Click to Translate to English Click to Translate to French  Click to Translate to Spanish  Click to Translate to German  Click to Translate to Italian  Click to Translate to Japanese  Click to Translate to Chinese Simplified  Click to Translate to Korean  Click to Translate to Arabic  Click to Translate to Russian  Click to Translate to Portuguese  Click to Translate to Myanmar (Burmese)

PANDEMIC ALERT LEVEL
Forum Home Forum Home > Pandemic Prepping Forums > General Prepping Tips
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Tracking the next pandemic: Avian Flu Talk

Pandemic Preparations

Post Reply Post Reply
Poll Question: What percent of people do you think are preparing or are prepared ?
Vote Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
50 [90.91%]
4 [7.27%]
1 [1.82%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]

Author
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jackson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Pandemic Preparations
    Posted: January 28 2006 at 5:14pm
Most people who I have talked to outside of this forum seem very unconcerned with preparations for a possible pandemic. Just wondering if anyone else has had the same experience.    I am trying to buy extra supplies for family members or neighbor who I know have NOT stored any extra food or water. Unfortunately, I don't have a lot of extra money so I can't buy them as much as I would like to, but I am doing as much as I can.  I am just worried that everyone will end up at my house if there is a pandemic becuase they haven't prepared at all.   Does anyone else worry about something like that happening? I have tried to discuss this issue with numerous people but they repeatedly tell me "dont' worry" or "there probably won't be b.f outbreak for years".  I can't force anyone to start making prepartions--  I  just try to keep them as informed as possible

Edited by jackson
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 28 2006 at 8:17pm

Our first unanimous poll!!!  MJ we are going to name you our honorary consensus builder!

Seriously though, we have batted this issue around for about 6 weeks.  It's a painful issue and one where we are going to have to make hard choices and draw firm lines.  Let's just keep hoping the day will never get here as we prepare for its arrival.  Schizophrenia at its finest.

meewee View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote meewee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 28 2006 at 8:31pm

! Amen to that one !

Meewee

God Bless us all!
swankyc View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote swankyc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 28 2006 at 8:52pm

I told all of my friends at work, which is to say everyone (I work in an office of 8) about the bf several weeks ago.  No one seemed all that interested. 

The other day, I said something to one of my best friends about preparing and his comment was something like, "how can I forget, you wont stop reminding me of your conspiracy theories." 

Guaranteed he will be one of the first to ask to stay with us.

It's gonna suck telling him to reap what he's sown.

I'm not afraid, I'm paranoid. Dont talk too loud, they are listening.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 28 2006 at 8:58pm

Ask him if he's got his spot on his roof picked out.  When he looks at you like you're smoking crack remind him of all the people in NO who had to sit on their roofs waiting for someone to come and rescue their stupid butts because they didn't have the sense to listen to the warnings that a category 5 hurricane was baring down on them and they had to leave for their own safety and well-being.

Boy, I get the run-on sentence award tonight!

halogen601 View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote halogen601 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 28 2006 at 9:19pm
I have stopped mentioning it at work.  The usual responses are "I don't want to think about it" or "I have more in life to worry about than that".  So I have to be careful or I will get in trouble for being negative.  I then buy more masks and Sambucol.
There is trouble in the forest.
jackson View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jackson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 28 2006 at 9:52pm
Unfortuantely, that is about the same response I get too.  And you are right, those are the first people who will be knocking at your door asking for help becuase they know you've prepared.

Maybe I should ask this:  Has anyone talked to someone who was initally not interested in preparing for a possible pandemic , but then later  changed their mind after you told them more info about the situaton?  How did you convince them that it IS important to be prepared for any kind of disaster or emergency?  The reason I ask this is becuase my sister has recently moved across the country and has no family out there. Other members of my family also live in different parts of the country , and i'm just not sure who these people would turn to (especially my sister since she is new to the area) if a pandemic occurred.  I can not seem to convince her or anyone else that it would be  a good idea to have some kind of plan and stock up on necessary food and supplies. They all seem to think they'll have plently of warning before a pandemic gets to the United States.  That's why I did the poll to see if anyone thinks that there are more people out there who are starting to make plans in case there is h2h transmission of bird flu. 
Any ideas??
Millie
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 28 2006 at 10:01pm

MJ,

Every day more people get on the band wagon.  Some of us Flubies have been watching almost since the beginning back in '97.  Others since SARS.  Still others since the beginning of '05.  Everyday there are people who stumble across something that makes them sit up and take notice. 

Just because a person is a DGI today doesn't mean that they will still be clueless a week from now. 

BTW: In answer to your question...I have convinced exactly ONE person in my two years.  Everyone has to just come to this issue on their own terms and in their own time. 

For those you care about just keep sending them information...one good article every day or two and hope that the light will dawn before it's too late.

koolsteve View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koolsteve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 29 2006 at 12:56am

Edited by koolsteve
ninjas rule
Marjo View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marjo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 29 2006 at 2:07am
I managed to get several people to prepare for Y2K ..... back in 1999.
Luckily that turned out to be a blank, but it makes it extra difficult to convince people for BF.
I've been accused of crying wolf 'again'

So, succeses: zero
failures: a lot!

Marjo

BTW, I'm not telling people that I have stashed several month's worth of food, water and other things! That way I hopefully don't have them turning up on my doorstep when TSHTF....
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 29 2006 at 3:28am
I suspect, that until there are bodies stacked up on the street corners ready for pickup, that most people will continue to think It can't happen here.

I've emailed my friends and family, preached to those that I could corner, and have even set up a blog site where they can get the latest news - with my analysis - on avian flu.  So far, my Dad and my Sister are the only ones even half-way listening.  They see the need to have ` a few weeks' worth of food stockpiled. 

Today, I found a comment on my blog site from an old family friend.  She's in her 70's, and at least did go to my site to read it.

Her comment?

Just dont be silly enough to let a duck cough on you.Thats my defence.

Keep laughing my dear.  And don't say I didn't at least try to warn you.

Corn View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Corn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 29 2006 at 4:53am

Got one of my brothers worked up a few months back about BF, then his wife calmed him down. She said tamiflu too expensive. they just got back from a vacation. no $ for preps but can vacation in Gatlinburg.

My relatives know I'm preping while I'm down here in Lousiania till mid Feb. One brought me a couple of cases of MRE's left over from Katrina to take back to TN. Yet none of them are preping, even after Katrina.

My brother still scans the news and says keep him posted.

Now with all this cure talk spead by the government media to keep us calm, those who were on the fence will probably decide to go to Gatlinburg or Disneyland.

I have a deep understanding of people and intereaction of the human character and it's frailities. That's why i don't count on a cure reaching me. Besides I will not be put in a position to bow down to the distributiors.  If and when there is a cure I'll get it on my own terms.

Mostly now I keep my mouth shut about BF after mentioning it a couple of times to an individual.

Usually I say,"Have you heard about the BF in the news?" Nobody ever comes back with questions. Most know or have heard about it.

The only one I can talk to sparingly about BF is my mother in law in Tennessee.  They can and put back alot of food normally each summer. They are old timers. They grow a big garden every year and can mountains of stuff. The problem is they have about 5 grown kids and thier kids and great grand kids eating of their table.  The food won't last long.

I plan on feeding a few but it won't be glamorus. haqve extra rice,beans, corn and wheat.

What alarms me the most is that the government is putting the word out, the media is putting the word out in a limited fashion and literally endorsing people to prep.  Where are the empty shelves?

AuntBones View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AuntBones Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 29 2006 at 5:53am
I dont talk about B/F. Just bring up natural disasters and ask are you preping for a tornado, ice storm, or a power outtage?More people will prepare for this type of disaster since Katrina. IMHO a world wide pandemic is unthinkable to most . People still think of this as a Asian problem,or not on my side of the world disease...kind of like when AIDS was first discovered.
halogen601 View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote halogen601 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 29 2006 at 7:21am
I agree with AuntBones--I just don't talk about it anymore.  I've done a reasonably good job of preparing and have resigned myself to leaving everyone else out of it.  Even the local newspaper recently ran an article on the business repercussions should bird flu become a pandemic.  When I bring up that we should consider a pandemic plan, I am looked at with nervous glances of disdain or ridicule.  I'm even starting to doubt myself at times and wonder if I'm overreacting.
There is trouble in the forest.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 29 2006 at 7:28am
Me too..I just stopped talking to people about it..I am sure I would have enough rice and flour to hand some out to a few..and where I live right now..all of my family is 500 miles away, so I think the chances of them showing up at my door during a pandemic would be zero to none..maybe my 21 year old, he knows I prep...
jackson View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jackson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 29 2006 at 8:10am
Thank you all for your posts.  I've had about the same responses from people when I  bring up the idea of making plans in case of a pandemic. They usually say to me: "you are worrying too much---the B.F may never get here" or "I'll have plently of time to get to the grocery store as soon as the first case of B.F gets to the U.S.".   I have tried my best to warn friends and family. I think I will take the advice that many of you have posted: Stay informed and try to keep loved ones updated as much as possible. Maybe one day they will realize that it is impt and will start making preparation.

I've also made a few extra "boxes" of food to hand out in case neighbors show up at my door to borrow some food. I've put some bottled water, some cans of food, a few supplies in there to give out to them.  (I don't think that  my neighbors would actually want to stay with me-- I really think they'd all come buy to get some food to take back to their homes.) That way, I have the boxes ready so that I don't have to go digging through my stuff to find things to give out. (also, then they will be inside my house for as short a time as possible because I do think it's important to limit exposure from other people) I know that probably does sound paranoid or mean, but if I am going to isolate myself and my immediate family in my house for a while, I want to try to limit contact with others as much as possible to minimize spread of the flu.

Thanks again everyone for your great posts!!

Edited by jackson
cccc View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cccc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 30 2006 at 4:04am
Got the water recipes/ingredients printed out, thanks! There is so much prep to do. Thank you all for the welcoming, helpful - perhaps lifesaving - forum.  
trisharp View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trisharp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 30 2006 at 9:30am
I have also resigned myself to the fact that most of the people I have tried to talk to about this issue are not concerned.  I will no longer mention it but will continue my "prep" efforts.  My worry now is that all those individuals I have talked to will show up at my doorstep when it hits.  My wife has suggested that I hide the supplies even from her because she says she will not be able to turn someone away.

If you do just one little thing everyday it begins to add up.
trisharp
Proudest Monkey View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Proudest Monkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 30 2006 at 12:13pm

I have been interested in preparing for emergencies and disasters for over six years now, and I do not talk to anyone about the bird flu, unless they ask me a question. I learned from Y2K that people just will not listen. Most people have the mind-set that it will "never happen to me".
Jaz! View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jaz! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 30 2006 at 4:40pm

I think it best not to tell anyone that you are preparing for anything. If something does happen, be it bird flu or a terror strike, They will be banging your door down for all your preperations. And they won't be nice about it. It's to dangerous. Why should you pay the price for there ignorants. God forbid your neighbor comes to your door with bird flu. They will take your stuff and leave you with bird flu. I don't have a gun, but I will be getting one real soon, and learn how to use it. I don't like guns, but I feel it nesassary. And I won't think twice about protecting my family from looters. Please keep your preps to yourself.

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 30 2006 at 5:25pm

In the beginning, I attempted to educate all of my close friends.  All but 2 (out of 11) turned a deaf ear to me.  I think they think I'm a nut.....but that's okay :)

Now, I just quietely go about my business and do the best I can to prepare for me and my husband and out two dogs.

Kathie

Left Field View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Left Field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 30 2006 at 8:30pm
I quit talking about the bf also, but last month, i gave each of my children $250 to buy emergency foods at Sams and another $50 to buy bottled water for an emergency.  They all said they did it and i sent the money, I can only hope they were truthful.  I know it isn't much to give, but maybe it would get them to thinking a little about the coming emergency and start adding to their preps.  A parental unit can only do so much.
blackmagicwoman View Drop Down
advanced Member
advanced Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blackmagicwoman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 30 2006 at 8:53pm
  I have had little success in getting people to prep for the bird flu until last week when i was  inWalmart and old neighbor ask why i was buying so much, so i told her.  To my surprise she was very intrested and said she would start buying extra that day.  The same day i mention the bird flu to another friend.  his reponse was WHAT, WHAT the H--- are you talking about.  At this point I started laughing, mainly i think i was in shock, i couldn't believe he hadn't heard about BF.  So he quickly started talking about businees money and real estate.  I mention the BF to my church Sunday.  The one lady I apporached was very intrested and plans to have a discussion on it next Sunday.  My sister is starting to prepare.
Mississippi Mama
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 30 2006 at 8:56pm
Wow, Magic!  That's impressive.  I'm embarrassed about my sorry ONE.  I just gave up.
jackson View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jackson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 30 2006 at 9:01pm
Magic,
You have given me some hope that maybe others will start to prepare!  I guess it wouldn't hurt to mention it to people still (I had bascially given up), but if talking about it will get even one person to start making preparations, then i guess it's worth it!
stardust View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stardust Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 30 2006 at 10:06pm
I was talking to people about it but stopped. The only one I keep harping on is my best friend. I told him yesterday that "I am going to keep pestering you on this and I don't care if you get tired of hearing it from me." If it comes down to it I'll just tell him to give me money and I'll go out and buy stuff. We will end up pulling our resources anyway.  Today he mentioned the Iraqi girl case that he read on the internet. So now he's thinking. My family lives across country and are used to prepping for hurricanes and I turned them onto the Oprah episode. I can't be as forceful with others so everyone else is on their own. And like so many have mentioned I don't want people knowing what I have. It could get ugly.
"Prepping is Power"!
advanced Member
advanced Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blackmagicwoman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 30 2006 at 10:08pm
 Hey guys let's  not give up,just casually mention it to people and if they seem the least bit intrested then you give them more information.  If they don't seem open then just back off.  Who knows something might click later just from the seed that you planted in their heads.  We never know when someone will have a light bullb moment. 
Mississippi Mama
willow41 View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote willow41 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 31 2006 at 7:41pm

Hello! I just recently started my preps.  My husband and I are having a hard enough time making sure we'll have enough supplies for our two children, us, and our dog. I've tried to start conversations with our parents and siblings, but no one believes that this will turn into a pandemic.

I've decided to keep our preparations to ourselves. I don't want people to know what I have stored. It could be dangerous knowledge for others to have. You don't want people to panic and remember what you've been saying about your stock of supplies. You don't want to have to forcefully keep people out of your house. Especially if you have children.

I'm not a mean person, but when it comes to my kids they come first.  Before my parents, siblings, etc. We are just not going to allow anyone to stay with us during a true pandemic. During a pandemic, you have no idea how long it will actually last. You also don't know how long you have until the next "wave" will hit. There may not be enough time in between Waves to stock up on more supplies.  Even if you think you have a certain  amount of supplies, they may not actually last that long.  Giving away supplies, even planned "extra" supplies, may be a big mistake. You may end up needing those for your own family.

advanced Member
advanced Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blackmagicwoman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 31 2006 at 8:00pm
 I agree you should keep your plans to your self.  My grandmother always told me not to let the left hand know what the right hand is doing.  after we do our prep.  i will probably spend about $100 on extra for others.  it will be beans, rice, flour ,meal  oil and maybe sugar.  I will put these items in 1 or 2 gallon zip lock bags and hand it out only if necessary because i don't want to draw any attention to myself.  I'm open to suggestions in this area. Please le t know how you will handle the drag as---.
Mississippi Mama
willow41 View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote willow41 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 31 2006 at 8:11pm

I can be very "tell-it-like-it-is", even with immediate family members. They will just have to survive on their own. They are adults. You just have to remain strong and remember that you must take care of your own family first, no matter how bad it gets for others. 

If your spiritual, pray for them. That's the best thing anyone can do for another person. And sometimes it's all that we can do.

Just remember-even handing out small amounts of supplies to a few people will draw attention to your home. You'll just have to use your best judgment during the pandemic, regarding when and if you should give out supplies.

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 01 2006 at 8:10am

My ramble:

I think alot of the posts in this forum are right on target.  My opinion . . .  people who read and have access to news via this forum and other sources have advance knowledge of current events.  I have no idea what percentage of population uses the internet for news.  But I know at least in the area that I live that rural people, farmers, carpenters, the people working outside are not apt to spend alot of time on a computer.  I think age group has alot to do with that as well, my parents care nothing about computer anything.  It looks to me as if regular source news - report almost nothing on BF.  Two choices I guess, either I am overeacting about BF or the news is undereacting and is a dis-service to the common everyday person.  I suppose I am somewhere in between.  But, shouldn't everyday people have the facts put in front of them and then make the choice for what is best for their family?  I know some news has been out there, Oprah - and I read the National Geographic article last October - but the common middle class people that I know at church, work, friends and family do not really have any facts.  I put the National Geographic magazine in the mens room at work.  I bring up the news at lunch a little - but I do not talk about my preps. 

I am buying Ramen to have as a give out - it is dirt cheap.  I think 36 for less than $4.00 at Sams Wholesale.  My neighbors are far apart but most are family.  I love them and would not want to see their kids hungry.  I will be prepared to say, " back away from the door I will put some supplies on the porch, but this is all I have to give you."  In  reality the people where I live have good short term plans just because of the way we live.  If things change for long term we will change with it.  In the future my sister-in-law may learn to like hoeing in the garden.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic