Click to Translate to English Click to Translate to French  Click to Translate to Spanish  Click to Translate to German  Click to Translate to Italian  Click to Translate to Japanese  Click to Translate to Chinese Simplified  Click to Translate to Korean  Click to Translate to Arabic  Click to Translate to Russian  Click to Translate to Portuguese  Click to Translate to Myanmar (Burmese)

PANDEMIC ALERT LEVEL
Forum Home Forum Home > Pandemic Prepping Forums > General Prepping Tips
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Tracking the next pandemic: Avian Flu Talk

FOOD

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
Author
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roxy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 27 2006 at 8:56am
 thanks  jason for replying, i pick up new in the box dehydrator, the large one, at a tag sale last year, haven't played with it yet,  but buying bags of frozen veggies on sale,  would produce more than cans to store,the water to rehydrate would be a problem, but could add to soups,rice ect water, thanks again roxy
Jason View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jason Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 27 2006 at 9:18am
No Problem Roxy, I hope it works out for you.  Just remember you need the plastic mesh tray liners so the small pieces do not fall through- the trays themselves usually have llarge slots in them.

You can also dehydrate ground beef as well, if your interested just do a web search on it or I can provide you with that info.

God bless

Jason
phoenixrising View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phoenixrising Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 28 2006 at 9:03am

Purchase soy flour as an egg replacement in all your baking, meatloaf,  and croquette type patties.

One pound of soy flour equals about 40-45 heaping tablespoons.

For each large egg equivalent, use:

1 Heaping tablespoon of soy flour

1 Tablespoon of water

You can also make ahead mixes using soy flour--just increase your liquid by one tablespoon when mixing.

phoenixrising View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phoenixrising Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 28 2006 at 9:12am
Jason, 
can one substitute cheese cloth or something else for the plastic mesh tray liners?  perhaps, something like cross-stitch plastic with the tiny wholes, or taking a part  one of the skillet sized oil splatter screen
do-hickies.   
guest View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote guest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 28 2006 at 9:25am

Trash bags and tin trash cans have leaching bad chemicals into food issues.

Raccoon View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Raccoon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 29 2006 at 6:42pm
I was the queen of Y2K food storage. I had big 5 gal buckets full of sugar, flour and pasta. I used the oxygen packets. Put bay leaves in the flour...I used the flour and sugar until about 9 months ago and it was fine. I didnt have to buy some things for years and now after a move, I'm starting all over again. You can can your own butter. Use small canning jars. Then you only open enough for a few days at time and it stays fresh.
Take rice and divide it into 1 or 2 cup amounts....as much as you would use at one time and seal individual packets. Then there is no measuring, just add an equal amount of water.
Remember that trash will also be a problem....you don't want to put your food wrappers out on the curb and advertise that you have food! So any repackaging you can to to conserve space and have items ready for cooking is a good idea.
Dont store foods you wouldn't eat under normal circumstances. As for the canned meats like hamburger....if you can eat what looks like dogfood, buy it. I used mine as a white elephant gift at Christmas time. I don't think my family would have eatten it even if they were starving. And the person that got it as their gift...left it at my house.....
Some one mentioned eggs...you can buy dehyrated eggs. They are great for baking. I keep in on hand all the time now. Dont forget to get PAM for none stick cooking....less cleaning.
I"m sure there is more to tell, but I'm also getting good advice. Each "disaster" brings it's own challenges.
Daydreamer View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Daydreamer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 29 2006 at 9:16pm

Very good post Raccoon and welcome to the forum.

I am packing my rice in three cup packages. I figure we can use it in two or three sittings. I've heard of people packing their rice in five gallon buckets and I just don't see how it will stay fresh once it's been opened. It would take us months to go through five gallons of rice.
Don't put off tomorrow what you can PREP today
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 30 2006 at 6:10pm
Ihree  like the idea of separating the rice in smallbafgs and fressing them for t
fritz View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fritz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 31 2006 at 9:19am
Hi Raccoon, I too would like to welcome you and thought your first post was great, I esp like the story about the ground beef!lol
So, are all canned meats really bad or can you rec some decent ones you might've come across. Or do you do all of your own canning? Can you post advise about canning butter. There was alot of talk about it here on the form and some instructions but if you have experience doing this I'm sure there are many, myself included, who would appreciate any advise you could offer.
Thanx, fritz :>} 
"I am only one; but still I am one, I cannot do everything, but still I can do something. I will not refuse to do the something I can do." -- Hellen Keller
Tea4Two View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tea4Two Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 31 2006 at 10:17am
Hi fritz,

I just now finished up a batch of canned butter. I used 6 sticks of salted butter. While I was melting it down, I put two pint canning jars in the oven at 260, to sterilize them...20 minutes. I put the canning lids and rings in a pan and brought it to near boil and turned off the heat.
Once the butter melted and began to slow boil, it foamed up...this is the water boiling out. When the water is out, you'll hear a sizzling sound and it will stop steaming. With unsalted butter, the milk solids separate in the pan with clear oil underneath. The salted butter didn't do this. So if you want to skim the solids off, unsalted is better to use.
I took one jar out of the oven at a time, and poured the butter in thru a funnel and wiped off the lip of the jar. Then I took out one lid and ring, dried them with a clean paper towel and put them on the jar.
The milk solids separated to the bottom of the jar very quickly. As soon as the jars cool a bit, I'll go back and shake them and repeat this several times until they go solid again.
Using salted butter for this gives a Very salty butter.
When they are cooled, I'll put them in the fridge.
I got one and a half pints from six sticks of butter.
Hope this helps.
Tea4Two
fritz View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fritz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 31 2006 at 10:27am
Thanks tea4two!
What are the "solids" exactly? I do remember others rec unsalted butter. I think I will be trying this next week. I have to get the small canning jars and it is so early in the season there is nothing on the shelves here for canning. I never canned anything before but I do have a new canner I want to try out. Should I start out with something easier first? My hope was that I could can meat sauce or sloppy joe recipie because that is my husbands favorite thing that I make and it would then be so easy to just warm up and serve over pasa or rice. thanks for helping me. fritz :>}
"I am only one; but still I am one, I cannot do everything, but still I can do something. I will not refuse to do the something I can do." -- Hellen Keller
Tea4Two View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tea4Two Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 31 2006 at 11:01am
Hi fritz,
You are very welcome! I don't have a pressure canner so I can't help you with that. You can use any glass jar with a metal lid, as long as it is sterilized and you boil the lid. The jar of clarified butter that I bought at the health food store is in a jar with a metal lid. Nothing special, so a glass mayo jar or pickle jar would work too. the lids from the pint canning jars will fit a glass mayo jar, the quart size.
The solids are milk solids that separate from the oil when the butter melts.
This is very easy, if I can do it, as the saying goes....
Tea4Two
joseph View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote joseph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 02 2006 at 9:33am
    while at albertson I was asked if if wanted a box of free cerial, I ask if I could have the hole cart full. befor they could correct there mistake I walked away with 23 boxes of cerial! For free!!!
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 04 2006 at 12:55pm

That is great Joseph!

Thanks for all the great directions for canning butter. I'll try to can some myself together with the bought canned butter I have.

I have a few questions too. I am (again) looking over what food I have and what I can make with them, and whether I am missing some ingredients (spices, condiments etc. ). Which leads me to wonder about the milk and eggs food storage suppliers sell. Who could make some recommendations as to what is better (when). What is the difference between "Egg mix", "Whole Eggs", "Egg Whites" and "Eggs, ova crystals"?

The same question for milk. You have "Crystalized Instant milk" "Nonfat milk" "Instant milk" etc. What keeps well longest?
Thanks.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 04 2006 at 12:58pm
P.S.
I hope someone still reads this thread..
sealbay View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sealbay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 04 2006 at 6:09pm
Have you tried the canned cheese yet?  I read the same review that' s posted but would like second opinion.

sealbay
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 04 2006 at 9:05pm
I haven't tried the canned cheese yet. I kinda went with the review that he posted, believing it tastes like the real kraft cheese. I thought better to save these cans for when we really need them (since they're supposed to stay good "indefinitely"), and use store bought cheese while we still can. It would be great if someone gave a second opinion.
sweetpea View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sweetpea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 05 2006 at 6:47pm
Welcome to raccoon and grace ...

Raccoon, a question about the butter after you've canned it - can it be stored safely on a pantry shelf or does it need refrigeration/freezing?

Grace, I'm not too knowledgeable about the eggs, as for milk - non-instant powdered milk tends to last longer than the regular instant powdered milk available on the grocery shelves.

Phoenixrising - I was wondering where I saw the information about the soy flour & using it as an egg substitute ... as for the dehydrator, I read somewhere in this forum that you can use the crafters plastic canvas ... I picked some up today at Walmart, the large 12X16(?) size - 88-cents each.

"When an emergency arises, the time for preparation is past."
sweetpea View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sweetpea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 05 2006 at 6:48pm
Oh, forgot ....

WaltonFeed is a good bulk source for wheat & grains, and I think another company called MontanaMilling is another source ... I'll have to check on those ...
"When an emergency arises, the time for preparation is past."
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 06 2006 at 11:26am
Thanks, Sweetpea...
Raccoon View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Raccoon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 06 2006 at 4:55pm
   Does it have to be BUTTER or can you can MARGARINE?
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 07 2006 at 9:54am
Guys, I have been involved in a few group buys for Mountain House freeze dried foods in the past few years. the people that put on these group buys do this to help people prepare, not to profit from our fears. I think for long tern storage Mountain House is hard to beat. I will see if I can get approval to post prices, you guys will be shocked.
Dijon View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dijon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 07 2006 at 11:50am
I wanted to make sure that everyone understands that the prices listed above are the cost per case (not per can or pouch).  There are 6 cans or pouches per case.  Make sure when comparing prices you check whether others prices are per case or per can (pouch).

Dijon
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 07 2006 at 12:22pm
Dijion,
Nice posting, glad you guys came to help the people here at avainflutalk save some money on preps. If any of the people here need feedback on these buys, just read the 20 plus pages of orders from the last group buy(@warrifles.com). Also lots of mountain House food reviews for those who want to know.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 08 2006 at 7:45am
So, are you saying that we, as a forum can order items with you, as a 'group' regardless of where we live? Or do we need to find a group that is close to where we live?-k
zoe17 View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zoe17 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 08 2006 at 8:30am
From the past three group buys I did with these guys, you place your order, they email you the order costs with shipping(over $500.00 free shipping from MH), you send funds to them, a few weeks later the Brown Truck brings it to you. You do not have to form a group, unless you want to get a group and buy over $ 500.00 to save shipping.
Dijon View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dijon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 08 2006 at 11:37am
Originally posted by ReadyMom ReadyMom wrote:

So, are you saying that we, as a forum can order items with you, as a 'group' regardless of where we live? Or do we need to find a group that is close to where we live?-k

You do not need to form any sort of "group".  Anybody that places orders with us fall under our "group".  Mtn House ships everywhere in the U.S. (including Alaska - not sure about Hawaii).  All you need to do is check out the Mtn House thread (many links already posted!) and follow the instructions there.  If you have any other questions, feel free to ask!!

Dijon
Marker View Drop Down
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 08 2006 at 12:22pm
How come, when I go to the website, it says "Free standard shipping on orders over $50"?  Also, I am having difficulty finding anything about group orders.
You don't scare me...I teach 16-17 year olds...
2ifbyC View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 2ifbyC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 08 2006 at 12:25pm
At the Mtn House site free shipping for orders over $50 is when you purchase retail.
Survival does have an 'I'!

Dodging 'canes on Florida's central Gulf Coast
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 08 2006 at 12:33pm
When I go to the Rifle site to see what's happening w/ the group buy, I see you have to register to get into the site. -k
Dijon View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dijon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 09 2006 at 7:33am
Yes, it appears you do have to register to view the info.  There is no fees or other obligations with registration (but you do get killer prices on Mtn House!!! Wink)

Dijon

Originally posted by ReadyMom ReadyMom wrote:

When I go to the Rifle site to see what's happening w/ the group buy, I see you have to register to get into the site. -k
CitizenBlue View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CitizenBlue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 09 2006 at 9:09am
Dijon

Thank you by the way.

What date do you need our orders? When do you need the check? I see your e-mail info listed on page one, is it still current? Thanks

It's always the lowest common denominator.
Dijon View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dijon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 09 2006 at 10:58am
I will start receiving orders on April 25th.  I haven't set the exact cut-off dates yet for orders and for payments.  I will set them by the April 25th kick-off though.  When I get the dates set I will post them in the Mtn House info thread (I will update the first post so everyone doesn't have to search through all the pages for current dates).  My email address is current!!

Dijon

Originally posted by CitizenBlue CitizenBlue wrote:

Dijon

Thank you by the way.

What date do you need our orders? When do you need the check? I see your e-mail info listed on page one, is it still current? Thanks

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 14 2006 at 11:01pm
Warning: Pancakes made from an old mix can cause an acute allergic reaction. The mold that forms in the old mix can be toxic.

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 16 2006 at 12:08pm
xx
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 17 2006 at 1:49pm
xx
Thordawggy View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thordawggy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 17 2006 at 7:15pm
Survivor - You can make a bread starter without yeast in a couple of days if warm or in a week if not warm.  Sourdough or otherwise.  You just keep feeding it every day or so.  A little flour, water and sugar.  There are many kinds.  Then you can have leavened bread.   Keep it in a jar or plastic container with a little hole in the top to let the gasses out.  You can take it with you like the pioneers did if you are traveling.
Check out the internet. 
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 19 2006 at 9:08am
xx
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 22 2006 at 10:27am
Instructions for making a Homemade Food Dehydrator costing about $5.00:

2ifbyC View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 2ifbyC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 22 2006 at 6:41pm
Irene,

That is one terrific site! I just read the medical section and I am impressed. Well written in layperson terms with a clear and comprehensive style.

It's now one of my top bookmarks.

Thanks!  Clap

MAJDAD View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MAJDAD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 22 2006 at 7:28pm
When you are using your scrambled eggs from power,  Add one drop of pure vanilla extract to one table sppon of whole egg power.  Add water until it is the way you want it (about 1 table spoon.  Also use the vanille in you powered milk to improve the taste.  Got this from my brother who was a cook in the Army for 24 years.  He is really a chef and darn good.  He was always able to make his troops happy even in Vietnam.
Major Dad hopes you are all alive and well and looking out for each other
2ifbyC View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 2ifbyC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 22 2006 at 9:05pm
Originally posted by MAJDAD MAJDAD wrote:

He was always able to make his troops happy even in Vietnam.

I wonder if he's the one that would give me fresh out-of-the-oven loaves of bread and a #10 can of butter for my unit when I went to pick up our C-rations at midnight? Absolute heaven! I often wished I kept track of him. He made a difficult situation so much better with his generousity. Wink

Was he stationed at Da Nang in '67?

Edited by 2ifbyC - April 22 2006 at 9:08pm

MAJDAD View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MAJDAD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 23 2006 at 8:35am
2ifbyC.  I will have to ask him.  I know he was in Pli Ku in 70  ( I was with the 7th group and he was with the 4th Infantry)  I would go to his mess every time I got back into camp (not very oftenf)  He could always make a silk purse out of a sow's ear.
Major Dad hopes you are all alive and well and looking out for each other
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 28 2006 at 10:33pm
jUST CURIOUS BUT WHAT DO THE MILITARY EAT ON MISSIONS . IM JUST LOOKING FOR IDEAS ON PREPPING
2ifbyC View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 2ifbyC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 29 2006 at 8:02am
Originally posted by Deanna Deanna wrote:

jUST CURIOUS BUT WHAT DO THE MILITARY EAT ON MISSIONS . IM JUST LOOKING FOR IDEAS ON PREPPING

Ground forces are issued two MREs (Meal Ready to Eat) per day while on a mission. During hostile engagements, only one.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
  Share Topic