Click to Translate to English Click to Translate to French  Click to Translate to Spanish  Click to Translate to German  Click to Translate to Italian  Click to Translate to Japanese  Click to Translate to Chinese Simplified  Click to Translate to Korean  Click to Translate to Arabic  Click to Translate to Russian  Click to Translate to Portuguese  Click to Translate to Myanmar (Burmese)

PANDEMIC ALERT LEVEL
Forum Home Forum Home > Coronavirus Pandemic: Prepping Forums > General Prepping Tips
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Now tracking the new emerging South Africa Omicron Variant

FOOD

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
Author
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: FOOD
    Posted: January 29 2006 at 4:29pm

Important information regarding food.

Ideas about what to purchase for pandemic supplies.

How to Store.

Tips on sources.

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 29 2006 at 5:57pm

Originally posted by marjo:

My favorite tool (need MS Excel) is a Food Storage Planner that can be downloaded for free (in US and Metric versions) - it is more than just food and is completely customizable (not "protected") for your family size, # of months for storage, etc. The calculations are done automatically making it easy to inventory, shop and track needs.

This link is for the downloadable program mentioned above: http://standeyo.com/News_Files/FTP_Files/DFPlanImp.zip (US Version)
http://standeyo.com/News_Files/FTP_Files/DFPlanMet.zip (Metric Version)

I have been using it myself for a long time now and I think it is great!

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 29 2006 at 6:04pm

Originally posted by wannago:

Hi, I am an ex-cruiser (sailboat) and when we bought the huge bags of rice, cornmeal and flour, we "decanted" these into smaller ziplock bags (double layer) and lost only a very few to weavils and other bugs.  It was recommended we zap the bags in the microwave for a second or two which also kills anything still living in the drygoods, but we didn't have one.

We carried enough drygoods to last 2 of us 2 years.  This was on a 38ft boat with limited storage space.  Canned butter (yummy), canned bacon and New Zealand powdered milk were really appreciated.  Dried eggs were great for baking and crisco shortening didn't melt in tropical heat (no refrigerator) so canned chicken pies with reconstituted dried sh*take mushrooms were also on the menu.   Cheese kept under oil or wrapped in an oily cloth, keeps for months without refrigeration. We ate like kings and thoroughly enjoyed being self-sufficient.

Water was caught with a raincatcher, propane gas fuelled our stove .  We used a pressure cooker to conserve fuel usage (this is great for risotto in 5 mins).  Canned goods were dipped in a mix of varnish and thinners to stop the cans going rusty (remove label first) and relabel with something that doesn't rub off!  Creamed corn doesn't quite cut it for dessert  lol.

willow41 View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote willow41 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 02 2006 at 1:39pm

I've been buying lots of canned beef stew, chicken-n-dumplings, ravioli, beefaroni, and ready-to-serve soups. The soups are wonderful and you can get everything from steak and potatoes to turkey pot pie flavors. These things only need to be heated up, and can actually be eaten right out of the can. And they will not tap into your water supply. Of course, we will have rice/vegies/fruit etc. But these canned items will be the main lunch/dinner staples. They are all reasonably priced at Walmart/Meijers, and even cheaper at Aldi's/Save-A-Lot. At least check them out.

Ella Fitzgerald View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ella Fitzgerald Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 02 2006 at 1:53pm

Don't forget some comfort foods like chocolate. Stay away from caffeine because it is a natural diuretic and could make you dehydrated if water is limited to begin with. Also limit salt on food because that just makes you thirsty.

willow41 View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote willow41 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 02 2006 at 4:07pm
where can i find canned butter and cheese, or individual butter packets that can be stored without refrigeration?
mini-mouse View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mini-mouse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 02 2006 at 8:02pm
ShophiaZoe, I'm not sure if I'm in the right place for this question but here it is.  At one place you said you have a list prepared for very last minute purchases because you didn't trust your memory - I also have a list  for a last minute shopping scramble for the same reason. When you catch up from this crazy day will you share what is on your list with us? Thanks.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 02 2006 at 8:51pm
sure...maybe that even warrants its own thread.

Edited by SophiaZoe
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ella Fitzgerald Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 03 2006 at 9:52am

I love the Dollar Tree store. I just went this morning and found 5# bags of white enriched rice for $1. They had a bunch of stuff I needed and spent $100 (100 items for $1 each). They had bags of beans, canned goods, cleaning supplies, paper products, batteries etc.

I thought Wal-mart or Sam's clubs were cheap...ha! I plan to go back with my husbands money this weekend.

willow41 View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote willow41 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 03 2006 at 12:54pm

Thank-you, Libby! I reviewed that website last night, but was hesitent to order, never ordered food online before. I will now.

willow41 View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote willow41 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 03 2006 at 1:00pm

do you have to refrigerate the butter once the can is opened?

libbyalex View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote libbyalex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 03 2006 at 2:45pm
Well, it says to refrigerate the butter. However, with regular store butter, I have sometimes just had it out on the counter or on the table in a butter dish. They say the cheese also does better if it's cold, but I think if power was off, it would be fine (if softer) with not refrigerating it. THough the web site also said that they liked the cheese so much that once they opened the can, everyone ate it all! Hope you like it! -- Libby
willow41 View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote willow41 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 03 2006 at 4:04pm

Thanks-Libby

I ordered a can of the butter, cheese, and hamburger to sample. If we like them we'll order a case of each. This website offers several types of canned meat. Cooked hamburger and pork, which I've never thought of. You can use the hamburger, canned butter, powdered milk, and a little  water to make Hamburger Helper meals.

htpp View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote htpp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 04 2006 at 11:20am
What is everyone using/storing to replace eggs?  A lot of recipes call for eggs and that isn't something that can be stored in large quantities and used before the expiration date? 
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ella Fitzgerald Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 04 2006 at 1:00pm

Gosh, my preps take up the whole corner of my bedroom. The sad thing is that I am not done shopping yet.

I've utilized our suitcases to store things in. They are really coming in handy.

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 05 2006 at 9:32pm

One of my major food preps was a large variety of sprouting seeds.  We love sprouts and the will be easy fresh greens until we can bring in a garden.  A large supply doesn't take up an inordinate amount of space and nutrition vs cost vs taste can't be beat.

Sprouts go well with many things, including beans and rice.  Scrambled (dehydrated) eggs and tuna or salmon wraps. 

Hnery Miller View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hnery Miller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 06 2006 at 4:19pm

Hi--I am ready to order food in bulk and wonder if I can get some feedback on what is best between dehydrated--freeze dried--and canned. Suggestions on where to order appreciated also.

Thanks!

Ira
meewee View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote meewee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 06 2006 at 4:45pm

one of the best places to go to get those questions answered is a www.survivalacres.com the guy who runs that business is very helpful and can direct you to make the best possible choices. I don't work for him but have ordered from him and was very pleased with his insight and knowledge!

Meewee

God Bless us all!
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 06 2006 at 8:47pm
zoe...please explain this group buy thingy.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 07 2006 at 8:16am

I am a team member over at AR15,com, the survival forum puts together group buys about every two-three months. I have been in on the last three, very well done.

The prices cannot be beat anywhere 40-60% off retail. Free shipping on orders over $500.00. The people who put the buy together do it for the people in the survival forum, it is not about money to them. The #10 cans have a very long shelf life. I use alot of the 1/2/4 serving pouches. The food is tasty, but of course, high in sodium.

here is the Mountain House website linky http://www.mountainhouse.com/

fritz View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fritz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 07 2006 at 11:58am
Zoe17, What part of the U.S. do you live in. I am in Northern New Jersey and have been looking for a group. At one time I was very interested in working with Walton Feed (www.waltonfeed.com) but they did not have trucks coming to deliver to anyone in this part of the country. Very disappointing for me. To be truthful I have been ordering on my own for so long that I gave up on the idea and I haven't really looked into it lately. I would be curious to know if there is any interest out there for those who are living in the NY,NJ.eastern PA area. Let's Talk. 
"I am only one; but still I am one, I cannot do everything, but still I can do something. I will not refuse to do the something I can do." -- Hellen Keller
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 07 2006 at 12:37pm
I am in the Southeast,sorry.
AuntBones View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AuntBones Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 08 2006 at 10:23am

I have a butter dish,has been on my kitchen counter for years. Comes with a lid,dish for the stick of butter, and the bottom holds water. The idea behind it is, the water from below evaporates keeping the butter fresh.You could use this idea for your tins of butter once opened. Just check the water level every few days. More so in the summer.

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 08 2006 at 1:55pm
I'm sending orders out to NY, PA and NJ all the time.  But I'd like to comment about the trucking and group buys.

Group buys require you to wait until everyone has ordered (usually) and paid their money.  Then the orders go in and you pay whatever the group 'buy' price is.  I have always been able to beat these prices, but don't do group buys very often simply because they are a hassle for all concerned.

Group ordering for freight is similiar, you have to wait until enough people have ordered to either fill up a freight truck or enough orders accumulate to single drop off point (minimum 1,000 lbs) to qualify for freight shipment.

In both cases, you're having to wait on enough people getting on board, which is fine under normal circumstances, but I don't think these are normal circumstances right now.  In fact, I think we are all in dire trouble.

The fastest way is to get people you know to order all at the same time and get a freight shipment going, combining the orders to a single destination point.  A 1,000 lbs is really not a very big order and can easily be "wished for" by a single family (or even an individual), but I acknowledge that it isn't cheap or easy for people to just up and do.  We are just not used to buying food like this in advance.

I would like to caution people on what is happening now with food shipments - at the moment, freight shipments are five weeks out (orders going in now).  This is only going to get worse and worse.  Having survived the Y2K rush, I can tell you that we expect to exceed that demand by a thousand fold - which is really only another way of saying, "forget it".  Once shipment times reach several months (and they will), those who have waited that long to try to stock up will be in a very very, risky position.  This is ill advised in my opinion.

UPS times are not too bad still, 2 - 3 weeks.  We've made a huge amount of progress, but we're working 7 days a week right now (at least I am).  We can't go any faster, and I fully expect these times to increase to what we saw pre-Y2K (10 months or more).

So - you decide what your "pucker factor" is (how long you can wait) before you panic or start to "lose it".  I'm already seeing this now with people wanting it yesterday but ordering tomorrow and getting it next week and still aren't happy.  We really are doing the best we can.

I've been warning those who will hear that the food pipeline is only so big and can only produce just so much.  We "there" right now.  Shipping times are now going to continue to increase as order volume goes up.  Availability of goods is going to do the opposite as manufacturers get tapped out.

This is not something limited to just the canneries.  I've noticed a lack of certain supplies in particular in the major stores.  I can't find a ham for example, to save my life.  Well, yes I did, but I had to drive 30 miles to get it (so I bought more then one).  Same with brown sugar and some other basic staples, Costco was sold out.

I also have heard about the major distribution centers - they are running as fast as they can too.  We're "there" right now and it will be interesting, scary, disturbing, you name it, to see what happens next.  I'm not looking forward to the other shoe dropping.

What is REALLY going to be scary is when sustained H2H makes the news, then all bets are off.  I have heard from many various officials in unconfirmed reports.  I don't think anyone is making a mistake by prepping.  Buy what you eat, eat what you buy.  Don't wait and don't fool around.  It's a cheap insurance policy that you can cash in and probably will.
Trigger View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trigger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 08 2006 at 3:09pm

Thanks Libby:

I just placed an order from the internet grocer.  Nice, got lots of stuff for a great price.

Does anyone have any knowledge where to buy powered mailk and powered eggs that have a good shelf life?

Trigger
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 08 2006 at 3:12pm
Order now to avoid back orders. If and when the media picks up the H2H, wherever it may be, the stores will be depleted quickly.
Trigger View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trigger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 09 2006 at 11:09am

Thank you Spoon.

I found great stuff, including eggs and milk at www.survivalacres.com , at www.internetgrocer.com .  Two great places, one has what the other one does not.  SurvivalAcres is a great guy.  He walked me through all my items and suggested items that were better and some for less money.  He knows his stuff.

Might I suggest the MRE's.  Ready to go meals, very portable, ready to eat and easy to heat if you want too.  One MRE a day has enough calories for one whole day.  Imagine that.  I'll be back to buy more soon. I just have to find a spot for the 300+ pounds of food I purchased yesterday.  It was a great experience.

Thanks again.

Trigger
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 09 2006 at 11:20am
 i cannot order the stuff....i have tried but i am in canadier eeh....
worriedlilchic View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote worriedlilchic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 14 2006 at 12:01pm

I have also found a list of foods to buy to stock up on.  The website is www.planforflu.com

here is the list that is on there but I would encourage you to check out the site...

Emergency Pantry: The List

Baking mixes (Pie crust mix plus canned pie filling =cobbler)
Baking powder
Baking soda
Barley
Bay leaves (delicious in beans, and insects avoid foods like flour with a bay leaf stored inside the bag)
Beans-dry
Bottled drinks and juices (not refrigerated type)
Brown Sugar
Bullion, concentrated broth
Butter flavoring, like Molly McButter. Freeze for storage if you can.
Candy
Canned beans
Canned broth
Canned chicken breast
Canned chili
Canned diced tomatoes, other tomato products, and sauces
Canned French fried onions for green bean casserole
Canned fruit
Canned milk, evaporated milk
Canned pie filling (don't overlook, great item)
Canned pumpkin
Canned Salmon
Canned soups
Canned stew
Canned sweet potatoes
Canned Tuna
Canned veggies
Cans of lemonade mix, other canned dry drink mixes
Cheese dips in jars
Cheese soups, like cheddar, broccoli cheese, and jack cheese
Chinese food ingredients
Chocolate bars
Chocolate chips
Chocolate syrup, strawberry syrup squeeze bottles (about that dry milk, again)
Coffee filters (also for straining silt out of water)
Corn Masa de Harina or corn tortilla mix
Corn meal
Corn starch for thickening
Cream of Wheat
Cream soups (good for flavoring rice & pasta, too)
Crisco
Dried eggs
Dried fruit
Dried onion (big containers at warehouse stores)
Dried soups
Dry cocoa
Dry coffee creamer (big sealed cans, many uses including making dry milk taste better)
Dry milk powder
Dry Mustard
Flour, self rising flour Flour tortilla mix for flour tortillas, wraps, and flatbread
Garlic powder
Granola bars (not great shelf life)
Hard candy
Honey (also reputed to reduce viral load in throat and esophagus)
Hot chocolate mix
Instant coffee if you drink it, or coffee and a manual drip cone or similar
Instant mashed potatoes
Jarred or canned spaghetti sauce
Jarred peppers
Jellies and Jams
Jerky
Ketchup
Kool Aid
Lard, Manteca (good in beans, substitute for bacon or salt pork, tortilla making, many other uses)
Large packages dry pasta, thinner type saves fuel
Marshmallow cream
Marshmallows
Mayo packets from warehouse store, if you must, not really a good value.
Mexican food ingredients
Mustard
Nestle Table Cream (substitute for sour cream, cream, or half-and-half) in lots of ethnic stores, including British)
Nuts (freeze if you have room)
Oatmeal
Oil (Shelf life not great, freeze if you have room)
Olive oil
Olives, green and black
Onion powder
Packaged bread crumbs
Pancake mix, one step, and other mixes that already have the eggs in them
Parmesan
Peanut butter, nut butters
Pepper
Pet food
Pickles, relish (not refrigerator case type)
Powdered sugar
Power bars
Raisins
Ramen
Ravioli or any canned pasta you can stand
Real butter or favorite margarine-keep frozen until disaster if you can. Butter keeps a long time in cool temps)
Rice (cheap and filling)
Salsa and hot sauces (Franks Hot Sauce!)
Salt
Spam or Treet :( !
Spices and herbs your family likes
Stovetop Dressing mix
Sugar
Summer sausage ( cheaper around holidays)
Sweetened condensed milk
Syrups
Tea
Trail mix
Ultra pasteurized milk (expensive)
Vanilla (improves dry milk, too)
Velveeta (watch carton date, freeze for storage if possible)
Vienna sausage
Yeast, if you think you would use it. May be frozen.
Baby food
Pet food

Hope this comes in handy!

worriedlilchic
RotroShaggy View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RotroShaggy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 17 2006 at 6:14pm

Hi everyone.  This is going to sound like a really dumb question at first, but hopefully not.  What is the shelf-life of canned goods?  The reason I ask is because I went shopping today for supplies and the canned goods like canned vegetables, fruit, ravioli, etc.  Said BEST BY OCT. 07 or BEST BY DECEMBER 08.  I was thinking canned goods lasted indefinitely.  I want to be certain before I fill my garage up with cans.

What about pasta?  What is the shelf life of spaghetti?  You can buy a box of it for $0.50 at WalMart.  I want to buy a boatload of it but, again, don't want to have to throw it out or find out that it is stale when it is too late to go back out and stock up again.  Any thoughts?

RotroShaggy
Rocky View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rocky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 18 2006 at 7:01pm
There were some good "egg substitues" mention for baking under the
topic of Powdered Milk. I would recommend reading some of those
postings.

Now, for my terrible experience with powdered whole eggs. I wanted
some brand that could be used for occasional scrambled eggs. I wonder if
there is a brand someone has tasted that was edible. I tried a sample
from one company and it stayed in my mouth about 1 second. It was
horrendously awful. Bleh!!!

Please, if you have actually eaten and mostly enjoyed some scrambled
eggs made from whole powdered eggs, let me know where I might obtain
some.

I am not too picky because I have eaten fresh egg whites as scrambled
eggs (with a little milk) for quite a while.

Many thanks. Rocky

Originally posted by Ella Fitzgerald Ella Fitzgerald wrote:

Gosh, my preps take up the whole corner of
my bedroom. The sad thing is that I am not done shopping yet.

I've utilized our suitcases to store things in. They are really coming in
handy.

Prepare for the Unexpected!
Rocky
http://www.homeemergencyusa.com
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 18 2006 at 7:04pm
You can also freeze milk, until there's no power.  Just make sure to shake it up well after thawing.
libbyalex View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote libbyalex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 18 2006 at 8:44pm
Originally posted by RotroShaggy RotroShaggy wrote:

What is the shelf-life of canned goods?  The reason I ask is because I went shopping today for supplies and the canned goods like canned vegetables, fruit, ravioli, etc.  Said BEST BY OCT. 07 or BEST BY DECEMBER 08.  I was thinking canned goods lasted indefinitely.  I want to be certain before I fill my garage up with cans.

Here is my experience. Maybe others know better. I prepared for y2k. My cans of fruit sort of imploded after awhile (more than 2 years). I just got the last of the gummy mess off my basement shelves.

I've fared better with canned veggies, beans, etc. I'm still using some of them. Canned tuna should be fine too.

Be careful with canned tomatoes. If there's a bulge in the can or a "pop" when you open the can don't use them.

What about pasta?  What is the shelf life of spaghetti?  You can buy a box of it for $0.50 at WalMart.  I want to buy a boatload of it but, again, don't want to have to throw it out or find out that it is stale when it is too late to go back out and stock up again.  Any thoughts?

RE pasta -- again, I have some leftover from y2k days and it is fine. Just store it carefully....

sweets View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sweets Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 20 2006 at 9:00am

Ok being a math dummie is killing me!

Now can anyone help with food storage in a hot humid climate? may-october? Well I saw all the great sites for the food and even a site on storage But worse case is house temperature pushing 80 How could I store food safely?

I'm not a ribbering Jidiot!
www.exaltedshrimp.com
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 20 2006 at 9:19am

Hi I'm from sunny fla 18 years worth.

Store the syuff inside the house. When the power dies it gets hot so I vent the room. We have tile floors and my next option would be put stuff on the floor. As for humidity. I have no clue.  In old old fl, people used the rafters area of the cabin because of the air flow.. These are just practical guesses...I could use the info too.

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 20 2006 at 2:19pm

YEA!!!! the freeze dried eggs arrived!!!! YEA!!! the freeze dried eggs arrived!!!!

......I need a vacation

sweets View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sweets Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 20 2006 at 5:56pm
Tile floors also no rafters no breeze
I'm not a ribbering Jidiot!
www.exaltedshrimp.com
valgard1 View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote valgard1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 20 2006 at 6:26pm
Just my two cents...I think we have reached the stage in history, where we need not have to worry too much about "shelf life" on canned foods, I too stocked up big time for Y2K and except for the pinto beans (now bean rocks) none of the food went to waste, and a lot of it is still in storage ready for use.  Since I have two mechanical grinders, even the beans will be used for refrieds...

Please don't worry about shelf life, just buy what you normally eat, and lots of it in a big hurry.
Do Right and Fear No One
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ella Fitzgerald Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 20 2006 at 6:53pm

I agree valgard1. I am buying mostly canned goods due to my daughters food allergy to wheat. It is more expensive then the survival food that you can buy in bulk. I figure my family will be willing to eat canned food over freeze dried food. It is taking up a lot of space but it will get eaten at some point. The food that will expire first is the dehydrated stuff. I've got everything organized by expiration date anyway.

htpp View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote htpp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 20 2006 at 8:41pm
StormRider, where did you purchase your freeze dried eggs?  Can they be used for baking?
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 21 2006 at 8:33am
It's mountain house brand I will get the supplier. -K
fritz View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fritz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 22 2006 at 8:55am
HI Libby, Your pasta is fine to eat but I would guess that it doesn't contain much nutritional value anymore. Might want to be sure to take the multi vitamins when using it for main food source. Pasta does last for a really really long time but the nutrients fade away. Same w/ flour. That's why people store whole grains instead. They hold their nutrition esp. in nit packed #10 cans....can be up to 25-30yrs plus if storage temp is low.
"I am only one; but still I am one, I cannot do everything, but still I can do something. I will not refuse to do the something I can do." -- Hellen Keller
fritz View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fritz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 22 2006 at 9:02am
aoe17, What part of the country is this shipment being del. to? Should I assume only Florida because that's who you were addressing? Would really like to know. thanx :>}
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 22 2006 at 4:00pm
 Just a little up-date. We did our regular grocery run yesterday and I noticed a definite change: In the bulk-isle there was a line!!! People were definitely buying flour, beans, corn in quantity. Also saw an uptick in the canned vegatables & fruit isles, but not as dramatic. Definite conflict for me: On the one hand I'm glad to see it, on the other I'm afraid I may not get some of the stuff I still need. But, the sooner people are prepping, the better chances we all have for making it thru. Well, we got 125lbs of dry cat food, some more TP, yeast, whole wheat flour, coffee, splenda, summer sausage. I have thee feeling my husband may be coming around. There was no grumbling yesterday and the car was loaded to the hilt!!
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 22 2006 at 4:07pm
I noticed last week, that they were stocking shelves a little heavier than normal must have been 8 or 9 people stocking.  Also noticed lots of cases, Like tomatoe soup, which I hadn't noticed before.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
  Share Topic