Click to Translate to English Click to Translate to French  Click to Translate to Spanish  Click to Translate to German  Click to Translate to Italian  Click to Translate to Japanese  Click to Translate to Chinese Simplified  Click to Translate to Korean  Click to Translate to Arabic  Click to Translate to Russian  Click to Translate to Portuguese  Click to Translate to Myanmar (Burmese)

PANDEMIC ALERT LEVEL
Forum Home Forum Home > Main Forums > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Tracking the next pandemic: Avian Flu Talk

A solution to get neighbors onboard

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: A solution to get neighbors onboard
    Posted: August 22 2006 at 6:21am
On another thread there is a discussion going now about whether it is wise to help neighbors by throwing food out the window during a SIP situation.  I have some ideas related to this that deserve their own thread.

I think continually providing food to neighbors is a bad idea.  As cruiser said, it would be like trying to get rid of pigeons or squirrels in your yard that you have fed.  I love my family more than I love a generic  neighbor.  I would not do anything to risk my family's welfare.  This would risk their welfare.

I suggest that instead of waiting for a pandemic and then allowing your caring and concern  to get the best of you - and to threaten your own family's security -  You consider instead channelling those atruistic tendencies into something we can do NOW to prepare our neighbors and make their situation, as well as that of our own family, more secure.

I want opinions on something I plan to do soon.  I have considered making up a flyer xeroxed and deposited at night in the driveway of as many neighbors as I can handle. Lawn care companies around here always put ads in little sandwich bags with a small pebble to weight it down - I may do that.  It will be an general intro to the pandemic risk with quotes about prepping from people like Leavitt.  I will introduce them to the concept of prepping as similar to what they are already doing for hurricanes, only on a larger scale.  There will be links to several websites (the best, most influential sources only) and appeal to them to at least research it further and then make their own decision.  This would be anonymous, and I would explain in the flyer why it is anonymous - to protect my own family's planning.  Even if this changes one mind, it is worth it.

In my mind, my obligation to my neighbor will be fulfilled.  At some point, once people are given the relevant data to make an informed decision, they become responsible for the own welfare.  I feel this will unburden my conscience - and is much more useful than throwing bags of beans out the window.  What happens when the beans are gone?  It's kinda like the old truism, 'give a man a fishing pole...'

I want some feedback on this because I will be doing it soon.  What is being suggested here is a proactive approach to the morality of caring for others instead of a reactive approach.  Thank you for reading my ideas.

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 22 2006 at 6:38am
GulfCoastMama - Go for it!  I watched a program once on Surviving any Disaster.  Don't quote me on this because I'm just recalling pieces of this program from memory.  The one common thread was repetition.  Most people need constant repetition to finally get the message.  In airline training, flight attendants are taught to repeat the same thing over and over.  Something like 'Get off the plane, leave all carry on behind'  They are told to say nothing else just repeat and repeat to get it to sink in. It showed survivors are the first to act.   I think anything that will bring this to the attention of everyone will help.  If you reach only 2 or 3 of your neighbors, it is a start.  Please include links they can research themselves. 

GG

Sorry - you already said you would be including links.   
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 22 2006 at 6:48am
You are right about repetition.  Marketers know about this.  How many of you have heard that stupid commercial where they say 10 times "Head on - rub it on the forehead"?  I hate that commercial, but look, it's being referenced here!

I think in this case it really is more about total ignorance of the issue than about repetition.  I truly think many people have never read naything about bf.  They have heard of it but see it as something like malaria, that affects other countries, and surely the U.S. will vaccinate us.  Most people I mention it to truly believe that there is already an existing vaccine that will prevent a pandemic. They get the bird vaccine confused with one for humans once it is mutated.  But you are right, repetition is key.
Bill 100 View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill 100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 22 2006 at 6:51am
I have gave up on my neighbors, they just don't want to hear it. I have been talking to them, showing them stuff off the internet, for over a year. They say, Something is going to get us and dismiss it.
I believe about half of my neighbors will leave for one reason or another.
The young will move back in with their parents.
There are two couples that bought a place together by a lake, they won't stick around.
I would not be surprised if there are more people prepping and keeping it to themselves. Worried people might think they are strange, or worried that others might want their prepps.
A storm is coming !
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 22 2006 at 6:59am
I think thats a great Idea...

I'm a little behind the anonymous part of it because I have sent my neighbors articles by email about preparing...They never even responded to one email I sent them..

This was before I realized that it just might not be a great Idea to let my neighbors know I was preparing...

Once in a blue moon here a neighbor will barrow flour, sugar...I have to say if they called to ask if I had toilet paper or food I would want to help....I've lived next to them have barbeque's with them for 12 years......

Four of them have fireplaces...only one has wood...So my husband has brought extra wood home to help them for a couple of days...Then they would have to get off the butts and go out and get wood...

I think if I did your plan I wouldn't feel so obligated to help them for there stupidity....It would make me feel better that I gave them all a head up....If they ignored it...I bet they would be hard pressed to come to me if shtf.

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 22 2006 at 8:28am
I can't find the thread but someone posted info about a news report we can buy copies of. It was an hour and a half show I believe on Fox News. It is said to be an eye-opener. I missed it but have the number I copied from the posted info. I am going to buy a copy and pass it around. From my notes it said Bird Flu Factor-Fact or Fiction. 5/6/06 number to order a copy was 1-800-949-6397. I think pictures speak a thousand words.
Seems I have to keep those few people who start motivated to keep it up. This may help. I just think they will watch this before they will read something.
Good luck to all.
Pookey View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pookey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 22 2006 at 9:03am
That's a good idea.

The ole neighbor dilemma?

I have mentioned prepping to my neighbors, and they don't want to hear about it. They know that I am prepared at least for hurricane season. But they don't know, that I could go a year with what I have on hand, and I don't want them to know it. They know I have some guns, but they don't know that my armoire is in very good shape.

I know there are many sides and risks to this question.  Any way I look at it, it's a no win situation.  I am single, so don't have a family to consider, and my neighbors have been more that generous with home cooked meals over the years.  So after much soul searching and some prayer, I've decided to stock some supplies for anyone on my cul'de'sac that needs them.  Yesterday, I picked up 60# of rice and 60# of beans to give away and hope to extend this to 100# of each.  I will need my neighbor's support when the egg hits the fan, and I sure don't look forward to having to shot them.  I can't feed the whole subdivision, but I may be able to make a difference among my immediate neighbors.

I have been lurking on this site for several months and with all the good information and dedicated people here, I should have a few days lead time before the general population panics.  This is the window, when I will really push my neighbors to prepare.  When things are imminent, and I can do some real convincing.
nwprepper View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nwprepper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 22 2006 at 9:33am
GulfCoastMama this is a brilliant solution. Would you consider posting what you come up with? I will do this too.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 22 2006 at 9:36am
GCM, I think your plan is sound.  If you live urban or suburban you have to try to count on your neighbors.  2 things to prepare for.  1 is people seeing you put out your fliers out and asking you questions. (have answers)
2 Accept the fact that there are people that just don't care to prepare. 

Suggestion.  Don't make your flier just on the pandemic.  Make it generic on all infrastructure disruptions, including the pandemic.  The hurricanes should still be fresh in everyones mind down there.  So preparing for another storm won't be considered "weird".     
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 22 2006 at 10:32am
GulfCoastMama:  I wish you'd cut and paste your flier in here.  I'm considering following your lead, doing it anonymously but I'm at a loss on how to word it that they don't get freaked out or totally dismiss it as being from someone that's freaked out.  So if you have wording, I'd love to see it.
Albert View Drop Down
Admin
Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Albert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 22 2006 at 10:36am
Communicating would be the key in having neighbors work together.  I would suggest the neighborhood team leaders form individual internet newsgroups for your respective neighborhood and have it printed on your flyers.  In a crisis, the entire neighborhood could then coordinate online.  You could conduct prescheduled online simulations, etc....   Neighborhoods working online to distribute supplies to each other would also contribute to a family's personal comfort and security.  

Our forum at PandemicHelp.org would launch county forums and possibly city wide forums, but the individual neighborhoods is obviously too much to cover. 

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 22 2006 at 10:39am
maysday, and wolfgang, thanks for the suggestions.

nw prepper, maybe we all could work on this together and come up with a standardized 'neighborhood distribution form' that we could all use.

wolfgang, you are right, the issue of someone seeing us was of concern.  It sounds so shady, but I thought maybe my husband could go at night with a large hat on on bicycle to distribute.  And then there's the question - how many people to hit?  Do we just hit the 30 or so homes in the immediate vicinity, or do I do a bigger campaign and get the several thousand in this area?  Is it worth my time to spend $ on this and reach more people?  I guess if the thing is bad, the more I reach, the more protection for my family.

I wonder if there is someone here expert at marketing for these kinds of things, or someone with experience with press releases, etc. who could help?  The thing is, I want to perk up people's ears without it sounding like some kind of lunatic fringe thing.  I think instead of it being too generic, I should insert info specifically related to our community so it does not look like some kooky thing I just printed off the internet (but then if we devise it together it will be some thing I printed off the internet!LOL).

As an aside, is there anyone here who has personally contacted their local smalltown newspaper to see if they would consider allowing an insert if it is no cost to them (i.e. you print it off and insert into each news copy).  I'm sure few papers would agree to this, just wondering if anybody has tried this.

Please, any more suggestions!
Albert View Drop Down
Admin
Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Albert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 22 2006 at 10:41am

Also,  this project would be for your neighborhoods so if you have a blog or newsgroup, there is no need to post it here on AFT for the time being.   That was just merely a suggestion to help you all coordinate.  

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 22 2006 at 10:42am
I'm considering photocopying the Newsweek article from October 31, 2005 or the National Geographic article from October 2005, any shorter but just as good that would be as impact worthy for skeptical neighbors? Or more current as those don't reflect the current European infection rate and death rate?  And from magazines or newsmedia easily recognized?  (I don't want much, do I? Ha.)
And the video mentioned below is one hour in length, it's the best investment I could make in getting my parents brought up to speed on this - I just don't know that sticking a video in everyone's box would work as well as printed media.  It's FoxNews special called Bird Flu Fact or Fiction, call 1-800-949-6397 to order. 
Albert View Drop Down
Admin
Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Albert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 22 2006 at 11:05am

You could also place PandemicHelp.org on your letterhead to the neighbors.  You could use the state forums to coordinate the online neighborhood meetings, since nobody else is using them.   Smile

It always comes down to community planning and communicating on the local level.  Launching individual neighborhood blogs would also be simple, which AFT could work with the members on. 

MissNutty View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MissNutty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 22 2006 at 12:01pm
In talking to friends and neighbors, the common response I get is, I don't have any place to store that much food and water.  My reply to them is, will your answer be the same when your child tells you they are hungry or thirsty and you can do nothing about it?  It is all a matter of priority. 
Work hard, laugh much, live long.
BobFMB View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BobFMB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 22 2006 at 1:41pm
GC Mamma, You are absolutely right about neighbors coming back for more and more and more.  I wont answer the door during a pandemic to anyone.  I intend on leaving a cheap walkie talky outside our front door and I'll politely but firmly explain that I am isolating myself and my family for the length of the pandemic.  Dont open the door! If you do give them something, they will be back next week with their friends in tow.  I'm a dentist and I used to occasionally do free treatment for persons in need.  This eventually became a problem when people I had never seen began  showing up at my office without appointments asking if they were in the right place for the "free clinic".  Now I donate time to our Good Sam clinic where the treatment is free.   People dont value things they get for free. If anyone wants to give out supplies to neighbors etc. please trade for something You Need.  Charity starts at Home.  Protect your family first.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 22 2006 at 2:41pm
MissNutty wrote: It is all a matter of priority.  Amen

BobFMB wrote:  People dont value things they get for free. And Amen Again.
roxy View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roxy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 22 2006 at 7:28pm
 hi to all, we tried a neighbor hood watch group in my area, the problem was that nobody wanted to be a leader ,but they all had ideas for everyone else to do, but not them, and if you didn't do it their way , they didn't want to have any thing to do with it. they also had agendas,and thats all they were interested in. they were not interested in helping out, just telling the rest of us how to help them. thanks but no thanks. there are three houses in a row we help each other now, and will help each other again, roxy
roxy View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roxy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 22 2006 at 7:57pm
 hi to all again, I re read my post, and I really don't want to sound negative. so try it with your neighbors,.at least you gave it a try.maybe you will open someones eyes up to the fact of planning. best of luck to all, roxy
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 22 2006 at 8:36pm
Don't lose the thread here as I want the wording you all come up with, the more and more I think about it, the more I'm going to do it.  They need to know and I'll feel so much more decent about myself if I've made the efforts to communicate this worldwide risk to them.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 22 2006 at 9:42pm
GCM 
Here are a couple suggestions:

First check with you state government.  They may have something you can get for free to pass out.  Missouri does. 

Another thing to remember is take small steps.  Start with the neighbors close to you.  Then go out a little at a time.  Again don't hit on the upcoming pandemic to hard.  Start talking about preparing for emergencies in general.  Seriously, preparing is preparing.   

Contact your Pastor, and or Sunday school teacher,   See if they are  interested in getting involved in this.  If they are it would be a good place to give out care packages, and use it as a witnessing tool. 

I also agree with BobFMB.  You are asking for trouble if you start handing out stuff from your home.  If you can do this at the church or a parking lot somewhere it will protect you and those helping you.   However if this is a worst case scenario, you will need to think about security on site, and to watch your back to and from the site.

Just before I left Louisiana I wrote a Emergency prepareness plan, and gave it to all my kids and family.  It general in nature.  ( to cover all areas)  It has suggestions, but is mostly designed to make people think.  I happen to show this to my Pastor (here) and he copied  it and made it available to any church members that wanted it.  ( I was going to email it to you but your email is private.)

Remember you can't save those that don't want to be saved.  Some people are grasshoppers, and some are ants. 

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 23 2006 at 5:21am
Gulfcoastmama:  I like your signature line.  I shall bear it in mind if I worry too much about my kids in a pandemic.

As to your idea, I think its possible to interpret the word "neighbour" more widely.  Anything in the press/media, and also posting on this forum helps "neighbours" prepare.
Beth
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 23 2006 at 6:18am
Beth, thanks, you're right, my signature is what this thread is all about!Smile
Albert View Drop Down
Admin
Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Albert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 23 2006 at 6:36am

You won't have a problem starting any sort of neighborhood watch for pandemic flu in another 45 days from now.   Your neighbors will most likely be very receptive to the idea soon. 

Worst case, when wave one hits during the next pandemic, we would have a couple of days to get the neighborhoods working.  You could distribute flyers in one day during an initial outbreak.  You could also launch a neighborhood online blog within minutes.   We would send an email alert to all of the members and we could all work together to form the N. Watch programs. 

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 23 2006 at 6:44am
you are right, albert.  Once we have confirmed H5N1 high path in america people will be jumping on board.  I think the important thing is for us to be prepared to implement some kind of neighborhood strategy BEFORE this panic time comes.  Our neighbors will be dealing with the stress and emotion of coming to terms with this reality, and going through a phase we all here on this forum have already dealt with over the past months.  They will not be capable of behaving rationally or implementing informed programs for their local communities that make any sense.

Once the H5 is in U.S. I believe that the mass media will almost ensure that a panic will ensue.  In this way, the media, which so many are angry at now, will become our friend.  We don't want panic, but it is better than ignorance of the issue.  Its just a matter of time.  My kid just started school a week ago and already I have contracted my first cold.  The season is upon us.  We need to get a jump on this.  If anyone has a copy of that Fox report and can scan it in and post it here, that would be appreciated (is that legal)?
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 23 2006 at 8:27pm
GulfCoastMama,  Sorry if you didn't like my suggestions,  but I did this for Y2K and I doing it now for H5.  

I hope you are right about people getting the message.  Personally I think it will either take the media to whip them into caring or deaths in their town.  You live in the gulf coast region.  Ever wonder why people wait till a storm is 24 hours out to get supplies?  There are about 25% to 30% (like us) that plan a head.  The rest will wait till it hits them between the eyes.  Should we forget about them?  No, but I'll not risk my family for them either.

After you pass out your fliers, you will need something to give the interested ones to help them prepare.

If you start off talking about H5 to someone who is only mildly interested 75% will tune you out.  But if you start talking about the natural disasters that effect your area, then add in that by adding a few items (masks, gloves, etc.)  they can be prepared for H5 also.    It's worked for me.

I've talked to the Pastors of 2 Church's.  Both were in agreement.  One passed out my plan, the other the plan that the state of MO puts out.   The point is I've got 2 to 3 hundred people with a plan on how to prepare.  

My next step is to see if I can interest the pastors to help with some sort of an assistance plan for those that don't have enough.  (Some people just don't have the money.  But mainly I do this for the kids.  It's not their fault that their parents can't see the nose on their face.)  There are a lot of logistics to work out on that.  Especially with the contagious aspect of the flu. 

What ever I do it won't be at my home.  Unless you live in a fort with about 20 people to stand guard, I suggest that you don't either.   

You might think about setting up a email account other than you "home" email.  You could put this on you flier and not compromise your home account.

I hope these suggestion help.  What you want to do is noble.  But there is nothing wrong with protecting your family while you help others.

If you want to email me use the address in my profile.

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 23 2006 at 8:46pm
i think that is the best idea i have heard of ,,,informing your neighbors on the hows and whys of prepping, without jeopardizing your families safety in the months to come.
kind of like "teach a man to fish," rather than giving him the fish.
and yes,,could you post what you come up with? i want to do the same thing in my neighborhood!

oi sole View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oi sole Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 23 2006 at 9:57pm
For $.39 and an envelope you could send your bird flu info anonymously to neighbors in your immediate vicinity. Just make sure you address each envelope to “neighbor” or “neighbor at” and don’t leave a return address.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 24 2006 at 6:18am
Wolfgang, quite the contrary, I love your ideas and you have made me think of many different angles on how to attack this issue.  You are very right about not doing this from my own home - I have reconsidered this idea.

There is a privately owned website for my community run by a gentleman who would probably be really interested in helping me with this.  He was very involved in helping create roadblocks in our neighborhood after Katrina to prevent looting.  He seems to enjoy 'controversial' subjects that go on here locally and seems to be somewhat 'activist' (rare for a conservative!).  I was thinking of getting him to set up a section on his website for bf.  We could release a press release to all registered users.  I often get emails from his site referring me to articles on the net, etc. that effect our community.  We can have an online guide, a printable flyer (for people to distribute to their adjacent neighbors) and encourage the members (which may constitute 5-10% of the locals) to email their local neighbors about this.  We will adress everything specifically as it affects out town - people are more interested in our local situation than in some generic info.  After lots of consideration, this is what I have whittled it down to.  WOlfgang, to reference your idea of contacting church groups, their email addresses are readily available and they could be directed to the web page and it be requested that they inform their congregations - without anyone every knowing my identity.

The idea of mailing is a great one - I guess it depends on how much we each want to spend.  I may mail to the immediate houses around me, 20 or so.  But as I see it the effort needs to be greater in scope.  Truly, all of these ideas and suggestions are great.  Thanks for your participation.

It would be awesome if I could get this going somehow locally and then could email you all a link to the site.  I could be the test.  I'll try in the next two or 3 days to contact this guy.  As I see it, using the AFT resources are a great idea as a last resort, but I'd guess many communities with local forums are more targeted, as they would have email lists, can send out notices and already have memberships.  You all may want to consider what sites are used a lot locally that meet these criteria and try to pursue their moderators to set up a section for bf, or even a nicely crafted thread at the least.  At the end of the thread you can have your newly created email address for this purpose (hotmail, or whatever).  People can send you their address to get on a local bf mailing list and you can email weekly articles.  Or, could set up a group at yahoo groups.  Any of these ideas would work as I see it and all would retain anonymity.  Feedback again, please!
Albert View Drop Down
Admin
Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Albert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 24 2006 at 8:22am
Gulfcoastmama, as a reminder, we can't use AFT for gathering emails and creating email lists, nor referring members to personal newsgroups & forums.   

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 24 2006 at 8:22am
GulfCoastMama, sound like you have a plan, and that always the first step.  You will still need some sort of guide to show people how to prepare.  You will be surprised  how many people just don't know what to do. 

Now stop knocking us Conservatives!  We are activists.  We just don't have to hug a tree to show it.  Besides when you hug a tree,  there are splinters, poison oak, poison ivy.........LOL LOL LOL LOL 
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 24 2006 at 10:04am
I'm still hoping some of you post wording in here as to how you're doing those fliers - I'm eager for that wording.
I'm also going to distribute the fliers in public places, anonymously.  The library, leave them on tables and in the flier section, the mall in the sitting area there where the men wait on the women who're shopping, doctor's lobby.  I figure I can drop them off quickly and no one will be the wiser and I might actually touch a lot of people with this method.  But it would need to be like a one page flier and wording of that is just beating me up.  I don't want them to read the first line and them read it and say to themselves "what a nut" and throw it away.  It can't come across as Chicken Little screaming the sky is falling or they'll laugh at it. 
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 24 2006 at 10:06am
And don't forget that if you can get the older generation on board, they can bully their kids about it more than we can.... relying on e-mail or online forums to reach them won't work as a large percentage of older Americans don't have a computer.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 24 2006 at 10:43am
sorry albert, I guess I should get back on track here talking about wording of a flyer.

I would draft something, but if you all hate it I will cry Cry.

Hey woldgang, is the thing you made for your family something that meets our needs, or do you not wish to share it? 
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 24 2006 at 10:48am
By the way, wolfgang, I'm not knocking conservatives at all - I am a resgistered republican, after all!

p.s. not that i'm proud of it  (in light of our current administration)

What i meant is that most 'conservatives' tend to act through already established means and use their vote to speak.  THere is not as much 'grass roots' activity among conservatives.  I wish there were more of it.

Please don't start posting politics guys, I just wanted Wolf to know I wasn't knocking him!!
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 24 2006 at 1:43pm
Originally posted by GulfCoastMama GulfCoastMama wrote:

By the way, wolfgang, I'm not knocking conservatives at all - I am a resgistered republican, after all!

I wasn't worried.  I was making a joke.  That why the smilie faces. 
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 24 2006 at 2:07pm
Originally posted by GulfCoastMama GulfCoastMama wrote:

sorry albert, I guess I should get back on track here talking about wording of a flyer.

I would draft something, but if you all hate it I will cry Cry.

Hey Wolfgang, is the thing you made for your family something that meets our needs, or do you not wish to share it? 

All I can say is that I've gotten nothing but positive feedback on it.  Email me and I'll sent it to you.  Please remember, I tried not to list finites.  Just ideas and areas for people to plans in.  It's about 15 pages long.  It can get a little expensive to print a lot of those.

Thats the reason I suggested that you check with your state.  Missouri has recently put a"ready in 3" preparedness plan and give them out free.  Some people will accept a plan from the government before they accept a plan from a non-official source.  So check with your state.  They may have something similar that will save you money.

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 24 2006 at 7:37pm

I have a neighbor with 4 children. She is always coming over and taking (never asks) items she needs, such as paper towels, toilet papaer, etc. She never has food at her house, her children like hanging out with my kids because there is always something to eat here. I have tried in every way to educate her about the BF, however, she still neglects to prepare. She came over a couple of days ago and asked if I could spare some of my canned goods from my BF stash as she was low on money and was about to embark on a weekend trip with her kids. Gutsy, I thought. If she is doing this now, I can only imagine how this is going to play out when the BF gets here. I worryCry about those children, and I worry I will not be able to turn those starving kids away. What am I to do?

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 24 2006 at 7:46pm
You're going to have to make a choice:  either store enough to include her family, or start weaning her off of your family NOW.  Seriously. Someone like that isn't just going to get mad at you, they usually get REALLY ***sed off an come after you.  "How dare you deprive her children of your food?"  They're looking at you as a grocery store and her attitude is of somone with the "right" to shop there.  Stop being a doormat and set your foot down.  If you come up with a plan and stick to it on how to wean her, it'll go a lot better for you to do that now than then.  You're in for it already in that she knows you're stockpiling, better for her to also know now that she's not going to be entitled to it.
As for her kids, you can't save the world from itself.  Even if you could get her to change her way of thinking and living, there's four other kids a block over from you in the same boat.  Kids all over your town, our cities, our nation will go hungry.  The hard choice all of us will have to make when that happens is to save our own families or someone else's.  Whatever choice you make, start mentally preparing for it (or financially, should you decide to stock for them too) and be prepared. 
Good luck to you.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 24 2006 at 7:59pm
Your neighbor's not doing this because she needs money if she's going on a weekend trip with her kids.  She's not THAT poor, she's just used to the convenience of your being there and available for her.
My husband had the idea if this happened, if you've got anywhere, consider an off storage site for your supplies.  I don't know how feasible that is, but for some of us, they are within a mile of our homes.  If it got too bad and you hadn't weaned her, get it out of your house.  He's also wanting me to add that don't look at it as just a BF situation, look at this as something that she's going to be doing to you for the rest of the time you're neighbors, you're better off mentally using the BF as the reason why you need to wean her and DO IT.  It's for her benefit as well as yours because she'll never learn to do it on her own.  Consider that you are enabling her to do this and that will help you stand firm.
Albert View Drop Down
Admin
Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Albert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 24 2006 at 8:00pm
Wolfgang, why don't you post part of your plan here.  15 pages isn't that long.  I also don't want you soliciting emails from the members.  You've been a member here  for 10 days and I'm glad to see that you're fully prepped.  

Thanks.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 24 2006 at 8:04pm

wolfgang,,yes,,i like albert's suggestion. if you feel so inclined,,please post your pages,,even 15,i would be really interested!

thanks

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 24 2006 at 8:26pm
Originally posted by sabby34 sabby34 wrote:

I have a neighbor with 4 children. She is always coming over and taking (never asks) items she needs, such as paper towels, toilet papaer, etc. She never has food at her house, her children like hanging out with my kids because there is always something to eat here. I have tried in every way to educate her about the BF, however, she still neglects to prepare. She came over a couple of days ago and asked if I could spare some of my canned goods from my BF stash as she was low on money and was about to embark on a weekend trip with her kids. Gutsy, I thought. If she is doing this now, I can only imagine how this is going to play out when the BF gets here. I worryCry about those children, and I worry I will not be able to turn those starving kids away. What am I to do?

sabby34
You have a couple of problems on your hands. 

It appears that this person has [what I call] the welfare / entitlement mentality.  They expect things to be taken care of things for them.  (Don't confuse this with people that are infirmed and require help.)  They live for the moment and their pleasure, and are not concern what this cost others, including family.  Being a nice caring person you have allowed this person to interject herself into you family and household.  This is obvious by the fact that she just "takes things".  She already feels that your BF supplies are her for the taking.  Actually she considers you her BF supplier!

Question.  Did you give her cans goods for her camping trip?  If you did you made the problem worst.  If you didn't I bet she got upset.

YOU have to start saying NO now.  I know you are concerned for the children.  But are you concerned enough to risk your children health and wellbeing? 

If you were preparing for "normal" disasters I would say just bring her kids in and feed them at least once a day.  [Notice I said feed them not give them food.]  But BF is normal.  If you bring them in you are risking contaminating your family and home.  Honestly I don't know what the solution is.  If yo live in  the south, maybe  suiting up and using a picnic table out side???   If you live in a cold climate.... I don't know.  I'm still working on that myself.

As I've said before, some people are grasshoppers, some (us) are ants.  And you can't change them. 

Again if you care for the wellbeing of your family start saying no to this person NOW.  If you need to get another friend to come over and give you support. 

Good Luck

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 24 2006 at 8:34pm
Originally posted by Albert Albert wrote:

Wolfgang, why don't you post part of your plan here.  15 pages isn't that long.  I also don't want you soliciting emails from the members.  You've been a member here  for 10 days and I'm glad to see that you're fully prepped.  

Thanks.

Albert, I'm not trying to bend any rules, I was just doing it the way it was done on other fourms.  I will try to post it, but I'm not sure I know how.  Embarrassed

Do you want in in this tread, or start a new one?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic