Click to Translate to English Click to Translate to French  Click to Translate to Spanish  Click to Translate to German  Click to Translate to Italian  Click to Translate to Japanese  Click to Translate to Chinese Simplified  Click to Translate to Korean  Click to Translate to Arabic  Click to Translate to Russian  Click to Translate to Portuguese  Click to Translate to Myanmar (Burmese)

PANDEMIC ALERT LEVEL
Forum Home Forum Home > Pandemic Prepping Forums > General Prepping Tips
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Tracking the next pandemic: Avian Flu Talk

Would you believe this one?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
infoispower View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote infoispower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Would you believe this one?
    Posted: June 17 2006 at 10:28pm
Sir:
In anwser to your inquiry about my credentials:  I am a physician.

I would like to respond to several of your comments:

1.     The shower gray waste water is pumped through a filtration           system into a waste water holding tank.

2.     I feel America's unsung hero's are our firemen, policemen, first responders, flight attendants and volunteers along with all others who put themselves in harms way.

3.     I was disheartened  when you  remarked that I have a disparaging regard for these unsung American heros perhaps such as yourself.

Hopefully this response will eleviate your concerns and diffuse your anger. Enjoy your evening.
infoispower
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 17 2006 at 8:13pm

Infoispower:

I'm curious -- are you a DO, MD, PhD? 

Regarding the smartroom -- what do you do with all that contaminated shower water? Going thru a shower in/'out of a sick room (or in/out of the house) would result in a lot of shower water.

For your information - I have been at more hazmat incidents than I care to remember and have gone thru decontamination MULTIPLE times.    Your comment of "There is some confusion as to how a trained fireman would deal with a Hazmat decontamination system which requires a mass wash down of the individual and his or her clothing at one time" is absolute nonsense and makes me question your credentials. 

Decontamination at a hazmat incident is carried out by the Fire Department. They train and practice it routinely.  As for clothing - you just strip down, they grab it with tongs and put it in a plastic bag and you never see it again.  They do hand you a disposable blanket as you exit the orange zone for modesty. 

As for your comment regarding ICU's with decontamination units.  I've never seen an ICU with one yet.  What hospital has this?  I thought that Decon. is universally carried out in a sep. area of the ER so that the pt does not contaminate staff and the facility itself.  Again, please educate us.

PS -- Do not disparage Emergency Services.  Most of these folks put their lives on the line on a daily basis.  One day your life may depend on a fireman / cop / ems staffer.  The money they make (assuming they are not one of the thousands of unpaid volunteers in this country) does not remotely compensate them for their risks and the off-hours they use for training - which is FAR in excess of a physician's 50 hours/year.  To the rest of the forum I apologize for the venting response.  This so-called "doctor" has pushed every button I have. -- K.

Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote infoispower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 17 2006 at 7:15pm

Your correct.  I am biased.  I've been researching the product, and have started the process of  purchasing a system.  This product  is a welcome addition to the pandemic plans I'm making on a personal and professional basis.  If I have been incorrect in discussing this product in a positive light in this particular format then I  graciously apologise.

infoispower
VtDoc View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VtDoc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 17 2006 at 6:10pm
 Wow, Dr infoispower, sounds like a great unbiased opinion by someone with no personal stake or involvement in the product.  It's nice that you joined this site just in time for your first post ever to be about this new product. Ermm
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote infoispower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 17 2006 at 5:18pm
I beg to differ.  As a doctor with many years experience working in ICU that contained decontamination units and after thoroughly checking this product out my opinion is "this decontamination system has great value as a first line defense against the Avian Flu virus."  There is some confusion as to how a trained fireman would deal with a Hazmat decontamination system which requires a mass wash down of the individual and his or her clothing at one time.  The subject smartroom decontamination unit is used in an entirely different manner.  The individual using this product as a safe room would enter the first airlock chamber, undress and put his or her clothes in a sealed decontamination bag.  Then proceed into the shower airlock chamber number two for a complete wash down.  Next the individual would proceed into airlock number three where clean clothing is prestored, dry off, dress and enter the saferoom.
At a time like this, it would be a great injustice for the value of a product like this to be misunderstood especially without research.
infoispower
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 14 2006 at 7:13pm

Are you folks really considering this?

If anyone's a fireman who has had hazmat training they can tell you about decontamination hot zones / orange zones / green zones.  Not to mention are you really going to subject all your outside clothing (including shoes/boots) to a shower then walk into your living room soaking wet? 

This is an attempt to sep. frightened folks from their money.  It gives a false sense of security at best.  Please put the money into better preparations than this. 

I posted it since I thought folks would get a chuckle out of it.  Never in my wildest fantasy did I think people would buy into what they are selling.  It's simple not appropriate in this case.

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 14 2006 at 6:40pm
Ok I need to win the lottery to buy that...

It's not a bad idea....Wink
torres93 View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote torres93 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 14 2006 at 4:29pm
    well a little ridiculous but if it works, it may be the only solution to bird flu until a vaccine is developed
alex^_^
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 08 2006 at 7:41pm
Everybody trying to make a buck.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 08 2006 at 7:26pm
Hi,

I found this on the net this evening and just shook my head in disbelief.  I'll let you discover it for yourself:

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic