Click to Translate to English Click to Translate to French  Click to Translate to Spanish  Click to Translate to German  Click to Translate to Italian  Click to Translate to Japanese  Click to Translate to Chinese Simplified  Click to Translate to Korean  Click to Translate to Arabic  Click to Translate to Russian  Click to Translate to Portuguese  Click to Translate to Myanmar (Burmese)

PANDEMIC ALERT LEVEL
Forum Home Forum Home > Main Forums > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Tracking the next pandemic: Avian Flu Talk

What will you do to deter looters?

Post Reply Post Reply
Poll Question: Looters are pounding at your door demanding food, what do you do?
Vote Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
1 [1.32%]
7 [9.21%]
1 [1.32%]
1 [1.32%]
1 [1.32%]
4 [5.26%]
0 [0.00%]
60 [78.95%]
1 [1.32%]

Author
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: What will you do to deter looters?
    Posted: January 28 2006 at 6:02pm

What do you think?

Sorry for the confusion.  The first option and the last option are duplicates.  Pick either one. 

Edited by Albert
Corn View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Corn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 28 2006 at 6:38pm
shoot, cook and eat them. preps delivered to your door.
mightymouse View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mightymouse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 28 2006 at 6:58pm
Tell them you just called 911 and if they don't leave asap they will be in big trouble.  (yeah! right)
Nothing matters - Therefore everything matters
Tired View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tired Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 29 2006 at 9:29am
I will make fake quarantine signs saying:

"Family infected with flu...DO NOT ENTER"

If they still decide to enter...then they will come in and have to answer to my husband's katana blade collection. Have you ever seen Kill Bill....THOSE types of swords.....

Better to be safe than sorry....
koolsteve View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koolsteve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 29 2006 at 3:18pm
katana blade? they have guns!   but u could hide in a closet and then when u see there shadow go by under the door u can jump out and cut ofthere head!

Im looking into buyig a paintball gun or geeting one for my birthday (april) but thats assuming its not here yet. Its about th closet thing my parents would let me have to a gun, plus a shot to the balls wouldnt tickle.
ninjas rule
jackson View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jackson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 29 2006 at 3:34pm
Paintball guns can very painful, esp if shot at close range. My brother and his friends had paintball guns and ended up with HUGE welts and bruises over all over.

I don't have a gun yet either. But I am thinking of getting one very soon (thanks to the helpful advice from this forum I now know what kind who be gun to buy!)  i also have pepperspray but it wouldn't hurt to get more.

I just think that SOME form of weapon or means of protection (whether it is a gun, pepperspray, a knife or even a paintball or BB gun) is better than no protection at all.  Anything that can give you some time just to run away (if you absolutely have to) is useful.

Just be careful with a paintball gun, Koolsteve, because they can be very dangerous.

Edited by jackson
koolsteve View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koolsteve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 29 2006 at 3:47pm

Edited by koolsteve
ninjas rule
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 29 2006 at 6:26pm

Until last week I would of posted how I did not plan to own a gun but now I realize when it comes to my child I have no choice.   It will be  locked up in a safe.  

If you plan on posting a quarantine  sign I agree LOok for a copy of a real looking quarintine sign .

but everyone will have them.  Plan to plant some signs of sickness .    A note to to a nurse posted on the door  discribing symptems .

a  pail of used tissue( fake) even fake bandages with fake blood left on the doorstepin in a pail  with a sign saying used medical waste.  No one will look to closly at them.

Use your imagination.  The real truth to looters is they will look for houses that look easy, to rob a dog will discourage them, signs of illness may cause the

looters a reason to pass your house

In for a penny in for a pound

Edited by RBARNES55
swankyc View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote swankyc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 29 2006 at 6:58pm

Quote Plan to plant some signs of sickness .    A note to to a nurse  a pail of used tissue even fake bandages with blood left on the doorstep.  with a sign saying used medical waste.   In for a penny in for a pound

Interesting....Disgusting, but interesting.  Good ideas but I'm wondering what sort of pestilence blood and phlegm coated tissue would bring.

Edited by swankyc
I'm not afraid, I'm paranoid. Dont talk too loud, they are listening.
Corn View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Corn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 29 2006 at 8:21pm
The sign reads..."Organ Donors Welcome"
Spoon View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Spoon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 29 2006 at 8:23pm

I'm not sure if this is under the right topic, but early warning is important, depending on where you live.

A few suggestions: 

• Outdoor, battery-powered, motion detectors that link wirelessly back to a chime, about $12 at LTD Commodities 
  • Battery-powered door/window alarms (Walmart, 8-Pack, $6)

A shotgun, and no surprises, is how I plan to protect my family and home.

swankyc View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote swankyc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 30 2006 at 6:59am
Hey, that LTD commodities link is spot on.  I've been looking for a low cost "trespasser" alert.
Proudest Monkey View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Proudest Monkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 30 2006 at 8:11am

If looters can get past my two not-so-friendly dogs, then I will be really impressed! My dogs will stall any intruder long enough for me to grab my weapon.
chefmom View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chefmom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 01 2006 at 10:04am

Would love to buy a gun but can't have one in the house because of my husband (long boring legal story!). I'm wondering what else I could use. I'm good with a bow & arrow...will that help? Pepper spray?

I was thinking of the quarintine signs and wondered if people were desperate and they were out looting, they may just ignore the quarintine sign & shoot the "sick" people. Any thoughts?

I really wish I had a gun!

May God protect us all.       
swankyc View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote swankyc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 01 2006 at 10:58am
The assassin in Austin Powers used a shoe pretty well.  In James Bond, it was a hat.  You could try that.  lol  Im just teasin a little.
bruss01 View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bruss01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 01 2006 at 11:28am

Chefmom,

A bow and arrow sounds like an option, if you can keep sufficient arrows on hand.  This gives you the ability to strike at a distance rather than waiting until harm is within arm's reach.  Either a longbow or a crossbow could turn out to be useful.  A desperate or determined person is likely to not drop immediately upon being hit with an arrow, so have follow-up tactics planned in advance.

A ball bat is an option - have one for every person in the household large enough to wield one effectively.  Pepper spray too.  May I recommend Fox Labs Pepper Spray?  This stuff is more than a deterrent, it's literally debilitating.

Anyone who can have a firearm (or several) is wise to do so, in my opinion.  For those who can't (for whatever reason) here is a thought to ponder:

The lesson the porcupine teaches is that you don't have to be strong enough to defeat a predator to avoid being that predator's lunch. It suffices to be an expensive meal. Predators tend not to dine on porcupines because a serving of porcupine tends not to be worth the mouthful of quill that it costs.     - John T. Kennedy

Edited by bruss01
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 01 2006 at 11:54am

Chefmom,

You never need a gun until you really need it.  I wonder if you could buy a gun and keep it elsewhere and retrieve it if events unfold to a point that it is obvious that you need a weapon.  I would think at that point in time it would not matter.  

Other than bruss01 comments - Would air rifles be considered a gun where you live?  There are some very powerful ones available -  that will take small game.  This adds some versatility in a true survival mode. 

bruss01 View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bruss01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 01 2006 at 12:08pm

Another thought:

What if you could have a firearm that wasn't a firearm?

What kind of doublespeak is this?  Legal mumbo jumbo, of course - but it provides a loophole in federal law for anyone prohibited from firearms ownership.

Antique guns, if they are old enough, are exempt from the federal definition of "firearm".  Please study this data for details.  You have to be careful, and know exactly what you are doing, but if you do - this is 100% legal.  Please note that this is federal law - you will have to research the state law for your state of residence (and any state to which you would take the firearm in question) to avoid runninng afoul of any state laws.  Most state firearm definitions are similar to the the federal one, but do your homework and be on the safe side.  Consulting an attorney well versed in firearms law is recommended.  Avian flu will be a lot harder to survive in prison, methinks.

Edited by bruss01
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 01 2006 at 10:31pm
10 DAYS INTO AVIAN FLU IN USA

BULLET SHELLS LITTER MY FRONT PORCH DOORSTEP

SIGN ON FRONT DOOR READS

NEVERMIND THE DOG
               BEWARE OF GUN OWNER

MK
jackson View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jackson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 01 2006 at 10:32pm
LOL!! that is great mary kay 
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 01 2006 at 11:09pm
Thank you Jackson.

I'm going to write it on well used target paper.

seeing is believing.

Chefmom, Hmmmmm, I'm wondering why you can't have one, not that I'm asking, perhaps your husband can't but it is a right to bear arms. They can forbid you from a handgun but not a shotgun or rifle. There are also tazers out there for $550.00.
Verrry effective, then cuff their hands and ankles, and call police.
You can try the fake sign thing, get an ADT sign, then get some used target paper from a local gun shop and write a warning.
Criminals are dumb, but they're not stupid.....I think they'll go to a more criminal friendly house.

Perhaps a family member will ask you to watch one of their guns for them.

When all hell breaks lose,and crime is rampant, no one is going to ask if you have a permit.

MK
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic