Click to Translate to English Click to Translate to French  Click to Translate to Spanish  Click to Translate to German  Click to Translate to Italian  Click to Translate to Japanese  Click to Translate to Chinese Simplified  Click to Translate to Korean  Click to Translate to Arabic  Click to Translate to Russian  Click to Translate to Portuguese  Click to Translate to Myanmar (Burmese)

PANDEMIC ALERT LEVEL
Forum Home Forum Home > Pandemic Prepping Forums > Extra Prepping > Communication Issues
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Tracking the next pandemic: Avian Flu Talk

COMMUNICATION ISSUES

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
tybaltlives View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tybaltlives Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 12 2006 at 7:10pm

I got a nice radio (Freeplay Summit) - they are available from many places on the internet but I got mine from 21stCenturyproducts.  I paid about $60-$70 for it. 

I like it because it has a crank generator and a solar panel - plus a normal 110 volt wall charger.  The batteries are NiMh - which are nice and have no charge memory. 

It is also entirely digital with a scan feature.  Many of the cheaper crank radios only have analog tuning - and I think this would be difficult to use.  In the Freeplay, once you have zoned in on the signal you can store it in memory and easily get back to it when you need to. It plays am/fm and shortwave bands.  I think the shortwave feature will be useful if the local radio stations run out of power and stop broadcasting.

For local communication in the immediate neighborhood I have GMRS/FRS radios.  They use AAA batteries - and I have a solar charger for those.   The range is only about a mile, though - even though the advertised range is 10 miles!

-R

corky52 View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote corky52 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 05 2006 at 1:34pm

SAT INTERNET system with phone software!

TV antenna for local stations

SAT RADIO

SAT TV

Cell Phones with walkie talkie feature

Sats will be the last to go down! 

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 05 2006 at 11:26am

Heh.  It's been along time since I took the test (1977) - the FCC does'nt even have me on record anymore.  I talked to a Ham friend of mine and said they do lapse. 

Anyway - after long discussion with said Ham, I've concluded that 2-meter is probably the best way to go for what I'm seeking.  He and most of his Ham friends also maintain 2-meter set-ups.  We live an a suburban system with a heavy 2 meter infrastructure that has a lot of generator backup.

What I'm seeking is not so much the "big news" worldwide - I think I'll get enough of that sensationalist stuff.  I want news from all the towns and stuff within a 30 - 50 mile radius.   The stuff like, "If I leave my house to go to town, what's happening out there?"

Also, for myself and few likeminded friends, we'd like to simplex and not use the repeater system to communicate with each other.

The cost and technology is right - for $400 we can get up and running with a maybe 50 mile radius and airwave connection to many Hams.

The Downside: we can listen, but if we transmit, we're breaking the law until we get our Techniciains licenses, though I doubt we'd be hunted down unless we made nuisances of ourselves somehow.

The Upside: we can install, study ( my guides on the way and I already know Morse, which isn't even required any more for a Technicians), and if there's time, take the test at a local Repeater club.   If we run out of time, we still have a communication system.  

Anyway - that's the current game plan!

-The Rock is Gonna Fall on Us - Harry Chapin

wannago View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wannago Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 05 2006 at 12:27am
Aodhan
A short wave HF receiver would be enough to keep yourself informed.  I'm certainly not advocating getting in the way of real Hams, just if you have one in the neighborhood, they can keep you updated on what's happening worldwide. 

It took me so long to get to 25wpm morse; I can't face it again 
wannago
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 03 2006 at 10:48pm
Right now the problem is time.  To get on the really long bands requires an FCC license.  While I'm sure the FCC won't be knocking on our doors during an emergency, we'd not only be clueless but also in the way of the real Hams, who have proven, over and over again to be the backbone of communication in a true crisis.  However, it's not too hard to find CBs that have been modified to also transmit and receive in the 10 meter band, these also have builtin amplifiers boosting them from 4 watts CB to up to 200!  Alot of truckers have been doing this.  The 10 meter band has some distance and is also considered a 'Ham' band.  You could communicate with friends, as well as the outside world.  At your leisure, you could take the 35 question test and do the morse for the FCC to get legitmately on the band, but in the meantime, if H5N1 happens, you've got two-way, both CB and low level Ham for about a $500 investment.
wannago View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wannago Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 01 2006 at 4:18pm
Find a local Ham radio operator as they can communicate worldwide.    I used to be one but let my license lapse .  

There's someone round here as I spotted the antennae.  Must go and say Hi
wannago
Spoon View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Spoon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 31 2006 at 6:25am

CB radios are a great way to communicate when everything else fails.  A standard CB signal only travels about 4-8 miles, but mods can be made.

A friend of mine, who turned me on to this site, has done some research regarding converting base stations.  He found ways to enhance the signal across multiple states.

It's not cheap ($500-$700), but it might be a great way to continue this forum.

I, or my friend, will post more detailed info soon for anyone interested.

It's not so much the apocalypse... but the credit card bills ;-)
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 31 2006 at 5:58am
Self-Powered Radios

You can purchase small portable self-powered radios from Radio
Shack, that you can power-up for 30-minutes with one minute of hand
cranking.

Edited by Rick
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 30 2006 at 10:07am

Hand Crank cell phone charger (for obvious reasons)

Just google it. :) You can get one for about $20 USD.

Here is one site that sells it http://www.soscharger.net/ (I have not purchased from them so I can not endorse this company, I am simply giving an example)

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 29 2006 at 4:54pm

Important information on communications during a pandemic.

Internet access.

Walkie Talkies.

Telephone.

Cell Phones.

Text Messaging.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic