Click to Translate to English Click to Translate to French  Click to Translate to Spanish  Click to Translate to German  Click to Translate to Italian  Click to Translate to Japanese  Click to Translate to Chinese Simplified  Click to Translate to Korean  Click to Translate to Arabic  Click to Translate to Russian  Click to Translate to Portuguese  Click to Translate to Myanmar (Burmese)

PANDEMIC ALERT LEVEL
Forum Home Forum Home > Main Forums > Latest News
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Tracking the next pandemic: Avian Flu Talk

Pitt Researcher Develop Bird Flu Vaccine

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Johnson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Pitt Researcher Develop Bird Flu Vaccine
    Posted: January 26 2006 at 3:50pm

University of Pittsburgh researchers have developed a vaccine that provides full protection against a highly lethal strain of avian influenza in mice and chickens. The animals that had been immunized by the vaccine all survived lethal doses of Vietnam strain of the bird flu virus, according to a study published today online in the Journal of Virology.

This vaccine – made from bits of bird flu DNA packaged inside a harmless cold virus — has the potential to be manufactured much more quickly and cheaply than the experimental vaccine being tested now by the federal government, said Dr. Andrea Gambotto, a professor of molecular genetics and biochemistry at Pitt and lead author of the study.

The vaccine also demonstrated the added advantage of activating a powerful arm of the immune system that the current vaccine doesn’t, Gambotto said.

That is important because it might mean the vaccine would provide protection against the rapidly evolving bird flu virus as it mutates into new strains.

Gambotto and other scientists at Pitt collaborated with the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention and the U.S. Department of Agriculture in this study.

They are seeking federal dollars to test the vaccine in people.

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/tribune-review/trib/pmupdate /s_417589.html

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 26 2006 at 3:59pm

Acccording to Michael Osterholm,  even if we had a vaccince, we could only produce enough of it to treat 300 million people worldwide - And that's after 10 years. 

The message is clear.  Vaccinces will not be available because of production capabilities, or lack thereof.  

Edited by Albert
Johnson View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Johnson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 26 2006 at 4:08pm

Albert this is not a traditional vaccine, prepared in fertilized chicken eggs.  Instead, this is a a recombinant vaccine grown in cell cultures, which are unlimited in supply.  Additionally, the speed to produce such a vaccine is greatly enhanced.  “It takes a little over a month for us to develop a recombinant vector vaccine compared to a minimum of several months via traditional methods,” according to Dr. Gambotto. “This capacity will be particularly invaluable if the virus begins to mutate rapidly, a phenomenon that often limits the ability of traditional vaccines to contain outbreaks of mutant strains.”

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 26 2006 at 4:17pm
I understand what you are sayng.  The only problem is that they will need to produce several hundred million doses to do any good.  That can take 10 years.  The easy part will be creating it.  Producing enough of it to do any good is a whole other story.  
walkdog View Drop Down
advanced Member
advanced Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote walkdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 26 2006 at 4:21pm
Yes don't we all love Government dollars whether it be for DoD contracts which I work on, grants which my sister lives and dies for being a drug researcher herself, etc.  At any rate, there will be every  lab in the country cashing in on this one.  I wish them all luck in their endevours.  You will see them come out of the woodwork now.  Labs you have never heard of from every University in the country.  At any rate, we will waste millions but if just one or a few of these labs produce solid results it will certainly be worth humanities life.
walkdog
Johnson View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Johnson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 26 2006 at 4:23pm

Production issues are greatly reduced with a recombinant vaccine.  The concerns about traditional vaccines and '10 years' to produce don't apply.  This is cutting edge technology to which Michael Osterholm's comments don't apply as he was speaking to traditional vaccines. 

The bottom line is that this is a big story and it will likely be fast tracked to human testing.

walkdog View Drop Down
advanced Member
advanced Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote walkdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 26 2006 at 4:26pm
Yes I work with cutting edge technologies in the missile industry.  We have very efficient streamlined and automated processes and technology and the Government spends 7 billion dollars a year purchasing it.  

Edited by walkdog
walkdog
koolsteve View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koolsteve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 26 2006 at 4:31pm
why isnt the president worried? this thing is huge. why wont he step in. Bush is an idiot.
ninjas rule
Flubird View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Flubird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 26 2006 at 4:35pm

This is potentially great news, I am hoping that it works and production can be accelerated for all of us.

walkdog View Drop Down
advanced Member
advanced Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote walkdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 26 2006 at 4:41pm

As the good old infectious disease doctor on Oprah stated the other day, Bush asked Congress for 7 billion dollars to combat the bird flu.  Congress authorized 3 billion dollars to the crisis.  I am right down the middle politically and I think they are ALL idiots but this is CRAZY.  Exercising partisan politics when we are talking about a future global pandemic is ABSURD.  This is one issue the children on the Hill should put aside there differences on and do what's right for America and the World.

walkdog
spread_fear View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spread_fear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 26 2006 at 5:19pm
I am not ready to buy it.  They mean to say that they have developed a vaccine for a current strain of bird flu that is supposedly not transmisible between humans.  What about when it mutates for H2H transmission?  What then?  Will this new mirical vaccine still work then?  I would be happy to accept this but the problem is MUTATION.  Lest we forget now.  Great, the vaccine works now.  What about THEN?  It seems like a start but what about the common flu?  This years flu shot isn't even effective against it.  Developement is fine but what about production for an ever evolving virus?  I know my name isn't on the top of that vaccine list.  The thought is nice but reality is usually easier said than done.  We will see when the time comes.  right?
meewee View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote meewee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 26 2006 at 6:03pm

Would all of you please read what that vaccine is for...did it not say that it protected mice and chickens? Well that is certainly good news for the mice and chickens!.....Make note to myself to by super Decon! At least we know of some guarenteed survivors!

Meewee

God Bless us all!
Corn View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Corn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 26 2006 at 8:15pm

it's  a chicken vaccine

now all they have to do is vaccinate over a billion wild birds, all the dogs and cats and ticks and don't forget fish.

Edited by Corn
wannago View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wannago Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 26 2006 at 11:13pm
I'm surprised there appears absolutely no optimism on this site.  What's with you guys?  Even if it isn't perfect, this vaccine is a step in the right direction. It's getting lots of news coverage which increases awareness and offers a small glimmer of hope.    

I am an optimist and so far this is looking better than masks!
wannago
koolsteve View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koolsteve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 27 2006 at 12:15am
once they realize it can be a pandemic.. the government will probobly fund a lot of this and boost production. I mean, theres a cure. and millions of people could die. These guys need money. The government has billions of doallrs.
Plus its not like they wouldonly have one factory. theyll probobly have like 100 of them going to pump out enoug-- hey i just got an idea, maybe they could make an airborne form of the vaccine and put it in the air or somthing. You know how they crop dust? well they could do that, but with the vaccine! eh. i dunno. its just an idea.

ninjas rule
Left Field View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Left Field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 27 2006 at 7:59am
well it kinda looks like there is a light at the end of the tunnel
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 27 2006 at 8:06am
Originally posted by Corn Corn wrote:

it's  a chicken vaccine

now all they have to do is vaccinate over a billion wild birds, all the dogs and cats and ticks and don't forget fish.

I really don,t think my 100 guppies would appreciate being stuck in the butt with a needle considering some of them are not even the size of the end of the needle

Tired View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tired Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 27 2006 at 8:08am
Originally posted by wannago wannago wrote:

I'm surprised there appears absolutely no optimism on this site.  What's with you guys?  Even if it isn't perfect, this vaccine is a step in the right direction. It's getting lots of news coverage which increases awareness and offers a small glimmer of hope.    

I am an optimist and so far this is looking better than masks!

I agree with you. Just because 99.99999% of the news regarding BF is very scary, and very doom and gloom, doesnt mean that absolutely NO good news can come about. Im also going to choose to look at this as good news!!

Better to be safe than sorry....
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 27 2006 at 8:11am

ok now on a more serious not to this post...how long will it take them to get enough of this vaccine made to vaccinate all of the chickens...

Remember...from our own perspective..analogy:..bird flu goes H2H, it will take 6 months to a year to make a vaccine(thats if all the sceintist are not dead from the flu already) and then it will still take at least a year for them to produce enough to cover one tenth of the worlds population..

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 27 2006 at 8:12am

Vietnam strain of the bird flu ...

it has mutated twice since vietnam..once in China and again in Turkey..I always hate being the bearer of bad tidings

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 27 2006 at 8:13am

Wannago,  Acutally, I'm quite optimistic about our final outcome.  I'm a firm believer in "hope".  However, in the event that they run behind in getting the vaccine to us, then we can rely on the preps that we are doing today. 

As I have said before, I believe that our human resilincy will eradicate this in 12 months.  Simply, the human race is about to be backed into a corner as a whole - God help any Superflu that does that to us.     

Either way, the Superflu will sweep the globe in 6 months and it will be a long year. 

Johnson View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Johnson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 27 2006 at 9:20am

To those that are considering this an "animal vaccine".  This vaccine is designed for humans.  It's simply being tested on animals.  The following is another, more detailed, article regarding the study:

New Bird Flu Vaccine Is 100 Percent Effective in Animal Tests

By Thomas H. Maugh II, Times Staff Writer

Pennsylvania researchers have produced a bird flu vaccine made from a genetically engineered human cold virus and shown that it protected 100 percent of vaccinated mice and chickens.

While production of a conventional flu vaccine requires months of work and large numbers of fertilized chicken eggs, the researchers reported Thursday that they prepared their vaccine in only 36 days, growing it in a laboratory dish.

The ability to produce a new vaccine so quickly could give public health officials a powerful new tool to combat the H5N1 bird flu virus if it should mutate and begin infecting humans widely.

The team is working with the Food and Drug Administration to begin human tests of the vaccine, said Dr. Andrea Gambotto of the University of Pittsburgh Medical Center, who led the team. He said those trials could begin within weeks.

He said the vaccine should be equally effective in humans because it is based on a human virus.

Gambotto's research, conducted in conjunction with scientists from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, is scheduled to be published in the Feb. 15 issue of the Journal of Virology and was made available early online.

The Pittsburgh team worked with a human cold virus, called an adenovirus, that had been stripped of the genes required for it to cause a respiratory infection.

Using genetic data from the CDC, they constructed the gene for a bird flu protein called hemagglutinin in the laboratory and added it to the adenovirus. The hemagglutinin protein allows the bird flu virus to bind to and enter cells that it infects.

The whole process of producing the vaccine took 36 days from the time the researchers received the DNA sequence information, Gambotto said.

Mice injected with the vaccine were 100 percent protected against the bird flu virus, the team reported, while those injected only with an unaltered adenovirus all died within a few days of being exposed to the bird flu virus.

Studying the mice, the team found that the vaccine produced two types of immunity -- antibodies that block the hemagglutinin and prevent it from binding to cells, and T-cells that attack the invading virus.

"This means that this recombinant vaccine can stimulate several lines of defense against the H5N1 virus, giving it greater therapeutic value," said microbiologist Simon Barratt-Boyes of the University of Pittsburgh Graduate School of Public Health and a member of the team.

"More importantly, it suggests that even if H5N1 mutates, the vaccine is still likely to be effective against it," he said.

When the vaccine was given to chickens as a mist administered through the nose, about half the birds were protected from the flu. But when they were injected with the vaccine, they were 100 percent protected.

"This is a very potent vaccine," Gambotto said. "The results of this animal trial are very promising."

The team is not sure why the intranasal administration was not as protective, he added.

So far, the bird flu virus has infected mostly birds, although 152 humans have contracted it and more than 80 have died, according to the World Health Organization. Experts fear, however, that the virus will mutate slightly, allowing it to infect humans more easily and leading to a pandemic.

The virus originated in southeast Asia but has now spread to other areas, including Turkey, Siberia and Kazakhstan.

Angel View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Angel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 27 2006 at 1:34pm

I live 45 miles south of Pittsburgh.  This evenings paper is talking about the vaccine.  It states they need $2 million to begin testing the safety of the vaccine on people.  They will know next week if they received the funding to begin preliminary clinical trials on 72 volunteers.    They said the vaccine is approved for widespread use in poultry and other birds to create a barrier to prevent the virus from spreading to humans.  The article is in the Valley Independent newspaper.   

Angel
Johnson View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Johnson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 27 2006 at 2:27pm

It's good news, and they should begin using the vaccine on poultry...pronto.  As soon as it' been approved for humans, I think we'll see a very quick rampup in production.  With a recombinant vaccine, production "issues" should be greatly reduced.  The differences between this and traditional production methods is like the difference between a slingshot and a cruise missle.

The other, and equally, exiting part of this vaccine, is that it's 100% effective verses something much lower with a traditional vaccine.  The effectiveness would not be expected to diminish in humans as the vaccine is made from a genetically engineered human cold virus. 

Angel View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Angel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 28 2006 at 6:16am
It is great that they are working on a vaccine.  The downfall I see from it is the news are reporting it so all of the people I have been trying to are saying "See they came through and found a cure now you don't need to worry!"  I think the news is giving the people 'who do are not updated on everything about bird flu' a sense of everything is okay.  They do not see if this vaccine works but there is a pandemic it would be mass choas  of people in lines to get it.  Also, during the Swine Flu vaccine my husband and I chose not to get it because of the possible side effects.
Angel
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 28 2006 at 7:06am

READ BETWEEN THE LINES; there is alot of information in there other then just producing a vaccine...first are they sure that the H5N1 will mutate with this adenovirus...and second of all..

Using genetic data from the CDC, they constructed the gene for a bird flu protein called hemagglutinin in the laboratory and added it to the adenovirus. The hemagglutinin protein allows the bird flu virus to bind to and enter cells that it infects.

So they have created H2H bird flu

and

from a genetically engineered human cold virus

this mutates each year also..so they are using last year flu bug and not this years..so if avain flu goes H2h this year..this vaccine would not be good...ok correct me if I am wrong..always hated the false negatives

Edited by muskrat
Angel View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Angel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 28 2006 at 2:27pm
Pittsburgh vaccine:  I read in todays newpaper that the vaccine will take about four to six months to produce a clinical grade and then be tested on 75 volunteers.  The traid could produce results within a year!  We do not have that much time.
Angel
Corn View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Corn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 28 2006 at 6:35pm
right now you can't even get regular flu vaccine and runnung tight on Pnumonia. Don't count on a cure to save you, count on yourself.
tradingthemoves View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tradingthemoves Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 28 2006 at 7:21pm

One of the US biotech companies developing a bird flu vaccine and rapid vaccine manufacturing tehnology is Novavax.

Novavax has collaborative agreements with the National Institutes of Health for the development of AIDS vaccine and an avian flu vaccine to prevent a pandemic outbreak; National Cancer Institute to develop anticancer vaccines for the treatment of melanoma; NIAID, Walter Reed Army Institute for Research, and GlaxoSmithKline Pharmaceuticals for the development of vaccines to prevent hepatitis caused by Hepatitis E virus; and with Wave Biotech LLC to develop pandemic influenza vaccine production technologies.

Here is the overview of Novavax and some bird flu links you may find useful.

http://www.tradingthemoves.com/marketview.htm

dugang View Drop Down
advanced Member
advanced Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dugang Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 28 2006 at 9:06pm

I have not read the original article, and thus what I say has to be taken with caution. However, my understanding it that the general techniques used to produce this vaccine will likely be useful in producing a vaccine for humans. It is routine to use animal models first.

Moreover, the techniques involve cell culture which is clearly the way to go. It will allow massive production in a short time. Not the 10 year frame that Dr. Ostrholm discussed. I am quite excited about this and believe and hope that this may be a fundamental breakthrough.

I am also continuing to prepare. Hope is not a plan.

swankyc View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote swankyc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 28 2006 at 9:07pm

Originally posted by koolsteve koolsteve wrote:

why isnt the president worried? this thing is huge. why wont he step in. Bush is an idiot.

Uhh, before you go spouting off at the mouth, go look up what president Bush is doing. 

It's better to have people think you are a fool than to open your mouth and remove all doubt.

I'm not afraid, I'm paranoid. Dont talk too loud, they are listening.
kel0727 View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kel0727 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 28 2006 at 9:12pm
Yes this is true and the company that will manufacture the vaccine is a $4.00 stock company called novavax www..novavax.com "nvax" They can make an exact copy of the virus strain and manufacture "as much as is needed" within 60 days! WOW!! Monday is investment day and we'll be off to the races!!
don't believe the news media, they are all liberal democrats!
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 28 2006 at 9:16pm
Swanky, you crossed the line with that one.  Back off the attack mode.  Koolsteve is 14.  Educate him, don't berate.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 28 2006 at 9:17pm

Four dollar stocks are four dollars for a reason.

spread_fear View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spread_fear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 29 2006 at 7:08am
I am sensing a lot of negativity on here.  Lets look once again at the big picture.  Human testing.  This spells disaster.  Not everyone will process an experimental vaccine the same way and we aren't chickens.  They are using genetically engineered cold viruses?  Uh, did anyone see Jurassic Park?  We are not getting a garantee untill we have seen live fire results.  The problem continues to go on with the mutation.  This is a virus we are talking about.  It can mutate in hours for all we know.  The fact is, none of us are biologists or virologists.  They could tell us anything and have people believe it.  INFORMATION CONTROL.  If they can't shut us down they will shut us up.  This is a political nightmare and the Fat Cats are clawing desperately trying to fix everything before it goes ka-plow in thier faces.  The situation must be worsening every hour or we wouldn't hear about it at all.  Dr. Ostreholm made things complicated for the political regime and the are starting to flounder around about it.  I also noticed after I mentioned about the missing posts, this guy Johnson stepped in with wonderful news about our savior vaccine from the Journal of Virology news letter.  Its called a Counter Strike.  Its what happens when they attack us and we regroup.  Before a retaliation can be made they attack again from a different platform.  However, instead of bullets, they are using words.  They are going to bombard us with the negativity and mis-information to confuse us and turn us against each other.  It has already started.  I am going to do my best to keep morall high and intellectually focused.  For KoolSteve, Ignore swanky.  He is trying to get the best of you and you are better than that.  Swanky is not nice for picking you out.  I now have reason to suspect swanky as part of the conspiricy.  I also am suspitious of Johnson.  If you dont' like the comments I have made come to Concord N.H. and look me up.  Then you can say it to my face and you won't like me after.  Everyone remember thier 1st ammendment right to freedom of speech and speak as you please.  I come to this site for the information and the support.  I will not tolerate negativity.  Back on track with the vaccine, I am not counting on it untill I see results with my own two eyes.  For all we know this could be fuel for the fire.  The bird flu isn't a lab test.  Real people are suffering and dying everyday because of it.  The pain is real.  The DEATH is real.  I don't care if the are Arabs, asians or not.  They are real people facing a real disease and so are we.  There is no room for ego here because we are facing a serious threat to ALL of us.  Some piece of paper from some medicine book doesn't make it all go away.  Mother nature has made a mockery of our great nation and all of its power this year.Who is to say she won't back hand us once again and laugh at our petty efforts to curb this flu.  I think its the calm before the storm and throwing a security blanket down won't save you.  I will feel some relief when I am in line to get the shot.  Then I will fell a sense the the government has put some urgency on the situation and are trying to help us.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 29 2006 at 7:13am

kel0727, go pump your stock somewhere else.  The market will collapse within 14 days after it begins and you will lose everything.  Go back to Ragingbull.com. 

He's trying to get the price to increase by getting the word out.  Don't fall for it.   

The stock market is a 100% losing venture.  Stay away from it.  The market will collapse too fast and you will never have a chance to get your money out in time.  Even taking a short position is a very bad idea.  

Edited by Albert
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 29 2006 at 9:40am
Bird Flu Wake-Up Call

“Developing a vaccine against H5N1 is like targeting a
clay pigeon. You have to shoot ahead of the target to
allow the bullet and clay to intersect. Unfortunately
H5N1 is a pigeon that does random, sudden 90 degree
turns. It is the ultimate moving target.

The time to develop and manufacture a global vaccine
is six to eight months. By that time, the avian flu virus will
likely have mutated into a form that is immune to the
vaccine.”

----------

Evololutionary Biology - insights

“The model does not aim to predict the emergence of
new strains of influenza, but it does suggest that a
short-lived general immunity to the virus might affect
the virus's evolution.”

“We therefore inferred that there must be some other
form of interaction between strains happening in the
population,” he said. “The best fit to genetic data
was obtained when a secondary, non-specific immune
response was included in the model, on top of the
normal adaptive immune response which recognizes
individual virus strains.

This secondary response gives a person complete
protection against nearly all variants of the
influenza virus, but only for a short period of time.
This kind of protection, said Ferguson, would last
only for perhaps weeks after infection, after which it
would fade, rendering a person vulnerable to
reinfection with a different viral strain."

http://edinburghnews.scotsman.com/opinion.cfm?
id=142622006 ]http://http://edinburghnews.scotsman.com/
opinion.cfm?id=142622006

Edited by Rick
Dave View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 29 2006 at 10:43am

Interesting comment from the Effect Measure Blog on this subject.  Too large to paste here, so here is the link.

Quick vaccine cycle follow-up

http://effectmeasure.blogspot.com/

Corn View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Corn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 29 2006 at 8:02pm

the vaccine was fast track tested and manufacturers released of liability, By the time you wake up growing feathers from your back and wings.... the company  will already have their $$.  Lets test it on the manufacturers and their children and lets see how many step forward.

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 29 2006 at 8:25pm
Sounds like a plan to me Corn.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 30 2006 at 4:35pm
Just an FYI on Bush, he requested 7 billion stricly for research and development of a vaccine for this; he was granted 3.  Cut the guy some slack, he's dealing with terrorism, the downfall of the family and our country in general, and now this - he's a strong leader, and I'm sure we won't have to worry about an intern  under his desk while our country is in termoil. 
merrittjohn View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote merrittjohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 31 2006 at 5:31am
I think a naked DNA vaccine is our very best and frankly only hope of being able to protect folks in a timely manner.  I hope this is put on a very fast track!  Bioject (small biotec company)  tested a needleless injection device (Biojector 2000) with naked DNA viruses years ago but I have no idea where it ever went.  With the recent news out of Iraq I hope this works!  I have held off loading on up on supplies till the first sign of possible H2H.....  I think we're there.... Costco here I come, John.
willtolive
Doodlebug View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Doodlebug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 03 2006 at 1:08pm
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic