Click to Translate to English Click to Translate to French  Click to Translate to Spanish  Click to Translate to German  Click to Translate to Italian  Click to Translate to Japanese  Click to Translate to Chinese Simplified  Click to Translate to Korean  Click to Translate to Arabic  Click to Translate to Russian  Click to Translate to Portuguese  Click to Translate to Myanmar (Burmese)

PANDEMIC ALERT LEVEL
Forum Home Forum Home > Main Forums > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Now tracking the new emerging South Africa Omicron Variant

What Plans Have You Made for Water

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ImmuneConcerned Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 13 2006 at 8:28am
Two recent purchases for for small, portable, easy to use ($100 - $150) water purifing products which I recently purchased on the net are:

MIOX PURIFIER  Works by "creating brine out of untreaated fresh water & salt, then passing a small electrical charge through the solution, which resultss in a powerful dosse of mixed oxidants (MIOX).  This 'cocktail' is poured into untreated water, inactivating all viruses, bacterial,glardia, cryptosporidum (which even iodine doesn't kill), and leaving you with safe purified water."   All required that is required to use what seems to be this indestructable device salt in any form, water & sunshine.  The marines use it so I thought it would be good to have on hand in case we need to end up using lake water . . . .

SteriPen which "uses short wave germicidal UV light to disinfect waater . . . destroy the DNA within bacterial, viruses . . . ."   This seemed like a good way to make sure questionable (yet relatively clear) water is free of viruses.  It uses baateries & the UV tube (which is suppose to last a while.)  

Kr105 from this forum says there is a cheeper way to obtain something like a steripen.  He says:  The SteriPen is a great idea but way overpriced!  I purchased a flourescent light from Walmart $15 then went to  TopBulb.com and purchased the germicidal bulb to go in it $20.  I now have a large uv/germicidal lamp that I turn on once a week for 30 mins in my water storage area.  Make sure you purchase the right size bulb for the lamp (both pin size and length.)  By the way, this only works if your containers are regular water bottles and the light can get thru to the water."

ImmuneConcerned
Mississipp Mama View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mississipp Mama Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 13 2006 at 9:02pm
  Well everybody,I ifinally got my manual well installed Sat.  I went out today to test the well, had to wait a couple of days for the conrete slab to dry arounf it.  Guess what I need to take weight lifting classes, no kidding.  We will be in serious trouble if I don't develop the strength to pump this thing if my husband gets sick.  So off to the gym I go.  I'm hope it gets easier as it gets broken in.  Still glad to have it.  At least it looks good.  I like the color it hunter green.
July View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote July Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 14 2006 at 5:21am
Originally posted by ImmuneConcerned ImmuneConcerned wrote:

Researching ways to get water up from a well when power is off, I found the following quotes on this forum.  (I am not sure where all come from but I think at least some is from the solar thread--there is a lot  good information there.)

If your well is a deep well:

"found a company that makes a stainless steel hand pumped unit that can be installed next to your regular well casing and will pump water from as far down as 300 feet...even can pump up the pressure in you regular tank so the water will come out the faucets in your house...I was amazed but its expensive...almost 900 dollars

http://www.survivalunlimited.com/waterpumps.htm

It may be pricey but how much are you going to spend on bottled water. water containers, etc. at least with this you know you can get water no matter what/when the emergency.

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 14 2006 at 8:22pm

Don't forget to fill the washing machine.  Check bath tub drain plugs now to be sure the seal will hold water long term.

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 14 2006 at 8:40pm
Originally posted by BoJingles BoJingles wrote:

I plan on raiding my neighbors homes for water. Okay, just kidding! I really dont think we will have a water crisis. Im sure states will mandate that utility workers show up for work. They will be the front lines along with medical workers to receive protective equipment and viral shots. I would be more concerned with power lines going down during the winter months from ice or storms. You could be without power and heat for days.

If you lose power for more than five days the water sanitation is down. They go hand in hand , it might only be three days before the water is no longer safe to drink. What I expect is that it could be staggered power outages and delays in repairs lines.

fc17 View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fc17 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 14 2006 at 8:52pm
I have my preps in the basement and run a dehumidifier near the prep shelves.  Every day I empty out 1-2 gallons from the holding tank of the dehumidifier.  Now the electricity would have to be on for this to work but I was thinking that a dehumidifier might be a good source for water.

Problem is I don't know if the water from the dehumidifier would be pure.  
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 14 2006 at 9:34pm
I have 6/55 gallon drums
70/1 gallon bottles of water
20/1 gallon bottles for cleaning
10/24 pks small bottles
20x4 ft. pool
2/55 gallon drums cut for rain water

NEVER enough water................Confused
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 14 2006 at 9:38pm
Originally posted by Deanna Deanna wrote:

[QUOTE=BoJingles] I plan on raiding my neighbors homes for water. Okay, just kidding! I really dont think we will have a water crisis. Im sure states will mandate that utility workers show up for work. They will be the front lines along with medical workers to receive protective equipment and viral shots. I would be more concerned with power lines going down during the winter months from ice or storms. You could be without power and heat for days.

PLEASE check with your water company...most only keep a 5 day supply of chemicals for water treatment.  Sick truck drivers....no chemicals....... equals unsafe water

Someone mentioned adding bleach to water storages????  If you water is already treated you do not need to do this.

nettie4263 View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nettie4263 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 15 2006 at 6:49am
Originally posted by fc17 fc17 wrote:

I have my preps in the basement and run a dehumidifier near the prep shelves.  Every day I empty out 1-2 gallons from the holding tank of the dehumidifier.  Now the electricity would have to be on for this to work but I was thinking that a dehumidifier might be a good source for water.

Problem is I don't know if the water from the dehumidifier would be pure.  

I believe water from a dehumidifer is pure/distilled.  Don't quote me on that, but that's what I seem to remember hearing.
Evangeline View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Evangeline Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 15 2006 at 12:35pm
I am a biologist studying (amongst other things) the avian bird flu. There is an excellent video on my website for the forum readers pertaining to safety, handling and the virus itself. This is solid basic information all families should be aware of before the Avian Virus comes to America. And yes, I mean WHEN it comes.
Evangeline Siri B.Sc
Webster University, Thailand
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 15 2006 at 3:48pm
I'm going to increase water storage some, but I also live near a river, and could decontaminate that.  Then there is rainwater; perhaps I'll get a barrel with filtration unit to fill off the drain pipes.  Some might want to make solar water collectors.  You could dig a hole, cover with a clear plastic sheet weighted in the center with a rock, water condensing would drip into a collecting vessel in the hole.  Cumbersome and slow but would not run out (sorry if you are in a desert area).
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 20 2006 at 5:32am
Pakistani water war ends after 14 killed
20 Jun 2006 11:45:12 GMT
Source: Reuters

< = ="/bin/js/article.js">
< id=CurrentSize = value=13 name=CurrentSize> (Updates death toll, clashes over)

PARACHINAR, Pakistan, June 20 (Reuters) - Bloody clashes between rival Pakistani villagers over scarce water supplies ended on Tuesday when troops were sent to restore order in the region on the Afghan border after 14 people were killed.

Pakistan faces a serious water shortage this year after light rain and snow over the winter. Water rights are a divisive issue in many parts of the country but the clashes in the Kurrum region were the most serious this year over the resource.

Violence erupted on Monday when people of one clan tried to divert water from an irrigation canal to their fields and men from another clan resisted.

The rivals battled with rifles, mortars and rocket-propelled grenades, said the region's administrator, Mohammad Salim Khan.

The government said 14 people had been killed and 35 wounded. A military official who declined to be identified said 22 people had been killed.

"There's a lull now and the tribesmen have started withdrawing from their positions on the mountains," Khan told Reuters.

The ethnic Pashtun communities that lie on both sides of the Pakistani-Afghan border have been traditionally well-armed.

Pakistan has about one fifth less water this year than normal, said an official at the Indus River System Authority, and several crops including rice have been hit hard.

But shortages are only expected to get worse as populations and demand grow. Analysts say water disputes will become more common, not only within communities but between countries.

Pakistan is already in dispute with India over rivers that begin in Indian mountains and flow into Pakistan, and is nervous about possible Afghan plans to dam rivers that flow into Pakistan.

AlertNet news is provided by

HoosierMom View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HoosierMom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 20 2006 at 5:56am
Has anyone ordered calcium hypoch. online, is this a chemical that can legally be shipped?  Sorry if this is a stupid question..Stern Smile
Eagles Dancing View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eagles Dancing Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 20 2006 at 6:05am

We have the old fashion spring feed well with a hand pump.

My concerns are that the surface water that sometimes runs into the well when we have a big "toad stranger" rain will bring in the virus.

So I plan to boil the water to be sure we are not consuming anything bad.

Springs are all over our farm so we are very blessed with water.  We also have one pond and a lake to get water from if needed.

As for me and my house, we shall trust the Lord.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 20 2006 at 9:26am
We have a well, but it went dry for a year afew years back during a draught. So, I will not count on it. I have acumulated 16 of 55 gallon food grade barrels and ordered 2 of 35 gallon barrels. We don't live too far from a river (YUK) so in a pinch, we could get water there. I have dry shock put away for later use, when bleach has expired.

Edited to add that I purchased a kids pool 10' x 16" on clearance for $7.00 to put out for rain water to wash clothing and what not also.
redcloud View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote redcloud Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 20 2006 at 10:30am
Originally posted by HoosierMom HoosierMom wrote:

Has anyone ordered calcium hypoch. online, is this a chemical that can legally be shipped?  Sorry if this is a stupid question..[IMG]height=17 alt="Stern Smile" src="http://avianflutalk.com/smileys/smiley22.gif" width=17 align=absMiddle>

Not a stupid question!

I bought mine at the local spa dealer. It can probably only be shipped via UPS ground.

Red

If all is not lost, where is it?
pugmom View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pugmom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 20 2006 at 10:38am
we're on community water tank--22,000 gallons that supplies about 30 users.  Also have a 1,500 gallon holding tank on our property.  Our holding tank works on gravity, so we are set.  
jpc
redcloud View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote redcloud Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 20 2006 at 10:46am
Originally posted by pugmom pugmom wrote:

we're on community water tank--22,000 gallons that supplies about 30 users.  Also have a 1,500 gallon holding tank on our property.  Our holding tank works on gravity, so we are set.  

That's 733 gallons per person. Do your neighbors have a good concept of water conservation? Is the tank always full?

If all is not lost, where is it?
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 20 2006 at 11:39am
Originally posted by HoosierMom HoosierMom wrote:

Has anyone ordered calcium hypoch. online, is this a chemical that can legally be shipped?  Sorry if this is a stupid question..Stern Smile

hoosiermom,
I had to go to a pool store, the spa people just laughed at me " we don't sell that because it doesn't go in spas. If it is a spa & pool supply, they may have it. I bought two 1 lb packages. I hope it's the right stuff as it says 65% calcium hypochlorite and 35% other. It doesnt say algeacides tho.
2ifbyC View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 2ifbyC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 20 2006 at 12:45pm
Originally posted by jo007athome jo007athome wrote:

I hope it's the right stuff as it says 65% calcium hypochlorite and 35% other. It doesnt say algeacides tho.

You're 'good to go'! Thumbs Up
Survival does have an 'I'!

Dodging 'canes on Florida's central Gulf Coast
HoosierMom View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HoosierMom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 20 2006 at 12:53pm
Ok so if the calcium hypo = 65%  or higher and other ingred.=35% or greater ( obviously = 100%) and it does not say anything else about algecides that is what we need to make up the liquid mix to treat h2o with ?  I have looked at the label and wasnt sure... What do you think the "other ingred" are-maybe stabilizers or something?  Thanks all sorry I wanted  this spelled out to me.Smile
2ifbyC View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 2ifbyC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 20 2006 at 4:37pm
The 35% is inert.

You first make a stock clorine solution. Then you use the SCS to disinfect your drinking water.

"Granular Calcium Hypochlorite. Add and dissolve one heaping teaspoon of high-test granular calcium hypochlorite (approximately 1/4 ounce) for each two gallons of water. The mixture will produce a stock chlorine solution of approximately 500 mg/L, since the calcium hypochlorite has an available chlorine equal to ~70 percent of its weight.

To disinfect water, add the stock chlorine solution in the ratio of one part of chlorine solution to each 100 parts of water to be treated. This is roughly equal to adding 1 pint (16 oz.) of stock chlorine to each 12.5 gallons of water to be disinfected."

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 20 2006 at 4:58pm
So, if my math isn't too bad, about 1 1/4 gal of scs to 55 gallons water to make potable?
2ifbyC View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 2ifbyC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 20 2006 at 5:48pm
1 scs to 100 water

55 gal water / 100 = .55 gal scs

So a heaping tablespoon of calcium hypoclorite will make two gallons of scs which will treat almost 400 gallons of water! Clap That's why I bought only 10 pounds of CH. Wink

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 20 2006 at 6:39pm
Originally posted by 2ifbyC 2ifbyC wrote:

1 scs to 100 water

55 gal water / 100 = .55 gal scs

So a heaping tablespoon of calcium hypoclorite will make two gallons of scs which will treat almost 400 gallons of water! Clap That's why I bought only 10 pounds of CH. Wink

You are awesome!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic