Click to Translate to English Click to Translate to French  Click to Translate to Spanish  Click to Translate to German  Click to Translate to Italian  Click to Translate to Japanese  Click to Translate to Chinese Simplified  Click to Translate to Korean  Click to Translate to Arabic  Click to Translate to Russian  Click to Translate to Portuguese  Click to Translate to Myanmar (Burmese)

PANDEMIC ALERT LEVEL
Forum Home Forum Home > Main Forums > General Discussion
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Will you brainstorm about property warning systems
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Tracking the next pandemic: Avian Flu Talk

Will you brainstorm about property warning systems

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Will you brainstorm about property warning systems
    Posted: June 13 2006 at 6:56pm
We really need some advice about property warning systems .

I am talking about women living alone. What can we do (to prepare) if the electricity goes out?

We had power failure last week for three hours  and I have never felt so alone in my life!!! All of the motion senser lights and buzzer systems were down.

Could you brainstorm for us?
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 13 2006 at 7:11pm
A shotgun and a large dog is the best home defence you can have. 
NawtyBits View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NawtyBits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 13 2006 at 7:13pm
I have solar powered flood lights for my landscaping.  They are very bright and burn all night.  Also, I believe there is a solar powered standard flood light (the kind that takes standard floodlight bulbs) with a motion detector. Look on the internet for a buzzer that screws in to a standard light bulb socket.  Replace the bulb with the buzzer, and point the motion detector to the area you want to cover.

I have no idea how much this might cost.  I have just seen these various products around, and figured I could put them together to make some sort of alarm.

nawty
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 13 2006 at 7:21pm
BoJingles is on the money, a small dog and a big shot gun.
I set chimes over the top of my back door and bells on the knob, if someone comes in I'll hear them, I've got seven seconds to grab my shot gun.

MK
NawtyBits View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NawtyBits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 13 2006 at 7:25pm
Originally posted by Mary Kay Mary Kay wrote:

BoJingles is on the money, a small dog and a big shot gun.
I set chimes over the top of my back door and bells on the knob, if someone comes in I'll hear them, I've got seven seconds to grab my shot gun.

MK

I guess I'd want a little more heads up than someone coming thru my door.  Some sort of alarm will deter someone from even coming near your door. 

A dog and a shot gun are a great idea, but if that is your only option, you better darn well be ready to shoot someone when the time comes.  While I would shoot someone without hesitation if they were entering my house, I'd much rather they get scared away before I even have to make that decision.

nawty
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 13 2006 at 7:32pm
Good point,... Oh great warm and fuzzy one.
{ I could leave a sign on the door that reads all intruders would be tied into a chair and be forced to hear the gospel.} ; )
MK
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 13 2006 at 7:36pm
Good Locks,  a strong door and window locks!

A few weeks ago someone cased my home and I woke up to a flashlight being shined thru the window.  They took off when I turned on lights and started screaming "Call the Cops - we're being broken into"

After that incident I took a cold hard look at the house and started making changes.  The house came with wrought iron bars on the windows in the back and the patio door.  I now have additional locks on all the windows.  

The front door is my weak point.  It's a double door entry (which I love and don't want to give up.)  I added the metal slide lock you see on hotel doors to beef that up and am waiting for delivery of steel bars that go under the handles and brace against the floor (against someone trying to kick down the door.)  I do have battery operated window and door alarms ( package of ten small alarms is fairly cheap at home depot) as a backup to the hard wired security system.

I feel better with things that I did.

K.  
NawtyBits View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NawtyBits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 13 2006 at 7:53pm
Originally posted by Mary Kay Mary Kay wrote:

Good point,... Oh great warm and fuzzy one.
{ I could leave a sign on the door that reads all intruders would be tied into a chair and be forced to hear the gospel.} ; )
MK

Well, that would surely make ME move along to the next house.  LOL

Ok, that's really my last post now until Sunday.  I really am going fishing.

Bye All.

nawty
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 13 2006 at 8:00pm

Posted by Nawty...

"While I would shoot someone without hesitation if they were entering my house, I'd much rather they get scared away before I even have to make that decision."
.........................................................................................................................
Nawty..did anyone check onto the different state laws on ones obligation not to shoot?   I don't have the exact wording...it's on the NRA site.
I think I read the they are trying to get new laws passed on defending ones castle.
Pixie View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pixie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 13 2006 at 8:05pm
I lose alot of sleep over this issue. Plagued with every scenario my mind can  conjure up, My body,mind and nerves register the fear factor.  Though this can be very draining, it's a good dry run,because you a better idea how to be prepared, removing some of the initial confusion and responding when it's critical. My neighborhood is a mix of single family and two family houses, which had grown more transient . My immediate neighbor ,will call him Bob, is very unstable,though he keeps to himself, he is definitely someone I don't want at my door, then the guy next to him, his mirror image,both with fixations of guns......So I'm having my lower windows security gated....Beyond that I haven't  a clue,whether my psyche is blocking the reality or I'm not making hay while the sun shines. I need to get it together.
MelodyAtHome View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MelodyAtHome Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 13 2006 at 8:25pm
Mary Kay, my sign we have on the windows now all the way around the house has a picture of a gun and it say..."If you are found her tonight, you'll be found here tomorrow" something like that...I'd have to go outside and read it again...we picked it up at a gun show.
Melody
Emergency Preparedness 911
http://emergencypreparedness911.blogspot.com/
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 14 2006 at 5:16pm
We have a workshop /storage shed and what is in there, is probably worth more than what is in the house. Live on 1 1/2 acre lot, out in country , not many neighbors.

One of you mentioned a baby monitor  on an earlier post. I bought one and put the monitor in the workshop and the listening device beside my bedside. I was thinking of putting the cheap battery window/door alarms every where out there and put the monitor on a inverter attached to a 12 volt battery.  

Does anyone know how often the battery will have to be recharged?

Could someone tell me where to buy the cheapest solar battery chargers for 12 volt batteries? I will need to charge 6 batteries.

Will also need at least 6 very bright, solar charged,  motion detecter, flood lights. I have seen a few on the net but afraid they might not be bright enough to do any good. If someone  already knows where to purchase?

I am married but IF a pandemic does happen my husband will probably be forced to go back to duty (retired SC Hwy. Patrol). He already wants me to stop getting prepared. ( Says if it does happen they will break in and take everything we have, no matter how many guns we have.) 

I am getting auto lights and buzzers before I stop. I think I would be a lot better off if I can hear them, before they know I can and see them before they are at the door.

Thank you

God bless!

detpat View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote detpat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 14 2006 at 5:51pm
  one option is to get a package of those previously mentioned battery operated door and window alarms, make that 2, use one set on your windows and doors.  the other set you mount to friction tape or another lightly dislodged anchor.  then take the small part and mount it as well, but also attach a dark colored thread [the nylon stuff you use to repair tents is good] to the small magnetic  side and run them across likely ingress points or areas.  securely anchor the non alarm end.  when someone trips the wire it will seperate the two parts and the alarm will sound. 

you can also look into surplus sites and try to find anti intrusion systems, or trip flares.  the intrusion systems are usually pretty cheap.  you can also hang tin cans with several small rocks on the nylon tripwires, although this will require watch shifts.

you can get a system including 2 cameras [ir capable btw] and a monitor/tv  that are run on either batteries or house current.  i have a set of these and they work really well in the field.  harbor freight has a solar motion detector security light on sale right now.

pat
never underestimate the power of human stupidity
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 14 2006 at 6:02pm
I have been looking into home and yard security lately.   For the windwos and doors, you can get a cheap battery operated wireless alarm system at Costco for $20.  For yard/perimeter security, tThe options have broken out as follows:

1) solar powered floodlights with motion sensors:  these are nice because they charge themselves and will only come on when motion is detected (which, if you are awake and in line of sight to the light, can give you an early warning of an intruder);

2) motion sensors only:  the cheaper driveway sensors apparently are either designed to sense large objects (e.g., cars) only or create too many false alarms.  I haven't found any compelling product here.

3) wireless cameras:  X10 and GE have some wireless camera systems that are intriguing.  Both offer cameras with nightvision capability and audio.  The GE Smarthome system also includes a motion sensor that triggers an audible chime or alarm at the receiver if it is set off.  You can probably get a complete system with one or two cameras (excluding the video monitor) for approx $100-$200.  The problem with both of these systems is power.  The X10 cameras require a couple of AA batteries and the receiver needs AC power.  The GE camera requires five AA batteries (or an optional rechargeable NiMh battery pack) and the receiver also needs AC power.  Both need a video monitor that also requires either batteries or AC power.  I think you need to have a fair amount of replenishable power to run this system every night.  The batteries will probably need to be recharged every day and your AC power source will need its own charging or gas power source.

So far, none of these is particularly satisfactory.  I might try a combination of the above and hope power does not go off for too long.  I also saw that GE will be soon coming out with a solar powered version of its wireless camera with night vision.  That will probably be pretty expensive, but is the single best solution that I have heard of for perimeter security.

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 14 2006 at 6:28pm
detpat, Have you ever found a decent wireless system? My shop is 300 ft from the house and I need a camera on the south side of it towards the road. So that 360 ft through a steel building.  Digging though 300 ft of rocks is not my idea of fun to put wires in.

I think yiou should take in all  these lonely ladies and offer them a safe place to stay.  I would do this but my wife has no sense of humour.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 14 2006 at 6:56pm
A battery operated tape recorder with the sounds of barking dogs on tape might be a cheap solution.
Rainla View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rainla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 14 2006 at 7:09pm
At 5:37 yesterday morning the alarm on my security system went off.

The motion detector went off in the basement and since my toddler and dog were in the room with me I went through my planned response. Well I found some kinks in my response that I will have to work on but the bottom line is that it took 12 minutes for an officer to come.

Thankfully there were no signs of forced entry other than a very large spider (ex-spider) that the officer said probably set it off - he said that happens a lot.

I am widowed so I already know that I am on my own and I had a plan or so I thought.

Those were a very long 12 minutes and I know that in a pandemic help would maybe not show up at all due to staffing/gas shortages, etc.

This one really has driven home that I:

1) AM ON MY OWN

2) Need to stop procrastinating on getting a locksmith here to add some deadbolt layers - basement door to the upstairs, master bedroom door, and master bathroom door.

3) Get those shotgun lessons/practices done. I had a .380 automatic that I am trained on but if there had been multiple people I would have preferred a shotgun since they would be moving fast.

4) Get religious about keeping my cell phone in the room with me so I have alternate communications. Make sure the numbers for the neighbors are in my cell phone directory.

5) Drill the toddler some more - he wanted to hide under the covers - I will set up a "run to" place with a surprise to hold his attention so that I have him safely behind me and secure. I will have to make a game of it.

6) Practice getting the dang gun lock off - I was all thumbs with all of the adrenalin.

7) Not count on the elderly dog for any help - she never heard the alarm lol. She would attempt to protect but no early warning from her - she will have to see the bad guys.

8) Get some backup for the system if the power is out.

9) Never, ever forget that I am on my OWN. 12 minutes is a lot of time. It could have been never in the case of a serious pandemic.

And yes I was prepared to shoot. I will defend my son anyway I can. If someone ever does break in they can have anything that they want but they better darn well not come in my bedroom door.

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 14 2006 at 7:51pm
Possible help if the power goes off.
As mentioned earlier bells, and jangly stuff on the door knobs.
You can put out landscape netting hidden in front of windows. (with holes large enough for feet to become tangled in)
You can put unfriendly plants - bushes with thorns in front of windows.
You should have both a gun for defense and a safe/safer room to bolt to.
One of those air powered horns you see at football games is really defening inside a home. It could alert neighbors and scare off intruders. A survival whistle could also work.
If you get a Surefire or other high end flashlight the light can actually temporarly blind and disorient an intruder whose eyes are adjusted to the dark.
I hope some of this helps.

JMcB View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JMcB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 14 2006 at 8:33pm

Most intruders will be looking for easy entry or homes that are the most vulnerable. If the SHTF, the least you can do is have a roll of chicken wire and U shaped nails. Use the wire to cover the outside of first floor windows and all doors except your main means of egress. The wire alone will probably send an unfriendly to the next house. Cover the inside of the windows w/ frosted plastic. The sun will shine in but no one can see in. Pick up a few of the plastic coated hooks used to hang bicycles in the garage. Screw one on each side your doors and lay a 2x4 across.

The best you can do is make sure your home is less attractive than your neighbors.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 14 2006 at 11:10pm
A dog is a good idea. I once lived in a situation where I was under constant threat. I woke up one night walking the floor with a loaded shotgun. Don't go there.
I live in a different world now with 4 dogs and nothing gets pass them. I go to sleep knowing if anything comes up they will let me know it.  That is their only job.
If one can't have a dog then anything that will make noise on windows and doors would be my second choice. I also place things in front of windows that make it hard for a person to get in with breaking something. If I get really concerned I will put bear traps out for them.
Good luck to all!

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 15 2006 at 12:55am
This is interesting - October 1918:

Quote The crime rate in Chicago drops by 43 percent. Authorities attributed the drop to the toll that influenza was taking on the city's potential lawbreakers.

From here:

pheasant View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pheasant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 15 2006 at 4:03am
cheryl....many good post here...let me add , the front door ...go to a farm supply store,and buy "angle brackets'' simaler to what was just described with the 2x4..but get the ones for a barn door..1/4 to 1/2 thick,one for each side of the door,they have been used for a 1000 years to protect wooden doors from intruders..usualy they have 2 holes for bolts ,if you have block walls you can lag them in ,you may need a freind with some tools, for wood walls you need to find the studs,....the point is this if you put up metal brackets and use a 2x4 across the door,that door can not be knocked down with one try...i tested it...lol i was replacing the door anyway ..now if you have a very determind intruder 2 things happen ,first it will take at least 3 trys with a ram...LOTS OF NOISE...second with out a ramthe door has to be broken up somewhat...also make sure you have about a 1/2 to 3/4 space between the 2x4 and the door,i tried both ways and a space seems to act like a shock absorber...lol now a steel exterior door with 4 brackets and 2 2x4 ...well one person just  cant get thru,.....wasnt there a line in jaws where someone said "3 barrals, she cant go down with 3 barrals''   :o)
The only thing we have to fear, is fear itself......FDR
pheasant View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pheasant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 15 2006 at 4:07am
oh i forgot ..they make nifty coat racks or hat racks
Rainla View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rainla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 15 2006 at 6:31am
I will also echo what DISPENSER_4_HIR said above - get a Surefire flashlight. I have a combat model and that will definitely temorarily blind someone - the amount of light output is incredible. I had that at my side the other morning when the alarm went off.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 15 2006 at 8:38am
True, you can see them with a super flashlight and may blind them, but I worry the flashlight is also announcing, "Shoot here."

I purchased thin wooden sticks that fit into the window frame perfectly. I placed one on each side. If someone breaks the window, they have to open two locks then figure out why the window still isn't opening. They will need small fingers to dig the poles out of the track. Then once they get one out I can be have my gun in hand and be standing in front of them, watching them trying to get the other out.
As I retract/load my shot gun, and they hear that sound, they will be wetting their pants as they go running out of sight.
Cost .42 per stick.
MK
NZ er View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NZ er Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 15 2006 at 10:31am
We have crime in New Zealand but thank God not on the same scale as am reading about above....not yet anyway. How about a battery powered electric fence unit. There are some very powerful ones about  and if you would then connect them to have contact with metals they will give an intuder the belt of their lives. I have seen this happen (unintentionally) where on contact with the soft tape and metal, the shock was so violent it cut straight through the victims skin. We had a farm and a second one hooked directly up to the mains( house power)(best option for a good whack) but battery powered option would work if power down
Land of the Long White Cloud
Ordog View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ordog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 15 2006 at 12:14pm
The US Army has (had?) a lot of "Siesmic Intrusion Sensors" on surplus years back... see them on eBay, a lot. They pick up ground vibrations of walking, vehicles, etc and have remotes. The costs seem to have gone way, way up in the past few months.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 16 2006 at 4:16pm
What do you think about putting really long nails in a piece of plywood and putting that under the windows?
Or would that just make them angry and even more determined to get in?

God bless
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 16 2006 at 4:53pm
Mary Kay, the flashlight goes into your NON-shooting hand far away from your body, gun in other.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 16 2006 at 4:56pm
OK, I need some input on this topic as well. Our home is one-story, 13 windows, 3 doors, only 2 of us. The windows are the type you pull up. I already bought the cheapy door alarms, they work well, but tned to fall off. Will have to be secured with super-glue. I need ideas about the windows, especially. TIA
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 16 2006 at 10:24pm
I live alone too.   Seriously,  as some suggested on this forum get a couple
of good guns.  I recommend a 12 gauge shotgun and a 357 magnum
handgun.   Go to a gunshop and they will help out,  some will even train
you on using them,   don't forget about 100 rounds of ammo for each gun.

A dog is a good Idea too,  don't forget to stock plenty of dog food.
Dogs hear much better than we humans do and bark.

Do you have any long term friends you can stay with in case of emergency.
Check it out.  Don't be afraid to ask them.

Also,  I found a motion activated solar flood light.  Gives some advanced
warning and will scare anyone sneeking around your yard.
Target stores has them for special order.  Go to www.target.com
and use their search feature for solar.

Try this:

http://www.target.com/gp/detail.html/ref=br_1_11/602-2384794-0356610?%5Fencoding=UTF8&frombrowse=1&asin=B000CEG7R4
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 16 2006 at 10:33pm
Originally posted by Cheryl Cheryl wrote:

What do you think about putting really long nails in a piece of plywood and putting that under the windows?
Or would that just make them angry and even more determined to get in?

God bless

As appealing as that idea is, I'm afraid it would open you up to criminal prosecution.  It would at least in normal times.  Nobody can really say if society declines to a savage level.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 16 2006 at 11:08pm
edit
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 17 2006 at 12:05am
Ladies, if you are considering a gun for the home check on a 12 gauge shotgun. The "turkey gun" has a shorter barrel and works for me.
pheasant View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pheasant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 17 2006 at 8:52am
ok....(im not going to tout gun ownership)..but if your going to buy a gun for home protection ,may i suggest the following.....remington 870 pump shotgun 12 guage,with a smoothbore slug barrel, with a (tactical stock) pistal grip stock, get the 14 inch barrel if possible (check local laws)...slugs,and buckshot (i think 0 buck is the largest,or its 000 buck i forget) anyway the short barrel is good for in the house,the tack grip is geat for a woman,sturdy ,solid, lots of controle.. the remington 870 is used by police and swat , its a very very dependable firearm...now a pistol is fine too, and im not here to debate all that....i feel safer with a shotgun in the house i think its more versital in the house....talk to the gun shop and have them or a trusted freind teach you how to dissasemble and reasemble, AND HOW TO HANDLE it properly and in a safe manner.....gun ownership carries a lot of responsability .....and go to a gun range a few times with someone who is experianced, -----> my thinking is this if you pick up somthing to protect yourself (a rock, stick, a knife....a firearm) you had better respect it and know how to use it.....or dont bother picking it up                                                                                                                               

sorry for the long post,i know this is not a firearm thread,i hope it helps

P'ColaPrepper View Drop Down
advanced Member
advanced Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote P'ColaPrepper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 17 2006 at 10:54am
I've been debating on whether to have chainlink fence put up around my front yard and I'd like your opinions please. The back is already completely fenced as we have two 100 lb German Shepherds that will bite. We have 2 and 1/2 acres, the front yard being about a half an acre by itself, so this would be a bit costly. Do you feel this expense would be worth it to allow the dogs access to the front yard to keep potential wanderers from our front door, or wouldn't someone just kill the dogs if someone wanted in badly enough? I think I really want this fence, would you all put up this fence if you could? Also is there a way a person could electrify the chainlink fence. Thanks in advance, am going to shop for those door & window alarms today as well as those solar powered motion detector lights!
P'ColaPrepper View Drop Down
advanced Member
advanced Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote P'ColaPrepper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 17 2006 at 11:09am

P.S. We live in a somewhat rural setting and I bought us a shotgun a few weeks ago. Never thought I'd own a gun, but am now considering buying a handgun also. I feel it'd just be easier to carry around and grab if neccessary when say someone is out in the back of the yard tending to the hopefully soon to be garden and trouble shows up. All the food and supplies in the house that I've been gathering over the last few mnths won't do us a bit of good if someone else gets there grubby little non-listening, non-prepping hands on them! Have also bought  a set of Motorola 2-way radios (the one thing I haven't told my husband about yet, don't know why) for similar situations. My birthday is coming up soon, think I'm going to ask for chainlink and that totally enclosed chicken coop I've been reading up on! Whod've thought these would ever have been my greatest  birthday presents ever! Embarrassed

pheasant View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pheasant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 17 2006 at 11:38am
hi pcola.......im not sure electrifing a chainlink fence is practical , a stock fence i think is cheaper and easyer to install(it wont look as nice)..now you can run a electric wire or 2 or 3 in front or on top to slow or deter a fence jumper...you can even electrifi barbwire
TCharley300 View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TCharley300 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 17 2006 at 5:45pm
I will do a couple of things.  First and foremost is the mean dog and shotgun. Those two never fail, especially the shotgun.  You can also use little wireless transmitters, battery operated that detect motion and sound an alarm or some kind of alert.  those are reliable and hard to see. 

if you have a decent place to put your stash, I'd also recommend a large fish aquarium under a window, with a rattlesnake inside the aquarium.

Bobby traps are also effective, such as 2X6 with about 300 very sharp nails in them.

I know the rattlesnake sounds a little rough, but I got broken into in my part time business. they always come back for more.  The second time, the victim got snakebitten.  Needless to say, I haven't had one problem since.  
TCharley 300
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 17 2006 at 10:21pm
Charging a fence or installing a hot wire is of little good to stop would be robbers. Most everyone knows a branch, a blade of grass, rain or most anything can short it out so I wouldn't think of that as a deterrent. In other words if something is laid on the fence then it's no longer charged.
Lights on outside-off inside allows one to see out but they can't see in.
My dogs are my first alert. If ever you are in a situation in home and don't have a gun, many household items can be used for weapons;  think loud noises, fire extinguisher, hairspray, hot irons, anything boiling, I have hammers and hatchets in the car and all about the house. Ice picks in wooden encasing (hard to find now) are great boot items. I don't like pepper spray or mace but the shockers are pretty neat if you just happen to hand one in hand when needed.
If we do have a serious pandemic don't count on the police showing up at all. I expect they'd have a thousand calls ahead of mine even in my more remote area.
If someone breaks in on me I can only assume they are ready to kill me to get whatever they want. Therefore I will attempt to stop them by whatever means I can-namely with a shotgun or a handgun.
Good luck.
bellabecky View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bellabecky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 17 2006 at 10:29pm
I go these little boxes, they are 2 pieces.. You put them on your windows/doors, and if someone opens the window/doors they loose their connections and alarm. They are pretty inexpensive and battery operated. The batteries last for months. Makes me feel better.
bellabecky View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bellabecky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 18 2006 at 1:08am
Originally posted by maysday maysday wrote:

Charging a fence or installing a hot wire is of little good to stop
would be robbers. Most everyone knows a branch, a blade of grass, rain
or most anything can short it out so I wouldn't think of that as a
deterrent. In other words if something is laid on the on the fence then it's no longer charged.
Good luck.

Maysday...just a funny story that's true.
When we were small the people down the road had a donkey and used an electric fence because the donkey would just walk through the regular one to escape all the time. Well, we had this friend named Gina and she asked the owner of the donkey if she touched the fence would it shock her, the lady said "only if your standing on your feet". So Gina got on her knees and grabbed the wire. It didn't hurt her bad, just shocked her. Of course it wasn't funny then, but now it is hilarious!

bargie34 View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bargie34 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 18 2006 at 8:18am
I live in a two story house. A bout 4 yrs. ago, I went to the bathroom, in the middle of the night, and happened to look outside in the back yard. Crouched down in the bushes, beside my 6 foot wooden fence, was a man in a white shirt. I yelled at him and he climbed back over the fence and  made a hasty retreat.
The next day I went to Home Depot and purchased a case of wooden carpet strips (with the thousands of little sharp nails attached) and nailed these strips all along  the top of my wooden fence. I haven't been bothered since.
Although the weather eventually deteriorated the strips, and I have removed all remnants of same,  I  don't believe I will  go to the trouble of doing it again. But, for that time period, it worked just fine.  Inasmuch as I now believe that  it was probably against the law, I'll look to other measures. However, maybe  some of my friends on this forum will  use this idea, in the event drastic measures are  called for.
This is a wonderful thread. Thanks, friends, for all the great advice.
bargie34
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 18 2006 at 8:48am
OldasRocks:

Look at x10.com for that cheap camera setup.

K.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 18 2006 at 9:43am
bellabecky, that is cute. Kids do the darnest things. I've seen little boys short out a fence to retrieve balls and such. And never under estimate a dog. They know when it's not working.
Best of luck to all.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic