Click to Translate to English Click to Translate to French  Click to Translate to Spanish  Click to Translate to German  Click to Translate to Italian  Click to Translate to Japanese  Click to Translate to Chinese Simplified  Click to Translate to Korean  Click to Translate to Arabic  Click to Translate to Russian  Click to Translate to Portuguese

Forum Home Forum Home > Home & Family Planning > General Planning Tips
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Online Discussion: Tracking new emerging diseases and the next pandemic.

FOOD

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 12>
Author
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: FOOD
    Posted: January 29 2006 at 4:29pm

Important information regarding food.

Ideas about what to purchase for pandemic supplies.

How to Store.

Tips on sources.

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 29 2006 at 5:57pm

Originally posted by marjo:

My favorite tool (need MS Excel) is a Food Storage Planner that can be downloaded for free (in US and Metric versions) - it is more than just food and is completely customizable (not "protected") for your family size, # of months for storage, etc. The calculations are done automatically making it easy to inventory, shop and track needs.

This link is for the downloadable program mentioned above: http://standeyo.com/News_Files/FTP_Files/DFPlanImp.zip (US Version)
http://standeyo.com/News_Files/FTP_Files/DFPlanMet.zip (Metric Version)

I have been using it myself for a long time now and I think it is great!

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 29 2006 at 6:04pm

Originally posted by wannago:

Hi, I am an ex-cruiser (sailboat) and when we bought the huge bags of rice, cornmeal and flour, we "decanted" these into smaller ziplock bags (double layer) and lost only a very few to weavils and other bugs.  It was recommended we zap the bags in the microwave for a second or two which also kills anything still living in the drygoods, but we didn't have one.

We carried enough drygoods to last 2 of us 2 years.  This was on a 38ft boat with limited storage space.  Canned butter (yummy), canned bacon and New Zealand powdered milk were really appreciated.  Dried eggs were great for baking and crisco shortening didn't melt in tropical heat (no refrigerator) so canned chicken pies with reconstituted dried sh*take mushrooms were also on the menu.   Cheese kept under oil or wrapped in an oily cloth, keeps for months without refrigeration. We ate like kings and thoroughly enjoyed being self-sufficient.

Water was caught with a raincatcher, propane gas fuelled our stove .  We used a pressure cooker to conserve fuel usage (this is great for risotto in 5 mins).  Canned goods were dipped in a mix of varnish and thinners to stop the cans going rusty (remove label first) and relabel with something that doesn't rub off!  Creamed corn doesn't quite cut it for dessert  lol.

willow41 View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote willow41 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 02 2006 at 1:39pm

I've been buying lots of canned beef stew, chicken-n-dumplings, ravioli, beefaroni, and ready-to-serve soups. The soups are wonderful and you can get everything from steak and potatoes to turkey pot pie flavors. These things only need to be heated up, and can actually be eaten right out of the can. And they will not tap into your water supply. Of course, we will have rice/vegies/fruit etc. But these canned items will be the main lunch/dinner staples. They are all reasonably priced at Walmart/Meijers, and even cheaper at Aldi's/Save-A-Lot. At least check them out.

Ella Fitzgerald View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ella Fitzgerald Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 02 2006 at 1:53pm

Don't forget some comfort foods like chocolate. Stay away from caffeine because it is a natural diuretic and could make you dehydrated if water is limited to begin with. Also limit salt on food because that just makes you thirsty.

willow41 View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote willow41 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 02 2006 at 4:07pm
where can i find canned butter and cheese, or individual butter packets that can be stored without refrigeration?
mini-mouse View Drop Down
Senior Adviser Group
Senior Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mini-mouse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 02 2006 at 8:02pm
ShophiaZoe, I'm not sure if I'm in the right place for this question but here it is.  At one place you said you have a list prepared for very last minute purchases because you didn't trust your memory - I also have a list  for a last minute shopping scramble for the same reason. When you catch up from this crazy day will you share what is on your list with us? Thanks.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 02 2006 at 8:51pm
sure...maybe that even warrants its own thread.

Edited by SophiaZoe
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ella Fitzgerald Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 03 2006 at 9:52am

I love the Dollar Tree store. I just went this morning and found 5# bags of white enriched rice for $1. They had a bunch of stuff I needed and spent $100 (100 items for $1 each). They had bags of beans, canned goods, cleaning supplies, paper products, batteries etc.

I thought Wal-mart or Sam's clubs were cheap...ha! I plan to go back with my husbands money this weekend.

willow41 View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote willow41 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 03 2006 at 12:54pm

Thank-you, Libby! I reviewed that website last night, but was hesitent to order, never ordered food online before. I will now.

willow41 View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote willow41 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 03 2006 at 1:00pm

do you have to refrigerate the butter once the can is opened?

libbyalex View Drop Down
Advisor Group
Advisor Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote libbyalex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 03 2006 at 2:45pm
Well, it says to refrigerate the butter. However, with regular store butter, I have sometimes just had it out on the counter or on the table in a butter dish. They say the cheese also does better if it's cold, but I think if power was off, it would be fine (if softer) with not refrigerating it. THough the web site also said that they liked the cheese so much that once they opened the can, everyone ate it all! Hope you like it! -- Libby
willow41 View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote willow41 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 03 2006 at 4:04pm

Thanks-Libby

I ordered a can of the butter, cheese, and hamburger to sample. If we like them we'll order a case of each. This website offers several types of canned meat. Cooked hamburger and pork, which I've never thought of. You can use the hamburger, canned butter, powdered milk, and a little  water to make Hamburger Helper meals.

htpp View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote htpp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 04 2006 at 11:20am
What is everyone using/storing to replace eggs?  A lot of recipes call for eggs and that isn't something that can be stored in large quantities and used before the expiration date? 
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ella Fitzgerald Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 04 2006 at 1:00pm

Gosh, my preps take up the whole corner of my bedroom. The sad thing is that I am not done shopping yet.

I've utilized our suitcases to store things in. They are really coming in handy.

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 05 2006 at 9:32pm

One of my major food preps was a large variety of sprouting seeds.  We love sprouts and the will be easy fresh greens until we can bring in a garden.  A large supply doesn't take up an inordinate amount of space and nutrition vs cost vs taste can't be beat.

Sprouts go well with many things, including beans and rice.  Scrambled (dehydrated) eggs and tuna or salmon wraps. 

Hnery Miller View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hnery Miller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 06 2006 at 4:19pm

Hi--I am ready to order food in bulk and wonder if I can get some feedback on what is best between dehydrated--freeze dried--and canned. Suggestions on where to order appreciated also.

Thanks!

Ira
meewee View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote meewee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 06 2006 at 4:45pm

one of the best places to go to get those questions answered is a www.survivalacres.com the guy who runs that business is very helpful and can direct you to make the best possible choices. I don't work for him but have ordered from him and was very pleased with his insight and knowledge!

Meewee

God Bless us all!
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 06 2006 at 8:47pm
zoe...please explain this group buy thingy.
zoe17 View Drop Down
Senior Adviser Group
Senior Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zoe17 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 07 2006 at 8:16am

I am a team member over at AR15,com, the survival forum puts together group buys about every two-three months. I have been in on the last three, very well done.

The prices cannot be beat anywhere 40-60% off retail. Free shipping on orders over $500.00. The people who put the buy together do it for the people in the survival forum, it is not about money to them. The #10 cans have a very long shelf life. I use alot of the 1/2/4 serving pouches. The food is tasty, but of course, high in sodium.

here is the Mountain House website linky http://www.mountainhouse.com/

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 12>
  Share Topic