Click to Translate to English Click to Translate to French  Click to Translate to Spanish  Click to Translate to German  Click to Translate to Italian  Click to Translate to Japanese  Click to Translate to Chinese Simplified  Click to Translate to Korean  Click to Translate to Arabic  Click to Translate to Russian  Click to Translate to Portuguese


Forum Home Forum Home > General Discussion > General Discussion
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Student Health Alert - email from my university
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Online Discussion: Tracking new emerging diseases and the next pandemic.

Student Health Alert - email from my university

 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Message
hachiban08 View Drop Down
Senior Admin Group
Senior Admin Group
Avatar

Joined: December 06 2007
Location: California, USA
Status: Offline
Points: 12767
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hachiban08 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Student Health Alert - email from my university
    Posted: November 22 2013 at 3:48pm
Hey all, my school just sent this via email. I am a part of the University of California system, and I guess UC Santa Barbara just had some new cases ( I don't go to that one, btw).


Student Health Alert

Meningococcal Disease can be fatal within 24 hours after the first symptoms appear.  

Seven cases at Princeton University and three cases at UC Santa Barbara: The current meningococcal disease outbreak at Princeton University and new cases at UC Santa Barbara remind us of the importance of prevention and vaccination within the college community.

What is Meningitis?

Meningitis is a bacterial infection of the membrane around the brain and spine, and sepsis – a bloodstream infection. It is a sudden, life-threatening infection that often occurs in otherwise healthy people, without warning.

About 1 in 10 of those who contract meningococcal disease die despite treatment, and up to 1 in 5 survivors suffer from permanent disabilities such as brain damage, hearing loss, or learning difficulties.

How do you contract it?

Meningococcal bacteria can be passed between people through coughing, sneezing and direct contact, such as kissing.  While the meningococcal bacteria can cause deadly disease, some people can harbor and spread the bacteria to others, without necessarily becoming ill themselves.

What should you do?

Get vaccinated! Five main groups cause the majority of meningococcal disease. Four of them are preventable with a simple vaccine.

 

Follow ongoing updates from the CDC on their Meningococcal Disease page. The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) recommends meningitis vaccinations for all unvaccinated college students through age 21, or who are living in a dorm.

Is there anything else I can do ?  Yes .

Do NOT share anything that comes in contact with the mouth, including:

       water bottles

       lip balm

       toothbrushes

       towels

       drinking glasses

       eating utensils

       cosmetics

       smoking materials

       food or drink from common source (e.g., punch bowl)

Do not cough into another person's face. Cough safely into your sleeve or a tissue. Wash or sanitize hands frequently.

Vaccinations are available through your primary care provider. For students covered under SHIP, meningitis vaccinations are 100% covered at Student Health. Students covered under private insurance will need to contact their insurer to determine if they face any cost.

We encourage you to follow ongoing updates from the CDC and other sources:

 http://www.cdc.gov/meningococcal/

http://www.novartisvaccines.com/newsroom/princeton-outbreak.shtml
Be prepared! It may be time....^_^v
Back to Top
Littleraven View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member
Avatar

Joined: May 10 2006
Location: United States
Status: Offline
Points: 438
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Littleraven Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 24 2013 at 5:51pm
Thanks hachiban! Yes very serious stuff. My mother had caught it and almost didn't make it.  She became sick after a severe ear infection of all things and wouldn't at first see a doctor. Her temperature shot up very high and we rushed her to the hospital. So you can also easily catch it when you get run down from other illnesses.  The doctors said that she may have even gotten it from the ear infection itself as the ear and sinuses can transfer an infection to the nearby membranes and blood. Take care of illnesses right away. Stay well!
There's a Bad Moon on the Rise
Back to Top
Crying Out Loud View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member


Joined: September 27 2013
Status: Offline
Points: 1395
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Crying Out Loud Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 24 2013 at 7:30pm
Originally posted by Littleraven Littleraven wrote:

Thanks hachiban! Yes very serious stuff. My mother had caught it and almost didn't make it.  She became sick after a severe ear infection of all things and wouldn't at first see a doctor. Her temperature shot up very high and we rushed her to the hospital. So you can also easily catch it when you get run down from other illnesses.  The doctors said that she may have even gotten it from the ear infection itself as the ear and sinuses can transfer an infection to the nearby membranes and blood. Take care of illnesses right away. Stay well!


Individuals and their families become sick with ear infections, sinus infections, stomach flu etc. Most people can be, or are already educated (some even better than their quackish doctors) on what medications, including antibiotics and pain medication, that they may need.

The problem is that the medical doctors, don't want to give up the cut they get, for being the all wise, priestly middle man, between you and your antibiotics, etc. People who can, and are willing to be the manager of their own health care, are forced into health care programs, that they are plenty capable of doing on their own, without contacting a doctor.

I know when I am sick with ear and sinus infections, the last thing I want to do is get in my car and attempt to drive when I am not well, and should not be out and about. Having the right medications on hand, in my own home before hand, enables me from contaminating others, and from picking up another form of contamination, which can easily happen, by my forced visit to some medical merchant.

After an attempt to get well without the antibiotics, I am quite confident that I can make a rational decision as to what antibiotic and pain medication would be best to add, to aid my immune system in fighting off the infection. I see no reason to believe that other individuals are not just as capable as I am.

Doctors, nurses and many other individuals, have become time and money wasting curses to the masses of individuals, who desire to be enabled to care for their own health, and the health of their loved ones. These undesired medical middlemen, need to have their life support cut off. They no longer serve a beneficial or practical purpose, and are one of the biggest causes of illness, because they need individuals to infect each other, in order to capitalize off of this backward ideal.

How ignorant to criminalize getting medications without the blessing of a merchant physician.
Back to Top
Turboguy View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Avatar

Joined: October 27 2007
Status: Offline
Points: 5399
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Turboguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 24 2013 at 8:43pm
Originally posted by Crying Out Loud Crying Out Loud wrote:


Individuals and their families become sick with ear infections, sinus infections, stomach flu etc. Most people can be, or are already educated (some even better than their quackish doctors) on what medications, including antibiotics and pain medication, that they may need.

The problem is that the medical doctors, don't want to give up the cut they get, for being the all wise, priestly middle man, between you and your antibiotics, etc. People who can, and are willing to be the manager of their own health care, are forced into health care programs, that they are plenty capable of doing on their own, without contacting a doctor.

I know when I am sick with ear and sinus infections, the last thing I want to do is get in my car and attempt to drive when I am not well, and should not be out and about. Having the right medications on hand, in my own home before hand, enables me from contaminating others, and from picking up another form of contamination, which can easily happen, by my forced visit to some medical merchant.

After an attempt to get well without the antibiotics, I am quite confident that I can make a rational decision as to what antibiotic and pain medication would be best to add, to aid my immune system in fighting off the infection. I see no reason to believe that other individuals are not just as capable as I am.

Doctors, nurses and many other individuals, have become time and money wasting curses to the masses of individuals, who desire to be enabled to care for their own health, and the health of their loved ones. These undesired medical middlemen, need to have their life support cut off. They no longer serve a beneficial or practical purpose, and are one of the biggest causes of illness, because they need individuals to infect each other, in order to capitalize off of this backward ideal.


So, which antibiotic are you going to take for a staph infection of your skin?

Strep throat?

Ulcers?

Which medication are you going to take for a fungal infection? Tinea? Yeast?

I know why you don't want to see the doctor, they'll want to keep you in a nice "I love me" shirt.

There are reasons that you're not supposed to self medicate yourself with antibiotics. Largest of which is that you have no clue what you're taking! You don't even know what dose you're supposed to take of what medicine! Not to mention that by you keeping a little left over, you made the bacteria you were trying to kill resistant or immune to the antibiotics you took. People like you created MRSA.
Liberals claim to want to give a hearing to other views, but then are shocked and offended to discover that there are other views. - William F. Buckley
Back to Top
hachiban08 View Drop Down
Senior Admin Group
Senior Admin Group
Avatar

Joined: December 06 2007
Location: California, USA
Status: Offline
Points: 12767
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hachiban08 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 24 2013 at 11:00pm
Originally posted by Littleraven Littleraven wrote:

Thanks hachiban! Yes very serious stuff. My mother had caught it and almost didn't make it.  She became sick after a severe ear infection of all things and wouldn't at first see a doctor. Her temperature shot up very high and we rushed her to the hospital. So you can also easily catch it when you get run down from other illnesses.  The doctors said that she may have even gotten it from the ear infection itself as the ear and sinuses can transfer an infection to the nearby membranes and blood. Take care of illnesses right away. Stay well!


You're very much welcome Littleraven, and long time no see. Hope all is well with you. :) I am glad that your mother has recovered. A friend of mine recently had a meningitis scare after suffering from the flu, earlier this month. He's since recovered as well. Well wishes to you and yours.
Be prepared! It may be time....^_^v
Back to Top
hachiban08 View Drop Down
Senior Admin Group
Senior Admin Group
Avatar

Joined: December 06 2007
Location: California, USA
Status: Offline
Points: 12767
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hachiban08 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 24 2013 at 11:04pm
Originally posted by Turboguy Turboguy wrote:


 Not to mention that by you keeping a little left over, you made the bacteria you were trying to kill resistant or immune to the antibiotics you took. People like you created MRSA.


This. Too many people do that because they assume that because they feel better, that they don't need to take the antibiotics anymore. Happens all too often these days. :/ Hope you've been well Turbo. Side note: I am looking into doing Firearms safety classes (that's what they're called right?) soon since I am about to graduate. :)
Be prepared! It may be time....^_^v
Back to Top
Crying Out Loud View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member


Joined: September 27 2013
Status: Offline
Points: 1395
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Crying Out Loud Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 25 2013 at 6:56am
Originally posted by Turboguy Turboguy wrote:

Originally posted by Crying Out Loud Crying Out Loud wrote:


Individuals and their families become sick with ear infections, sinus infections, stomach flu etc. Most people can be, or are already educated (some even better than their quackish doctors) on what medications, including antibiotics and pain medication, that they may need.

The problem is that the medical doctors, don't want to give up the cut they get, for being the all wise, priestly middle man, between you and your antibiotics, etc. People who can, and are willing to be the manager of their own health care, are forced into health care programs, that they are plenty capable of doing on their own, without contacting a doctor.

I know when I am sick with ear and sinus infections, the last thing I want to do is get in my car and attempt to drive when I am not well, and should not be out and about. Having the right medications on hand, in my own home before hand, enables me from contaminating others, and from picking up another form of contamination, which can easily happen, by my forced visit to some medical merchant.

After an attempt to get well without the antibiotics, I am quite confident that I can make a rational decision as to what antibiotic and pain medication would be best to add, to aid my immune system in fighting off the infection. I see no reason to believe that other individuals are not just as capable as I am.

Doctors, nurses and many other individuals, have become time and money wasting curses to the masses of individuals, who desire to be enabled to care for their own health, and the health of their loved ones. These undesired medical middlemen, need to have their life support cut off. They no longer serve a beneficial or practical purpose, and are one of the biggest causes of illness, because they need individuals to infect each other, in order to capitalize off of this backward ideal.


So, which antibiotic are you going to take for a staph infection of your skin?

Strep throat?

Ulcers?

Which medication are you going to take for a fungal infection? Tinea? Yeast?

I know why you don't want to see the doctor, they'll want to keep you in a nice "I love me" shirt.

There are reasons that you're not supposed to self medicate yourself with antibiotics. Largest of which is that you have no clue what you're taking! You don't even know what dose you're supposed to take of what medicine! Not to mention that by you keeping a little left over, you made the bacteria you were trying to kill resistant or immune to the antibiotics you took. People like you created MRSA.


Yes, I am aware that there are many reasons that an individual of normal intellect is not supposed to be their own Man, and apply their own research, unto their own health care. Number one, is that the entire health care system and the worthless merchants who wrongly gain from it, would sink into the maritime merchant sea, and their wrongly funded ships would sink.

"Look! The health care doctors, nurses, social workers, med management and their buddies, are all cut off. The tide of angry individuals, (who are now aware that they have been held captive by these losers) have cut them all off. I think they are going to drown. Big smile It has  been so long since I have seen a good drowning!" Clap

Also, why over medicate on any medication, when one pill or two will give the natural immune system the boost it needs, to kick into gear? You see, the idea of taking a full course of antibiotics (according to the merchants who want you too buy more of their medications) is not in your best interest. This is why individuals are having problems with antibiotics. Not because individuals have done anything wrong, but instead because merchants who "practice" health studies on them, have been in control.

As far as the average individual having the know how to use these products wisely. I have no reason  to believe that any individual who has been deemed sound of mind enough to sign up for the draft, and go into battle, can get on their smart phone or computer, unless they want to use a book, to look up the products/medications that he or she needs to take for their own positive health care. After all, isn't that what the worthless Doctors and Nurses do, when you pay them undeserved money for their empty services? In fact, many times the consumer/patient advises the Doctor Priest, on what would be the best medication to use. These valueless merchants must be thrown over board, if people want to avoid more pandemics, sickness and financial ruin.

Back to Top
jacksdad View Drop Down
Chief Moderator
Chief Moderator
Avatar

Joined: September 08 2007
Location: San Diego
Status: Offline
Points: 35481
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jacksdad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 25 2013 at 10:42am
Originally posted by hachiban08 hachiban08 wrote:

Originally posted by Turboguy Turboguy wrote:


 Not to mention that by you keeping a little left over, you made the bacteria you were trying to kill resistant or immune to the antibiotics you took. People like you created MRSA.


This. Too many people do that because they assume that because they feel better, that they don't need to take the antibiotics anymore. Happens all too often these days. :/ Hope you've been well Turbo. Side note: I am looking into doing Firearms safety classes (that's what they're called right?) soon since I am about to graduate. :)


Yep - I've had quite a few of my patients tell me how they were not feeling well so they took one of the pills the doctor prescribed a while ago. When asked what the medication was, all too often it was part of a course of antibiotics that they stopped taking as soon they felt better, but they keep the rest in the bathroom cabinet and pop one or two when they feel under the weather. Hmmm, wonder why we have so many resistant strains these days? Disapprove
"Buy it cheap. Stack it deep"
"Any community that fails to prepare, with the expectation that the federal government will come to the rescue, will be tragically wrong." Michael Leavitt, HHS Secretary.
Back to Top
Crying Out Loud View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member


Joined: September 27 2013
Status: Offline
Points: 1395
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Crying Out Loud Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 25 2013 at 10:52am
Originally posted by jacksdad jacksdad wrote:

Originally posted by hachiban08 hachiban08 wrote:

[QUOTE=Turboguy]
 Not to mention that by you keeping a little left over, you made the bacteria you were trying to kill resistant or immune to the antibiotics you took. People like you created MRSA.


This. Too many people do that because they assume that because they feel better, that they don't need to take the antibiotics anymore. Happens all too often these days. :/ Hope you've been well Turbo. Side note: I am looking into doing Firearms safety classes (that's what they're called right?) soon since I am about to graduate. :)


Yep - I've had quite a few of my patients tell me how they were not feeling well so they took one of the pills the doctor prescribed a while ago. When asked what the medication was, all too often it was part of a course of antibiotics that they stopped taking as soon they felt better, but they keep the rest in the bathroom cabinet and pop one or two when they feel under the weather. Hmmm, wonder why we have so many resistant strains these days? Disapprove
[/QUOTE

Crying Out Loud responds to this fear mongering with this:

Stop trying to scare intelligent individuals with your Maritime Scare Tactics and Bully Infested Lies! Now, go take a full course of antibiotics and get a nasty case of candida.

The Court has decided that you are not sane enough to be in charge of your own medical care. No! You can not have a perscription for nizoral to fight off that extreme imbalance of good bacteria in your dying carcass. The medical priests do not have enough faith that this will bring you back to a sane condition. I guess you will have to be euthanized.Shocked
Back to Top
jacksdad View Drop Down
Chief Moderator
Chief Moderator
Avatar

Joined: September 08 2007
Location: San Diego
Status: Offline
Points: 35481
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jacksdad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 25 2013 at 4:03pm
Well then, jacksdad responds with this:

I'll take a minor fungal infection over a potentially serious bacterial one every time, especially as I've never experienced candida overgrowth following treatment with antibiotics. So.....

Originally posted by Crying Out Loud Crying Out Loud wrote:

I guess you will have to be euthanized. Shocked

Take your best shot Wink



"Buy it cheap. Stack it deep"
"Any community that fails to prepare, with the expectation that the federal government will come to the rescue, will be tragically wrong." Michael Leavitt, HHS Secretary.
Back to Top
KiwiMum View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group
Avatar

Joined: May 29 2013
Status: Offline
Points: 8630
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote KiwiMum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 25 2013 at 5:54pm
Crying out loud, your comments on this site are generally ridiculous. You appear to be living in some sort of la la land. Your comments are often offensive, almost always paranoid and the message that I read from them is that you don't have a full grasp on reality. 

Can't you find a different site to rant on? I'm genuinely bored of reading your nonsense and I normally avoid your contributions because I have more important things to do with my time. I would like the site to ban you because I think you are belittling other peoples concerns and you are certainly ruining any discussion that you join.

I wish you no ill feeling, I just think you are just stark raving mad and don't belong here.
If it is to be, it is up to me.
Back to Top
Crying Out Loud View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member


Joined: September 27 2013
Status: Offline
Points: 1395
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Crying Out Loud Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 25 2013 at 7:26pm
Originally posted by KiwiMum KiwiMum wrote:

Crying out loud, your comments on this site are generally ridiculous. You appear to be living in some sort of la la land. Your comments are often offensive, almost always paranoid and the message that I read from them is that you don't have a full grasp on reality. 

Can't you find a different site to rant on? I'm genuinely bored of reading your nonsense and I normally avoid your contributions because I have more important things to do with my time. I would like the site to ban you because I think you are belittling other peoples concerns and you are certainly ruining any discussion that you join.

I wish you no ill feeling, I just think you are just stark raving mad and don't belong here.


Crying Out Loud responds to Kiwimum with this:

When my comments are ridiculous, or over the top as you might say, this means that I am using exageration in an attempt to make a point.

The land I presently live on, has been over run with unjustified domination, lack of respect for that which should be respected, and adoration for that which should be annihilated. I have recognized this problem from the time I was a young child, even though I did not have knowledge or experience at that time to back up what I was feeling, seeing and being terrorized by. Now, I am of mature enough mind to actually put into writing that which I find so very wrong.

As far as what I write being offensive to you. If you have no desire to make a reasonable attempt to... at least comprehend me... then it is far less work on the part of your intellect... to merely castigate me and find blame...become offended and demand that I be silenced and censored. Claiming that I am paranoid, and therefore my remarks must exhibit that of an irrational mind.

You claim that I do not have a full grip on reality. This is something that you will have to give evidence of; to the contrary of what I claim, in order for it to hold any truth. I do not pretend to have knowledge of all people, places and things. In fact, to be true to my self, I only have my very limited experiences, and what I have been told from others that I trust, that can hold any form of truth or rationality in my mind. All other sources, to me, must be questioned.

That does not mean, that I have any right to call into question your experiences, merely because they are outside the small window, which makes up what I call my own personal experiences...thus my reality. How can I say that you do not have a full grip on reality; when I have not entered your mind, body, spirit and soul. I try to comprehend and have empathy, however, I can not be equal to you in your exact feelings and outcomes to what you have gone through. Does this mean that you are paranoid? No, it merely means that I have no understanding or experience inside your "personal" and very unique world.

Because you have chosen to allow my so called rants to offend you, maybe it would be in your best interest not to come to Avian Flu Talk. There must be a forum outside of this one that would be more in line with your shallow intellect. I promise that I will not follow or stalk you...and...by leaving this site...you will not feel so upstaged by my intellectualism and wit...which is a complete contrast to your boring posts.SleepyAlthough, in truth I do find them somewhat sweet at certain times.Wink

If this forum  wants to kick my carcass out, the moderators will do what they desire to do. No harm done either way. You see, one of my strongest convictions is that everyone has the right to hate another individual. They have the right to hate them with great passion if they so desire. Not physically, but by distancing and complete abandonment, if it gives them peace of body, mind, spirit and soul.

Unless ones mind is being held captive, and mastered by the will of another, they cannot be forced to love another individual. The outward manifestations or words may be opposite to the real feelings on fire, inside that individual. That does not mean that there are any true devotions to the one who has made him or herself, the master over the life of another or other individuals. If all beings are free to hate and love who and what they will, this form of honesty would cause a huge change in the world.

Kiwimum, I will not attempt to force another individual to respect me. If you want to get angry at me, then have at it. Curse me. Yell at me. Demand my bannishment. I know if I give this unalienable right to another, I have also secured that right to me. Therefore, I do not have to love anyone I choose not to love. I can choose my family, friends and allies very carefully, or choose none at all. I can feel redeemed in my intense and powerful hate, and made whole and sound in my true and genuine love of my own self respect. I wish the same for you.
Back to Top
FluMom View Drop Down
Senior Admin Group
Senior Admin Group
Avatar

Joined: February 11 2008
Status: Offline
Points: 16966
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FluMom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 25 2013 at 10:28pm
Well, I hope the FDA approves the vaccine from Europe for Strain B. I have a kid in college and I would give it to him no matter the cost!

Always Be Prepared
Back to Top
jacksdad View Drop Down
Chief Moderator
Chief Moderator
Avatar

Joined: September 08 2007
Location: San Diego
Status: Offline
Points: 35481
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jacksdad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 25 2013 at 10:32pm
Originally posted by Crying Out Loud Crying Out Loud wrote:

...Because you have chosen to allow my so called rants to offend you, maybe it would be in your best interest not to come to Avian Flu Talk. There must be a forum outside of this one that would be more in line with your shallow intellect. I promise that I will not follow or stalk you...and...by leaving this site...you will not feel so upstaged by my intellectualism and wit...which is a complete contrast to your boring posts....



In my opinion, KiwiMum is one of our most valued members, and is without a doubt one of the most experienced people we've ever had on AFT with regards to living a self sufficient lifestyle. Her experience and knowledge have provided a better insight into successfully surviving off the grid than anything I've seen in the six years since I became a member, not only because of the wealth of experience she's gained from actually living the life, but she's also extremely intelligent and very well read.
Crying Out Loud - as eloquent as your posts are (and whatever else they may be, they are definitely well written), I've yet to see anything that comes close to being as useful, relevant or informative as KiwiMum's many contributions. You can take that as an insult, challenge - whatever you wish.
Feel free to come back at me with something witty, pithy and ultimately self serving because at this point I really wouldn't expect anything else. Your turn.


"Buy it cheap. Stack it deep"
"Any community that fails to prepare, with the expectation that the federal government will come to the rescue, will be tragically wrong." Michael Leavitt, HHS Secretary.
Back to Top
KiwiMum View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group
Avatar

Joined: May 29 2013
Status: Offline
Points: 8630
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote KiwiMum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 26 2013 at 12:08am
Jacksdad, thanks for your support I really appreciate it. 

Crying out loud, I haven't read you reply and I don't intend to. After I had posted that comment I was thinking about you as I churned some butter this evening and found the perfect example to liken to your behaviour/comments: it's like when you are invited out to a friends house, and you're all sitting around with good food and nice wine and good company, but they have a precocious, obnoxious child who dominates the conversation and won't let up. All the adults are smiling through gritted teeth saying "isn't she sweet?" when all of them are actually thinking "please shut up and go away and let the adults have some real conversation".

You are dominating conversations here and steering them off topic with irrelevant and unnecessary comments. 
If it is to be, it is up to me.
Back to Top
hachiban08 View Drop Down
Senior Admin Group
Senior Admin Group
Avatar

Joined: December 06 2007
Location: California, USA
Status: Offline
Points: 12767
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hachiban08 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 26 2013 at 11:05am
Originally posted by FluMom FluMom wrote:

Well, I hope the FDA approves the vaccine from Europe for Strain B. I have a kid in college and I would give it to him no matter the cost!



Yea, two of the three UC Santa Barbara cases, according to their student health centre, wouldn't have been prevented with our current vaccine here. Not quite sure why my UC is saying to get the current vaccine for it, if it didn't even help (Maybe for type A cases). Perhaps the European one would help though.

I remember Jacksdad and Elver saying something about Type A flu is worse than Type B ( I hope I didn't mix that up). Is that always going to by the case with other ailments?
Be prepared! It may be time....^_^v
Back to Top
arirish View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Avatar

Joined: June 19 2013
Location: Arkansas
Status: Offline
Points: 32045
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arirish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 26 2013 at 11:26am
Originally posted by KiwiMum KiwiMum wrote:

Jacksdad, thanks for your support I really appreciate it. 

Crying out loud, I haven't read you reply and I don't intend to. After I had posted that comment I was thinking about you as I churned some butter this evening and found the perfect example to liken to your behaviour/comments: it's like when you are invited out to a friends house, and you're all sitting around with good food and nice wine and good company, but they have a precocious, obnoxious child who dominates the conversation and won't let up. All the adults are smiling through gritted teeth saying "isn't she sweet?" when all of them are actually thinking "please shut up and go away and let the adults have some real conversation".

You are dominating conversations here and steering them off topic with irrelevant and unnecessary comments. 


I'd like to second the motion!
Buy more ammo!
Back to Top
Kyle View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group


Joined: May 29 2013
Location: Colorado
Status: Offline
Points: 5750
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kyle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 26 2013 at 2:17pm
Originally posted by arirish arirish wrote:

Originally posted by KiwiMum KiwiMum wrote:

Jacksdad, thanks for your support I really appreciate it. 

Crying out loud, I haven't read you reply and I don't intend to. After I had posted that comment I was thinking about you as I churned some butter this evening and found the perfect example to liken to your behaviour/comments: it's like when you are invited out to a friends house, and you're all sitting around with good food and nice wine and good company, but they have a precocious, obnoxious child who dominates the conversation and won't let up. All the adults are smiling through gritted teeth saying "isn't she sweet?" when all of them are actually thinking "please shut up and go away and let the adults have some real conversation".

You are dominating conversations here and steering them off topic with irrelevant and unnecessary comments. 



I'd like to second the motion!





Thank you for making my day, so true. It's beyond me that this site allows for such stupidity. COL should have been banned from the start.      
Back to Top
KiwiMum View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group
Avatar

Joined: May 29 2013
Status: Offline
Points: 8630
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote KiwiMum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 26 2013 at 6:49pm
Hachiban, back to meningitis, I believe one of the first signs of meningitis is a red rash, and can be identified quickly because, unlike any other rash, this one does not disappear when you press it. 

So if you see even one red spot appear, you press it with the side of a drinking glass. If it is any other illness, the spot will disappear, if it's meningitis, it will stay red and highly visible. Should you find any of these spots, you need to get to a doctor asap. Even an hours delay can mean the difference between surviving and not, and with meningitis, many people lose limbs.  I hope you never need to do the glass test but it was shown to me by a doctor when my children were babies. 
If it is to be, it is up to me.
Back to Top
arirish View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Avatar

Joined: June 19 2013
Location: Arkansas
Status: Offline
Points: 32045
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arirish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 26 2013 at 9:10pm
KiwiMum- Thank you for this information! My youngest son is in college and this disease is designed to attack youth who think they are invincible! It spreads through casual contact and kills within days of symptoms.   
Kyle- COL reminds me of Aurora who I simply ignored! If everyone would i think they would go away. They are a little narcissistic and try to push peoples buttons to draw attention to themselves.


Hachiban- Be careful out there!

Worldviews Evid Based Nurs. 2006;3(4):185-93.
Meningococcal meningitis prevention programs for college students: a review of the literature.
Butler KM.
Source

College of Nursing, University of Kentucky, Lexington, KY 40536, USA. kmbut100@uky.edu
Abstract
BACKGROUND AND PURPOSE:

The incidence of meningococcal meningitis in college students is higher than in other populations. College students, especially 1st-year students living in dormitories or residence halls, are among those at highest risk of developing the disease. It is estimated that immunization can prevent up to 83% of cases among adolescents and college students. A review of the literature was undertaken to identify and critique the research-based prevention programs that are focused on college students.
METHOD:

An extensive search of the Cochrane Database of systematic reviews, Medline, PubMed, and CINAHL was undertaken. The Journal of American College Health was hand searched, and bibliographies were reviewed for studies not otherwise identified. Four publications met the search criteria. These studies were reviewed and graded for level of evidence.
FINDINGS:

One study could not be compared with the other three because of its lack of detail. Of the other three studies, two were descriptive and factors were identified that related to vaccination and nonvaccination in the college student population (both Evidence Grade C). Only one study was described that included an educational intervention, which resulted in increased vaccination rates in a college student population (Evidence Grade B).
CONCLUSIONS AND IMPLICATIONS:

The published literature is severely limited in the area of meningococcal meningitis prevention programs in the at-risk college student population. A critical need exists for controlled studies to test the interventions that are most effective in this population as well as broader-based studies to further identify those students at increased risk for the disease as well as for nonvaccination.   
Buy more ammo!
Back to Top
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic   

Forum Jump Forum Permissions View Drop Down