Click to Translate to English Click to Translate to French  Click to Translate to Spanish  Click to Translate to German  Click to Translate to Italian  Click to Translate to Japanese  Click to Translate to Chinese Simplified  Click to Translate to Korean  Click to Translate to Arabic  Click to Translate to Russian  Click to Translate to Portuguese  Click to Translate to Myanmar (Burmese)

PANDEMIC ALERT LEVEL
Forum Home Forum Home > Pandemic Prepping Forums > General Prepping Tips
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Tracking the next pandemic: Avian Flu Talk

FOOD

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>
Author
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 22 2006 at 8:02pm
NO,Fritz, the Mountain House is shipped to all states. The food is really good. All you need is boiling water. Or just water, they have flameless heating kits, kinda like a big MRE heater. The group buys we do are shipped all over the states. Try the links I posted for the info.
Mississipp Mama View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mississipp Mama Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 22 2006 at 9:14pm

I would like to get some suggestions on how to store, crackers and cookies for long term.  Right now they are in the boxes and bags that they came in.  Should i just leave them in there?  Thanks guys for your help .

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 22 2006 at 9:34pm
Originally posted by Mississipp Mama Mississipp Mama wrote:

I would like to get some suggestions on how to store, crackers and cookies for long term.  Right now they are in the boxes and bags that they came in.  Should i just leave them in there?  Thanks guys for your help .

Consider putting them in airtight 5 gallon containers, such as available from Nitropak and use oxygen absorbers...

Zanna View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zanna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 23 2006 at 7:33pm

Hi Everybody.  I'm new, but not really.  I've been reading over my husband's shoulder since he joined (Hi Bruss!) and he said that if I'm going to be silly, do it under my own login, not his.    Okay, Honey, whatever.

All this stocking up of foodstuffs got me thinking - what would I be willing to eat if we went through all of our stores?  Bruss will eat anything that doesn't eat him first, provided there's hot sauce.  Me, I'm more of a "picky eater".  

I've had a link bookmarked for a while, just for entertainment's sake, and I'd like to share it with you all in the vein of adding a bit of levity to a serious subject.  So here it is: Steve, Don't Eat It! 

*WARNING* This is not for easily nauseated or squeamish! 

Bon Appetit!

Z~

valgard1 View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote valgard1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 23 2006 at 7:51pm
Dear Zanna, interesting question indeed, all things being equal, if I was starving, I guess I'd eat dog food, and then the dog if I had too.  Suspicious as it appeared, the stuff you mentioned in the link, would be a grand feast indeed!
Do Right and Fear No One
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 23 2006 at 11:43pm
Hi, Zanna. Welcome aboard. Now you can see for yourself all the sweet things your man says about you.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 24 2006 at 12:20pm
Anyone heard of freezing eggs?  I think you poke a pin hole in the egg and then put  them into freezer.   I haven't tried it yet but I will and let you know.
Thomas Angel View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thomas Angel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 24 2006 at 12:53pm
Originally posted by siameselade siameselade wrote:

Anyone heard of freezing eggs?  I think you poke a pin hole in the egg and then put  them into freezer.   I haven't tried it yet but I will and let you know.
Powdered eggs might be an easier proposition, and won't require refrigeration.
I LIKE SCARY RIDES
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 24 2006 at 12:55pm
Hubby is truning his head up on that!  He can be picky.
pola33193 View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pola33193 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 24 2006 at 4:51pm

I freeze the scramble eggs, uncooked , we do a lot of camping so I prepare them with ham, cheese, salt , pepper etc..

my plans are to freeze them scramble in small bags .

pola
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 24 2006 at 4:54pm

Okay thanks Pola, I will do so too.

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 24 2006 at 6:34pm

You can also put an egg into yhe ice-cube container, freeze them and then baggie them. That way you can control your quantity. However, you do have to consider what to do if electricity goes. Personally, I have ordered a #10 can for baking, I will hardboil a couple of dozen for egg or tuna-salad, things like that and maybe two dozen fresh. When Electricity goes, I will hardboil them as well, maybe make us a nice, big, fat omelet with the works.

Made a run to Costco today with my sister-in-law, which was great. She is starting to take this a little more seriously. She is also in better shape than most, she always and forever buys in quantity and has the room to store it, so she won't need all that much to add. but I got a box of the mayo packages, some more batteries, a foodsaver which will get a serious workout in the next few weeks. For comfort though, I got my all-time favorites: 2 large jars of NUTELLA (chocolate & hazelnut spread) and dries Mango from the Phillipines. So good, they make your toes curl!!!!

Mississipp Mama View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mississipp Mama Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 24 2006 at 7:18pm
  Hi Femvet, Where did you order your mangos from?  I would love to get some.  Can you buy the chocolate hazel nut spread from the grocery store.  What section would i find it in.  I would like to try it.  Thanks a bunch
Hope View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hope Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 24 2006 at 8:26pm
Does anyone know if you can freeze the egg that comes in the carton?  I looked all over the little container and all I could find was "keep in refer".  I've never bought it before so can't think of the name...egg beaters or something.  Would be so easy to freeze (convenient).
Hope
Trigger View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trigger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 27 2006 at 2:36pm
Nutella is Fabulous!!!
Trigger
Rocky View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rocky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 28 2006 at 11:11am
OK, I understand there are plenty of brands of freeze dried/powdered whole
egges. My big question is who has tasted them as scrambled eggs and were
they good, or at least OK? I am not relying on any freezing method because
of electrical outages.

Many thanks...I just don't want to buy a big can and find they are unedible
for scrambled eggs.

Rocky
Prepare for the Unexpected!
Rocky
http://www.homeemergencyusa.com
iamclose View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote iamclose Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 28 2006 at 2:24pm

When cooking bacon start saving the bacon grease.  I remember my grandmother saving the bacon grease to season peas, beans, turnips,  etc. with. 

Does anyone know how long the already cooked bacon is good for and does it need to be refrigerated? 

andrew p View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote andrew p Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 28 2006 at 8:01pm
I  happen to be a fan of kipper snacks,  which  are like sardines but bigger and taste better. Out of curiosity I emailed the company  (crown prince) to ask about shelf life, and they replied -  40 years!  Seems a little farfetched to me, but if it is anything close to that, they should make a fine  food to  stash away. 

On another note, it sure is easy to worry these days. If you have not got your pants in a bundle about bird flu, try reading up on the end of oil. You'll find some similar forums at peakoil.com or a painful overview at lifeaftertheoilcrash.net. Not to mention terrorists, blackouts, hurricanes, etc.

There is definitely more than one reason to be prepared, in case you have doubters in your life.

Exciting times we live in....
iamclose View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote iamclose Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 01 2006 at 5:18am
One item I have not heard anyone mention stockpiling - fruit pectin/SureJel.  I have heard everyone talking about canning jars and pressure canners but have not heard anyone say anything about fruit pectin.  You can make jams, jellies and marmlades if you have jars, sugar, fruit or fruit juice and fruit pectin.  I make wonderful jellies out of fruit juices that are bought at the grocery store.  I have made cranberry, grape and apple. 
NawtyBits View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NawtyBits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 02 2006 at 9:31am
Hi All, I'm pretty new here but am going to jump in with both feet.  I have been in to preparedness since 1997.  I was a moderator on Gary North's Y2K Food Storage forum for 2 years.  So, I have a bit of experience with this stuff.  Allow me to wax profound for a few moments.

First and foremost, store what you eat, eat what you store.  It makes NO sense to buy and store crap that you don't like, or have never tried to use.  It is a waste of money and time...and that's money that could be spent on things you CAN and WILL use.

Secondly, rotate, rotate, rotate.  Always.  Date everything and arrange it oldest to newest.  This way, if you are following the first rule, you will have fresh stuff all the time.

Thirdly.  Don't be afraid of expiration dates.  Manufacturers will tell you that they are there because they are required.  Food doesn't suddenly go bad on the date on the can.  The date is a guideline that tells you at which time the food may start losing its appearance or some nutrient quality.  As long as the can is not bulging, rusted, or the contents smell off, chances are the food is still edible.

Which leads me to four.  Don't hesitate to call a manufacturer to ask them how to decode their product date codes.  Most are more than willing to help you.

Five.  Never forget salt.  It lasts forever.  And in a true SHTF situation, all the salt you have may be all the salt there is...ever.  And you need it to live.  25# bags at Sam's Club for under $5.  Great insurance.

According to the manufacturer, Velveeta does NOT need refigeration, even after opening.  (Personally, I'd try to use it up in a day or 2 if I kept in on a shelf.)  Spam will store forever, unopened.  You were talking about canned butter, well Ghee is basically a clarified butter.  There are recipes for it all over the web if you are ambitious, but Ghee is available in many stores now.  Cub foods has 1 pound JARS of Ghee in the International Foods section.  AFAIK, it doenst have to be refrigerated even after opening (I believe the clarifying process skims off the milk fats...the part that goes rancid.)  Crisco will store indefinitely unopened, and is important for making doughs.  (And frying, too.)  Pasta stores a LONG time.  Years.  Just store everything in a cool, dark, dry place.

I don't want to hijack this thread, but a few comments gave me a bit of pause.  I want every one to be prepared...that keeps you off MY doorstep.  But, if you don't do it right, you might as well as save your money.

nawty
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 02 2006 at 9:37am
Thanks for the info Nawty, and welcome to the forum! :)
Sunset View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sunset Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 02 2006 at 12:07pm
          QUESTION.........WHY CAN'T YOU STORE YOUR FLOUR, SUGAR,SALT, ETC. IN GALV. STEEL GARBAGE CANS [NEW ONES] AND DRINKING WATER AND PUT SOMETING ON THE SIDE TO RUN THE WATER OUT....I DON'T REALLY WANT TO USE PLASTIC ONES..............ANY BODY HAVE ANSWER TO THIS ONE..............SUNSET
NawtyBits View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NawtyBits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 02 2006 at 3:17pm
Originally posted by Sunset Sunset wrote:

QUES TION.........WHY CAN'T YOU STORE YOUR FLOUR, SUGAR,SALT, ETC. IN GALV. STEEL GARBAGE CANS [NEW ONES] AND DRINKING WATER AND PUT SOMETING ON THE SIDE TO RUN THE WATER OUT....I DON'T REALLY WANT TO USE PLASTIC ONES..............ANY BODY HAVE ANSWER TO THIS ONE..............SUNSET

I've heard of people using garbage cans with plastic bag liners.  I wouldn't.  I don't know why.  I use 55 gallon blue plastic barrels that I got at Sams for about $25.00.  I only have 2 of these.  The rest I use 1 gals that I buy.  Remember that a gallon of water weights about 8 pounds.  So, if you use the garbage can (I wouldnt), make sure you have it where you want it until you empty it.

As I type, I can think of a reason not to use metal (at least a reason that was used pre-Y2K...)You would need a plastic liner as the can would leak.  It was next to impossible to find "food grade" plastic liners back then.  So people just plastic.  I know that is sh*te for an answer, but it's something.

nawty
fritz View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fritz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 02 2006 at 5:10pm
Just a thought, Alot of people have mentioned using garbage bags to store food (or even dog/cat food) in. Alone or as liners. As far as I know, garbage bags are sprayed with pestisides (ie. poison) because the intended use is 4 garbage. Dunno 'bout you but I'm sticking to food grade containers for my preps. :>}
"I am only one; but still I am one, I cannot do everything, but still I can do something. I will not refuse to do the something I can do." -- Hellen Keller
TNbebo408 View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TNbebo408 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 02 2006 at 5:15pm
The metal garbage cans will leak, and are coated with a zinc and lead based coating.

DO NOT USE THEM FOR WATER STORAGE, this is vital for your health.

Even the plastic or rubber ones will leach small, very slight amounts of trace organinc and chemical compounds into water stored in them. But for it to harm you, you would have to consume vast amounts of water from them and from them only for a long period of time.
NawtyBits View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NawtyBits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 02 2006 at 5:40pm
Originally posted by fritz fritz wrote:

Just a thought, Alot of people have mentioned using garbage bags to store food (or even dog/cat food) in. Alone or as liners. As far as I know, garbage bags are sprayed with pestisides (ie. poison) because the intended use is 4 garbage. Dunno 'bout you but I'm sticking to food grade containers for my preps. :>}

AFAIK, restaurant grade bags, clear plastic, have no pesticides, as they are used in close proximity to food.

nawty
NawtyBits View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NawtyBits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 03 2006 at 5:27pm
Some random thoughts:

• Don't forget an extra can opener.  Cans are murder on your K-Bar.
  • Just because you find a "bad" package of something doesn't mean it's wasted....dogs and cats will eat many things we wouldn't touch.  Feed your animals.
  • Nestle's Quick (NesQuick now?) can be mixed with powdered milk for a chocolaty treat....kids love and need this.
  • Have plenty of plastic flatware and paper plates on hand.  If water becomes scarce, you can just throw them away or burn them.
  • Boiling water for 10 minutes will kill most viruses...water purifiers will not remove viruses, only bacteria and material contamination.
  • Learn to garden and can.
  • Vegi seed packages are dated, but you can expect only about a 10% decrease in germination per year. 
  • Powdered Buttermilk is available in the baking section of your local grocer...good addition to doughs.
  • Learn how to cook over a fire.  Cast iron is a wonderful tool, and with a little practice and some good recipes, your dutch oven will amaze you.  If you are cooking over a fire, get the dutch oven with the legs.  Read the manual.  Season it well.
  • Practice what you think you will need to know.  Cooking over a fire,  etc.
  • Downoad and print recipes now.

That's all for now....just want to keep this thread alive.

nawty

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 04 2006 at 12:03pm
I started going over by preps and I plan on ten  months of food and realized that a lot of cans food I figure 3 cans a day plus instant rice and ramian noodles, instant potatoes
Scott View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scott Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 05 2006 at 1:05pm
I have been looking for quite some time for 50lb. or 100lb. raw (not pre-stored) wholesale wheat. Can anybody suggest a source that I could try. Rice I found in 25lb bags at BJ'S (Berkley & Jensens).
Rochester, NY

Thanks everyone.
As the Dark Horse Approaches.
Improvise Adapt and Overcome!
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 05 2006 at 2:07pm
Should powdered milk go through the same freeze process as rice prior to storage?
Scott View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scott Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 05 2006 at 5:35pm
Hey Stormriderfla.
I do not believe that is necessary. I am referring to carnation instant milk. There is an expiration date however.

Hope this helps.
Scott
As the Dark Horse Approaches.
Improvise Adapt and Overcome!
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 05 2006 at 7:19pm

Another Mountain house group buy is happening at warrifles.com in the survival forum. Prices are posted, check them vs. anywhere and you will see why I do these group buys on Mountain House.

Warning this is a gun forum.With lots of knowledge on firearms and firearm vendors.

fritz View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fritz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 05 2006 at 11:58pm

So Nauty bits, where do I buy these clear rest. quality bags (costco?)and how do you know this? Are they used for wet goods or only dry goods?

And I'm sure you're not suggesting that people give their pets spoiled or contaminated food. Right? What do you mean by "bad"? I worry how some may interpret what you wrote.

thanks. :>}

"I am only one; but still I am one, I cannot do everything, but still I can do something. I will not refuse to do the something I can do." -- Hellen Keller
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 06 2006 at 10:34am

Didn't see this link yet - those of the Mormon faith probably have this down better than lots of us.  Here is a link to their site on prepping for one years supply of neccesities.

http://www.providentliving.org/content/list/0,11664,2003-1,0 0.html

May be some other good stuff there too, I haven't checked it out in detail, the link was sent by a friend.

NawtyBits View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NawtyBits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 06 2006 at 7:35pm
Originally posted by fritz fritz wrote:

So Nauty bits, where do I buy these clear rest. quality bags (costco?)and how do you know this? Are they used for wet goods or only dry goods?

And I'm sure you're not suggesting that people give their pets spoiled or contaminated food. Right? What do you mean by "bad"? I worry how some may interpret what you wrote.

thanks. :>}

I get mine at Sams CLub.  A box of 250 bags is less than $10.  I use them for dry goods, rice, I have a bulk recipe for hot cocoa that contains powdered milk, beans, ect, that I have in 5gal buckets.   I also wrap my bags of flour, popcorn, pasta, or whatever. 

I know this because I havent died yet..     OK, I worked in food service for several years in college, and we would use these type bags for covering sheet trays of food, ect.  It never hurts to call the manufacturer, either.

Oh, and something else Ive started using is Ziploc now has 2 gallon zipper bags...makes my preps easier to handle.  Just fill em up and put em in the buckets. 

What Im suggesting is sometimes foods go bad, like powdered eggs for example.  If they taste like sh*te, they can still be cooked and fed to the animals.  That's what I mean by "bad"food.  Not necessarily spoiled, but not really fit for human consumption either...

nawty
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 13 2006 at 8:14am

http://www.ext.vt.edu/pubs/foods/348-960/348-960.html

Recommended Food Storage Chart

The following charts provide general recommended storage times from date of purchase for various food products stored under optimum conditions. Storage generally is not recommended under conditions where no time is listed in the chart. For maximum shelf-life, consumers should always purchase fresh food and never temperature abuse food.

Food Pantry (Room Temperature) Refrigerator (33°F to 40°F) Freezer (0°F)
Bread and Cereal Products
Baked quick breads 4-5 days 1-2 weeks 2-3 months
Bread 5-7 days 1-2 weeks 3 months
Bread crumbs and croutons 6 months    
Bread rolls, unbaked   2-3 weeks 1 month
Cereals, ready-to-eat 1 year
2-3 months*

Cereals, ready-to-cook 6 months    
Corn meal 1 year 18 months 2 years
Doughnuts 4-5 days   3 months
Flour, cake, all-purpose 1 year   1-2 years
Flour, whole wheat   6-8 months 1-2 years
Pasta 2 years    
Pies and pastries   3 days 4-6 months
Pies and pastries, baked     1-2 months
Pies and pastries, cream filled   2-3 days 3 months
Pizza   3-4 days 1-2 months
Rice, brown 6 months    
Rice, white 1 year 6-7 days+ 6 months+
Tacos, enchiladas, and burritos (frozen)   2 weeks 1 year
Waffles   4-5 days 1 month
Packaged Foods and Mixes
Biscuit, brownie, and muffin mixes 9 months    
Cakes, prepared 2-4 days   2-3 months
Cake mixes 6-9 months    
Casserole mix 9-12 months    
Chili powder 6 months    
Cookies, packaged 2 months   8-12 months
Crackers, pretzels 3 months    
Frosting, canned 3 months    
Frosting, mix 8 months    
Fruit cake   2-3 months 1 year
Hot roll mix 18 months    
Instant breakfast products 6 months    
Pancake and piecrust mix 6 months    
Pancake waffle batter   1-2 days 3 months
Toaster pastries 3 months    
Sauce and gravy mixes 6 months    
Soup mixes 1 year    
Spices, Herbs, Condiments, Extracts
Catsup, chili, and cocktail sauce 1 year
1 month*

6 months

Herbs 6 months   1-2 years
Herb/spice blends 2 years
1 year *
  1-2 years
Mustard 2 years 6-8 months* 8-12 months
Spices, ground 6 months   1-2 years
Spices, whole 1-2 years   2-3 years
Vanilla extract 2 years
1 year*

Other extracts 1 year    
Other Food Staples
Bacon bits 4 months    
Baking powder 18 months    
Baking soda 2 years    
Bouillon products 1 year    
Carbonated soft drinks (12 oz. cans) 6-9 months    
Carbonated soft drinks, diet (12 oz. cans) 3-4 months    
Chocolate, premelted 1 year    
Chocolate syrup 2 years 6 months*  
Chocolate, semisweet 2 years    
Chocolate, unsweetened 18 months    
Cocoa mixes 8 months    
Coconut, shredded 1 year
6 months*
8 months 1 year
Coffee cans 2 years
2 weeks*
2 months 6 months
Coffee, instant 6 months
2 weeks*

Coffee, vacuum-packed 1 year ^    
Coffee lighteners (dry) 9 months
6 months*
  1 year
Cornstarch 18 months   2 years
Gelatin 18 months    
Honey, jams, jellies, and syrup 1 year 6-8 months*  
Marshmallows 2-3 months    
Marshmallow cream 3-4 months    
Mayonnaise 2-3 months 12 months
2 months*

Molasses 2 years    
Nuts, shelled 4 months 6 months  
Nuts, unshelled 6 months    
Nuts, salted     6-8 months
Nuts, unsalted     9-12 months
Oil, salad 3 months^
2 months*

Parmesan grated cheese 10 months
2 months*

Pasteurized process cheese spread 3 months 3-4 weeks* 4 months
Peanut butter 6 months
2-3 months*

Popcorn 1-2 years 2 years 2-3 years
Pectin 1 year    
Salad dressings, bottled 1 year^ 3 months*  
Soft drinks 3 months    
Artificial sweetener 2 years    
Sugar, brown 4 months    
Sugar, confectioners 18 months    
Sugar, granulated 2 years    
Tea bags 18 months    
Tea, instant 2 years    
Vegetable oils 6 months
1-3 months*

Vegetable shortening 3 months 6-9 months  
Vinegar 2 years
1 year*

Water, bottled 1-2 years    
Whipped topping (dry) 1 year    
Yeast, dry Pkg. exp. date    
Vegetables
Asparagus   2-3 days 8 months
Beets   2 weeks  
Broccoli   3-5 days  
Brussels sprouts   3-5 days  
Cabbage   1 week  
Carrots   2 weeks  
Cauliflower   1 week  
Celery   1 week  
Corn (husks)   1-2 days 8 months
Cucumbers   1 week  
Eggplant   1 week  
Green beans   1-2 days 8 months
Green peas   3-5 days 8 months
Lettuce   1 week  
Lima beans   3-5 days 8 months
Mushrooms   2 days  
Onions 1 week 3-5 days  
Onion rings (precooked, frozen)     1 year#
Peppers   1 week  
Pickles, canned 1 year 1 month*  
Frozen potatoes     8 month
Sweet potatoes 2-3 weeks    
White potatoes 2-3 months    
Potato chips 1 month    
Radishes   2 weeks  
Rhubarb   3-5 days  
Rutabagas 1 week    
Snap beans   1 week  
Spinach   5-7 days 8 months
Squash, Summer   3-5 days  
Squash, Winter 1 week    
Tomatoes   1 week  
Turnips   2 weeks  
Commercial baby food, jars 1-2 years^ 2-3 days  
Canned vegetables 1 year^ 1-4 days*  
Canned vegetables, pickled 1 year^ 1-2 months*  
Dried vegetables 6 months    
Frozen vegetables     8 months
Vegetable soup   3-4 days 3 months
Fruits
Apples Until ripe 1 month  
Apricots Until ripe 5 days  
Avocados Until ripe 5 days  
Bananas Until ripe 5 days (fully ripe)  
Berries Until ripe 3 days 1 year
Canned fruit 1 year 2-4 days*  
Canned fruit juices 1 year 3-4 days*  
Cherries Until ripe 3 days  
Citrus fruit Until ripe 2 weeks  
Dried fruit 6 months 2-4 days+  
Frozen fruit     1 year
Fruit juice concentrate   6 days 1 year
Fruit pies, baked   2-3 days 8 months
Grapes Until ripe 5 days  
Melons Until ripe 5 days  
Nectarines Until ripe 5 days  
Peaches Until ripe 5 days 1 year
Pears Until ripe 5 days 1 year
Pineapple Until ripe 5-7 days 1 year
Plums Until ripe 5 days  
Dairy Products
Butter   1-2 months 9 months
Buttermilk   2 weeks  
Cottage cheese   1 week 3 months
Cream cheese   2 weeks  
Cream-light, heavy, half- and-half   3-4 days 1-4 months
Eggnog commercial   3-5 days 6 months
Margarine   4-5 months 12 months
Condensed, evaporated and dry milk 12-23 months^ 8-20 days*  
Milk   8-20 days  
Ice cream and sherbet     2 months
Hard natural cheese (e.g. cheddar, swiss)   3-6 months
4 weeks*
6 months
Hard natural cheese, sliced   2 weeks  
Processed cheese   1 month 6 months
Soft cheese (e.g. brie)   1 week 6 months
Pudding   1-2 days*  
Snack dips   1 week*  
Sour cream   2 weeks  
Non-dairy whipped cream, canned   3 months  
Real whipped cream, canned   3-4 weeks  
Yogurt   2 weeks 1-2 months
Meats, Poultry, Eggs and Fish
Meats
Fresh beef and bison steaks   3-5 days 6-9 months
Fresh beef and bison roasts   3-5 days 9-12 months
Fresh pork chops   2-3 days 4-6 months
Fresh lamb chops   3-5 days 6-8 months
Fresh veal   1-2 days 4-6 months
Fresh ground meat (e.g. beef, bison, veal, lamb)   1 day 3-4 months
Cooked meat   2-3 days 2-3 months
Canned meat 1 year 3-4 days* 3-4 months
Ham, whole   1 week 1-2 months
Ham, canned 1 year 1 week* 3-4 months
Ham, canned "keep refrigerated"   6-9 months
1 week*

3-4 months
Shelf-stable unopened canned meat (e.g. chili, deviled ham, corn beef) 1 year 1week*  
Ham, cook before eating   1 week  
Ham, fully cooked   2 weeks
1 week*

Ham, dry-cured 1 year 1 month  
Ham salad, store prepared or homemade   3-5 days  
Bacon   2 weeks
1 week*
1 month
Corned beef, uncooked   5-7 days 1-2 months
Restructured (flaked) meat products     9-12 months
Sausage, fresh   1-2 days 1-2 months
Smoked breakfast sausage links, patties   1 week 2 months
Sausage, smoked (e.g. Mettwurst)   1 week 1-2 months
Sausage, semi-dry (e.g. Summer sausage)   2-3 weeks* 6 months
Sausage, dry smoked (e.g. Pepperoni, jerky, dry Salami) 1 year 1 month* 6 months
Frankfurters, bologna   2 weeks
3-5 days*
1-2 months
Luncheon meat   2 weeks
3-5 days*
1 month
Meat gravies   1-2 days 2-3 months
TV beef and pork dinners     18 months#
Meat based casseroles   3-4 days 4 months
Variety meats (giblets, tongue, liver, heart, etc.)   1-2 days 3-4 months
Vinegar pickled meats (e.g. pickled pigs feet) 1 year^ 2 weeks*  
Fish
Breaded fish     4-6 months
Canned fish 1 year 1-2 days*  
Cooked fish or seafood   3-4 days 3 months
Lean fish (e.g. cod, flounder, haddock)   1-2 days 6 months
Fatty fish (e.g. bluefish, salmon, mackeral)   1-2 days 2-3 months
Dry pickled fish   3-4 weeks  
Smoked fish   2 weeks 4-5 weeks
Seafood-clams, crab, lobster in shell   2 days 3 months
Seafood-oysters and scallops   1-2 days 3-4 months
Seafood-shrimp   1-2 days 1 year
Seafood-shucked clams   1-2 days 3-6 months
Tuna salad, store prepared or homemade   3-5 days  
Poultry and Eggs
Chicken nuggets or patties   1-2 days  
Chicken livers   1-2 days 3 months
Chicken and poultry TV dinners     6 months
Canned poultry^ 1 year 1 day*  
Cooked poultry   2-3 days 4-6 months
Fresh poultry   1 day 1 year
Frozen poultry parts     6-9 months
Canned poultry   1 day 3 months
Poultry pies, stews, and gravies   1-2 days 6 months
Poultry salads, store prepared or homemade   3-5 days  
Poultry stuffing, cooked   3-4 days 1 month
Eggs, in shell   3-5 weeks  
Eggs, hard-boiled   1 week  
Eggs, pasteurized   10 days
3 days*
1 year
Egg substitute   10 days
3 days*
1 year
Egg yolks (covered in water)   2-4 days 1 year
Egg whites (For each cup of egg yolk add 1 Tbs. of sugar or salt)   2-4 days 1 year
Wild Game
Frog legs   1 day 6-9 months
Game birds   2 days 9 months
Small game (rabbit, squirrel, etc.)   2 days 9-12 months
Venison ground meat   1-2 days 2-3 months
Venison steaks and roasts   3-5 days 9-12 months

* Opened

+ Cooked

^ Refrigerate after opening

# After manufacture date

References

American Meat Institute Foundation. 1994. Yellow pages: answers to predictable questions consumers ask about meat and poultry. American Meat Institute Foundation, Washington, D.C.

Food Marketing Institute. 1999. The food keeper. Food Marketing Institute, Washington, D.C.

Freeland-Graves, J.H. and G.C. Peckham. 1996. Foundations of food preparation, 6th ed. Prentice-Hall, Inc. Englewood Cliffs, NJ.

Hillers, V.N. 1993. Storing foods at home. Washington State University Cooperative Extension, Pullman, WA. Publ. EB 1205.

National Restaurant Association. 2001. Be cool-chill out! Refrigerate promptly. National Restaurant Association Education Foundation¼s International Food Safety Council, Washington, D.C.

USDA. 1997. Basics for handling food safely. U.S. Department of Agriculture, Food Safety and Inspection Service, Washington, D.C.

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 18 2006 at 1:26pm
Some food purchase ideas.

You can buy a bulk 50-pound bag of regular cooking oats for $23.85.
Depending on how large the serving, that should buy you 100-200
servings. (American measurement 1/2-1cup)

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0007NG56S/
104-3661433-1960715?v=glance&n=3370831

In Canada a 25-kilo bag sells for about $25.

Shelf Life

Sealed in an air-tight container, regular rolled oats have a shelf life of
5-years and quick cooking oats only - 1-year.

Oats - Nutrional Information

http://www.hgca.com/content.output/561/561/Health%20and%
20Nutrition/Nutritional%20Information/Oats%20Nutrition.mspx

Oats - Recipes & more Nutritional Information

Oat Flour - You can make it yourself by grinding rolled oats in a food
processor or blender. Oat flour adds lovely flavor to breads and because
of certain natural preservative in the oats themselves, it improves their
shelf life. Oats contain no gluten, which is needed for bread to rise, so it
must be mixed with a gluten-containing flour such as wheat. Substitute 1
of every 5 parts of wheat flour with oat flour. If your recipe is for a quick
bread, no addition of other flours is necessary

The following has a useful charts about the shelf life of many foods.

http://www.providentliving.com/food/shelflife.html

-----

Extending Shelf Life

The cooler, drier and darker you can keep your food storage, the better.
Studies have shown that you can double the shelf life of many products
simply by lowering the storage temperature by 10 degrees Fahrenheit.

You can dramatically increase the shelf life of yeast, brown rice and
garden seeds by storing them in the freezer.

Many light-colored dehydrated products such as powdered dairy products
and dehydrated potatoes will gradually take on a brownish color over
time, but this does not necessarily mean they have spoiled if they have
been properly stored.

Never store foods directly on a concrete floor or touching a masonry wall.
These surfaces give off a lot of moisture and odor over the years, which
will eventually leach into the food.

Do not take chances with stored foods. If cans start to bulge, bottles do
not look well sealed, or food smells rancid, throw it out. Be sure to boil
canned vegetables for 10 minutes before consuming.

lhttp://
www.providentliving.com/food/shelflife.html
Pebbles View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pebbles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 19 2006 at 2:51pm
Stormriderfla wrote: Should powdered milk go through the same freeze process as rice prior to storage?

Where did you post the freeze process for rice?  I can't find it.  Also, is there a freeze process for other foods?  Thanks so much. 
Blackbird singing in the dead of the night. Take these broken wings and learn to fly. All my life. You were only waiting for this moment to arise.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 19 2006 at 6:50pm
An overview of changes in the characteristics,
functionality and nutritional value of skim milk powder (SMP) during
storage.

October 10, 2001

Summary

Skim milk powder (SMP) has low moisture and fat contents and, when
stored in dry, cool conditions, has a shelf life in excess of two years.
Specifically, when stored at 15°C and a relative humidity of 75%, skim
milk powder has a minimum shelf life of two years,
an average shelf life of three years and a maximum shelf life of four
years. Milk powders are hygroscopic: they tend to attract water readily
from humid atmospheres. When moisture levels are excessive, milk
powders may become sticky, caked or lumpy, and exhibit reduced
flowability and solubility.

These changes affect the ease of use of the product, requiring grinding
for example and may affect the flavor, but do not represent a health or
safety problem.   If the powder’s moisture content exceeds
15%, it then becomes susceptible to microbiological growth and should
not be used. Skim milk powder should have a mild flavor and aroma.
After extended storage, some milk powder may develop slight off-flavors.
These may be noticed in rehydrated or “recombined” milk products.
However, milk powders for use as ingredients in manufactured foods and
dry blends generally do not need to meet as high standards of
palatability and redispersibility.

Dried skim milk products stored in optimal conditions in proper
packaging show essentially no change in color, even during two years of
storage at 35°C. In commercial situations, most dried milk products are
susceptible to reactions that can result in small changes in the physical
properties of the product, its palatability and nutritive value.

These changes, however, do not significantly impact the nutritional
benefits of milk powders. Vitamin and protein quality losses during
storage of milk powders, when stored in good conditions, are negligible.
Skim milk powder should be stored in sanitary, cool, dry conditions, away
from strong odors. Milk powders from bags that have been opened or
damaged during transit or storage, or that appear spoiled; to have been
contaminated or tampered with in any fashion should never be used.

http://
www.usdec.org/files/pdfs/SMPStorage.pdf
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 22 2006 at 6:58am
Hi All!

I don't know why I didn't think of it sooner, but last night while I was out doing some prepping, I realized that, for my children I can stock up on Pedisure.....It contains all of the vitamins and nutrients that my kids need and they could "survive" on this drink alone, without food,  in a crisis situation.....It is expensive ($40 for 24/8oz drinks) but I know my kids would be fine!! (My kids LOVE them!)
The shelf life is also pretty good, The pack I bought last night doesn't expire until 5/2007! I guess I should start picking up a case of this each time I'm at BJ's now!!!!LOL
Does anyone else with small children have any other "food" ideas to "keep the kids happy"?
I wonder if I should be looking at something like Slimfast or Ensure for my husband and myself?
debtrag View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote debtrag Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 23 2006 at 7:34am
A tip about shelf life of canned products.  Last night I made sloppy joes, the can was marked use by Oct 2003.  I opened it and smelled it and it was fine.  Used it and never got sick.  I have found out that some soups are different though.  My suggestion is smell it, look at it, and that should tell you.  If any question through it out.

Also my aunt is a pharmacist and my vet has given the same advise about meds.  The expiration date does not necessarily mean that it is bad.  Cough meds, liquid tylenol, pills.  It means that it is loosing some of its potency.  Liquid anitbiotics MUST ALWAYS be discarded after 7-10 days though.  Liquid amoxicilliam will begin to mold and even though I have given it to cats after 3 weeks, I definitely would not give it to a human. 
slcmom View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slcmom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 23 2006 at 1:13pm

Debtrag is right, canned goods do not magically go bad on their expiration date.  Consistency may vary and taste can deteriorate.  If the can is BULGING throw it out.

My hub is a scientist and meds are a little different.  Some lose potency, some INCREASE in potency.  While they also do not magically go bad on their expiration date, they are only tested to the expiration date so anything after that is a gamble.  While I am quite possibly the world's cheapest person, and I hate to throw things out, I will give myself a couple of month's worth of fudge factor, but after that even I won't take that gamble. 
jtg1969 View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jtg1969 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 27 2006 at 7:59am
Easy Dehydrated Vegetables - Cheaper & Stores Longer than Canned

I have learned an easy way to use your dehydrator to store vegetables cheaper and longer lasting than canned.

The batches I made for Y2K are still excellent!

Here is what I do:

1. Use an electric dehydrator with the plastic mesh tray liners so the small pieces won't fall through.

2.  Buy bags of frozen vegetables (corn, peas, mixed, etc) and spread on trays (frozen vegetables are already blanched so you don't have to waste time doing it yourself!)

3.  When they are thoroghly dry, allow to cool and store in mason jars (vacuum seal if possible) OR my favorite way is to funnel it into 2 liter bottles, pop in an O2 absorber and put the lid on.

4.  To use, simply soak in some water overnight or add to soup( add a little extra water), etc. when you cook it.

Hope this is useful.

roxy View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roxy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 27 2006 at 8:38am
  itg1969, do you have to thraw the frozen vegtables before dehydration, seems like the dehydrator would have to work longer if frozen stuff used. just a thought, i like to try this roxy
jtg1969 View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jtg1969 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 27 2006 at 8:45am
Hi Roxy,

I do not defrost the vegetables myself.  Usually they are done within 24 hours.  You can expreiment with different kinds of frozen vegetables and even fruits!

Hope this helps!

Jason

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>
  Share Topic