Click to Translate to English Click to Translate to French  Click to Translate to Spanish  Click to Translate to German  Click to Translate to Italian  Click to Translate to Japanese  Click to Translate to Chinese Simplified  Click to Translate to Korean  Click to Translate to Arabic  Click to Translate to Russian  Click to Translate to Portuguese  Click to Translate to Myanmar (Burmese)

PANDEMIC ALERT LEVEL
Forum Home Forum Home > Main Forums > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Tracking the next pandemic: Avian Flu Talk

What will you do if family shows up?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: What will you do if family shows up?
    Posted: June 17 2006 at 8:04pm
You are prepped. Your family says your crazy along with neighbors. The BF hits and you close your place down. You have just enough food for the immediate group. 

Then a week later family shows up at the front gate. Alcoholic brothers, pushy overbearing sisters who hates guns, neighbors that smell bad, lazy neighbors who you only see if they need a favor and whoever else knows you.

What will your  response be? let them in? Keep them out? Put them out of your misery?
Penham View Drop Down
Chief Moderator
Chief Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Penham Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 17 2006 at 8:11pm
I have some extra rice, beans, oatmeal and a few canned goods to give to neighbors and family and will have to send them on their way. The only people I would let stay with me would be my daughters and their families, but only if they had already been quarantined in their homes and had not been exposed to anyone and came straight from their house to mine without coming into contact with anyone. They would have to also bring their weapons with them even if they have no other supplies to contribute I know they have weapons.
TrishaA View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TrishaA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 17 2006 at 8:21pm
How do you turn away from your own blood and allow them to die?  If my neighbor's little six year old came over starving how would I ignore her?
I'm stocking up on a lot of dried beans, rice and pasta.  I won't let anyone inside my house but I would try to put a nice container of bean soup or pasta and sauce etc outside for them.  I hope that most people will survive and you have to be able to look them in the eye.
looking for blue skies in a dust storm
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 17 2006 at 8:37pm

I strongly believe that these decisions must be made now.  Do not wait until the moment comes and then make the decision.  You must decide how long you feel you must quarentine, and prep for that time.  Then you can add extra for neighbors visiting family, charity cases etc. The point I am attempting to make is this.  If you feel your family of 4 must be isolated for 12 months and that is all you have planned for... letting anyone else in has doomed your family.  If you want to plan for extra people do so, but do not vary from the plan you have worked on. Do not make life altering decisions in the hear of the moment.

TCharley300 View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TCharley300 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 17 2006 at 9:14pm
Being a retired paramedic, one of the hardest things to do is called triage.  if you don't know what that is, it is basically making the decision who is going to live and who is going to die in some sort of a bad accident scene or  fire, or whatever th accident may be.

Family members are the toughest of all decisions that have to be made in triage. But, you have to look at it on another standpoint.  if the family member was a good standing member, they would either be helping you prep or doing something to at least encourage you along the way.

Well, when the SHTF, you are going to have to have a memory of how that family member has treated you in the past.  If they didn't help you,  why should you share your valued supplies with a moocher? 

Do you think just because they come to you when they want something or are in need, what makes you think that they are going to change their attitude once things return to a somewhat "normal" condition. 

This might come down to a survival standpoint.  Let's hope not, but the real possibility is there. So it comes down to the one stinging question--whose life is more important--yours or theirs. 

Yes, they're tough decisions, but that's what seperates the good leaders from the followers.
TCharley 300
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 17 2006 at 9:25pm
I didn't give this much thought untill yesterday.  My oldest son who is 20 and I were talking about the BF.  I said to him you really need to get some extra water and food.  I told him this MONTHS ago.  Well, he said "Oh are you talking about that bird-thingy you said something about a while ago"?  UUUGGGGG......My other son who is younger than him starting giving him a lecture full of BF facts and deaths and current situation.  I was very proud at least ONE of my five is taking this to heart! 

Well, now I have figured out more rice/beans/pasta etc........Ya know, for the "Bird-thingy"!!!!!!!!!!!!LOLLOL
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 17 2006 at 9:54pm

Most of my family are on the East Coast, however I have a couple of nieces and a nephew in the state - but I haven't seen them since they were babies.  (Don't talk to their Mom/one of my sisters.) 

HOWEVER, family is family and if they showed up I would take them in.  In general I have about 4 months supplies in, but some items I have even more of.  Additionally I have "sharing" supplies -- while not fancy, they will keep you alive -- ramen, rice, flour, beans, soups, pasta, tomato sauce.  I could feed additional mouths with what I have in place.

My parents (who are long gone now) taught us that family ties are binding.  You might be angry at each other and not talk, but if they needed a helping hand you have to provide it. 
MelodyAtHome View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MelodyAtHome Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 17 2006 at 10:26pm
I already told my friend in Fl if she comes up to ohio she will be quarantined for 10 days in the pole barn maybe 2 weeks or my brothers cabins out back. Even if they say they were quarantined I will have to not believe them...even though they are the most honest people I know...known my friend for 30 years....but I have my kids to keep alive.
Melody
Emergency Preparedness 911
http://emergencypreparedness911.blogspot.com/
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 17 2006 at 10:29pm
Regarding neighbors:

We aren't prepared to give valuable food to neighbors.  If you give to one, then he tells another, who tells 5 more. 

On the flip side, you may need help from your neighbors, if one of your family members comes down sick or you need food in six months.

I think that it is best to tell your neighbor that you'd help, if you could.  Don't burn any bridges with your neighbors by letting them think you have food and don't offer to help them.  Your turn for requiring assistance may come too.   You also might think you're more prepared than you are.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 17 2006 at 11:33pm
Originally posted by oldasrocks oldasrocks wrote:

You have just enough food for the immediate group

Well, you can't know that - and that creates the problem in deciding who and how many you can help. You may have more than enough food or you may be short. You can only guess as you don't know how many waves there will be and what will be in short supply between waves. So, your decision will be based on your best guess as to how adequate your food supply is.

Not black and white at all. If you care about the people you turn away, I bet you'll be agonizing about whether your best guess is accurate or not.
brianages View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brianages Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 17 2006 at 11:37pm
I would let them in and share what I have. Our planning includes overstock for just such an event including a few neighbors and friends.
Brian Ages - Tybee Island - GA
bellabecky View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bellabecky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 18 2006 at 12:45am
Originally posted by Melody4Avon Melody4Avon wrote:

I already told my friend in Fl if she comes up to ohio she will be quarantined for 10 days in the pole barn maybe 2 weeks or my brothers cabins out back. Even if they say they were quarantined I will have to not believe them...even though they are the most honest people I know...known my friend for 30 years....but I have my kids to keep alive.

I think it is a good idea to have all this planned and said in advance. It will be so hard to set limits and boundaries when/if you are in a bad situation. I have been doing the same. If family shows they have to stay in the RV by themselves for a week or two. I have been stocking-up the rv, just in case. Only soup, canned fruit and water. I can put up to four in the boat too...I have put power bars and water in the boat, hope to get it more stocked in case too. Plodding along trying to get prepared for anything.

And the neighbors--they are the ones who have been banning Wal-Mart in my area (signs in the yard, meeting,picketing, etc), they get nothing!!!

Been doing lots of canning...got 5-#10 cans of powdered milk for $25.00 (25lbs) recently-great deal! For some reason it makes me feel better to have the milk??    

Glenn 50 View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Glenn 50 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 18 2006 at 12:57am
Re inlaws...let the attractive ones stay and throw out the ugly ones...LOL
ozjohn View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ozjohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 18 2006 at 1:51am
I have a list of close loved ones, if they are not on 'the list' then too bad!

OJ
Scout motto - "Be Prepared"
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 18 2006 at 1:56am
How does one accept the power of God? Cause that's what you're talking about here. If you let one person in but not someone else, then you are effectively choosing who lives and who dies. Whether they die from the BF or starvation is immaterial really. Heck of a choice ain't it?  And one that's easy to make now, but push come to shove, will you stick to that choice?

Me? Family gets in cause the family knows i'm prepping. They can eat my old stockpile of MREs, but they'll get in. The neighbors, well, i'mentioned the subject to them, and they all think i'm some 'crazy survivalist nut left over from Y2K'...so they'll get nothing.

My biggest worry, however, isn't needy family or neighbors. My biggest worry is six hundred thousand starving mexicans ten minutes from my home...
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 18 2006 at 5:26am
Let's have some clarity here!

Turning someone away does NOT condemn them to death. Only a fraction of the population will get any kind of flu, and a much smaller fraction will die from it.

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 18 2006 at 6:43am
Interesting answers.  Whatever a person does it may come back to haunt him or her. My main question would be "Are they infected?" There is no way of knowing this  without quarantine.

If it is the worst case Scenerio it  would transmit easily and kill a high percentage of victims. I would have a tough time turning away friends and could never turn family away. I do think it would be a matter of control.  I would go crazy quick if I let a family member in and from then on heard how I'm doing everything wrong. I think you would have to make it very clear that you are in charge, you are the one who prepped, you're letting them in out of the goodness of your heart.

too many cooks spoil the broth.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 18 2006 at 7:20am
As much as I have I will share with whoever is brought my way. Everything that is currently in our house doesn't really belong to us anyway since everything we have, well, you may not like my spiritual answer, but everything we have is the Lord's anyway. (I can't seperate my beliefs out of my life).

If someone is in need, hurting, or ill, I hope and pray that we have the strength to be a blessing in their lives.

Like it or not folks, we are all in this together. We will all have to live or die with our decisions.

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 18 2006 at 7:50am
I am prepping for: Myself & DH, 2 grown kids with 4 grandkids, 2 sisters & their families, 3 sisters in law & their families and I plan on at least 100 1lb packs of rice & beans to give away when the time is here. We are not talking gourmet, just beans, rice, milk, oats & some TVP. I have been very blessed for having a husband who loves me enough to let me prep for all of us, (I have completely depleted our savings) even though at times he asks if we have enough yet. He also follows my wishes on sharing with anyone who asks. 

Edited to ask if anyone actually knows what "enough" is ? LOL!
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 18 2006 at 8:21am

It's a hard call to make.  There are so many possible scenarios.  What if that neighbor in need turns out to be the very person WE need to help us get through this? 

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 18 2006 at 8:40am
" Only a fraction of the population will get any kind of flu, and a much smaller fraction will die from it. "

RJ:  Actually the epidemiologists have some very scary forecast models.  In the severe forecast, the models show 90 million ill in the US. 

Current mortality rates for H5N1 are 50+%.  The last numbers I looked at put the severe forecast mortality at 1.9 million Americans.  The light forecast shows 209 thousand dead.  Those are pretty horrific numbers in my book.

Reference sites for these numbers are HHS / White house panedmic flu plans (link thru pandemicflu.gov) and Nebraska public health laboratory spring 2006 newsletter.

Fiction Writer - I'm with you.  I live in El Paso and can see Mexico from my street.  I wish they'd get that fence built NOW.  (Not that it's going to be much of a barrier.) To be fair, most Mexican's I know are decent, hard working people -- I'm worried about the gangs of teens/young adults that are going to use this as an excuse to come loot along with the criminal element in Juarez.  Let's hope the Border Patrol and Minute Men are spared.

Maybe the President had this in mind when he ordered the National Guard to the border?

K.

TrishaA View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TrishaA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 18 2006 at 8:46am
Everyone that I care for and live near has a home.  I will share my food but I wouldn't put my immediate family at risk by allowing them in my house. Once we are in...we are in for as long as necessary and no one else is passing through my front door.  However, I will, as I said, put food out for them to take home if I have it. Two bags of dried beans , a box of ditalini pasta and  a little tomato sauce makes a substantial pot of soup and cost less than $3.00. That's a small price to pay to keep a family from starving.  Each time I shop I pick up a few bags of dried beans for 79 cents each.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 18 2006 at 8:46am

If the answers were easy and clear cut, we would not have to discuss how to handle it, and everyone would be equipped to be a leader, and make hard decisions.

I have a friend who flew helocopters in Vietnam.  He would fly in and take troops under fire out of the area.  The helicopters could only lift off with so many people in it.  He said the hardest thing he had to do was cut a rope that a GI was trying to climb into the copter with, because they couldn't lift off with his weight. He said when he would cut the rope, and his eyes met the eyes of the man attempting to get in it was hard. He had to do this on more than one occasion.  He knew the man he left behind would probably be tortured and killed, but if they could not fly away, everyone in the copter would face that fate.  Tough decisions require leaders.

purplepanther View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote purplepanther Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 18 2006 at 9:22am
First I would give some food to my grandma and step grandfather and some to a friend of my parents who help me put some shelves and didn't charge me for putting them up so I will give him some.  The rest of the family I will give rice , soup mix , and few other things although I won't give them like powder eggs ,powder milk and some of the good stuff  cause I prepared and they didn't at least they wont starve.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 18 2006 at 9:43am
kr105-

I think you are referencing the CASE Fatality Rate. MANY people are exposed who do not come down with the disease. Epidemiologists do NOT have a basis for any severe forecasts, because the virus has not completed the necessary mutations, nor is there a valid model from which to extrapolate to an infection rate. The ones with the most severe forecasts seem to get the most press.

Using your own worst case data, however, an average of 1 in 16 people knocking on your door might have the flu, and you might stand a 1 in 16 chance of contracting it from that person, assuming no other exposure. So helping out 16 family members/neighbors might increase your risk by half a percent. [Not much thought went into this math! Could be an error somewhere. Seems low!!!]
detpat View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote detpat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 18 2006 at 9:51am
  having been in similar situations, and made these hard decisions, and having observed others do the same, often harder ones, i can say from a stand point of experience that no one knows what they will do until the pucker factor reaches maximum!  i believe that this is what engenders severe guilt afterwards.  when it gets real people make choices that they never could have done before, choices that change their lives forever.  sometimes these choices make us look at ourselves a little harder and we don't always like what we see.  the choice might be an absolute necessity for survival of you and yours, but many second guess themselves for the rest of their lives.

in a less serious note, i have seen people say that they would never eat a bug, ever, but when you get hungry enough you will.  i know that one for a fact.  the biggest problem that i see is when someone says that they won't fight or kill.  then they always change their mind when they see a loved one threatened or attacked, they then start to fight.  unfortunately it's too late then.  for them and for their loved ones.  how many of the avowsd pacifists here could say truthfully that you would sit quietly on the couch and watch your children or spouse beaten or raped?  at that point everything changes.  if you are responsible for others, family, etc.  then you need to take that responsibility seriously and not just give lip service to that obligation.  if you don't then you are just as responsible as the criminal that commits the crime.  how do you look at yourself in the mirror then.  obviously you won't shoot anyone that comes near, and anyone who says that sort of thing is an ass and not fit for adult company.
  pat
never underestimate the power of human stupidity
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 18 2006 at 10:05am
I've tried to stockpile extra to have for others where needed. But without knowing what we're up against when is it enough? Those few people that I know who think there is a remote possibility say they will go to the store when they hear it's in the US. They have more money than I do. I have sacrificed my evenings, week ins, daily food and medicine to prepare. I am very tired.
 I will wait until asked before I give anybody anything. 
TrishaA View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TrishaA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 18 2006 at 11:17am
Been doing lots of canning...got 5-#10 cans of powdered milk for $25.00 (25lbs) recently-great deal! For some reason it makes me feel better to have the milk??
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Bellabecky.....I've only found powdered milk in envelopes and they are expensive..  where do you find them in 10lb cans?    
Seajane View Drop Down
advanced Member
advanced Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Seajane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 18 2006 at 12:39pm
Food for thought:

Between Dec. 26, 2003 and Oct. 24, 2005, there were 121 confirmed H5N1 infections and, of those, 62 have reportedly died. That makes the “apparent” death rate just over 51 percent, ranking this infection among the most deadly on record.

However, thousands of mild and asymptomatic cases are going undetected as detailed by Dick Thompson, a spokesperson for the World Health Organization (WHO). In an interview granted to CIDRAP (Center for Infectious Disease Research and Policy) News on March 9, 2005, Thompson said that the case-fatality rate had been overstated. Documented cases were those where the patients were sick enough to seek medical care in a hospital and, predictably, they had very poor outcomes. He concluded, “Surely others were infected and either not getting sick or not getting sick enough to seek treatment at a hospital. Factoring those into the CFR [case-fatality rate] has been impossible. We simply don't know the denominator.”[2]

To illustrate, if 62 people died, but 10,000 had actually been infected, the death rate would be 0.62 percent, essentially insignificant. Therefore, without knowing how many are infected, the death rate is being highly inflated

Scotty View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scotty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 18 2006 at 2:17pm
Rjay: Your instincts are good. The figure does look low.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 18 2006 at 2:41pm
Scotty-

I think at least one of my mistakes is that once one of the 16 additional family members gets the avian flu, the probability that the original family catches it would be ABOVE the national average, because of more intensive contact.

There just aren't enough data to do the calculations, since birds are still the principal species affected. We just don't know EITHER the eventual infection rate or the case fatality rate.

Guess I should'a kept quiet!
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 18 2006 at 4:44pm
detpat: No one that knows me would mistake me for a passivist. I am ferocious when it comes to defending someone who is being bullied. I can be pretty intimidating when provoked. It just seems to be a natural instinct that sometimes I do struggle to control. I really hate evil and have battled it for a long time. Battles do seem to make you tougher. What is that saying? What doesn't kill you makes you stronger. As I have stated on other threads when this was discussed, I would protect my family members and neighbors from anyone who would endanger our safety.

There is a huge difference between someone looking for food, water or shelter from someone looking to rape and pillage. Someone coming to create havoc will be dealt with. People honestly seeking shelter from the storm will find it as I am able to provide. Yes, there may be a time when I have to close my door, post some guards and tell people to move on. If they refuse and are threatening us they will get every opportunity to move on.

There may be roving gangs out to take advantage of a horrible situation. I am not naive. I am not stupid either. Walk tall and carry a big stick.

I do believe that good always defeats evil in the end. It just may take a while to get to the end. What is truly right never changes and neither does what is truly wrong.

Would I kill someone for food or water? No. That would be murder and a demonstration of a lack of faith.
Would I kill someone attacking someone else to maim or kill them? If there was no alternative, yes. That is not murder.
Would I kill someone as an act of vengeance? No. That is murder. Vengeance is mine sayeth the Lord.
Would I steal for food or water if I or my loved ones were about to die. I would try to exhaust all alternatives first. I don't know where my will to survive would take me but I would pray to be delivered from the temptation to sin.
Do I think that a pandemic would cause a total breakdown in the fabric of our society? Nope, I really do not. I think that we will all be surprised by the amount of every day heroes we have walking our streets. I believe this will be very difficult but like the generations before us we will rise to the occasion and get through this.

I pray none of us are faced with tough decisions like the above mentioned scenarios.

So back to the original question: If family shows up they are certainly welcome but they must work.

detpat View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote detpat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 18 2006 at 6:07pm
  actually it may surprise you that i agree with you on many things.  i'm just not willing to take food from the mouths of my family to feed someone that didn't listen beforehand.  that said, the decision must be made on the spot as you may want to save your family, or you may not be able to turn away that pulls at your heartstrings.  may statement about the hard choices can go either way, not just the hard hearted or violent one. 

unfortunately, i don't agree with you on the societal questions.  most people are good, but not brave.  only a few bad persons in a group can terrorize a pretty big area.  if it get to the point of breakdown of services and civil order, you will be on your own.  there is no good reason that you should be victimized, or lose your preps or family let alone your life or dignity.  if you're standing at your window waiting for the opportunity to shoot someone, then you ARE one of the bad guys, you just haven't joined a pack yet.
  BtW did i also mention that i am also an ordained minister?
  best pat
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 18 2006 at 7:15pm
detpat: I am pleased to make your acquaintance

So maybe I should be harder on those who cannot hear the warnings now. Maybe I am too softhearted and buy into the pop psych. soc. of the day by believing that some people just cannot hear that there is something major coming their way. They are in denial! They are good people who may choose good someday but for right now they aren't comprehending this. Some are brothers and sisters. We should turn them away?

This thread blends so well with what we are talking about in the religion room. Basically moral ethics.

We cannot pick and choose what we want to follow in the Bible. We are to give to all who ask. I pray for God to cover me. That is all I can do.

On the other side of the debate we have:

Noah and his family who were shut into the ark by God. All who were in the ark must of heard the people screaming and crying unless God shielded them from that. God sealed the ark and the inhabitants could not let anyone in. Those that did not hear the warnings by watching poor Noah build the ark on his front lawn for 120 years, too bad!

An act of God closed the doors. So again, I pray for God to intercede before the question arises. Close our doors, please.

This is all something to consider and debate about. I pray that more people here can view the Bible as a resource instead of something that people want to beat them over the head with.

detpat View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote detpat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 18 2006 at 11:18pm
 my lady,
             even though we may differ on the answers to some questions, and i may sound harsh in my answers, i believe that you must look into your heart and make your own ultimate decision.  i may disagree with you , but i would never condemn you for your choice.

i am hoping for the best, but planning for the worst.

God Bless, pat
roxy View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roxy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 19 2006 at 6:08am
hi to all,  I hav e started this post many times , and there is no easy answer. you will do what you have to do when the time comes. in my case , i know there is family, i will try to help , but not at the expense of my immediate family. the problem , will be my children, who get that this is going to happen, and help to prepare in small ways, but i know , they will want to feed everybody, and in the back of their minds this will be only temporary, food will come back to the stores , and this is only a  blip in their lives. the hard choices will be mine alone, roxy
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 19 2006 at 6:28am
Blessings to you too, detpat. Hug

One way or another, we will get through this. I just pray that everything that we have all feared is just vapor.

I too am hoping for the best and preparing for the worst, as I am able. I just hope people do not compromise their souls to prepare for the short term when there are long term implications in everything that we think and do. No one is 100% righteous. Without a kinsman redeemer no one will be able to stand.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 19 2006 at 6:45am
Roxy: I hear your heart. Mine breaks daily when I look into peoples eyes and I see no hope in them. Precious children and teens who don't know and their parents don't know or don't care. This is what I cannot adjust to.

My kids friends are telling me that they are coming to our house. I have told them that they are welcome to share all that we have for as long as we have it. When its gone, its gone. There isn't much anyway. We are not set up to isolate or quarantine. I don't think that it will be necessary since we all have to develop antibodies. Stem cells and DNA manipulation for vaccines is just a little too intrusive for me so I wouldn't be one to jump on that bandwagon. To each his own I guess.
detpat View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote detpat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 19 2006 at 7:41am
  so true standingfirm, ultimately you only have to answer to your own conscience and your creator.
  pat
Christy View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Christy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 20 2006 at 12:10am

My door is and always will be open to any family member for any reason at any time, Period.

This includes my brother’s and sister’s families, our parents, aunts and uncles, cousins and their children. I could only wish that we all be together in the event of pandemic.

There is not one of us who would take food out of the others' children’s mouths and there is no one else on earth I would trust to defend, protect and provide for my children and grandchildren if I am not able to.  

In recent years there have been several serious crises in each branch of our family tree. No matter how desperate any situation became, one thing has always been certain: We take care of each other. Mine isn't a "grandma died, lets fight over her stuff" kind of family. (Yes she did, and no we didn't). We hold each other up and learn to move on. For many years I never realized how special that is, I always thought that’s what family does. I thank God for mine every day.

People talk of forming groups within their neighborhoods for “safety in numbers” issues and combining skills/assets. Having family show up on my doorstep would be a godsend compared to any perceived alliance with neighbors. Their duty is to their families, not mine.  

Before you shoot me down and say I’m living in lala land, stop. Most have at least one RV or camper and can share with those that don’t. These are kept stocked and can also include what’s in the boats and kitchen cupboards. This helps to address housing, food and quarantine issues and the supplies likely exceed the prepping I’ve been able to do so far. 

Considering the oldest man in this house is my 17yr old son, I'd also be grateful for the added protection.

When you consider all the amenities self contained vehicles bring to a disaster situation, the skills of each person, as well as being among a group you love and trust like no other, I can’t think of a better position to be in.

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 20 2006 at 12:40am
I am buying rice sauce etc to give away.

The thing is what if there is no power supply and they have no means to cook it?

I don't know what the answers are for this one until the time comes.

We could cook it for them but would use up our fuel.

Very difficult to know in advance what the situation will be.

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 20 2006 at 11:00am
Originally posted by oldasrocks oldasrocks wrote:

You are prepped. Your family says your crazy along with neighbors. The BF hits and you close your place down. You have just enough food for the immediate group. 

Then a week later family shows up at the front gate. Alcoholic brothers, pushy overbearing sisters who hates guns, neighbors that smell bad, lazy neighbors who you only see if they need a favor and whoever else knows you.

What will your  response be? let them in? Keep them out? Put them out of your misery?
I'm going to tell my in-laws that they're going to have to work for anything I might give em......................I figure that'll drive em away.
Glow View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Glow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 20 2006 at 8:29pm
I too as many of you have added extras to my supplies to help family and some neighbors.  But I must say, that it makes me a bit angry now to hear some of these people who I'm thinking of helping should this thing come to pass say things to me like, "you are going overboard", or "you are a worry wart" and even one who said that perhaps "I was suffering from generalized anxiety disorder"...by the way, nothing wrong or offensive of suffering and being medicated for generalized anxiety disorder...I guess it is most that look in their eyes that angers me....but I'm like standingfirm, I can't separate any part of my life from my spiritual life.......but one thing for sureeeeeeeeeeeee no one is coming into my house...any extra food will be left for them in my front porch. 
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 21 2006 at 7:02pm
I am not critisizing anyone's intents or actions.  I just want to point out a few things.
  If somebody is coming to your house for food or shelter, it COULD have the same result as if they were coming to kill you.  They could infect you, the food you give away could be just that amount you needed to stay alive long enough for a vaccine.
  If the gift of life is one of the most precious gifts God has given you? Wouldn't he want you to be prudent in protecting it?
  I do not mean this as putting down anyone's choices, I just mean to show there are many ways of looking at the potential situation.
Legacy View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Legacy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 22 2006 at 9:45am
OK...lets take this a step further. I have secured enough Tamiflu for myself and my husband (we are child-free) How will those of you with Tamiflu handle it when or if, say, your 3 year old neice is stricken? I'm interested in the answers to this question, because I think it's a great study in human nature...don't you?
I do everything my Rice Crispies tell me to....
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic