Click to Translate to English Click to Translate to French  Click to Translate to Spanish  Click to Translate to German  Click to Translate to Italian  Click to Translate to Japanese  Click to Translate to Chinese Simplified  Click to Translate to Korean  Click to Translate to Arabic  Click to Translate to Russian  Click to Translate to Portuguese  Click to Translate to Myanmar (Burmese)

PANDEMIC ALERT LEVEL
Forum Home Forum Home > Main Forums > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Tracking the next pandemic: Avian Flu Talk

Prescription Meds

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Admin
Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Albert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Prescription Meds
    Posted: June 13 2006 at 7:40am
If anyone here is dependent on medication, such as for diabetes or cancer, go to your doctor and request to purchase a minimum of 90 days supply in advance, which really isn't that much.  But Do this today.  My guess is that most doctors would not mind the idea of allowing patients to purchase an emergency supply of dependent types of medications. They will not prescribe Tamiflu, but don't confuse that with other types of medication that they will prescribe in advance. 

Although the insurance companies will not cover any advanced purchases of medication, it's still a prep worth purchasing on your own. 

Smile  

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 13 2006 at 9:03am
it would cost me, out of pocket, over $700 for our scrips. Can't do it. Thanks for the info though. I hope others can do this.
bajmom View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bajmom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 13 2006 at 9:06am

Some insurance companies will allow you to order 3 month supply by mail.  I am in the process of getting the doctor to fill out prescription.  I actually save money this way.  I get 3 months of meds for the price of 2.  Good way to stock up!!

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 13 2006 at 9:09am

Good suggestion Albert,

If you get your meds through the VA reorder your 3 month supply as soon as you receive your refills. They won't send it immediately but you'll find you will have some overlapping to give yourself a buffer.

Private insurance has a real problem with 90 day supplies. Maybe your physician can help with a special request or ask for an "exception" from your insurance carrier.

bjregg View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bjregg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 13 2006 at 10:29am
I currently care for my 86 year old father and at his last appointment I asked the MD for a prescription for Tamiflu for each of us.  He asked if we were having flu symptoms and I told him that we were not, but would like to have the Tamiflu on hand in the event of bird flu becoming a problem.  He did not hesitate to write the prescriptions.  All that said, I would highly recommend asking your MD for a prescription.  It can't hurt to ask.  bj
ImmuneConcerned View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ImmuneConcerned Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 13 2006 at 12:06pm
Medco, a reputable U.S. mail-order pharmacy, routeinly provides  90 day supplies (with physician's order) through our benefit plan.  Most of our Rx costs us $36/3mo/Rx.  None of our physicians have blinked an eye when we've asked for a 90 day supply for regularly used Rx on the basis of finances.  We have the benefit of going through a large company for reduced rates.  I don't know what one would be charged on an individual basis but I know Medco works that way too.  If you want to check them out:
ImmuneConcerned
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 13 2006 at 12:20pm
Thanks ImmuneConcerned !
bellabecky View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bellabecky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 13 2006 at 12:40pm
Standingfirm...I got my dad's doctor to give us a 30 day supply of his meds in sample packs. He did it on the spot. They get them for free and if you ask they might say yes, it can't hurt. He gave us Niaspan, Lipitor, Cozaar, Altace and a new type of diabetic medicine my dad just started that is in a pen. I got my daughter a free month of Adderall XR, they had a coupon for it on their website. It is worth looking at the websites of all the meds you take. Also, insurance only let's me refill my prescriptions once a month...BUT you can actually get them filled every 3 weeks. If you keep on it and fill every three weeks you will have a weeks worth of back-up meds every month. Try getting the refill on day 22, if it doesn't work call every day after that until it goes through. Then you will know how early you can fill every month. Even if it is only 4 or five days, it is better than nothing and will add up. Good Luck to ya!

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 13 2006 at 12:46pm
Thanks bellabecky.
bellabecky View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bellabecky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 13 2006 at 2:03pm
Your welcome. I hope you are able to get some surplus of meds. I've started getting a bottle of wine here and there. Maybe I'll start buying it by the box and won't need meds!!   
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 13 2006 at 3:07pm

Are you people checking the expiration dates on these medicines when you pick them up?  Some medicines are good beyong the expiration date, but the manufacturers don't want to be responsible.  This is most important for meds you are only planning to use if there is a pandemic.  I saw on one website someone's post that their newly purchased Tamilfu expired 11/07. so if the pandemic comes along afterwards, they don't know how effective their pills are.

detpat View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote detpat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 13 2006 at 3:19pm
  my insurance requires that we purchase from their mailorder pahrmacy, and we must order 3 months at a time.  my md didn't have any problem writing us for tamiflu either.  our insurance won't pay for more than one tamiflu scrip in a year for each person, but since i had refills on thescrip, the phar ordered it in and will let me pay out of mt own posket.
  pat
never underestimate the power of human stupidity
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 13 2006 at 8:06pm
Good idea.."go to your doctor and request"

I'll print off this thread and take it with me Smile
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 14 2006 at 5:34pm
My meds were written as #30 with 11 refills -- however after filling the first Rx locally, I hopped on DrugStore.com and transferred the Rx to them.  Then I "purchased" 90 days worth of the med and they sent it without a problem!  Piece of cake.  You can also reorder early from them, so by the end of next month, I'll have a 6 month supply in the house.  Pricey but worth it.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 14 2006 at 7:29pm
My meds come 90 days at a time too. And I can reorder early.  I'm thinking of claiming a "lost in the mail" thingy so they send me an extra 90 days.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 14 2006 at 7:34pm
What bellabecky said works.  I refilled my scripts every 3 weeks.  After 4 months you have a whole extra month.  Keep doing it 3 weeks after the last time you ordered them or just 5 days before the 30 day refill etc.
My drug store does not care as long as it is not more than a week early.  Or, they just haven't figured out what I am doing yet. Wink
Now I am halfway through one set of scripts but have two whole 30 day sets on the shelf.  Working on 4 months ahead total.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic