Click to Translate to English Click to Translate to French  Click to Translate to Spanish  Click to Translate to German  Click to Translate to Italian  Click to Translate to Japanese  Click to Translate to Chinese Simplified  Click to Translate to Korean  Click to Translate to Arabic  Click to Translate to Russian  Click to Translate to Portuguese  Click to Translate to Myanmar (Burmese)

PANDEMIC ALERT LEVEL
Forum Home Forum Home > Pandemic Prepping Forums > General Prepping Tips
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Tracking the next pandemic: Avian Flu Talk

Small Dorm refridgerators

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Small Dorm refridgerators
    Posted: June 05 2006 at 12:33pm
I know some of you are concerned about keeping meds in your fridge, and wonder about using small generators. Will it work you ask.
Walmart, and I know other stores carry dorm size refridgerators (about 2 CF) that use very little power compared to a full size unit.
Some say they use about 1 amp, and at 120 volts that is 120 watts, and may be 360 watts startup.
These might be used with inverters of a good size, as long as you can power the inverter with your car. A battery still would not last long by itsself.
And a small generator should power it without problem.
Cost is (I think) about $90.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 05 2006 at 12:42pm
There is a way to power a small coleman cooler using solar lights for outside and an electric coleman cooler. You need a marine battery, a tie in and/or an inverter but I am not good with electrical/solar stuff. Prepandemic I was starting to read up on it but had to drop it.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 05 2006 at 2:15pm
This mini-fridge is smaller and cheaper at around $60:

It may take less power to operate.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 05 2006 at 3:20pm
you could still plug it into the inverter using a solar hookup
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 06 2006 at 7:38pm
I've noticed that over the summer months (when the kiddies are getting ready to go off to school) the stores start stocking additional models of "dorm" fridges that they don't normally have. 

Sit tight for a few weeks and you'll find sales and a better selection.
K

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic