Click to Translate to English Click to Translate to French  Click to Translate to Spanish  Click to Translate to German  Click to Translate to Italian  Click to Translate to Japanese  Click to Translate to Chinese Simplified  Click to Translate to Korean  Click to Translate to Arabic  Click to Translate to Russian  Click to Translate to Portuguese  Click to Translate to Myanmar (Burmese)

PANDEMIC ALERT LEVEL
Forum Home Forum Home > Main Forums > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Tracking the next pandemic: Avian Flu Talk

Tamiflu

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Tamiflu
    Posted: January 29 2006 at 2:45pm

I’m just going to ramble for a minute about Tamiflu.

This is just my own opinion, but obtaining Tamiflu is crucial for people right now, especially since it has been proven to be affective. Should an H5N1 pandemic begin, and should you contract it, you will most likely not survive without at least 150 mg of Tamiflu per dose (that’s two packets).   This type of influenza is very lethal and I don’t believe it will be possible to just ride it out if you get it.  I don’t know if it’s survivable without antivirals.   So far, the death rate that we have seen for “untreated clusters” is near 100%.    

When I called my physician, he already new that the dosage of Tamiflu for treating the avian flu had now doubled and that it requires 150 mg per dose.  He had no problem prescribing the other course.

If you want to get Tamiflu from your physician (or from any clinic), simply tell them that you’re going on a vacation to Turkey next week.  Watch how fast you get it. lol.   Doctors are obligated to protect you so try that one!    

Also, if a physician knows that you are educated in this matter (pandemic threat), you will get it.  Tell them that you belong to a big forum and we are all making a list of all doctors that refuse to prescribe it – And then we’re going to post it on the forum lol.   Get creative, but get it asap!   

jackson View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jackson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 29 2006 at 2:56pm
Has anyone had any problems getting Tamiflu?? My  doctor seemed very reluctant to prescribe it and i have a feeling it would be even harder to get now. I was even told things like "you shouldn't worry about bird flu now" and that the "govt has medications stockpiled and would allocate it if necessary".  He made me feel like i was over reacting to this.

maybe it was just that doctor and if i go to another doctor, it will be different.
( i would like to have enough for 150mg dose)
Millie Jackson

Edited by jackson
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 29 2006 at 2:58pm
Millie,  tell your doctor that you are going to Turkey next  month on a vacation so you need to get Tamiflu.  
koolsteve View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koolsteve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 29 2006 at 11:41pm
do u think someone from california can convine a doctor that  his entire family is going to earoupe or somthing? where is the deisease and  how would we get it?

Edited by koolsteve
ninjas rule
Rocky View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rocky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 30 2006 at 10:21am
Here is my personal experience with this dilemma. I had to keep asking
for a Rx from my fairly long list of doctors I have seen over the years. All
said no except one. It was very difficult to get a prescription for myself,
let alone one with enough refills to do my family any good.

Until I did find a doctor who either just wanted to keep me happy or
possibly felt it was a reasonable thing to do (altho' I have yet to find a
medical person to officially tell me it was), I bit the bullet and paid from
$100-125US per 10 dosage package to a Canadian online business (this
included a $25 charge for a Canadian doctor to approve my order).

Buying online, I was given the OK for one order and one refill (you don't
pay the the $25 charge again when you buy the refill). So my cost for the
first package was $125 and the second about $100. This was a couple of
months ago, just before most of the online places stopped filling orders
for Tamiflu, whether you had a Rx or not. And since my online experience
was a while back, I don't know how current my info is.

I believe there are a few online Canadian places filling orders once again,
but you need to do a lot of searching to find them. If you CAN obtain a
US Rx, you can buy from a US online business or from a regular
pharmacy. That being said, I would strongly recommend buying at a
Costco, local pharmacy etc. because you will be dealing with a brick and
mortar pharmacy and you probably won't find a better price online.

Since I own an online business and have made many purchases for our
family online, I have a lot of trust in most online businesses. But in this
particular situation, I would suggest buying in person if possible.

If you CAN'T get a Rx, then I sure would try a Canadian online company. If
you can possibly cover the high cost, my feeling is it is so much better
doing it that way than not trying at all. I feel the online drug company I
did business with sent me a valid drug, but there are no guarantees. I just
went with my gut instinct. And of course we don't know if there will be a
pandemic, if Tamiflu would be effective, etc etc.

The entire process is so unfair and this "wall of silence" from what
seems to me the entire US medical system is so wrong, IMHO. I'm not a
conspiracy kind of person, but I smell so many rats in so many high
places it is hard for me to take anything for truth or reality anymore.

With a US Rx (hopefully with as many refills as you can talk your doctor
into) I find I can get a package (always one at a time) about every 2-3
weeks at a discount pharmacy near me. I have found the lowest cost to
be about $60US. If you are lucky enough to have insurance for medical/
drug coverage, your insurance might pay for 1 order, and possibly one
refill.

Hope this helps. Good luck and keep trying.

Rocky

Prepare for the Unexpected!
Rocky
http://www.homeemergencyusa.com
koolsteve View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koolsteve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 30 2006 at 5:20pm
how much would we need for a four person family
( a lot)
ninjas rule
blackmagicwoman View Drop Down
advanced Member
advanced Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blackmagicwoman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 30 2006 at 10:18pm
  Hey guys i went to see the ear doctor today.  I casually asked what he thought about the bird flu.  He said i'm concerned about it and i give all my patients a prescription for tamiflu if they ask.  I was surprised, but   quickly    composed myself and and asked for a prescription for me and hubby. 
Mississippi Mama
jackson View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jackson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 31 2006 at 11:21pm
I thought I posted this on a thread already but I had a slight computer problem so I don't know if it worked or not. And I can't find where I thought I had typed it at ,  So I'll repost what I had written (sorry again if it is a repeat of what I  or someone else wrote):

If people are having difficulty getting an extra dose of Tamiflu, they might consider using the drug, Probenecid, which will decrease the excretion of Tamiflu from the body. This would increase  the levels of Tamiflu in the body , and increased levels of Tamiflu  may help solve the problem of only having  75mg dosage (instead of the 150 mg dosage now recommended).  I know the Probenecid will also increase the level of other drugs as well, including antibiotics such as Penicillin or cephalosporins, and drugs such as Methotrexate (which is sometimes used in treatments for diseases such as cancer, psoriasis, or rheumatoid arthritis) so make sure you talk to you doctor about any other medications you might be taking at the same time.
 This medicine is normally used to treat gout. I guess you would need to be honest with your doctor about why you need the medicine-- because I don't know what else you'd tell your doctor you would need it for (unless you really do have gout).

Again, sorry if this post repeats info already given on this site!!!! or if it's a repeat of what i wrote somewhere else

Millie Jackson

Edited by jackson
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic