Click to Translate to English Click to Translate to French  Click to Translate to Spanish  Click to Translate to German  Click to Translate to Italian  Click to Translate to Japanese  Click to Translate to Chinese Simplified  Click to Translate to Korean  Click to Translate to Arabic  Click to Translate to Russian  Click to Translate to Portuguese  Click to Translate to Myanmar (Burmese)

PANDEMIC ALERT LEVEL
Forum Home Forum Home > Pandemic Prepping Forums > General Prepping Tips
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Tracking the next pandemic: Avian Flu Talk

condensation

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SinisterBlueCat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: condensation
    Posted: June 16 2006 at 4:13pm
ok, so i decided to follow some advice and here and freeze for three days some of my preps like flour and rice.  the flour did ok, but the plastic bags of rice are soaking wet from condensation.  any suggestions?
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 16 2006 at 4:29pm
I don't know what to tell you.  I don't freeze rice or flour or even sugar.  I vacuum pack them in their original containers.  No bugs,
I did get one bug infestation a couple of months ago.  The bugs arrived in a box of barley.  They got into some opened boxes of corn starch and other baking products.
I thought about freezing but that condensation is a killer even if vacuum packed first.
Maybe other people have some special way to do it
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 16 2006 at 8:44pm
Last week I froze bags of rice in my new freezer for 3 days. The outside of the bags got wet but I could see no signs of condensation within the bags.

I used ziplock bags - specificly the kind that say right on the box that they are for freezer use as they are heavier/thicker than the ordinary ziplock bags. I also made sure that the ziplocks on the bags were solidly shut.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 16 2006 at 9:17pm
Originally posted by SinisterBlueCat SinisterBlueCat wrote:

ok, so i decided to follow some advice and here and freeze for three days some of my preps like flour and rice.  the flour did ok, but the plastic bags of rice are soaking wet from condensation.  any suggestions?
   How high do you have your freezer set?  it would seem if it wasn't cold enough you would get condensation.  I froze flour/rice/sugar/beans/oats etc. during Y2K and just used the last of my rice about 7 months ago.....When I took them out  of the freezer originally the bags were a little damp...but everything stored ok.  Blessings!Smile
NawtyBits View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NawtyBits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 18 2006 at 6:34pm
I don't freeze my preps.  I have never seen a bug.  I sift my flour and sugar before using, again, no bugs.

Besides, bugs don't ruin rice, for example.  They don't eat much, and if you can't pick out the bugs, you get a little extra protein.

Freezing is over-rated.  Condensation inside your containers WILL spoil your food.

MOISTURE is the enemy of food, not bugs.

nawty
SinisterBlueCat View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SinisterBlueCat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 18 2006 at 6:44pm
i personally have had a bug problem in the past.  i noticed it once because i had these little moth things flying around in my kitchen.  then in an open box of pancake mix i found them crawling around, and they had some lacy web stuff in there with em.  YUCK!
NawtyBits View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NawtyBits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 18 2006 at 7:04pm
Nummy.....ok, not.  Air tight packages, like a 5gal pail,with 1500cc O2 absorbers and dessicant.

No air, no bugs, no moisture.

nawty
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 19 2006 at 8:00pm
Airtight packages should not condense moisture on the  inside.  They are vacumm packed, or have O2 absorbers don't they?  The moisture on the outside of the package is moisture from the air inside your freezer.  There is little to no air inside your package.  The amount of moisture remains constant.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 24 2006 at 10:30am
Originally posted by SinisterBlueCat SinisterBlueCat wrote:

i personally have had a bug problem in the past.  i noticed it once because i had these little moth things flying around in my kitchen.  then in an open box of pancake mix i found them crawling around, and they had some lacy web stuff in there with em.  YUCK!

Hi Cat: Those may be Indian Meal Moths. They are somewhat difficult to get rid of. There is a trap that you can buy that does a good job though. It consists of pheromone and a cardboard a-frame trap. The other thing that I learned to do is to close each box inside a ziplock bag.

When I shop i check the boxes and bags, especially of pet food, for the little webs in the corners etc. Those meal moths can eat through a lot of packaging. Ugh. I hate them.
Glenn 50 View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Glenn 50 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 25 2006 at 3:08am
Found a batch of  weevils or something in a lot of  unopened sealed pasta from the supermarket a month or two after purchase. Now if I am keeping them for preps I microwave the unopened  packets until hot before putting away.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic