Click to Translate to English Click to Translate to French  Click to Translate to Spanish  Click to Translate to German  Click to Translate to Italian  Click to Translate to Japanese  Click to Translate to Chinese Simplified  Click to Translate to Korean  Click to Translate to Arabic  Click to Translate to Russian  Click to Translate to Portuguese  Click to Translate to Myanmar (Burmese)

PANDEMIC ALERT LEVEL
Forum Home Forum Home > Coronavirus Pandemic: Prepping Forums > Extra Prepping > Electricity and Solar Energy
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Now tracking the new emerging South Africa Omicron Variant

ELECTRICITY

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: ELECTRICITY
    Posted: January 29 2006 at 4:49pm

Important information about electricity and alternate means of power generation.

If we don't have power.

Generators.

Solar Power.

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 29 2006 at 5:10pm

candles for light

propane tank  for cooking

generator for electricity

batteries for  cd players radio

in short as many sourses of power for many diferent things

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 29 2006 at 8:35pm

Issues likely to effect electricity:

Storms throughout the year bring down power lines.  Who will repair them and how long will it take if they do have repair crews?  Will they have the spare parts to effect the repairs?  This will be local outages, but if it's your locale it won't matter to you how wide spread it is.

Will the fuel to run the power plants be available?  Will the manpower be available to run the plant?

The power grid is a complicated interconnected web.  Bring down 3 or 4 nodes and we may end up with a cascade outage.

Edited by SophiaZoe
TNbebo408 View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TNbebo408 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 29 2006 at 10:35pm
Get some driveway solar lights, they cheap and work OK, also use a 12 volt jump start unit to power 12 volt lights, take the dome lights from a junk car for this, use a solar charger to keep the unit charged up.

If no one else has lights, the darkness will be your best friend, don't light up and become obvious.

Store gas after treatment, in dark cool place. Sunlight degrades gas, and vaporizes it also.

Only run genset enough to keep freezer frozen. Store just enough gas to maintain freezer operation till the freezer is empty.
libbyalex View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote libbyalex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 30 2006 at 6:25am
Simple, I know. When it gets dark outside, go to bed. When dawn breaks, wake up! Adapt schedule to the rising and setting of the sun. -- Libby
Spoon View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Spoon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 30 2006 at 7:46pm
You can cover your windows with blackout material or those silver energency blankets.  That would also keep your home warmer.
It's not so much the apocalypse... but the credit card bills ;-)
Ella Fitzgerald View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ella Fitzgerald Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 01 2006 at 11:12pm

Okay, I live in south central US and it gets pretty darn hot during summer time so what is a realistic energy source for an air conditioner?

I foresee that a refridgerator is a priority for electricity if you have it.

Spoon View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Spoon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 02 2006 at 7:05am

Ella,

Standard A/Cs and Refrigerators are expensive to power off-grid.  I have very little knowledge about water or wind power, but have been researching solar for the past several months.

Backwoods Solar was a big help.  They start with the basics and then breakdown several popular sample systems.  You can see what it takes, and costs, for your power needs.

Sunfrost makes the best line of high-efficient refrigerators/freezers that work well with solar power.

It's not so much the apocalypse... but the credit card bills ;-)
willow41 View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote willow41 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 02 2006 at 1:32pm

I have battery operated Family size Coleman laterns. Candles of all sizes, especially pillar sizes. I bought a battery operated Coleman tv/radio/siren/lamp at Target. Plus, loads of batteries.

We also have a generator that we run when power is out, but it is loud. And we only have so much gas. So not really relying on this.

Firewood, real and store bought.

You can purchasing propane heaters to use for the winter. Will find these in camping supply sections at stores or online.

I still want to get solar battery chargers and batteries,  and a solar powered/ crank radio.

corky52 View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote corky52 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 02 2006 at 5:08pm
Two solar panels, four 6v golf cart batteries, 5 gallons of distilled water, several inverters and careful selection of electronic equipment.  Boondock camping 101.  Also add cheap fluorescent lights from Wally World.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 03 2006 at 10:28pm
Here is something to investigate if you are considering powering your house with a generator: 

http://members.rennlist.org/warren/generator.html

http://www.imsasafety.org/journal/marapr/ma5.htm

Ella Fitzgerald View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ella Fitzgerald Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 04 2006 at 3:11pm

Okay, I have ordered a couple of the solar panels below and need someone to teach me how to convert these to produce power. I have put the description of the solar panels below. I have no experience with solar power and hoping someone can help direct me through this.

Thanks in advance!

12 Volt 12"x12" Solar Panel

Power about 3-4 Watts Construction glass plate
Voltage 14-18 Open Circuit Connectors Screw Terminals
Current 250-350 ma Short Circuit Mfg. Chronar in New Jersey
Condition never used, surplus Frame none

Includes 1 Amp Blocking Diode and Power Terminals.

Generate Electricity from the Sun!

An environmentally friendly and cost effective way to produce electricity wherever you are. Perfect for powering electronic devices and charging NIMH and NICAD batteries. The solar panels can be connected in series to increase the voltage, or connected in parallel to increase the current (amps).

Ideal for:

• Solar Energy Experiments
  • 12v battery charging for your car, boat motor, golf cart, RV, tractor, truck
  • Providing portable power
  • Power up small fans, pumps, lights, radios, cellular phones, fax, and laptop computers
  • Camping, playing at the beach, vacation home, boating, fishing, picnicking, farming, trolling, hunting, game feeders, and gardening.

These are surplus production panels.  There are surface blemishes or color variations on the front or back of the panel. This does not effect the power output. The panels produce the power indicated in the table above at noon on a cool, clear, sunny day. The solar panels look like a piece of black glass on one side and have a conductive silver coating on the other side.

Each solar panel includes a 1 amp blocking diode, clip on screw terminals and instructions. The blocking diode keeps connected batteries from discharging (loosing power) throught the solar panel at night. 

Enumclaw,WA View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Enumclaw,WA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 06 2006 at 11:00am
Here's a link for making power using a bicycle and a automotive Alternator. I ordered the parts needed so if I have to, I have them on hand to build this for recharging batteries. Also so I get my exercise when we are hold up at home. Should also be real quiet.
http://www.c-realevents.demon.co.uk/altgen/altpedgen.htm

Edited by Enumclaw,WA
RB
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 06 2006 at 11:32am

Originally posted by Enumclaw,WA Enumclaw,WA wrote:

Here's a link for making power using a bicycle and a automotive Alternator. I ordered the parts needed so if I have to, I have them on hand to build this for recharging batteries. Also so I get my exercise when we are hold up at home.

Oh MAN - You are screwing me up!  All along I've been thinking "The Omega Man" and now you tell me the plot is "Soylent Green."

Dammit.

Enumclaw,WA View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Enumclaw,WA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 06 2006 at 11:44am
Yeah, The plot thickins. Bigtime
RB
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 06 2006 at 7:45pm

For those that have a portable gas generator and a limited amount of gasoline storage. A adapter kit that allows you to use gas,propane,natural gas on most portable gennys.

http://www.propane-generators.com/a-c_kits.htm#tri-fuel

JaxMax View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JaxMax Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 21 2006 at 2:38pm
Here in Florida we have had numerous electrical outages with each hurricane. We have a 5000 watt Honda generator which is superb, but we actually use  the 12 volt batteries and inverters more.

An inverter is a device that converts 12 volt (car battery) to A/C or household power. An inverter is the size of a small box of Kleenex tissues. Semi truck drivers use them to power appliances and they are used on boats. An inverter runs small wattage 500-750 watt household appliances. (Small 12" color tvs, radios, small 10" fans, etc) Buy some 25 watt bulbs and then when the power goes off put them in your regular lamps and they will operate 2-3 hours.

Inverters are cheap and ideal for anyone who can not have access to a generator, such as those living in an apartment. To have 3 -4 hours of standby power for under $100 follow these steps:

1.  Buy an inverter at Wal-mart. Usually under $40. Get at least 500 watts. Get one that will plug into a cigarette lighter in a car or directly to a 12 volt battery with clamps. The inverters are in  the auto section. You can also buy them at a higher price at truck stops and auto stores.

2. Buy a 12 volt car battery at Wal-mart ($35). Ideally get one the same size as your car battery for emergency use. I get the smaller ones because my wife doesn't like the heavy ones. Also get the maritime black box ($4) so that if the battery ever leaks your flooring will not be harmed. The Coast Guard requires boaters to put the batteries in a waterproof black box to avoid spills and Wal-mart has every size.

3. Connect the inverter clamps to the car battery. Red clamp to positive, black clamp to negative.

4. Thats it. Plug your SMALL appliance into the inverter.

The inverter makes no noise. We got each child their own for Xbox video games. They are very nice at night to run a small fan $10- no larger than 10 inches at walmart.

You can recharge your battery with an AC charger ($30) or from a generator. Be sure the battery charger has a chrage indicator switch showing the percentage charged and that the cord comes out from the side of the chrager-not underneath the charger. Some battery chargers actually sit on their own cord, this causes the cord to fray and renders the charger useless. Check the battery for water.

You can also lend your inverter to friends who do not have a generator.

We charge our batteries every 3 months during non use and they have generally degraded to 80% or a loss of 1 hour.

Everyone who owns a generator should have a carbon monoxide detector even though the generator should ALWAYS be outside when in use. What people overlook until is they also need a carbon monoxide detector if their neighbors have generators. Shifting winds and changes in elevations can kill you with carbon monoxide. After the thrid hurricane over half our neighborhood used generators, and our detector was constantly going off. We got all the neighbors to turn the generators off at night.

Finally, generators are stolen by thieves moving a loud lawnmower next to
the generator at night, then stealing the generator. The constant noise masks the theft, so this is another reason to never run the generator at night.  
He who walks with the wise grows wise, but a companion of fools suffers harm.Proverbs 13:20, The Bible
Beth View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Beth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 24 2006 at 4:56pm
I wouldn't know how to fix up a generator and attach it to the mains even if I could afford one.  I have been working out how to manage without it.  Primarily I have to have a means of cooking - you can't eat beans and rice raw.  I'm going to try to find a store that sells firebaskets, and either buy or copy.  I'm going to build a coal/wood burning stove.  Bricks for the surround;firebasket or grids from and old cooker/barbecue to put the coals on and let the air underneath; another grid to put the pot on. 
A pressure cooker to save fuel and cooking time (it won't be much fun cooking in a cold cellar in winter).  Thank goodness I don't actually have to do it outdoors in the wind and rain. 
One of those metal kettles with a squeeker on the spout so it doesn't boil dry and burn. 
And batteries for portable radio. 
And lots of woolly jumpers in case there's no heat in winter.
Love Beth
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 25 2006 at 1:38pm
Beth, you might want to take a look at the Solar Ovens thread. You can make one for less than $10 and save yourself a ton of fuel costs, plus, which is even more important, you are not signalying to the whole neighborhood that you have something to cook!
For indoor: A Coleman camping stove seems to be safest. Also, check out all the great idea's KatDoe67 has about using a stainless steel thermos.
Please, be really careful with open fire, you don't want to burn down your home!
Daydreamer View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Daydreamer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 26 2006 at 6:24pm
Our neighbor has a generator but he doesn't stock enough fuel to keep it going for very long. I'm not sure if he's planning on storing more fuel or not.
We are planning on using candles, oil lamps, and Coleman lanterns for light. We also have flashlights and battery operated lanterns.

To cook, we are going to use a Coleman dual fuel campstove. We also have a propane grill and we have a firepit in our yard. We could also use our woodstove if it is winter time. Too hot to use for cooking in the summer months.

For heat, we'll use the wood stove. We will use blankets or plastic sheeting to seal off rooms that heat is not needed in.

Now about staying cool. We live in a mobile home so these things are like tin cans and summer heat is not fun. If we have no electricity, we'll be forced to keep the windows open for air and hope for a breeze. It will mean going around in as few clothes as possible to deal with the heat. I am hoping and praying it isn't so bad that we have to keep all the windows closed up cause I don't think I could survive that.

What are your plans for dealing with no electricity? We don't know if it would be a week or months without it. It's a very good idea to have a plan and a backup plan.
Don't put off tomorrow what you can PREP today
JaxMax View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JaxMax Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 27 2006 at 9:33am
Daydreamer-

Here in Florida, after the hurricanes heat and humidity was a problem. (Hurricanes only occur during the summer) All we could do was open the windows and run small battery powered fans and take cold showers. We could run a small fan for about 3 hours on a car battery (12 volt) and an inverter before we had to recharge the car battery with the generator.

I lent these to several friends who did not have generators and without exception using the small fans was the #1 use of the temp inverter power.

If you can attach tarps over your mobile home (tie them to trees or something else) and leave at least 3-4 feet space for airflow between your roof and the tarp, you can reduce your temperature by 10-15 degrees. We did this for friends living in a mobile home and it worked when  there is direct sun exposure. Use the silver not the blue tarps. Tarps of all types avaiable at Lowes, Home Depot, auto parts stores. 
He who walks with the wise grows wise, but a companion of fools suffers harm.Proverbs 13:20, The Bible
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 28 2006 at 9:45am
Having a large 6500W and a 2000EU genny is good.Run the big one for a few hours during the day to keep freezers/fridge cold, recharge batteries. At night wheb needed a EU can power the travel trailer A/C or a window unit placed in a bedroom to coll instead of running cental air. Having 200# of propane for genny is good, having a natural gas line to genny is great. Having 150 gallons of gasoline for whatever is also good. My outside shed is full.

Running a small quiet genny at night will be a security risk, so it will only be used if it is a neccesity.
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Daydreamer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 28 2006 at 12:58pm
JaxMax, thank you so much for the tarp idea. You really have me thinking now. I know that they sell tarps big enough to cover huge piles of those large round bales of hay so they would have one big enough to do this job.
I'll have to get enough rope to get to the trees. We do have trees within 10 or 15 feet of our mobile home so it would be a stretch but I think we could make that idea work. We might have to have something at the edge of the tarps to help stabilize it. I'll talk to my husband about this. He's more of the engineer mind. I'm sure he can come up with a plan.
Thanks for sharing this idea.
co_ski_bunny View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote co_ski_bunny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 31 2006 at 11:11am
I see a few posts here where people are going to use their Coleman stoves to cook.  I have one of these...one less thing I need to buy Clap  My question is, I have seen other posts where you can't burn propane indoors.  Does anyone know if this is correct?  If so, for everyone who has a Coleman, are you going to use it outside?  Would using by an open window help?
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 31 2006 at 12:03pm
I will be using mine inside...but I have the option of my using my screened in back deck..that is were my bbq is...but if I were to use my coleman indoors I would do so near an opened window....
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Daydreamer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 31 2006 at 7:11pm
We will be using ours inside most of the time. We will just open a window to be on the safe side.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 31 2006 at 11:17pm

I read a post somewhere on this site suggesting the Cobb cooking system for cooking: http://www.cobbamerica.com/

It only needs 5 to 10 charcoal briquettes and with good ventilation can be used indoors after being lit outdoors. Used outdoors, it wouldn't be as conspicuous to the neighbors as a propane grill would be.

I bought the Cobb from the Canadian site: http://cobbcanada.ca/
which also has a very good promotional video demonstrating how to use the Cobb as well as having a separate safety video, both on this page: http://cobbcanada.ca/videos.html

I posted on their message board asking about boiling water and received this response:

Quote Boiling water on the Cobb is easy. Just remove the cooking grid and place your pot or billy straight on to the fire basket (the wire grid that contains the briquettes).

I don't have any charcoal yet so I'll have to wait to give that a try.

If I used the Cobb in winter when there was no electricity, I'd probably try using it in my attached garage with the garage door partly raised. I'd want to conserve as much heat as possible inside my house and I can't do that with the windows open for ventilation.

By the way, does anyone know what a "billy" is?
Bridge Lifter View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bridge Lifter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 09 2006 at 8:26pm
I am debating wether to use propane or a dual fuel stove for cooking.

Any suggestions?

Thanks! 
2ifbyC View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 2ifbyC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 10 2006 at 7:12am
Originally posted by JaxMax JaxMax wrote:

2. Buy a 12 volt car battery at Wal-mart ($35). Ideally get one the same size as your car battery for emergency use. I get the smaller ones because my wife doesn't like the heavy ones.

May I suggest that you buy the marine deep-cycle (D-C) type batteries. They will provide power for longer periods and withstand recharging much longer than an automotive battery. Get the gel cells if you can afford 'em. The money you spend on deep-cycles will save you $$$ in the long term.

They are large and heavy. I have a small wheeled tote/wagon that holds two of the D-Cs and two small lawn tractor batteries which makes for easy mobility for recharging.

I also live in Florida, central Gulf Coast, and have lost power many times for up to two weeks. Besides 5 gallon gas cans I also have a boat with a 35 gallon tank. Normally I have enough gas for the normal outage. But since the BF could last much longer I'm in search of 15 gallon plastic barrels to extend my gen set time.

Edited by 2ifbyC - April 10 2006 at 12:12pm
Survival does have an 'I'!

Dodging 'canes on Florida's central Gulf Coast
prepmeister View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote prepmeister Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 13 2006 at 8:10am
I am looking for an affordable generator.  Does anybody have any recommendations?  I plan to only use it for a small chest freezer, maybe a few lights, or small appliances (bread maker) etc.  I also want to use it to charge marine deep-cyle batteris.  Do I need to look for anything special for this?  Pep Boys has a sale on a coleman 3125 peak watt, 2500 watt continuous gas powered generator.  One gas tank runs 10 hrs at 50% load.  It only costs $239.00 after a $20 rebate.  Any thoughts? Perhaps I should go more wattage or another brand?  Honda's are extremely expensive.

One other thought, do I connect the generator to a 12V battery charger and then connect the battery charger to the battery?  Or do you connect straight from generator to battery terminals?  I've never had a generator before so please bear with my idiot like questions.  Thanks.
2ifbyC View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 2ifbyC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 13 2006 at 8:36am

prepmeister,

First of all, add the wattage of all the devices you plan on powering with your gen set. Most generators have a ‘surge’ and ‘run’ wattage rating. Buy a gen set that has a ‘run’ rating at least 20% higher than your total wattage.

Depending of your age and physical capability, you might want to consider an electric start. Last year I aggravated an old ball injury in my shoulder starting a gen set. I now have an electric start and the old unit is my back up. Besides if the weather is bad I can have my bride of 37 years start that sucker. Thumbs Up

Buy a good electronic battery charger that has a deep cycle capability. Start the gen set, connect the charger to the batt, plug the charger into the gen set and then turn on the charger.

That’s a good price on the PEP Boys unit, but remember you get what you pay for. Google around for gen set comparisons and find what meets your needs.

Good luck!

Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote prepmeister Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 13 2006 at 11:24am
2ifbyC,

Thanks for your help!  One other thing, for your Gel batteries, what AH rating do you recommend?  The higher you go, the pricer they get.  I thought you might have a good feel for what size to get (is AH84 good enough or should I go higher?).  Thanks again. 

2ifbyC View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 2ifbyC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 13 2006 at 11:54am
prepmeister,

I have the D900Ms : http://www.dcbattery.com/optima_blue.html . I purchased mine year before last via the web. I can't remember where! I had to search hard for 'em for at that time there was a shortage. I think the military had pretty much consumed most of 'em.

Another nice thing about them is that they store very, very well and they have excellent recovery.

Shop around for the best price with shipping. They are heavy!

Now in all honesty, you can go with less expensive batts and probably meet your needs. But I didn't want to cut corners when it came to hurricane outages.

Again, good luck!

Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote prepmeister Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 14 2006 at 11:50am
2ifbyC,

What size inverters do you have?  I currently have a 500 Watt continous/1000 Watt surge, and a smaller 200 watt cig. lighter one.  Do you see a need to buy an even larger one?  Based on your experiences from Florida, what size was the most practical connecting up to your GEL battery? 
2ifbyC View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 2ifbyC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 14 2006 at 12:14pm
Originally posted by prepmeister prepmeister wrote:

2ifbyC,

What size inverters do you have?  I currently have a 500 Watt continous/1000 Watt surge, and a smaller 200 watt cig. lighter one.  Do you see a need to buy an even larger one?  Based on your experiences from Florida, what size was the most practical connecting up to your GEL battery? 

I currently have 1000, 400 and 300 watt inverters. The smaller ones are for fans  and small TVs primarily. The 1000 is for large screen TV, computer, tabletop shortwave radio, fan and a some lighting if needed. I haven't found a need for more at this time. So you look 'good to go' if your situation is simular to mine.

With the inverters you have, size really isn't an issue with the larger batts. Now I do have a couple of smaller lawn tractor batts for the fans since they are so portable.

Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote prepmeister Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 14 2006 at 12:38pm
2ifbyC,

How long can your 1000 inverter/Gel cell keep your large screen setup running given a full charge?
2ifbyC View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 2ifbyC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 14 2006 at 1:53pm

2ifbyC,

How long can your 1000 inverter/Gel cell keep your large screen setup running given a full charge?

I really don't know in that I recharge my batts at least every other day during an outage. I have at least one TV on at all times.

I just ran a test on my 32” LCD TV and the cable box. I used a ‘KILL A WATT’ meter which reads voltage, current, wattage and Hertz (cps). Great little unit that costs under $30. Sure lets ya know what your equipment requirements are.

TV = 139W @ 1.4 Amps

CB =   24W @ 0.4 Amps

So for my batts I would say at least 40 hours, probably more just for the TV and cable box. There is a little power consumption within the inverters also.

Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote prepmeister Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 14 2006 at 2:02pm
2ifbyC,

40 hours is very good.  I'm off to find a D900!  Thanks for checking on this.  It has been very useful.

By the way, I found a guy looking to get rid of a generator that he only used once a couple years ago.  He said is is a 5000 watt unit and he only wants $50 for it.  He is moving and can't afford the weight.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 14 2006 at 2:29pm
I'm thinking of getting a couple of Deep Cycle batteries for minimal lighting when the generator is off.  I only plan on running it 3-4 hours a day, just long enough to wash clothes, catch up on the news and get some hot water.  Any suggestions for a FAST battery charger to use while the generator is running?
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 14 2006 at 2:36pm
Originally posted by co_ski_bunny co_ski_bunny wrote:

I see a few posts here where people are going to use their Coleman stoves to cook.  I have one of these...one less thing I need to buy Clap  My question is, I have seen other posts where you can't burn propane indoors.  Does anyone know if this is correct?  If so, for everyone who has a Coleman, are you going to use it outside?  Would using by an open window help?

Ski Bunny,

A LOT of manufactured homes are shipped from the factory with propane powered stoves and heaters.  It must not be an unsafe practice or H.U.D. would not certify the homes for Fnma loans.   During the Hurricanes of 2004, we got hit 3 times, and burned the Coleman  indoors with no problems.    Also,  almost 100% of Recreational Vehicles use propane for the range/oven, hot water AND refrigeration.  Must be pretty safe!
2ifbyC View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 2ifbyC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 14 2006 at 3:04pm

He said is is a 5000 watt unit and he only wants $50 for it.  He is moving and can't afford the weight.

You jump on that puppy like a bird on a June bug!!!

When you get it home, fill with freash gas, start it and let it idle for 10 mins. This warms the engine prior to loading after sitting for so long. Then plug in at least 2000 watts of equipment one at a time and run for 30 mins. Do not start the gen set with equipment plugged in. Do this at least every two or three months.

After your first run, change the oil! I use synthetic. Then follow the recommended oil change interval.

Let us know how it works!

2ifbyC View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 2ifbyC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 14 2006 at 3:13pm
Originally posted by twoolf twoolf wrote:

Any suggestions for a FAST battery charger to use while the generator is running?

Deep cycles (D-C) DO NOT like rapid charges. That will reduce the number of recharges the batt will take in it's lifetime.

Unfortunately deep cycles require a stepped and slower charging protocol. Be sure to buy a charger with the deep cycle capability and at least a 10 amp setting!  Mine has a 20/10/5 capability. Your D-C batts will reward you with hundreds of recharges.

I have had no issues with just recharging for a few hours to top 'em off.

Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote prepmeister Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 14 2006 at 7:43pm
2ifbyC,

Thanks for the info, as you recommended, I went out tonight and found a deep cycle Black and Decker charger that even has a mode that you can select if it is a GEL battery or even AGM.  Although it has 15/10/5 amp capability. 
2ifbyC View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 2ifbyC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 14 2006 at 8:13pm

even has a mode that you can select if it is a GEL battery or even AGM.  

Nice! I wasn't aware that they have progressed that far. My charger is about 6/7 years old.

Have you nabbed that gen set yet?

Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote prepmeister Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 15 2006 at 2:15am
The Guy (good friend) will be moving in about 2-3 weeks.  He said he will bring a truck to my house wiht the generator at that time.  He did say it was in excellent condition.  I can't wait.  For now I am trying to get everything else in place.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic