Click to Translate to English Click to Translate to French  Click to Translate to Spanish  Click to Translate to German  Click to Translate to Italian  Click to Translate to Japanese  Click to Translate to Chinese Simplified  Click to Translate to Korean  Click to Translate to Arabic  Click to Translate to Russian  Click to Translate to Portuguese  Click to Translate to Myanmar (Burmese)

PANDEMIC ALERT LEVEL
Forum Home Forum Home > Main Forums > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Tracking the next pandemic: Avian Flu Talk

Why I think November

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Why I think November
    Posted: May 26 2006 at 8:24am

We are still in what I call the limited Brushfire stage of virus spread. We have seen multiple hops in the spread between humans, but outside of close families we don’t see it spreading very well. That is because it is still a deep chest infection. In the clusters we have seen, family members get the virus while tending the initial family member who became sick.  That person is usually in the late stages of illness and has a deep chest cough because of the infection deep in the lungs (lower respiratory tract). When it gains the gene to be able to replicate in the inside skin tissue of the nose and throat, THEN it will become a pandemic strain.

To do so, it needs to recombine with a flu virus that already has that capacity (i.e. pick up the gene for nose and throat infection). The likelyhood of that happening increases with a greater distribution of H3N1 or H1N1 or even H2N2 (if anybody can find it).

It is flu season south of the Equator right now, so if it becomes pandemic soon it will probably do so in southern Africa or southern South America (There is a far remote chance of Australia or New Zealand because of their low population.). As most of you know, I suspect that post Qinghai H5N1 is already in the Americas so we could see an outbreak in Argentina, Chili or Paraguay in the next few weeks.

I believe the far greater likelyhood will be an outbreak contingent with the flu season in the northern hemisphere. In that case, it will probably mutate with greater likelyhood in late November or December of this year.

http://www.avianflutalk.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=2149

DAX COM View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DAX COM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 26 2006 at 8:51am

It is as good a guess as any.  Me?  I expect it it any day now.

bigdaddy View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bigdaddy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 26 2006 at 9:07am
Latin America is a disaster waiting to happen when it comes to a pandemic.  When/if the BF breaks-out down there the U.S. will need mucho troops along our southern border to slow down the northern migration of the virus from illegals.  Border crossings, planes, trains,ships will need to be halted.  In my opinion this Administration will not find the courage to curtail that much commerce from the multi-national corps.  P.S. Off Topic// What the heck is going on in the Rayburn Building in Washington?  Freaky?
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 26 2006 at 9:36am
Bigdaddy, I very much doubt that only "illegals" will be infected with the flu. ANYONE, including American citizens returning home, can be infected. Heck, birds might be the carriers and they can't be stopped from entering the country.

It only takes one infected person or one infected bird to create the pandemic in your country.
bigdaddy View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bigdaddy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 26 2006 at 9:44am

People fleeing a Pandemic in Mexico would not go to Guatamala. 

purplepanther View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote purplepanther Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 26 2006 at 9:50am
I personally think it will be sooner than later
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 26 2006 at 10:00am
Joe, I'm surprised that I don't see more discussion on the fact that WHO or the docs took NOSE & THROAT swabs from the victims in Indonesia and confirmed H5N1 from that. Isn't that exactly what we're looking for in a pandemic strain or what am I missing?
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 26 2006 at 11:27am
It may be here at any time and any day(I don't trust the news or officals).....BUT can you imagine when the regular flu season starts?  How will you know which strain your dealing with.  I bet everything will be closed and shut down as a precaution.
Chrystle View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chrystle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 26 2006 at 11:58am
Chrystle
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 26 2006 at 12:20pm
Originally posted by JoeNeubarth JoeNeubarth wrote:

I believe the far greater likelyhood will be an
outbreak contingent with the flu season in the northern hemisphere. In
that case, it will probably mutate with greater likelyhood in late November
or December of this year.

Why, Joe?

Once it combines with the regular flu, which could happen now in the Southern hemisphere (Indonesia etc.), then it could go around the world as it is, whether we are in flu season or not, right?

Also the 1918 flu didn't seem to be bound to the flu season.   
peep View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 26 2006 at 12:23pm
Maybe is has gone through some type of reassortment already. I did a google search on Nidom and bird flu and came up with some interesting results. He seems to be credible. Plus this is not the first time he has gone public about H5N1!

JAKARTA, May 26 (Xinhua) -- Indonesian bird flu researcher CA Nidom MS said he was convinced that human-to-human bird flu infection had been taking place in Indonesia, official news agency Antara reported on Friday. "I am convinced human-to-human infection has been taking place because studies have found the development of H3N2 and H1N1 strains of bird flu virus which originated from H5N1 virus. Much more, fowl-to-human infection cannot yet be proven since the death of Iwan in Tangerang," he said on the sidelines of a seminar on bird flu in Surabaya, East Java, on Friday. Nidom, a researcher of the Tropical Disease Centre (TDC) of theUniversity of Airlangga (Unair)'s Medical School, made the remarks in response to a statement by a World Health Organization official that bird flu infection from human to human had been found in the village of Kubu Sembelang, Tanah Karo district, North Sumatra, Indonesia. According to Nidom, who is also a lecturer at the Unair's Medical School, the WHO official's statement was logical because the avian influenza was just like a common flu so that there was no need to be panicked. "I have disclosed this conclusion in Pontianak last April," he added. Seven of the nine dead victims were cluster victims who suffered from the same symptoms, WHO spokesman Peter Cordingley said in Manila on Thursday. But the WHO conclusion was denied by Health Minister Siti Fadila Supari. "The cluster bird flu case in Tana Karo cannot yet be said a human-to-human bird flu case because proof on the mutation of virus DNA which is identical with the H5N1 strain of virus that infected the nine victims has not yet been found. And there is no proof of epidemiological human-to-human infection," the minister said. As the disease expands all over the world, experts fear that the virus can mutate into a certain form that easily transmits from human to human, which will kill millions of people. Some 27 out of 33 provinces in Indonesia have been contracted with bird flu, while human fatality stands at 32 and infections at 43, according to the WHO. All over the world, the WHO has raised the confirmed human death toll from the H5N1 bird flu strain to 122, while the total number of confirmed human infections since the current outbreak began in 2003 has reached 216. Enditem

Editor: Liu Dan http://big5.xinhuanet.com/gate/big5/news.xinhuanet.com/english/2006-05/26/content_4605729.htm

bigdaddy View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bigdaddy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 26 2006 at 1:19pm

Chrystle:  The networks were reporting at the time shots heard in the garage of the Rayburn Building on Capitol Hill.  After hours of lock-downs and drama it looks to be a false alarm. Sorry

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 26 2006 at 1:42pm

Where would they be fleeing to, you can't flee to another country in a pandemic, it's there also.
2ifbyC View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 2ifbyC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 26 2006 at 1:49pm
Originally posted by bigdaddy bigdaddy wrote:

Sorry

ROTFLMAO!
Survival does have an 'I'!

Dodging 'canes on Florida's central Gulf Coast
bigdaddy View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bigdaddy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 26 2006 at 2:26pm

Why are we putting Reserve troops on the border Ruth?  They can't do much of anything now but  the Reserves under a state Govenor can kick booty in a national crisis.   Coincidence?  Not, They'll lock that baby down in a pandemic.   Mexico won't do sqwat,  we'll have to contain that threat.  It is what it is.

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 26 2006 at 4:41pm
Illegals know that they are entitled to emergency room services in the U.S.  That's why they'll be coming here.   And that will further overwhelm border state hospitals.
oknut View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oknut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 26 2006 at 4:46pm
Originally posted by TrailsEnd TrailsEnd wrote:

Illegals know that they are entitled to emergency room services in the U.S.  That's why they'll be coming here.   And that will further overwhelm border state hospitals.

Sadly, that's more than uninsured Americans can expect.
Mayy View Drop Down
advanced Member
advanced Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mayy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 26 2006 at 4:53pm
(it's me... May)   I had to have 4 letters in my name to join.

In Barry's book he mentioned that a doctor who wanted to start a new life
after taking care of injured railroad men for yrs, bought a cattle ranch next to the Mexican border and he and his wife promised eachother never to tell anyone he was a doctor. 

When the pandemic hit he took care of a few neighbors and word spread.
A few days later his wife called him outside...to see hundreds of people on the horizon, they seemed to cover it.  They poured across the border with nothing and they were dying.

They did what they could to help all the people, and it ruined them.  They went back to the city, where he was a doctor.

Are they afraid people will come pouring across?  I guess it's a case of not being able to take care of the world.  We have a hard enough time being
worried about family and neighbors having food.

Has anyone seen this phase chart?  How many charts are there?

Why is there is such a big difference between phase 3 and 4.  Just like what everyone has been saying...that they may not give a heads up?
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 26 2006 at 7:32pm
Originally posted by Ruth Ruth wrote:

Where would they be fleeing to, you can't flee to another country in a pandemic, it's there also.

Tell that to the millions that will be crossing the US border looking for food and medical care if the pandemic strikes.
DAX COM View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DAX COM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 26 2006 at 7:36pm
Originally posted by DISPENSER 4 HIR DISPENSER 4 HIR wrote:

Tell that to the millions that will be crossing the US border looking for food and medical care if the pandemic strikes.
You do realize that there are already "millions" crossing the border for food and medical care, don't you?
Chrystle View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chrystle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 26 2006 at 7:40pm
Chrystle
MelodyAtHome View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MelodyAtHome Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 26 2006 at 9:15pm
DAXcom...do you think that is why we are putting our military on the border? For the bird flu?
Melody
Emergency Preparedness 911
http://emergencypreparedness911.blogspot.com/
bigdaddy View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bigdaddy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 26 2006 at 10:04pm
Now that's funny Chrystle lol.  LOL
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 26 2006 at 10:05pm
Indonesia is in the Southern hemisphere and its flu season there right now and people are catching it H2H

The SH peak flu time is July so think again
DAX COM View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DAX COM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 26 2006 at 10:12pm
Originally posted by Melody4Avon Melody4Avon wrote:

DAXcom...do you think that is why we are putting our military on the border? For the bird flu?
I am not aware of any military units or personnel on the border.  I have heard a lot of talk, but as of today no legislation has been passed by both the Senate and the House of Representatives which is what is required for proposals to become law.  I was listening to NPR earlier and from what I gathered it'll be after the November elections before anything is passed and probably not even at that point.  Both the Senate and the House are taking the next 45 days off for vacation...and both sides are unwilling to comprimise on certain points in regard to the Senate proposal and the House Resolution 4437.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 26 2006 at 10:36pm
forget the border

Indonesia is SH and they are dying from the flu now and its flu season
MelodyAtHome View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MelodyAtHome Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 27 2006 at 7:36am
Kilt what is SH?
Melody
Emergency Preparedness 911
http://emergencypreparedness911.blogspot.com/
oknut View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oknut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 27 2006 at 3:55pm
Joe,

With the situation in Indonesia - H2H2H, earthquake and potential volcano eruption - are you still thinking November?

I'm stocked, scared and prepared to sweat through the summer if necessary, but wondering if we should get our chimney cleaned and start thinking firewood.

Oisanatta View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oisanatta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 27 2006 at 5:32pm
oknut,
I hope you have a filter or something on top of the chimney to keep out the bird poop, bird nest, etc. 
Thumbs Up

Re the Inodnesia situation, I am looking forward to Joe's response.  For that H2H2H to get to here, there's going to have to be some international traveling of that strain of the virus, and I am just not sure yet about that happening so quickly...e.g., a health care worker, or someone else getting in close contact to those folks who would later travel or pass it on to others who would travel.
The only thing worse than a brutal lie is the brutal truth. (M Twain) I waited patiently for the LORD; He turned to me and heard my cry. He lifted me out of the pit; He set my feet on a rock. Psalm40
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 27 2006 at 7:46pm
Originally posted by grace grace wrote:

Originally posted by JoeNeubarth JoeNeubarth wrote:

I believe the far greater likelyhood will be an
outbreak contingent with the flu season in the northern hemisphere. In
that case, it will probably mutate with greater likelyhood in late November
or December of this year.

Why, Joe?

Once it combines with the regular flu, which could happen now in the Southern hemisphere (Indonesia etc.), then it could go around the world as it is, whether we are in flu season or not, right?

Also the 1918 flu didn't seem to be bound to the flu season.   

It isn't the flu season per se that is the issue.  It is the availability of H3N2 in a host body that is the issue (H1N1 will do, too.).  I am certain that you agree that there will be a lot more H3N2 going around in flu season than now.  The more H3N2 there is in human bodies, the greater chance of the necessary mutation if H5N1 can also enter that body and replicate.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 27 2006 at 7:52pm
Originally posted by Femvet Femvet wrote:

Joe, I'm surprised that I don't see more discussion on the fact that WHO or the docs took NOSE & THROAT swabs from the victims in Indonesia and confirmed H5N1 from that. Isn't that exactly what we're looking for in a pandemic strain or what am I missing?

Though the virus can be present in the nose and throat swabs, it does not replicate in those tissues very well, YET.

In birds, it is an intestinal virus that replicates in the intestinal tissue.

In humans the tissue most like the birds intestinal tissue is our deep lung tissue.  Though I am certain that some H5N1 replication can and does take place in the nose and throat tissue of humans, most replication take place in the lungs at present.  That is the reason for the pneumonia.

Spanish Flu attacked both the upper and lower respiratory tract.  When H5N1 gains that capacity, the pandemic will be on.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 27 2006 at 7:58pm
Originally posted by oknut oknut wrote:

Joe,

With the situation in Indonesia - H2H2H, earthquake and potential volcano eruption - are you still thinking November?

I'm stocked, scared and prepared to sweat through the summer if necessary, but wondering if we should get our chimney cleaned and start thinking firewood.

The possibility of mutation in a human host increases with the spread of H5N1 via wild birds, AND with the availability of more H3N2 infected hosts.

In Fall, H5N1 will most definitely be in the lower 48 United States.  I suspect that it is already here, but it will surely be here in September - October.  Once here, it will have ample opportunity to infect humans who come in contact with birds or bird droppings or feathers fluttering down from the sky.

If those humans also have H3N2, .........
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 27 2006 at 8:15pm

Based on the graph I just saw on-line, it looks like we are heading up the steep side of an exponential curve relating to BF infections.  Based on this trend I would say that fall provides an opportunity for increased H2H.  That's just my hunch.  Since we don't have a crystal ball we had best be prepared. 

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 27 2006 at 8:19pm
Originally posted by DAX COM DAX COM wrote:

Originally posted by DISPENSER 4 HIR DISPENSER 4 HIR wrote:

You do realize that there are already "millions" crossing the border for food and medical care, don't you?

In a pandemic that number would swell by many millions.  I am doing my part.  I hope you are doing yours.  http://www.numbersusa.com/hottopic/2454.html
Mississipp Mama View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mississipp Mama Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 27 2006 at 8:51pm
  oknut, i would get my chimney cleaned early, and gather your wood early it needs time to dry.  These will be very essential things for the winter.  i was told you need about 5 cords of wood to get thur a winter season.  My chimney cleaner was out last week, and i asked him about putting in a new wood stove, he repiled if you decide you want a new stove get it before  the end of July, after that i will be booked solid.  These guys can get extremely busy.
bigdaddy View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bigdaddy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 27 2006 at 9:07pm

My wife has her nails done by this nice young lady thats originally from Vietnam.  Her imigration situation made it to were she had to go back to Vietnam for a minimum of three weeks then she was free to come back to the states.  Well, after doing her three weeks in Vietnam  the young lady comes back to our area (TX)  and does my wifes nails today.  My wife explained to me how bad the lady looks with swollen glands in her neck and yellow eyes (explained to me in med. terms but would botch it up lol).

She Apparently looked really bad.  The wife was talking about calling her contacts at the health dept. and I've NEVER heard her go there before. 
These types of forced long stays in a country known to have bird flu issues are not helpfull to say the least.  Confused 
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 28 2006 at 1:38am
SH is southern hemisphere - sorry

NH is Northern hemisphere

its flu season in the SH and people in Indonesia are getting it and bird flu and the problem comes if 1 person catches both at the same time
oknut View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oknut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 28 2006 at 3:23am
Thanks everyone.

We had the chimney cleaned when we bought this old house quite a few years ago, but have never used the fireplace or had the gas to it repaired. It has been low on the fix-it list. It's been a long list.

Yes, it has that screened in cap thingy on the roof - just another thing I know nothing about. Our friends next door have an expensive insert in their fireplace and burn wood each winter so when we had some trees cut down, we gave them the wood.

Guess I wasn't thinking beyond the initial wave and even that may not happen before fall/winter.
Bill 100 View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill 100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 28 2006 at 10:09am
My understanding is bird flu can resort with other diseases too, to gain the one protien that makes it easier to pass from human to human. Indonisia has a lot of diseases some that we have got rid of. I believe they worry about flu season because there are more people with the ability to make that resort.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic