 10:15pm

Well Howdy Chloe and gettingready!!

I have to tell you how wonderful it is to find this site and you all.  I've been very concerned since the Oprah show but didn't know there were others out there that thought like me.  My friends, family, and people at work reeeeeeally don't get it and they reeeeeeally need to start soon.

Always feel like a complete whack-0 at the grocery, Costco, etc. too.  You should see the looks I get especially since I'm slightly penguin shaped anyway.  They must think I define eating disorder. 

We can solve our bean soaking issues.....haaaa...funny.  Really like the sections suggestion.....it will keep things a little organized when you're flippin' thru and wonderin' what's for dinner.  Bet the Bean section will be the thickest.

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 26 2006 at 12:47pm
Good idea, Gettingready! Different sections would be the way to go, otherwise we end up with an enormous long thread, through which you'd still have to weed, and with tons of Spam recipes, while you don't actually store Spam yourself (like me     ).

Instead of headings like a normal cookbook, we can make the titles more storage geared. Like:
Spam recipes
Ramen Noodle recipes
Bean recipes
Rice Recipes (I guess bean and rice could end up having double postings)
Bread recipes
Other grain recipes
Beverage
How to make sauces from scratch etc.

What do you think?
NawtyBits View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NawtyBits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 26 2006 at 1:13pm
Typical recipe books/files usually have more generic headers, which I think might work best.  Main Courses/Sides/Salads/Meats/Fish&Seafood/Game/Desserts/Sauces..etc then under each group I'd imagine each topic would be a recipe like Bloody Mary Rice....It would be easy to scroll down a topic to find the specific recipes you want or sound good...then each recipe could be commented on, or questions asked and the comments would be recipe specific...

That's the way Id do it if I were in charge....  Tongue

nawty
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 26 2006 at 1:25pm
That’s sound great, Nawty. When I wrote above I was thinking my headers would be the different threads, which could still end up being long, but I see now you’re talking a real forum for recipes, with subforums, and then each recipe would be a thread. That would be great, I hope that’s possible.

NawtyBits View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NawtyBits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 26 2006 at 2:09pm
ALbert????Big smile
Chrystle View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chrystle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 26 2006 at 2:31pm
Chrystle
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 26 2006 at 4:29pm
Yum, I'm getting hungry already and the 6 can chicken tortilla soup sounds like something I can handle.  I have two manual can openers both with low mileage. 

Agree that anything with 'Surprise' in it might be a curveball.  It takes me back to my sweet Mom's Rice Surprise with that secret ingredient.........L I V E R !   Bletch!!!

Agree it would be great to have the this cookbook formatted so my printer won't run for 26 hours and I end up with something resembling a New York phonebook.

Albert......your Spam Satay is on the grill now.......
Mayy View Drop Down
advanced Member
advanced Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mayy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 26 2006 at 5:23pm
now folks the Homeland Security Site says... we should eat the usual food we like and that it will be comforting to us.

So no more talk about Spam.   I feel ill typing the word.

Does anyone have an interesting boiled cookie recipe to share?
Karianne View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Karianne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 26 2006 at 5:51pm
A recipe site would be great.

I'm mostly prepping with the idea that there will be no electricity as I'm in hurricane country too. I was wondering about eggs. I know you can buy powdered ones but here is some substitutions you can use.

Kari
Chrystle View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chrystle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 26 2006 at 7:15pm
Chrystle
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 26 2006 at 7:47pm
Originally posted by Chrystle Chrystle wrote:

Please Oh Please Oh Please, can we have the recipe section?

Recipes recipes recipes
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 26 2006 at 8:47pm
Originally posted by Mayy Mayy wrote:

Does anyone have an interesting boiled cookie recipe to share?

This is one of my favorite recipes:

CHOCOLATE CHEWS

Boil together until dissolved:

1/2 cup milk
1/2 cup margerine
2 cups sugar
4 tbsp cocoa

Add:

4 cups rolled oats
1 cup coconut
1/4 cup nuts
vanilla

Drop from a spoon onto a cookie sheet. Cool.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 27 2006 at 12:01am
Heres a couple of ideas; My daughter-in-law is not as countrified as we are but loves my whompus bread. It started with the hunters who fried corn bread over a camp fire. You make cornbread but replace milk and eggs with stewed tomatoes (tomatoes & onions are needed.) It's great with fish or beans and a pretty side.
Also, we make homemade gater-aide by adding 1/2 teaspoon of salt to sweetened kool-aid (thanks to my medic war hero). May I suggest that if one is stocking up on Kool-Aid to buy pre-sweetened?
Best I can do as I seldom use recipes. Good luck!
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 27 2006 at 12:12am
NO COOKING

The only food that can be eaten out of a can - no fires and no food smells or starving desperados will come for your food.

It will be like a nuclear war - survive it.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 27 2006 at 1:24am
Kilt, Absolutely we will survive! Having had the flu in '68 I know what to have on had if needed. I'd be too sick to cook. I also know how to defend myself. After all I've got plenty of ammo, dog food  and if it becomes necessary can take the power saw and cut a tree over the path up the mountain. But until the day comes it's necessary to do that let's just keep cooking!
I apologize for getting off subject.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 27 2006 at 5:57am
I have a very simple country recipe, it got it's name from when we'd go down to the river to camp and just took basic food.
River Stew

1 lb ground beef (use lean)
1 onion
4 potatoes peeled and sliced
1can green bean
salt and pepper to taste
\
Put all ingredients in pot and just cover with water, put onto campfire and go fish. Always a hit (Especialy when the fish don't bite!
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 27 2006 at 8:29am
I'm not concerned with cooking smells if I'm cooking indoors with the doors and windows closed. Because of the cold climate I live in, the houses are well insulated and windows are double or triple paned.

Whenever I've been outside, I have never ever smelled any cooking coming from inside my neighbors' houses.
Albert View Drop Down
Admin
Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Albert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 27 2006 at 8:42am
We created the new recipes forum ... See "The Kitchen" in General Discussion...

Karianne View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Karianne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 27 2006 at 8:55am
Originally posted by Chrystle Chrystle wrote:

Karianne,
Thanks SO much Clap  for the link to how to subsitute something else for eggs in a recipe. I'm going to get some cornstarch and soy flour to add to my preps. How did you ever find this site?

I just type things into Google whenever I want to find something. I can't remember what I typed in. Probably, egg substitute or cooking without eggs.

Just now I was trying to find a way to make butter cause I know school kids do it. So I found directions on taking heavy or whipping cream and just shaking it in a jar but I'm trying to think of how to do it if you don't have refrigeration. You'd need refrigeration for the cream and then if you have refrigeration why not just buy butter, lol. So then I came across something that said canned whole evaporated milk could be used like whipping cream. Sorry I'm so dumb you guys but I don't like to cook. Does anybody know if this might work? I guess I could buy a can and try it.

The strange part is that I rarely use butter or margarine so why do I even care? I can use Crisco or an oil substitute like applesauce to cook with and I never spread butter on bread so why am I even looking it up? LOL  I am just curious I think.

Kari
Chrystle View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chrystle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 27 2006 at 9:03am
Chrystle
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 27 2006 at 9:19am
Here's a link to the recipe forum:

Bill 100 View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill 100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 27 2006 at 10:13am

Deadladies If things get really bad.

http://highlandway.com.au/shwroadk.htm

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 28 2006 at 10:37am
Bill 100, Since I plan to be shelling peas one recipe at your link is of interest. I know about road-kill as truck drivers have done this but never heard of Pea Wine! Could you tell me what measure (how much) is kgs? Thanks!
Bill 100 View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill 100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 28 2006 at 10:57am
I haven't had the pea wine, I will have to try that.

I couldn't help myself. A little humor is good.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 28 2006 at 4:39pm
Yes Bill 101, we need it right now. The kg must be cups? Because I seriously will make this stuff! Wondered if it might have reseratral like white grape wine? Just a thought.
Mayy View Drop Down
advanced Member
advanced Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mayy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 01 2006 at 9:08pm
Thank you Irene.

Kilt, you are very practical about surviving Smile
I will lower cookies down if they promise to go away... (no gun yet)
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic