Click to Translate to English Click to Translate to French  Click to Translate to Spanish  Click to Translate to German  Click to Translate to Italian  Click to Translate to Japanese  Click to Translate to Chinese Simplified  Click to Translate to Korean  Click to Translate to Arabic  Click to Translate to Russian  Click to Translate to Portuguese  Click to Translate to Myanmar (Burmese)

PANDEMIC ALERT LEVEL
Forum Home Forum Home > Pandemic Prepping Forums > General Prepping Tips
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Tracking the next pandemic: Avian Flu Talk

Porta Potty

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Porta Potty
    Posted: June 04 2006 at 9:05pm
Since I live in the dessert and don't have the ability to store rain water (since we don't get any) for toilet flushing, I broke down and ordered one of the porta pottys on a camping website. 

It's acutally kinda cool in that it closes like a brief case.  It's called PETT (Portable environmental Toilet by Phillips) and weighs 7lb.  It sets-up on 3 legs at normal toilet height and there is a cover that comes down over the seat which has a bag under it.

You go into the bag which has a chemical in it to cause liquid to gel.  Then you take the bag out and put a new one in. 

The whole thing was a bit pricey at $69 DISCOUNT (some places are selling it for $115 ouch!) but if you gotta go, you gotta go!  I live in a city and we don't have outhouses or woods - so this is the next best thing.

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 05 2006 at 4:55am
kr105,

Can you post the website?  I haven't seen one like that yet.  I got a plastic thingamajobby from Walmart  a while back for about $25, but yours sounds better.  Not to mention it might be nice to have more than oneEmbarrassed
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 05 2006 at 4:59am

Hi Sand,

If you'd like to look at it, here is the manufacturer's site:
http://www.thepett.com/
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 05 2006 at 5:11am
Very Cool!  They are asking $116Ouch  How did you get a discount?
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 05 2006 at 9:15am
This is a topic I don't have any experience with, since I've never gone camping, however...

I think the commercial bag and gel combo is really expensive so wouldn't be practical for a family if the water was off more than a couple of days. Don't forget that bag has to be replaced after each use.

~~~~

I vaguely recall reading a tip somewhere last year about using a regular toilet in an emergency no-water situation. All water would have to be drained from the toilet bowl so the area is dry. Then it would just be a matter of placing an open plastic bag in the toilet with the top edges of the bag folded over around the top rim. Then the toilet seat would come down over that. I guess you'd have to be careful that the top edges of the plastic bag don't slip into the toilet.

I'm not sure how sturdy the plastic bag would have to be and whether you could add chemicals to make the liquid contents gel. I have wondered if sawdust could be sprinkled in the bag instead so the bag wouldn't have to be discarded after each use.
2ifbyC View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 2ifbyC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 05 2006 at 9:42am
Originally posted by Sand Sand wrote:

Not to mention it might be nice to have more than oneEmbarrassed

Ah yes, 'HIS' & 'HERS'! Wink
Survival does have an 'I'!

Dodging 'canes on Florida's central Gulf Coast
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 05 2006 at 10:45am
Well .... I guess we have plenty of time to try it out, before it's really needed! Embarrassed
Mrs. T View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mrs. T Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 05 2006 at 12:20pm
Originally posted by 2ifbyC 2ifbyC wrote:

Originally posted by Sand Sand wrote:

Not to mention it might be nice to have more than oneEmbarrassed

Ah yes, 'HIS' & 'HERS'! Wink

My girls have already put in a request for one for the guys Dead and one for the gals.

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 05 2006 at 4:25pm
Yes, AND one for the kids!  Five year old boys aren't the best shotsLOL
ozjohn View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ozjohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 05 2006 at 4:43pm
What do you do with the filled bags?

OJ
Scout motto - "Be Prepared"
2ifbyC View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 2ifbyC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 05 2006 at 5:07pm
Originally posted by ozjohn ozjohn wrote:

What do you do with the filled bags? 

Mail 'em to Congress? Evil Smile
Survival does have an 'I'!

Dodging 'canes on Florida's central Gulf Coast
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 05 2006 at 5:42pm
Hi 2ifbyC,

I like your suggestion!  Yes the bags seem pricey, but in researching this, I found a site where people who own it, rate it.  The suggestion there was "If it's yellow, let it mellow.  If it's brown, New Bag Down".  The setup is a bag in a bag which controls the odors.  On their web site, they say to put it in the trash can, but I'm going to be ready to bury it in the back if it comes to that.

As to how to find it discount, I google'd it and started to check prices.   (Which is how I usually bargain shop.)  This one came from Amazon.com
starfire View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote starfire Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 06 2006 at 2:11pm
I once had to use a make shift potty for 3 months.Back then they didn't have plastic 5 gal buckets,but thats what I'm using they have toilet seats to fit these buckets.Bass pro has bucket and lid for around 25. but can get the seat for 10. use 2 plastic bags (tall trash can size 13 gal) secure with large rubber band,elastic,the elastic off mens underware works good,put lid on,put a sheet of newspaper on bottom,then add arm and hammer cat litter,next time add a sheet of paper then cat litter,etc.may have to change more often if its poo.If this is too low you can always use a chair cut a hole and but a toilet seat on it and bucket under as above noted.Build a box,use a bench lots of way to make your own,if you need to you can use any size bucket that works .you can buy 5 gal bucket at walmart in paint department and alot of bakery depts have them used cheap.Good luck..
Rocky View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rocky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 06 2006 at 5:38pm
See links below for pictures and more details.

Pooh Powder, obtainable from the manufacturer, allows you to get many more uses from a wag bag. Just toss a little extra powder into the wag bag after using it. I haven't done a test to see how long a person can use one wag bag, but contests might be in order.
PETT Portable Dry Toilet by Phillips Environmental
The PETT (Portable Environmental Toilet) is a real breakthrough in emergency portable toilets. Why? Because it is environmentally friendly, simple to use, folds to briefcase size but opens up to the same height and size as a standard toilet, and requires none of the messy emptying or clean out of a chemical toilet.
Here are some of PETT's unique features:
Made in the USA, no assembly required, sets up in seconds
Utilizes WAG BAG degradable waste bags with Pooh Powder waste treatment that gels waste, neutralizes odor, and starts the decay process...system is spill proof, hygienic, and sanitary
Waste can be thrown in any normal garbage receptacle
Same height and size as a standard toilet
Folds into briefcase size (19" x 14" x 5")
Stable 3-leg design, weighs only 7 pounds
The PETT's durable design of high impact UV stabilized thermoplastic exceeds US military requirements and is currently deployed in field operations throughout the world.
Comes with 3 WAG BAG (Waste Alleviation & Gelling) waste kits, each containing an outer zip-close disposal bag, a waste bag preloaded with Pooh Powder waste treatment, toilet paper, and a hand sanitizer.
(Note: Because of the excess weight of this item, there will be an additional shipping charge of $2.50 at checkout, and upgraded shipping is not available.)
Retail Value: $95.95
HE-USA Price: $83.50          
http://www.homeemergencyusa.com/PETT-Portable-Dry-Toilet_6_82_detail.html

========
The WagBag: Toilet in a Bag
50 or 100 Waste Kits          
From Phillips Environmental comes the world famous WagBag, Toilet in a Bag, comes this easy to use double-bag system that can be used with the PETT toilet, with any other toilet, a bucket, or simply laying it on the ground.
Each waste bag has non-toxic powder that gels liquid, catalyzes decay and neutralizes odor. There are two bags, one funnel bag w/ powder to contain the waste, and a heavy gauge zip lock bag (12"x10") to secure and transport waste. They are approved for disposal w/ normal trash, as group II non-hazardous waste, biodegradeable and approved for landfill.
The bags will work in any marine, R.V. or household toilet. Each kit comes with toilet paper and hand sanitizer.
Whether you own/ plan to buy a PETT portable dry toilet or toilet system, or whether you simply want to prepare for emergencies at home, on the road, or in the field, the WagBag is indispensable.
(Note: Because of the excess weight of this item, there will be an additional shipping charge of $5.00 at checkout, and upgraded shipping is not available.)
WagBag 50 Waste Kits:
Retail Value: $148.95
HE-USA Price: $101.50
Wag Bag 100 Waste Kits:
Retail Value: $272.95
HE-USA Price: $185.50
http://www.homeemergencyusa.com/The-WagBag%3A-Toilet-in-a-Bag-%3Cbr%3E50-or-100-Waste-Kits_6_157_detail.html

===========
Portable Dry Toilet System by Phillips Environmental          
Used by the National Forest Service, National Park Service, FBI, FEMA, United Nations, and our Armed Forces throughout the world, this environmentally friendly waste disposal system is extraordinary.
Its many uses include emergency and disaster planning for corporations, public agencies, office buildings, construction sites, fire and police stations, even individual homes in times of emergency. The System, providing a sanitary and odorless method of disposing of liquid and solid waste, consists of:

PETT (Portable Environmental Toilet) - unique three-legged, portable toilet that folds to briefcase size (19" x 14" x 5"), yet is the same height as a standard toilet and weighs only 7 pounds
WAG Bag (Waste Alleviation & Gelling) - 15 special degradable, puncture resistant, landfill approved bags that contain a powder that gels liquids, catalyzes decay, and removes odor. Includes toilet paper, antiseptic wipe, and a zip close disposal bag that can then be placed in ordinary trash.
PUP (Portable Utility Pop-Up Tent) - floorless, 6'6" x 4' x 4' privacy tent, 3 interior windows with screens, velcro flap in the ceiling to accommodate an outdoor showerhead (not included), zip close door. No assembly necessary, sets up in seconds, hinged reinforced fiberglass poles and connectors attached. Ground secure flaps on 3 sides. Includes carrying case. Weighs only 6 pounds
TOTE Backpack - Carries the entire PETT Dry Toilet System. Made with sturdy black fabric and heavy duty zippers, padded straps. 25" x 15" x 6". Separate storage area for unused bags, expandable compartment to pack out used WAG bag waste kits.
The complete System, made in the USA, weighs only 19 pounds and is fully portable. Additional supplies are available directly from the manufacturer. What else can we say? This is an amazing product at an amazing price.
(Note: Because of the excess weight of this item, there will be an additional shipping charge of $6.00 at checkout, and upgraded shipping is not available.)
Retail Value: $289.95
HE-USA Price: $239.95     
http://www.homeemergencyusa.com/Portable-Dry-Toilet-System%3Cbr%3E_6_83_detail.html

============
We can help. Rocky
Prepare for the Unexpected!
Rocky
http://www.homeemergencyusa.com
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 06 2006 at 5:47pm
Rocky,

Thanks for the great sources!

K.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 07 2006 at 11:26am
Rocky, I've looked at this toilet and have a question for you. Just how stable is it since it has only three legs? I'm thinking if a very sick person is using this, will they tip over?? TIA
GreenTeam View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GreenTeam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 14 2006 at 1:35pm
I am wondering about toilet options. Can't we just dig a deep hole in our yard for a makeshift "outhouse"? I read on another thread that we're not supposed to do this, because it could contaminate groundwater. But our ancestors used outhouses. And when we do backcountry camping, we dig a small hole for the #2, or there are out-holes provided at campsites.

The only problem I can think of is that we can't dig a hole very easily in the winter, as the ground will be frozen.

We live in the suburbs, by the way.

Thoughts?
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 14 2006 at 2:20pm
Green, Go ahead and dig a hole if need be.  We are talking a disaster here and survival . I would make a plan to dig a big enough hole for a long use not each use. We plan on building  a full outhouse  here on skids so easy to move. As its rock 3 ft down we will have to move it on occasion. Just buy a few bags of lime to use  in it. That would be a lot better than bags of waste piling up with no trash pickup.  Unless you live in an apartment a porta potty will be nothing but trouble.   Imagine the summertime in the city with piles of porta-potty bags piling up!

There has to be a better way. Liquids can go down a drain. A bag of gel will be hard to dispose of. I would think a Little Johnie and a Lady Johnie would be more practical. An external cath with a hose down your pants leg for privacy?

In Taiwan where central sewers are not practical  because of earthquakes everyting is gathered and cooked down to dried fertilizer.

Of course in a high rise just drill a hole through your floor.

Hi 2if- where You been?
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 15 2006 at 4:09pm
2ifbyC-LOLLOLLOL
Pfwag View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pfwag Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 17 2006 at 10:51pm

Simple and cheap:  http://tinyurl.com/z69gk

Nice, clean, portable, flushable, and affordable:  http://tinyurl.com/hlyn7

I'm going to make one of the first and we have one of the second at the cabin in the mountains for use by the wife who doesn't want to go to the outhouse in the middle of the night.  we've had that one  for 10+ years. It looks just like the one referenced but ours is green.  Very easy (and clean) to dump.

Concerned Dad View Drop Down
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Concerned Dad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 19 2006 at 10:27am
This may be a bit off topic, but I am planning to set up my kids 1000 gallon pool in my garage as soon as I deem it necessary. This will give me plenty of potty water for flushing, and it will be out of sight to every one around me.
The pool was 49.00 at a local big box store. Its the type where you inflate a blue ring that is at the top of the sides and as the pool fills the ring rises.
It seems a pretty cheap way to tuck away some serious (non drinking) waters.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 19 2006 at 8:46pm

These pools do indeed hold a large ammount of water..It is the one we have been using this summer,.  Came with a filter too..We had to take it down twice at first in order to get it stable since it collapsed both times while on a small slant.   Be sure that your base is very level and there should not be a problem..

Good Luck
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 20 2006 at 7:58am
Everyone over to Mary's  house to go skinny dippin!!!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic