Click to Translate to English Click to Translate to French  Click to Translate to Spanish  Click to Translate to German  Click to Translate to Italian  Click to Translate to Japanese  Click to Translate to Chinese Simplified  Click to Translate to Korean  Click to Translate to Arabic  Click to Translate to Russian  Click to Translate to Portuguese  Click to Translate to Myanmar (Burmese)

PANDEMIC ALERT LEVEL
Forum Home Forum Home > Main Forums > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Now tracking the new emerging South Africa Omicron Variant

Money is only one tool...

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Money is only one tool...
    Posted: May 26 2006 at 11:16pm

Money is only one tool in creating a larger back stock of necessary supplies. Often the things we use can be used in more than one way. And much can be gotten for free or a fraction of the cost of buying "ready made." Perhaps sharing ideas will save $$$ and I like to spend what little money I have twice! Anyone interested in multiplying our wealth by sharing ideas?
Examples:
Buying fewer products helps in having more where it's needed. If I run out of deodorant I know that Milk of Magnesia can be used and really is better and safer than my smell good stuff and a bottle last close to forever. Raising a bunch of children I had to be very penny conscious and thus used only two products to clean everything in the house. Washing powders and bleach. I also made some liquid laundry detergent from fats saved from work and made my own soap. Times are better. Now I buy dish detergent which doubles as a quick hand soap and have used it to do laundry and even shampoo (I like the Lavender scented) so rather than buy 50 bottles of shampoo I opted to buy extra dish liquid. Dish detergent has also worked better at killing fleas on my dogs than the stuff they sell for that purpose. Lavender and Pine scent (Pine-Sol) both helps repel fleas.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 26 2006 at 11:21pm
Whiskey, cigarettes, beer. that will make a fortune if the shops run dry with nobody to stock the shelves

Forget shares - the market will crash - then after is the time to buy

Forget real estate - all the houses and farms will be owned by corpses

Petrol Booze and smokes will be worth a kings ransom
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 26 2006 at 11:40pm
Let's prevent as much waste as possible; Have you ever driven along a road and saw fruit rotting on trees? I have and it bothers me a great deal. I've decided to approach the land owners and ask to gather it for them perhaps on half. I don't need it for myself but that would be one more thing I could share with a neighbor in a time of need. And there are a lot of wild delicious fruit and nuts. My daddy used to make Blackberry wine and kept it in the loft to use as medicine.
Scotty View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scotty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 27 2006 at 1:38am
Kilt: I must agree. These things will be extremely valuable and very easily traded in almost any locality. My question then is this.

What form of wealth will you require in return, and why?
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 27 2006 at 2:36am
well

food petrol medicines masks

it depends what I need.

The shops will be bare and I have food but I may need something else - who knows.

Perhaps I need something I have not anticipated - like bargaining power with an aggessor who knows?

Money will be useless with nothing to buy. There will be empty houses everywhere so real estate will be worthless.
July View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote July Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 27 2006 at 7:02am
If I run out of deodorant I know that Milk of Magnesia can be used and really is better and safer than my smell good stuff and a bottle last close to forever

Rubbing alcohol is a great deodorant as well. Was recomended by doc once when skin rashes appeared from deod.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 27 2006 at 7:12am
You can use baking soda as toothpaste.  You just wet your toothbrush and dip it in the baking soda.  I think it is pretty cheap and it lasts forever.

When I was a child and money was tight, my mom would have us brush with baking soda. 
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 27 2006 at 7:30am

Maysday, Great idea!!! Another member recommended a site which has a lot of $-saving ideas: www.hillbillyhousewife.com . Scroll down the front page until you see the convenience foods, click on that, there is a whole bunch of info on making your own rice and pasta mixes for a fraction, also specialty coffee's and teas, lots more, all kinds of great stuff. She also has a section on cooking with storage foods. I've already made some of them and so far, everything has been healthy, filling and TASTY.

By the way, I will have to try the flea treatment. I have 13 cats and it's an on-going battle and I just cannot afford Frontline and the fle-collars don't work. Do you just rub it in? Any danger if they lick the fur?

Karianne View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Karianne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 27 2006 at 7:51am

I really like the idea of using everything twice. I'll probably come up with some ideas but right now I'm tired and drawing a blank. It's a good mental exercise to look at something you use and say how could I use this another way?

I have been saving larger containers. Like the ones you get a salad in at Wendy's or soup in from the Chinese restaurant or cottage cheese containers. During a hurricane last year, I noticed that we were wasting water washing things like bowls to mix things in.

I would also cut paper towels in half or fourths to save on those.

Kari
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 27 2006 at 8:37am
Femvet, I have 5 rescued cats. I was once told by a vet that a few drops of Pine-Sol in the cats bathwater helps reduce fleas. It works for me. Cats are very sensitive and there is so much you can't use. I don't do the flea collars since I came in onc day and found my cat hanging from a lace curtain in knots after getting caught in it. Might it be misted from a spray bottle as well? After spending 3 weeks trapping them to keep them from being killed I cured severe eye infections with left over liquid antibiotics prescribed for an infant grandson. My vet said I did really good with that. I guess I think in terms of preventing waste.

I have used Sevin dust and that can be used for many things too.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 27 2006 at 8:49am

Toilet tissue can also be used in place of facial tissue. And before  facial tissue came along we had handkerchiefs, which were  washed. Recycling is very important. Save $$$ and the landfills. Any old soft absorbent cotton (worn sheets?) can be cut into handkerchief size pieces and washed or disposed of. Instead of buying spray bottles to put clorine water in(or other), I rinse and label bottles I bought spray cleaners in (like Windex).

And instead of that product I could have used Vinegar and water for glass and surface cleaning! Research Vinegar. It is truly remarkable. I once read a story where terminally ill children greatly improved and gained weight after using vinegar in humidifiers.
Penham View Drop Down
Chief Moderator
Chief Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Penham Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 27 2006 at 9:22am
I always use shampoo for refilling hand soap pumps and for washing dishes, it works great! I can usually get shampoo free using double coupons at the grocery store so I use it for alot of things.
July View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote July Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 27 2006 at 10:28am
Originally posted by Femvet Femvet wrote:

Maysday, Great idea!!! Another member recommended a site which has a lot of $-saving ideas: www.hillbillyhousewife.com .

has budget saving ideas
Scotty View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scotty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 27 2006 at 10:47am
Kilt: Good answer. You had me worried for a minute.
Pegasus View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pegasus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 27 2006 at 11:29am
 Great ideas from everyone.  To expand on Angies idea, you can use peroxide with your baking soda to kill germs and whiten teeth too (same active ingredients in those 'specialty' toothpastes for a fraction of the cost.).  For deodorant you can use a mix of baking soda and cornstarch powder  to deodorize and keep you dry.  Sift it if you want a finer powder.  I have stocked up on some inexpensive items that many who do not prepare won't have handy... chewing gum, fruit snacks, hard candy/lollypops,  those little boxes of crayons your kids get FREE at some restaurants, mini-bottles of bubbles (often sold for weddings - these are also great if you are standing in a long line at the fair or an amusement park), sample lotions/products in the mail or at stores.  What stressed mom wouldn't want a little pampering - while her now happy kids blow bubbles?  Even in a crisis the slightest 'comfort' may provide the biggest morale boost.  Small bottles of inexpensive spices - think 1001 ways to make rice & beans taste interesting, or a couple pouches of tuna (easy to open and last about 2 years) may be just your ticket.  Or maybe a couple flashlights from the dollar store with batteries... 
     As others have mentioned, what you need/barter with will depend on your situation at the time.  You don't have to buy a bunch of stuff you would never, ever use.  Just pick up a few extras of your family favorites.  While you can't prepare for every situation, having a good variety of basics will give you some bargaining ability. 
    By the way, white vinegar is also great for dandruff.  Use it as a rinse after shampooing.  No need to rinse it out because the smell quickly dissipates
     "We do not know the true value of moments until they have undergone the test of memory."   unknown author
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 27 2006 at 11:44am
Many great ideas! Thanks to all. I can a lot and have found the canning jars for .25 each at a local thrift store. There were cases that did not appear to have ever been used. I can clean any jar and this has enabled me to get all I need. The replacement lids run about $1.29 here and the rings are used over and over.
crystal View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote crystal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 27 2006 at 12:48pm
A bottle of Dr. Bonner's liquid soap is not only biodegradeable but you can use it for just about anything for cleaning including hair, floors, skin, toilets, whatever. Maysday - Vinegar is a great cleaner - I always use it on my wood floors.
peace
Ordog View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ordog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 27 2006 at 1:19pm
Wrong - you can make a fortune in stocks. Sell short!!!
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 27 2006 at 5:04pm
Comfort foods for children are important. In Jan. when I heard the newest evidence that (sialic acid) found in Elderberry killed 99% of flu virus (on canine cells) of 8 types including BF I search other place's it might be found. I have worked to incorporate some of these items into whatever plan I have. Here are some links I found useful that I saved in my notes.
N-acetylneuraminic acid (sialic acid) content in common foods.Check here
http://www.pnas.org/cgi/content/full/2131556100/DC2
Mothers milk is the highest
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?cmd=Retrieve&db=PubMed&list_uids=9389234&dopt=Abstract

Goat milk should be very high in
sialic acid. I bought Evaporated Goat Milk at a local Wal-Mart to use to make instant puddings (I have collected a box of all flavors). Here is a very important point I learned somewhere- I don't know where now. I need rest right now.  But all traces of the natural sugars are passed through the body in 8 hours or less. So this could be a comforting food but I would wish them to eat pudding before leaving the house to have an ounce of protection. Goat milk is expensive but it's very good for you. I tested the pudding and could tell no difference between it and using regular evaporated milk. I am pleased I came up with the idea but need more.
I wish I could afford Goat Cheese- (I believe it's 43%
sialic acid to cow cheese 4%) could even make it if I could find a supplier of fresh milk. If I were in a Pandemic tomorrow I would just stay home and make rice treats for the grands and attempt  to  preserve  them in some manner.
Most of my grandchildren are not allowed to have candy so I don't know about that.

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 27 2006 at 5:13pm
I made herbal soaps for heath food stores and gift shops for a good while. I just got so busy I couldn't do that any more (little profit) but I have more than enough soap to last me the rest of my life!
So maybe I'll trade some soap if need be.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 27 2006 at 7:00pm
One more use for white vinegar: Best window and shower cleaner. Important, use newspapers to wipe the glass with. It seems to be the chemical action between the ink and the vinegar that does the trick. Absolutely no streaks!
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 27 2006 at 8:34pm
Yes, that's right. It was used over 40 years ago in restaurants just like that. It will also stop the stinkest old drain, foot order, is said to be good for fungus and so much I can't recall but I believe it will kill virus on contact also. I often wipe the counters down with it. Thanks!
steve 101 View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve 101 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 28 2006 at 3:12am
  FEMVET
cat fleas. Feed a little garlic 2 x weekly and brewers yeast every day. Mix up dried garlic powder and brewers yeast and rub into the coat. Cheap effective safe and the cats love it. Works on dogs too
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 28 2006 at 10:26am
Steve, thank you!! I've heard about the garlic/brewer's yeast, but nobody would give me real info.THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
July View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote July Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 28 2006 at 3:36pm

One more use for white vinegar: Best window and shower cleaner. Important, use newspapers to wipe the glass with. It seems to be the chemical action between the ink and the vinegar that does the trick. Absolutely no streaks!

1001 uses for viegar
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 28 2006 at 4:23pm
Thanks Steve 101 and July. Great info. Steve's recipe is a good thing to know in advance and July after checking the link you posted I'm going to get more vinegar. Some of this I knew but did not know that it would keep the cats from areas of the garden I don't wish them to go. I have used basil with good results but can't plant it everywhere. GREAT! Thanks!
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 28 2006 at 4:32pm
Some "cut the cost" ideas;
Canned Salmon can be replaced with Jack Mackeral for a fraction of the cost.

Save leftovers by preparing them like TV dinners and use when short on time. 
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 29 2006 at 8:24am
Green Firewood;
It's needed as well as dry if one is using it for heat. While dry starts better it will burn up like paper producing less heat. If you buy fire wood ask for some green late in the year. When starting a fire I build up with greenest wood on top (added last). Once you have hot coals you can throw in green wood only- to keep it going. You will find you use less wood and have far more heat plus save less time replenishing. If you have to leave home or when you go to bed; bank the fire or coals by using a shovel to pull the ashes over them. Always leave enough ashes pused to the side to do this. This helps keeps them alive longer, so it takes less time to get a fire going. In using a fireplace a lot of heat is lost up the chimney. I have a wood heater that is made so that I can close the draft (to slow it down) and has an electric blower that warms the whole house. When the power is off I can still have heat and can cook.
Carpet Covering For Heat;
I knew of a large family once about 50 years ago who did not have enough quilts or bed covering to keep them warm during the night. They burned up their furniture trying to stay warm. Not a chair left in that house. Someone had mercy and gave them some old clean carpet pieces and it worked.
Can we have some fresh young ideas now?
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 29 2006 at 10:57am
Maysday, any military surplus store sells woolen blankets cheaply. They itch, but if you place them over another blanket or cover, they keep you very warm for much less than the new blankets. Also, most grocery or drug stores sell the rubber hot water bottles for around $6. One of the absolute best things to pre-heat your bed on a cold winter's night or to chase off the chills if you have a fever. You can also rub vicks vapor-rub on the chest, then place a towel and the water bottle over it. Will help brake up chest congestions and it feels soooo good.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 29 2006 at 7:01pm
Thank you Femvet, I'm sure you are right. I have plenty of cover and make quilts. If the power is off and I can't use my electric blanket I'll pile it on. I'm trying to come up with ideas to keep people who can't or don't know.
Because every year I hear that people die from not having any heat. A new hot water bottle is a good idea, too. Thanks.
honeybee View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote honeybee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 20 2006 at 12:03pm
I have a plan to replace the electric blanket.  I live in the northeast so can face some cold winter nights.

I am searching for thick wool blankets.  Although our bed is king size, i don't care what the size is if it is cheap - I will sew them together to fit my needs.

I am allergic to wool if I touch it, but can wear it, for example, as an outer sweater.

I plan to piece together enough wool blanket to fit the fitted king size sheet, I will then use it as a mattress cover and then cover that with another sheet.

I have a huge, heavy cotton old fashioned bead spread.  I will sew the blanket pieces to it, and fold over about 18 inches at the top so I can cuddle without being itchy.

A top sheet, A blanket for protection from the wool, the wool/beadspread blanket, our regular quilt on the top.

Also, I have a big piece of heavy wool from a full length skirt.  I plan to work up the pillow case covers from the scraps.

I figure that should get me through a New York winter night!

Honeybee
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 20 2006 at 1:13pm

honeybee, I have found wool blankets in thrift stores for a fraction of original cost. Once I took one that even had a few moth holes in it, sewed them up and used it as filling for a cover which I "tacked" all over about two inches apart with yarn.  My daughter-in-law used it to cover my infant grand-daughter at the time. The child grew up with the quilt and I was recently called to come to her house to put the hem back, as it had worn loose in washing. She wouldn't let me bring it home- I had to do it there!  Good luck.

honeybee View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote honeybee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 20 2006 at 1:44pm
Thanks Maysday!

I have been focusing on food and haven't gotten the wool yet, but I will now browse our local thrift store - probably better chance in June than the fall!

Honeybee
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 20 2006 at 3:47pm
Check out military surplus stores. Should find the blankets there easily.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 20 2006 at 3:49pm
Breakfast for less then 4 cents!

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 20 2006 at 5:33pm
Originally posted by honeybee honeybee wrote:

Thanks Maysday!

I have been focusing on food and haven't gotten the wool yet, but I will now browse our local thrift store - probably better chance in June than the fall!

Check out fabric stores,all winter fabrics are on clearanceWink
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 20 2006 at 8:49pm

Breakfast for less then 4 cents!

Thanks! That's so neat.
detpat View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote detpat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 20 2006 at 11:42pm
  july, how did you manage to have skin rashes appear from the dead?
  just curious
  pat
never underestimate the power of human stupidity
honeybee View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote honeybee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 21 2006 at 6:27am
pat - she spelled it deod - i think she meant deodorant caused the rash.  had me going for a minute too  lol
Honeybee
detpat View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote detpat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 21 2006 at 7:25am
 that's not nearly so much fun.

pat
never underestimate the power of human stupidity
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic