Click to Translate to English Click to Translate to French  Click to Translate to Spanish  Click to Translate to German  Click to Translate to Italian  Click to Translate to Japanese  Click to Translate to Chinese Simplified  Click to Translate to Korean  Click to Translate to Arabic  Click to Translate to Russian  Click to Translate to Portuguese  Click to Translate to Myanmar (Burmese)

PANDEMIC ALERT LEVEL
Forum Home Forum Home > Pandemic Prepping Forums > General Prepping Tips
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Tracking the next pandemic: Avian Flu Talk

GENERAL PREP ITEMS

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: GENERAL PREP ITEMS
    Posted: January 29 2006 at 6:17pm
Information on general items good for all sorts of emergecies, not just Avian Influenza.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 29 2006 at 6:18pm

Originally posted by meewee:

Here's a link for a list of things to stock up on to Survive the next disaster http://lacetoleather.com/hom.html

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 29 2006 at 7:01pm

Originally posted by muskrat concerning BOBs (Bug Out Bags):

http://www.aussurvivalist.com/bugout.htm

FIRST AID

Panadeine Forte
Antibiotics (Tetracycline)
Antioxidants
Trauma Dressing x 2
Crepe Bandages x 3
Triangle Bandages x 2
BurnAid Dressings
Betadine Spray
Savlon Cream
Antiseptic Soap
Non-Stick Dressings
Blister Band-Aids
Elastoplast
Butterfly Stitches
Clothing Shears
Tweezers
Immodium Plus
Insect Repellent
Sun Screen
Oil of Cloves
Sam Splint(s)

SELF DEFENCE

Capsicum Spray 17% or better
CO Wipes
Plastic Handcuffs
Expandable Baton

USEFUL ITEMS

Multitool
Knife
Sharpener
Pocket/Wire Saw
LED Torch
Spare Batteries
AM FM Radio
Knife Resistant Gloves
NBC Escape Mask
Camouflage Paint
Sleeping Bag
Emergency Blanket
Fire Starter
Fire Tinder
Poncho/Rain Coat
Gaff/Duct Tape
Titanium Crow Bar
Toilet Paper
Metal Cup
Towel
Tooth Brush
Tooth Paste
Cyalume Chemlight x 3 (red)
Microlight
Parachute Cord
Cold Coins/Cash
Prepaid Phone Card
Compact Binoculars
375ml Bundaberg Rum
Personal Radiation Dosimeter
Large Plastic Bags
Stuff Sacks
Resealable Bags

WATER / FOOD

CamelBak 3L
Water Purifying Tablets
Water Filter
Emergency Rations
Energy Bars
Comfort Food
Tea/Coffee/Hot Chocolate
Sugar
Hexamine Stove

CLOTHING

Spare Underwear x 3
Spare Socks x 3 pairs

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 29 2006 at 7:02pm

Originally posted by bruss01 regarding "Bugging Out":

One possible pandemic bug-out scenario:

Half of the fire department is out sick, the other half afraid to leave their homes for fear of infection.  A fire starts in the house four doors down from you.  High winds cause the flame to leap to the next house, then the next... you know you have only minutes to take what you can and GO before your house is engulfed in flame. 

Another:  The power has been out for a week.  It has rained incessantly for the past 3 days, and the storm water system is already full.  A river levy near you starts to overflow, and in the space of a couple hours, it has become a torrent.  The water is rising and you have to get out before you are trapped.

Do you have somewhere to go TO? Or will you simply be running FROM?  Sleeping in the local gymnasium on a cot with other refugees is not where you want to be during a pandemic.   Do you have essentials ready to go on a moment's notice - gas in your vehicle - travel cash - a destination?

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 29 2006 at 7:03pm

Originally posted by marjo:

Apart from all the other things mentioned, I also have copies of my passport, drivers licence, an extra bank card and cash money (small bills and change)  in my BOB.

Also my vaccin card, the passports of my dogs (important: they are vacc'd for rabiës!! In a crisis rabiës might pop up and the army might kill your dog if you can't proof they're vacc'd!)

Also copies of the official papers that proof I'm the owner of my houses and my cars, pictures of my dogs (in case we get seperated ) and a list of addresses and important telephone numbers.

All of this is in a watertight bag.

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 01 2006 at 7:38pm

Thanks I never thought of the papers  deeds  I D  safe in a dry container.

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 02 2006 at 12:56pm

Forgive me if I missed it somewhere but I have seen a lot of shopping lists that mention soap and shampoo and even waterless shampoo, but I dont recall seeing anywhere where someone mentions deoderant.

Antiperspirant will be very valuable, especially if you are prevented from showering every day.  Dont forget to get some! Your family members will thank you!

willow41 View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote willow41 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 02 2006 at 1:26pm

I've purchased waterless shampoo, and Attends bath washcloths. The washcloths are larger and come 48 in a package. They are already wet. I have young children and it will be much easier to use these to bath them with. And, will not tap into our water supply. The waterless shampoo is a liquid, but works like a powder. You put in on then towel dry your hair. It's supposed to remove oil,dirt,etc.

I've also purchased a lot of Toothetts. They are to take the place of toothpaste and toothbrushing, which would also require water.

These items can be purchased online at home health medical supply websites.

I will also have the following items stocked: contact solutions, extra contacts, shampoo, conditioner, deoderant, leave-in conditioner ( for use with waterless shampoo), after-bath powder(will help keep you clean/fresh smelling when you can't take regular baths/showers), baby bath, toothpaste, and extra toothbrushes. After being ill with any viral infection I would recommend changing toothbrushes.

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 02 2006 at 3:43pm
Great stuff Willow!
Ella Fitzgerald View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ella Fitzgerald Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 03 2006 at 10:36am

Here's my supply list. Please feel free to add to it because I know I am forgetting things. It is a never ending list.

Food

dried fruit and veggies, canned fruit and veggies, white rice, tortillas, beans (pinto, kidney, black), pasta (all types), pasta sauce (tomato, alfredo etc), saltine crackers, bagged cookies, canned meats (chicken, turkey, beef, spam, ham), nutrition bars, candy, snack crackers, peanut butter, beef jerky, gatorade, canned chili, canned pasta meals, canned soups, tea bags, coffee, canned tomatoes, salt/pepper, nutrition shakes, potatoe chips, breakfast bars, rice crispy treats, pet food & treats, bottled water (1 gal./day/person)

*I plan to buy some perishable foods but those won't last very long.

Paper products

toliet paper, paper towels, baby wipes, paper plates, paper napkins, plasticware, garbadge bags, paper cups, latex gloves, femine products, cotton balls, q-tips, kleenex anti-viral, goggles, hair covers, N95 masks, wax ear plugs, foil, plastic wrap, paper bags, plastic sacks, wax paper, plastic containers, plastic ziplock bags (all sizes), old newspapers

Cleaning agents

bleach, amonia, alcohol gel, liquid dish detergent, clorox wipes, lysol spray, antibacterial spray, toliet cleaner, liquid hand soap, laundry detergent, swifter wet floor wipes, windex

Medical items:

visine eye drops, nasal spray, childrens & adult ibuprofen and acetaminiphen, aspirin, benedryl, pediatlyte, milk of mag, pepto bismol, sinus decongestant, cough suppresant and decongestant, nyquil, thermometer, blood pressure cuff, stethescope, vasoline, triple antibiotic cream, anti itch cream, tums, splints, bandaids, gauze, medical tape, betadine, rubbing alcohol, hydrogen peroxide, latex gloves, alcohol wipes, butterfly tape, q-tips, prescription meds, tamiflu

Personal care items:

toothpaste, toothbrushes, waterless shampoo, baby shampoo, liquid antibacterial soap, deoderant, mouthwash, body spray, lotion, shave soap, disposable razors, cotton balls, cotton wipes, baby wipes

Survival items:

Candles, batteries, battery operated radio & TV, flashlights, solar lights, propane tanks, kerosene oil, kerosene lamp, shoval, 2x4 wood planks (windows), plywood (windows), camp cook stove with propane tanks, 5 gal. gasoline, sheets, blankets, pillows, cell phone batteries, walkie talkies, pressure cooker, water purification system, plastic sheets, duck tape, household tools, nails, contamination sign, shoval, plastic tarp, pots & pans, metal barrel, pocket knives, hand held can opener, spoons, ladles & spatulas, potable water (in bathtubs, old milk jugs and plastic containers), firewood, outdoor fire pit, charcoal, charcoal lighter, matches, lighters, buckets (to wash clothes, dishes), broom, water hose, plastic garbage containers, ice chests, spray bottles

Survival systems:

Heat, cold, water, waste disposal, decontamination area, isolation room for anyone who gets sick, cooking systems, cleaning systems for laundry & dishes, light, communication (TV/radio), protection from intruders, outside protection (wild fires & birds), pet waste, fire protection inside, power systems (generator, solar, battery etc.), transportation (car, motorcycle, bicycle), fishing poles & equipment, needle & thread

Sanity items:

chocolate, comfort foods, hobby items, paper, pens/pencils, crayons, markers, crossword puzzles, word search books, board games, books, pencil sharpener, stapler, tape, glue, scrapebook items, knitting, bead work, sewing supplies, paint, paintbrush etc....

I think that is it but I know I will think of other stuff later.......

Ella Fitzgerald View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ella Fitzgerald Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 03 2006 at 11:02am

I forgot nuts, pancake mix and lots of fast food packets of ketchup, mustard & mayonaise!

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 03 2006 at 11:22am
Tomorrow I am headed for Scottsborro, AL to the unclaimed baggage store.  This place is huge and has all kinds of things in it.  I am looking for cheap small day packs - multiple bugout bags, and other items that have not been opened, soap, tooth paste etc.  They have an unbelievable amount of stuff to look through.  If you live within a 4 hour drive or so it is a good place to look for "stuff".
jackson View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jackson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 03 2006 at 11:29am
I have actually heard of this place!!  It's where all unclaimed items from airlines go.  I know one person who said they went there and he said that you would not believe how much they have there!!!!
meewee View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote meewee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 03 2006 at 4:42pm
This week only...Albertson's is having a 10 for $10.00 sale on hydrogen peroxide and Loony Tunes 80 count baby wipes. These would come in handy for washing up and for wounds etc!
God Bless us all!
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 03 2006 at 8:01pm

Hi. I am a newbie to this sight. Wow this place is great. I noticed the first aid kit run away bag list and wanted to mention some new blood stop stuff on the market. It is called "Urgent QR" it's a brown looking powder but it really can stop bleeding from minor cuts quick. There is also an emergency dental kit which can be found in most drug stores too.  Alot of these items came over from the war medics and can be found easily  . - KJ
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 03 2006 at 8:14pm

I think I would like the Urgent QR for head wounds.  They bleed like the dickens and are hard to staunch.  Great tip Storm!

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 06 2006 at 12:46pm

i now beleive its important to increase the amount of  rice as this item can strecth  your food budget  I figure that I will have one years worth of rice and beans first then go back and add the extras.  canned fruit, tuna canned meat dried fruit and nuts  canned soup lot of garden seeds flour ,sugar cake mixes . I figure if your on a budget if you have enough rice for a year and beans .  Then add your extra as you go so t that if it hits next week you will at least  survive if it hits next month youwill be better til if it hits next year you wont miss a thing

I also realize there are friends and family I could help more if  had more rice and beans.   The first months  will be the most important later you can add from a garden.     

Edited by RBARNES55
tybaltlives View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tybaltlives Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 14 2006 at 10:16pm

I want to discuss a specific item that belongs in everyone's kit.  A knife sharpener.  Among the things you don't want to forget.  A sharp knife has many more uses than a dull one, and if you use your knife it is bound to get knicked and dulled even if you are careful.

When I grew up they had sharpening stones - two stones in one.  A coarse grit and a fine grit.  These are still available.  But there is a modern equivalent that works far better and faster. 

These days you can get sharpening "stones" that are really a soft metal matrix impregnated with hundreds of tiny diamond fragments. They work really well - and you can sharpen knives, scissors, needles, fishhooks - anything that needs an edge quickly and efficiently. 

Buck makes several sizes - but there are cheaper knock-offs as well.  I saw a portable combination one with coarse and fine faces available at the local hardware store for under $20.  With a diamond sharpening system you can have your knifes shaving sharp in a matter of minutes!

-R

fritz View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fritz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 15 2006 at 7:17pm

Posted this on the 100 things topic but it's worth repeating:

CONDOMS!

Be careful out there :>}

"I am only one; but still I am one, I cannot do everything, but still I can do something. I will not refuse to do the something I can do." -- Hellen Keller
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 15 2006 at 7:27pm
Non electric egg beater, K mart $7 -  over priced, yes. Saving my arm, priceless.
steve 101 View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve 101 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 16 2006 at 8:45pm

the clear plastic and hose to make a solar still. You townies i guess already know about it. 1 quart a day of pure fresh water. if you have a lawn area you could put 2 in.

Emergency Survival Tool

Fortunately, there is an emergency survival technique for gathering water from our driest deserts during their most brutal seasons. It is commonly known as the Solar Still. One of the most significant survival tools created in the last 40 years. the Solar Still was developed by two physicians working for the U.S. Department of Agriculture. Results of extensive testing in the Arizona deserts by the U.S. Air Force proved that when properly assembled, the still can save your life.

The Solar Still functions under the general principle of the "greenhouse effect". Solar energy heats the ground by passing through a clear plastic barrier. Moisture from the soil then evaporates, rises and condenses on the underside of the plastic barrier above.

The still also has the ability to purify tainted water. In fact, it condenses pure water from just about anything. Even urine will produce clean, drinkable water. (CAUTION: One fluid never to be used is radiator fluid, as its toxins will vaporize and poison the water.)

Materials

There are only 2 essential components to constructing the Solar Still -- a container to catch the water and a 6 x 6-footsheet of clear plastic. A shovel or trowel, a length of plastic tube and tape are all optional.

The container can be a collapsible cup, an empty plastic bottle, a small cooking pot or just about anything with a large enough opening to catch falling drops of water. In a pinch, even tin foil or a sandwich bag can be fashioned into a workable receptacle.

The sheet of clear plastic can be a ground cloth used under tents when backpacking or a thin painting drop cloth. Both work well as long as there are no tears or holes. This is the one item that should be carried at all times, since there is no natural substitute out in the boonies. I keep a 6 x 12-foot plastic drop cloth taped inside my daypack, large enough to make 2 stills if necessary. Some desert rats like to keep their plastic sheets folded inside a hip sack or as part of their first-aid kits.

A 6-foot length of flexible plastic tubing, similar to the kind used in fish tanks is a non-essential but desirable addition to the still components. This will allow you to drink accumulated water without needing to break down the solar still, inevitably affecting its efficiency.

Construction

The best part of this life-saving device is that for something that collects water from seemingly nothing, the solar still is amazingly simple to build. Here's how:

1. Dig a pit approximately 4 feet wide and 3 feet deep. Use a shovel, hand trowel, a digging stick or even your hands in soft soil or sand. Look for a sandy wash or a depression where rainwater might collect.

2. . In the center of the pit, dig another small hole deep enough for the water container.

3. Place the container inside, then run the tubing from the container to the outside of the pit. If there is tape available, tape the tubing to the inside of the container.

4. Blanket the pit with the plastic sheet, evenly on all sides, but not touching the bottom of the pit. Anchor the corners with rocks.

5. Find a small rounded rock to place in the center of the sheet, over the water container. This will keep the plastic centered and control any flapping from the wind. Gently push down on the center weight until the sides slope to a 45º angle. If the pit is dug deep enough, this should leave the center weight just a few inches above the water container.

6. Next, secure the edges of the plastic sheet with rocks and dirt. Make sure there are no places where moisture can escape.

7. Close the tubing end with a knot, or double it and tie it closed.

Within 2 hours, the air inside the still will become saturated with moisture and begin to condense onto the underside of the plastic sheeting. Because of the angle of the plastic, water will run down towards the center. Finally, drops will gather and fall from the apex down into the water container. As the container fills, simply sip fresh, sterile water from the plastic tubing. In especially dry conditions, water output can be increased by placing succulent plant material inside the still.

The Solar Still only takes about an hour to build. If constructed correctly, it can yield about a quart of water a day. And although the palm trees may be noticeably absent, you will have made your very own oasis in the desert, quicker than Hollywood could.

Edited by steve 101
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 16 2006 at 9:34pm

Wow, thanks for the information!

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 17 2006 at 1:28am
"...extra toothbrushes. After being ill with any viral infection I would recommend changing toothbrushes."
Good idea Willow41! Don't forget all of the wonderful uses of Baking Soda, such as toothpaste and a general household cleaning agent.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 19 2006 at 5:49am

Steve101

The solar still does work, but only extends the time you can survive without water.  They really don't make enough water to keep you going full speed - especially in the desert.  We made them in desert warfare school up around the Flagstaff, AZ area.  We were also taught to put things under the plastic that would yield moisture and condense on the plastic, like plants, as they heat up the moisture leaves and condenses on your plastic.  It has been 20 years since I was involved with hands on survival but I remember being told that urinating in the sand (not in the bucket) was appropriate if you are healthy.  The urine evaporates as water and collects to bucket.  Survival is all about extending, never give up, always find a way to extend, get to the next day then do it again.

I liked your post - it brought back memories of eating sand.

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 19 2006 at 6:06am
SEEDS>>SEEDS and more Seeds for gardening..even if you do not have a place to plant a veggie garden..seeds will be a great barter tool...you might come across someone that has a space for gardenind and no seeds and you can trade of..heirloom seeds are the best..but even if you take a few dollars and get yearly ones you would have some veggies...even if you are in an aprtment you have windows some veggies especially herbs will grow in the sill...you can purchase the long white trays and garden in those...
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 19 2006 at 8:19am
Ipod, rechargeable batts, solar charger, headphones, speakers. If TSHTF I will miss music most of all.
crystal View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote crystal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 19 2006 at 11:29am
Hi everyone! I've been monitoring this site for a week now and this is
my first post. This site is very valuable - full of great info! Everytime
I go through it I get in a small panic mode and I'm not one to worry
much about anything...I thought you all might be interested in a web
site I found for travelers but there are some great things to get for
medical emergencies, also things like water filters and purifiers,
collapsible water containers, etc. I'm going to South Africa next week
(very excited but a little afraid to leave right now when the ----
could hit the fan at any time) Here's the site:
http://www.travmed.com.
peace
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tybaltlives Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 19 2006 at 4:01pm

I have the ingredients for a solar still in my kit. 

On a similar note, I have read, but not actually tried, that you can take a plastic garbage bag and envelop a cactus or other tree/plant with it so that it sucks the water directly out of the plant (and it collects in the garbage bag).  I imagine some duct tape would be required and a tube to sip the water as well.

Anyone ever heard about or tired this technique?  It works on the same principle as the solar still dug into the ground but the moisture comes from a plant and you don't have to dig a hole.  Also, you probably need to be careful to remove the bag before you kill the plant (if you care about that)

-R

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 19 2006 at 4:24pm
Mr Bubble ...for the kids.-K
TNbebo408 View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TNbebo408 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 19 2006 at 6:10pm
There is a cowboy saying, no hooves no horse. Same goes for us. If TSHTF we will be on foot, MORE than usual, and conditions may not be good. Wet muddy feet can cripple you and your imune system.

Have plenty of extra heavy socks on hand.
Spare boots.
Foot powders if prone to problems.
And if foot problems arise, you can use bleach with water to cure atheletes foot. I have all my life.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 20 2006 at 7:01pm

Katrina taught us about the importance of having copies of all your important documents. Insurance dec. sheets, driver's license, bank statements, will, medical power of attorney. If you don't have the last two, you can get an inexpensive (but legal) will at office depo, medical power of attorney from your medical provider. Have them in your Bug-out bag, can save lots of headaches and will provide some peace of mind now.

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 22 2006 at 7:10am
I have a question for the Medical flubies.
Could I use a rubber rain slicker, rubber boot covers, and a regular plastic shower cap in place of the disposable medical gown, paper shoe and hair covers? I’m thinking I could have seven and bleach wash. At least when this is all over I would still have something to use from all this expense. I understand the need for disposable masks. Can anyone help me out?
calendula View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote calendula Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 22 2006 at 7:27am

I liked muskrat advise, seeds, seeds and more seeds,  have purchased quite a few to try and implement some vegetables once the BF strikes.  Assorted lettuces are easy to grow, not requiring a lot of space --you can grow lettuce in an apartment corner---lettuces contain quite a bit of water as well so it helps with the body hydration process.

I am not here to reason, I am here to create"
Mississipp Mama View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mississipp Mama Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 22 2006 at 10:36pm
  Hi Calendula, I bought lots on non-hybird seeds today.  Do you are anyone else know how to store them so they will be good for next year if needed.  I sure would hae to see them go to waste.  Any suggestion?
AuntBones View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AuntBones Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 23 2006 at 4:37am
Store your seeds in a air tight container.  
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 23 2006 at 6:30am
Well, no thanks to anyone here, I have my questioned answered.
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mississipp Mama Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 23 2006 at 7:24pm
   AuntBones thanks for the info.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 25 2006 at 12:12am

One thing I won't have to worry about is toilet paper!

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 28 2006 at 10:57am
Being an avid gardener I looked for a better way to store alot of my produce....along came the vaccum food sealer you see on t.v. the applications for this thing are limitless. vaccum seal your important documents, the seeds you are discussing, emergency clothes for your bug out bag (by vaccum sealing them you save space and prevent mildew) I admit the bags are EXPENSIVE. but they are reusable!!!! Another good purchase is a quality food dehydrator. almost any veggie can be dehydrated and stored in an airtight container. I have made dehydrated soup starter this way. Just and water!
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 01 2006 at 8:41am
A Bissel non electric BROOM. The old push ( brush on both sides) into a container on the unit. I got the short straw and was helping out today doing the floor with the mega dollar vac and thought how much fun this would be if no power. The bissel is being bought this afternoon. (copied from other thread) -K
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tybaltlives Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 01 2006 at 2:48pm

OK.  If you have $30 to $50 - get yourself a USB memory stick.  You shove it into the USB port on your computer and it acts like another small disk drive.  But writes faster, is smaller, and is more durable than a CD.

I just got a 1 GB one from Fry's for $40.  It is always in my machine and I keep my most current files on it.  If I really have to leave in a hurry  (without the computer), I can snap out the USB memory and at least get access to my files from any other computer.

Other than the cost, another drawback is that it has only about 2 CDs worth of storage space.  But it sure is easy to use.

Kirby View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kirby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 06 2006 at 3:20pm

Here's a recipe for making baby-type wipes for cleaning dirty faces, bottoms, bodies or whatever to save on water and expense:

Bottle of Baby Magic Bath

Roll good quality paper towels

1 1/2 cup water

Half gallon plastic container with lid

Use electric knife and cut paper towel roll in half (best to do several rolls in advance if power outage is anticipated) and remove the inner, hard paper roller.  Place towel roll inside plastic container. 

Mix 2 tablespoons Baby Magic Bath and 1 1/2 cup water and pour into container with towels.  Place lid on container and allow towels to absorb water. 

Keep lid on container to keep towels fresh and damp.  Pull towel from inside roll out first to start roll unraveling from inside out. 

Cheap, effective and uses little water and stores more than small pre-packaged commercial brands.

Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mississipp Mama Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 06 2006 at 6:44pm
  Hi advance Member,will you give me the name and number from the place you bought your vaccum food sealer?  Do you know how long the food will last once you seal it?  Does anyone know where I can find a good but reasonable price food dehydrater?  I really would appreciate your help . thanks a bunch.
detpat View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote detpat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 12 2006 at 10:35pm
i picked up a 256 meg jump drive that is built into a working pen.  it's easier to keep track of and you can hide it in plain sight if you need to.
     pat
never underestimate the power of human stupidity
Hope View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hope Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 12 2006 at 11:47pm

Mississipp Mama,

I got my food sealer at Costco long before I ever heard about the Bird Flu.  I love it.  It keeps meat frozen w/o freezer burn for months. 

Hope
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic