Click to Translate to English Click to Translate to French  Click to Translate to Spanish  Click to Translate to German  Click to Translate to Italian  Click to Translate to Japanese  Click to Translate to Chinese Simplified  Click to Translate to Korean  Click to Translate to Arabic  Click to Translate to Russian  Click to Translate to Portuguese  Click to Translate to Myanmar (Burmese)

PANDEMIC ALERT LEVEL
Forum Home Forum Home > Main Forums > Latest News
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Tracking the next pandemic: Avian Flu Talk

Attention People with a medical backround

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Attention People with a medical backround
    Posted: June 07 2006 at 10:30am
Anyone on here with a medical backround we need you. Someone on the family preps wrote that the drug used for allergies also helped to open the lungs for people to breathe. I tried it and it worked .Since physicians are not prescribing extra meds according to our posts. We need someone to tell us, other possible uses of otc meds. I recall years ago, when benadryl and allergy med was still prescription only, that my physician prescribed it for me as a mild sleep inducer. People will have a hard time sleeping and they may want to get a bit of that. Are their medications otc, that can help with breathing problems, anxiety, or any other malady you can think of. I also know that dramamine for motion sickness induces sleep. I know that you can double ibuprophin meds to get a prescription strength. Lets face it, we need to stock up and prep now. Dr.s are going to be too busy to mess with this stuff if this hits. If there is legal problems, change your SN and post under a different one. But Please Help us.  I know that everyone should check and see what is the under the counter drugs are that are legal in your state, that is something that pharmacies and DR.s dont advertise, in NC and Ill you can condiene cough meds with a signature. Let us know if otc inhalers work, that type of thing. Please medical folks help us out. All the food and water in the world is not going to help if people cant control common condidions because they cant get meds. Are there any meds out there that can lower blood pressure? Send us to websites whatever you can do will be appreciated. Our own docs are blowing this off and we need help.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 07 2006 at 10:43am
Agree about the Ibuprofen, you can take 800 mgs. which would be 4 of the store bought type. But, then then time between does lengthens (6 hrs. I believe). Not a medical person, just know this as info. my Dr. told me. Also my mother was a nurse (passed away now). Trying now to rack my brain now on any info. I may have retained from her and my Dr.'s.

No worries, I will not post any info. that could be harmful because I think it is acurate info. I trust others will show the same caution and respect. Smile
VtDoc View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VtDoc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 07 2006 at 10:55am
Some of these multiple uses are pretty obvious, others not as much.  The degree of expected benefit will vary from pretty good to nearly non-existent, but these are some uses for common OTC products.  Use at your own risk.

aspirin, ibuprofen, naproxen: pain, fever, inflammation
acetaminophen (Tylenol): fever, pain
diphenhydramine (Benadryl): allergy, sleep aid, anti-itch, maybe anxiety
meclizine (Bonine): motion sickness, nausea from any source, vertigo
antibiotic ointment (Neosporin, etc; not cream): cuts and scrapes, bacterial conjunctivitis (not advised on package information, but lots of people have used without problem.)
caffeine: "alertness", may help with mild bronchospasm (only if you don't use caffeine on a regular basis)

There are probably lots more.

Then there are the herbal and "natural" substances, some of which come close to doing what they claim.  In addition, a lot of prescription meds have multiple uses and indications, too many to list.  And there are also obviously a lot of non-medication items that have multiple uses including for medical needs, such as baking soda, vinegar, etc.

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 07 2006 at 11:06am
Ah, yes, that reminds me. I have been plagued with stomach probs/heartburn and have been taking tums constantly. Got fed up. Researched online and discovered that apple cider vinegar (1 tsp. in some water a few times a day) could help. I kid you not, as soon as I drink that (Yuck!) the discomfort goes away. I have heard that it may be due to the stomach not making enough acid or something, instead of the other way around, hence taking tums may have made it worse.. Anyhow, vinegar can be used for a variety of purposes... Just have to do some investigating.
Cygnet View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cygnet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 07 2006 at 1:57pm
I doubt it will help with bird flu, but it's worth noting for asthmatics -- COFFEE works well for some people to ease mild bronchiospasm. I'm a moderate to severe asthmatic & I started drinking coffee after I discovered this. I started out pinching my nose when I drank it -- at least until I discovered the wonders of hersheys syrup and a shot of real cream.
ShaRenKa View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ShaRenKa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 07 2006 at 3:43pm
    First off using BOTH, the acetaminophen AND the Ibuprophen is to be used at the same time. High fevers run with the BF. And these two drugs have diffrent properties and can be taken together. I not only have this? But also a Natural root called Osha Root. It has been used by the Native Americans for ever for bronchitis and pneumonia. It has kick ass properties that our scientists are just now beginning to descover. It builds up the white blood cells in the lungs, making them stronger to help fight. What I do is take 1 lb of the root, add it to 1 qt of cold water...let this simmer on stove about one hour. After, strain root water thru cheese cloth ect..into another well cleansed bowl ect. Add to this root water as much Honey as you need for taste. Bottle and cap, refridgerate. When needed take 1 tbs as needed (aprox avery 2 hrs). I'd bump the amount up to 2 tbs if very ill. Very important! Make sure ALL vessels are well cleaned, boiled, or rinsed out with bleach,and water before filling.
Sha Ren Ka
ShaRenKa View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ShaRenKa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 07 2006 at 3:44pm
    PS...Osha root can be found relatively cheaply on ebay.
Sha Ren Ka
ShaRenKa View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ShaRenKa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 07 2006 at 3:47pm
    sorry me again;P lol Best way to take Osha? Break off a piece of the root and chew it....over time swallowing the mixture of spit and root juice. But! Fair warning...this root is very strong tasting to say the least;P
Sha Ren Ka
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 07 2006 at 4:10pm
Follow these suggestions at your own risk....

meclizine (the active ingredient in non drowsy formula of dramamine) sleep aid, it makes you just drowsy enough to fall asleep without the "hungover" feeling of benadryl the next day.

The best OTC remedy I would suggest for High Blood Pressure is to LOSE weight!

Did I read your post correctly above about using neosporin for "pink eye"?  Not so sure I would try that........unless it was really bad and it was neosporin or nothing.

Epsom salts is good for sprains, strains and to help skin abcesses rupture and drain. 

When self diagnosing and treating PLEASE use commonsense.  I will just list some examples of what happened to people who did not.

A teenage girl who got pregnant heard herb XXXXXXXX would give her an abortion.  She went to a health food store and purchased a bottle of concentrated oil and ingested the whole bottle.  She aborted and then bled to death the amount of the active ingredient in the herb oil was the same as consuming a truckload of the herb.  Hospital staff was unable to keep her from bleeding out.

Heat can make the pain from an earache feel better so a couple decided to leave a hair dryer running in the crib all night long next to their baby's ear.  The baby was dead in the morning because it raised the baby's brain temperature to a lethal level.

Linda View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Linda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 07 2006 at 4:49pm
Originally posted by ShaRenKa ShaRenKa wrote:

First off using BOTH, the acetaminophen AND the Ibuprophen is to be used at the same time. High fevers run with the BF. And these two drugs have diffrent properties and can be taken together..

I am almost positive that these two drugs should NEVER be taken together. They can be alternated but not to be given at same time.  Of course with bird flu I'd try anything....

Tylenol (acetaminophen) is a dangerouse drug that can cause liver failure. It has a prolonged half life...which means it takes a long time for your body to process the drug. For this reason it builds in your system.  Taking it other than advised on the bottle can lead to overdose and death....More kids die in America each year of Tylenol overdose than have died of birdflu....other over the counter drugs such as cough syrrups sometimes contain acetamiophen and should be used with caution if using with tylenol.
 Remember Toxicity is dose-dependant.
Children have been known to overdose on tylenol and die. This isn't widely publicised because of the hit it would cause the drug companies....DR's and Nurses please back me up here. If I am wrong let me know but I am 99.9% sure that some of what I am saying is correct and 100% sure about the rest.

Fever is a way of the body to kill virus...It is a good thing...unless the fever is prolonged or over 101 it should be left to run its course.

That being said...here's some tidbits.

Frozen corn, peas, or mixed vegies make a great ice pac....they conform to the body part that needs iced....Coffee can help a child who is having an asthma attack depending on the type of asthma....bananas can help lower bl;ood pressure....warm baby oil for an earache...and the antibiotic cream is what they give you for eye infection....I don't know the measurements but pink eye medicine is basically rubbing alcohol and water....saline is salt water...what a rip-off.

My favorite home remedy....Whyskey cures a toothache....ok for a short while....rinsing with hot water and hydrogen peroxide...gets the infection out....but whyskey is more fun.
Insanity is making the same mistakes and expecting different results....therefore...Those who don't learn from history are bound to go insane.
ShaRenKa View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ShaRenKa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 07 2006 at 4:52pm
    I totaly agree with using your head! As far as the Osha rt goes though? I'll take that over tamiflu anyday. 2 local docs here told me that they did read ups on the osha root findings and it was unbelievable they said. Something growing benieth our feets. But isn't that just like Mother Nature to not only give us BF...but something as fantastic as Osha root? ;)
Sha Ren Ka
ShaRenKa View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ShaRenKa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 07 2006 at 4:53pm
    Linda, this was suggested by a doctor who was speaking on the BF...how to treat the ill at home. I got the read up here... I'll see if I can retrieve it.
Sha Ren Ka
bellabecky View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bellabecky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 07 2006 at 4:57pm
Hello. When my daughter had a fever the doctor told me to alternate the two, ibuprofen & tylonel. He said to use the tylonel every four hours, but if that didn't keep the fever down for the full 4 hours to give the ibuprofen in between. So tylonel...2 hours later ibuprofen...2 hours later tylonel...and so on. But only if necessary to control the fever. BUT I'm not a doctor so you'd need to check with your own doctor.
ShaRenKa View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ShaRenKa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 07 2006 at 5:01pm
    Its a PDF I downloaded....cannot copy it;( But its called...."Preparing for the comming Influenza Pandemic"...by Gratton Woodson, MD,FACP.It can be gotten on the web.
Sha Ren Ka
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 07 2006 at 5:03pm
I have been told many times by a couple of doctors over the years, especially when higher fevers involved, to take tylenol and ibuprofen...one or the other every 2-4 hours. hmmm Hope I didn't get bad information.
Linda View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Linda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 07 2006 at 5:03pm
Originally posted by bellabecky bellabecky wrote:

Hello. When my daughter had a fever the doctor told me to alternate the two, ibuprofen & tylonel. He said to use the tylonel every four hours, but if that didn't keep the fever down for the full 4 hours to give the ibuprofen in between. So tylonel...2 hours later ibuprofen...2 hours later tylonel...and so on. But only if necessary to control the fever. BUT I'm not a doctor so you'd need to check with your own doctor.

Yes I remembered alternating and added that to my post....The taking of the two medicines together was the part I wasn't sure of...also age and weight would make a difference as far as how much can be taken but note: The Dr. didn't tell you to up the tylenol to every 2 hours....because....your child would have been at risk of overdose.
Insanity is making the same mistakes and expecting different results....therefore...Those who don't learn from history are bound to go insane.
Linda View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Linda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 07 2006 at 5:05pm

Linda, this was suggested by a doctor who was speaking on the BF...how to treat the ill at home. I got the read up here... I'll see if I can retrieve it.

which part? and did he mention dosage according to weight etc?
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 07 2006 at 5:07pm
I thought it was alternate tylanol and motrin.
Linda View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Linda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 07 2006 at 5:07pm
Originally posted by nadia007 nadia007 wrote:

I have been told many times by a couple of doctors over the years, especially when higher fevers involved, to take tylenol and ibuprofen...one or the other every 2-4 hours. hmmm Hope I didn't get bad information.

One or the other...alternating...not at the same time. Please note the taking of these 2 medications together is the part of my post I was talking about when I said not 100 percent sure. 

Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bellabecky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 07 2006 at 5:09pm
Yes, you have to alternate every two hours. But you should stop and go back to one, every four hours, as soon as the fever will allow it. I have a dosage chart I got from the doctor. It goes by age and weight. If you tell me what weight/age I'll give the information. By the way, advil is ibuprofen
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 07 2006 at 5:09pm
I agree on the tylenol issue.  I have not taken one in about 8 yrs. I use aspirin for myself and I used ibuprofen for my 2 kids when needed they are old enough for aspirin now.  BTW, in certain people ibuprofen can cause rebound headaches another good reason to get that $1 bottle of aspirin from the dollar store.  If you are going to have any type of surgical procedure done though you should completely stop the aspirin unless your physician recommends you continue it.

Another example about common sense.

A woman went in to have surgery and she lied about the amount of a popular headache powder that she took (which contains aspirin).  Surgery was started and she bled like crazy everywhere they cut, a second surgeon was called in to assist because she was bleeding so badly because her blood was so thinned out from the aspirin. She almost died from an OTC headache remedy.

Linda View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Linda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 07 2006 at 5:12pm
Originally posted by carolina kid carolina kid wrote:

I thought it was alternate tylanol and motrin.

Tylanol = acetaminophine
Motrin = Ibprofin
 Tylenol and Motrin are brand names...when you by them instead of the generic the extra money you spend gets you nothing but the advertising that helps convince you to buy them....Wink
Linda View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Linda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 07 2006 at 5:14pm
Choe-good point....aspirin is a blood thinner.
Linda View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Linda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 07 2006 at 5:16pm

Its a PDF I downloaded....cannot copy it;( But its called...."Preparing for the comming Influenza Pandemic"...by Gratton Woodson, MD,FACP.It can be gotten on the web.

In case you're searching for that PDF on my account...please don't unless it was published by a reputable source....anyone can claim they are a Dr. and publish whatever they want on the net.
ShaRenKa View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ShaRenKa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 07 2006 at 5:17pm
    Linda, it's on pg 24 of the PDF...he states..."Fever, body aches, chills, sore throat and headache: Ibuprofen and/or acetaminophen are used to lower fever and help the patient feel better. The above symptoms respond well to these drugs. Use these products for above symptoms of flu according to my instructions, not the bottle label. Don't under dose the patient. Many people take doses that are ineffective for fear of taking too much. Remember that acetaminophen can be used at the same time and in full doses as ibuprophen because they are in diffrent drug classes and have diffrent drug side affects. Combination treatment with both has an additive effect of benefit without increasing risk. The dose of ibuprophen I recommend you to use is 2 to 4 tablets (400 mg to 800 mg) every 4 hours. For acetaminophen, the dose is 2 500 mg tablets 4 times daily. Do not exceed these does for either drug. This is maxiumum for both. Too high a fever can cause seizures/brain damage. Try to keep a little fever, as this helps fight off the flu...but not over 101.
Sha Ren Ka
ShaRenKa View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ShaRenKa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 07 2006 at 5:21pm
    The PDF states....By Grattan Woodson, MD, FACP. Medical Director, The Druid Oaks Health center, Decatur, GA. USA Phone:404-298-9951    or WWW.DruidOHC.com
should be easy enough to find out!
Sha Ren Ka
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bellabecky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 07 2006 at 5:21pm
OKAY...I just called my neighborhood Pharmacist (Rite-Aid). Here is what he said...Advil, Motrin & Ibuprofen are all the same chemical. He also said they are more effective at controlling fevers.

Then there is Tylonel, who's active chemical is acetaminophen. You can also get generic brands.

He said ONLY IF NECESSARY to control fever to alternate every two hours. Advil/Motrin/Ibuprofen....then two hours later Tylonel/Acetaminophen....two hours later Advil/Motrin/Ibuprofen...and so on.

ShaRenKa View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ShaRenKa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 07 2006 at 5:22pm
    Very good!
Sha Ren Ka
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bellabecky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 07 2006 at 5:26pm
When dosing children be careful of the milligram (mg) strength because the liquid, chewables, infant drops, etc. are all different.

Okay to give Tylonel/Acetaminophen every 4 hours, but not more then 5 doses in 24 hours.

I don't know the exacts for the ibuprofen/advil/motrin.

ShaRenKa View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ShaRenKa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 07 2006 at 5:31pm
I found my back up...go to this addy...www.usatoday.com/news/nation/2005-12-06-bird-flu-prepare-side_x.htm
Sha Ren Ka
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 07 2006 at 5:31pm
I use a puffer for colds and use them to dry out the lungs when I have a cold to avoid going on antibiotics it worked the last two times

I use a nasel rinse for colds it works but I dont know about for the flu.
Is this what you meant by a medication to help with the avain flu. Some antihistimines also dry out the nasel passages. What about decongestants. will they bne helpful .
I know coffee helps the lungs open up for breathing and sometime used when there is nothing else to help.

What drugs could we take when there is no medical support.

I know they used cortizone to help with Sars but they needed such high doses that It caused long term health problems   Asperian / advil like drugs would have the same effect in reducing imflamation .

could we have imformation on how they treated Sars . I read some imformation and I think it would be relevant imformation

Could we have a doctor answer these questions .

Thanks

Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bellabecky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 07 2006 at 5:35pm
Ha! Just eat an altoid...that'll clear you up! Think I'll get some for my bunker!     
Bobcat View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bobcat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 07 2006 at 5:36pm
 I posted a couple of days ago about an article that was in the Scientific American mag. It was on fighting cytokine storm with of all things, nicotine. It turns out that it is a powerful anti-inflammetory, specific in the downregulation of the cytokine storm effect. I have thought to myself that in a worst case scenario, that I would use nicoderm patches to try to save the life of my pregnant daughter, if (God forbid) it came to that.
  I am going out and buying the patches that are the "middle" step in milligram doseage, and will just have them on hand "in case". I don't smoke, and the only other way that I can justify the cost, is that in a pandemic situation, the smokers will pay dearly for them, if I don't need them.Wink
Ready or not, here it comes!
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 07 2006 at 5:37pm
What I am really looking for are uses for otc meds, or herbs or whatever else you get a health food stores, that would come in handy to save someones life if they could not get regular medications. Which we have been told will happen.
As far as who ever said for blood pressure lose weight, my mothers side of the family, the women never were above 115 pounds at their heaviest and they all had or have high blood pressure. Another Aunt who is thin as a rail, I have no clue what she weighs, worked as a medical professional with Rochester Mayo Clinic all her life and guess what, I have never heard of as high a bp as she had. I have had high blood pressure and am not over weight, so not all high blood pressure is due to over weight.
People will die of high blood pressure related heart attacks, they may die of prolonged siezures due to no siezure meds, asthma without inhalers will kill. Etc. If you read, you can see the dosages for most otc meds on the pkg if you are using them for what they are intended. If you need something for a asthma attack and your inhalers are gone, what do you do?
ShaRenKa View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ShaRenKa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 07 2006 at 5:39pm
    VSTR...look up the properties on the web for Osha root. I'm betting on it;)
Sha Ren Ka
Jhetta View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jhetta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 07 2006 at 5:41pm
Re:"bananas can help lower bl;ood pressure"

If you have a condition that causes your body to produce excessive hormones you should not use bananas to lowered blood pressure.

Excessive hormones can cause your blood pressure to rise and eating bananas can cause these hormones to rise as well.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 07 2006 at 5:44pm
Originally posted by ShaRenKa

First off using BOTH, the acetaminophen AND the Ibuprophen is to be used at the same time. High fevers run with the BF. And these two drugs have diffrent properties and can be taken together..

"I am almost positive that these two drugs should NEVER be taken together. They can be alternated but not to be given at same time. "

Sorry, the first statement is correct. Just this past winter I took my teenage son to the hospital with a very bad bout of the flu (even the Dr. thought he had pneumonia). The nurse specifically said to give him both tylenol and ibuprofen together, one for the fever, the other for his chest pain.
Ibuprofen is a NSAID, which is completely different then tylenol. They are perfectly safe to take together.
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bellabecky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 07 2006 at 5:47pm
I stocked up on OTC medications at the Kaiser clinic. They have their own label and sell it really inexpensively. I got vitamins, tylonel, ibuprofen, flu & cold medicine, pedialyte, rehydration salt packets, anti-diaharreal, pepto bismo, antacids, Antihistamine, Anti-Diarrheal, Double Antibiotic Ointment, Hydrogen Peroxide, Laxatives, Maximum Strength Orajel, IcyHot for under $40.00. I have gone back for the instant cold packs, and other first aid stuff. If you have a Kaisser Clinic/Hospital in your area, hit the pharmacy...it's a bargain.
abbie View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote abbie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 07 2006 at 5:53pm
vstr,
concerning my own experience with high blood pressure, my doctor asked me to restrict salt intake. No extra salt from the shaker , no boxed, canned, processed foods, said to eat everything as close to it's natural state as you can. Some people are salt sensitive . He also said to restrict red meat to once a week if at all. In my experience this worked. I check the sodium content on everything and I also take 1 baby aspirin every day in the AM.
I also have read that a 1/2 teaspoon of cinnamon will help level off your blood sugar level. You can also add this to a food you will be eating.
I have some books by Dr. Andrew Weil, in one he tells that in China they recommend 4 stalks of celery a day day to start to try to control blood pressure that is a little high before they go to any medicine.
I am not a doctor but this is what I have experienced myself. If you feel your doctor is blowing you off I'd go see a new one. My doctor says the first thing a doctor should do is LISTEN to what his patient has to say.
Abbie
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bellabecky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 07 2006 at 5:53pm
Ibuprofen is a NSAID, which is completely different then tylenol. They are perfectly safe to take together.

Good to know. I'll see which serves me best if someone gets sick. If the pain is bad and the fever can be controlled with meds every four hours...together. If the fever can't be controlled by meds every four hours...alternate. It's good to know we have alternative options depending on what the situation is.    
Jhetta View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jhetta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 07 2006 at 6:02pm
I spent two weeks in intensive care last year on a respirator... long story. 

I had a high temperature for the 4 weeks I spent in the hospital after I was released from intensive care.

I could hardly get them to give me any medication to lower my temperature.  It had to reach a high level/number before they would give it to me.... even though I was soaked to the bone from fever... for well over a month.  For the life of me I can not remember what the temp. number was before they would give me medication... must have blocked it out!

I had to blow into a device to measure lung function at regular intervals... they claimed this would lower by blood pressure.

Your body uses  temperature to protect you....
Linda View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Linda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 07 2006 at 6:10pm

Linda, it's on pg 24 of the PDF...he states..."Fever, body aches, chills, sore throat and headache: Ibuprofen and/or acetaminophen are used to lower fever and help the patient feel better. The above symptoms respond well to these drugs. Use these products for above symptoms of flu according to my instructions, not the bottle label. Don't under dose the patient. Many people take doses that are ineffective for fear of taking too much. Remember that acetaminophen can be used at the same time and in full doses as ibuprophen because they are in diffrent drug classes and have diffrent drug side affects. Combination treatment with both has an additive effect of benefit without increasing risk. The dose of ibuprophen I recommend you to use is 2 to 4 tablets (400 mg to 800 mg) every 4 hours. For acetaminophen, the dose is 2 500 mg tablets 4 times daily. Do not exceed these does for either drug. This is maxiumum for both. Too high a fever can cause seizures/brain damage. Try to keep a little fever, as this helps fight off the flu...but not over 101.

Thank you for taking the time to look that up....
This "Dr." is (unless you left it out) recommending that people take a specific amount of both Ibuprofin and tylenol that acceeds that which is recommended by the FCA....He is also not taking into consideration age, weight or underlying medical conditions....check the article I think this person also states that Tylenol is not an NSAID....It definately is....I think I read the article before....sounds like the same one and came to the conclusion that if this person is indeed license dhe is a quack. Any Dr. who would post something like this should have his license evoked. DO NO HARM is in their creed....The above information is not just harmful it could be deadly.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 07 2006 at 6:11pm
I have heard that celery might help drop blood pressure but I would advocate eating celery as part of your weight loss measure.
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bellabecky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 07 2006 at 6:17pm
Linda...My doctors office gave me a dosage chart that I keep with my OTC meds. I think it is probably something that every medical office has if you ask for it. Thanks for the info.   
Jhetta View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jhetta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 07 2006 at 6:21pm

But also a Natural root called Osha Root. It has been used by the Native Americans for ever for bronchitis and pneumonia. It has kick ass properties that our scientists are just now beginning to descover. It builds up the white blood cells in the lungs, making them stronger to help fight. What I do is take 1 lb of the root, add it to 1 qt of cold water...let this simmer on stove about one hour. After, strain root water thru cheese cloth ect..into another well cleansed bowl ect. Add to this root water as much Honey as you need for taste. Bottle and cap, refridgerate. When needed take 1 tbs as needed (aprox avery 2 hrs). I'd bump the amount up to 2 tbs if very ill. Very important! Make sure ALL vessels are well cleaned, boiled, or rinsed out with bleach,and water before filling.

I did a search on PublicMed and could not find much regarding Influenza cytokins etc.

This is the only valid research I could find from UC

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic