Click to Translate to English Click to Translate to French  Click to Translate to Spanish  Click to Translate to German  Click to Translate to Italian  Click to Translate to Japanese  Click to Translate to Chinese Simplified  Click to Translate to Korean  Click to Translate to Arabic  Click to Translate to Russian  Click to Translate to Portuguese  Click to Translate to Myanmar (Burmese)

PANDEMIC ALERT LEVEL
Forum Home Forum Home > Main Forums > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Tracking the next pandemic: Avian Flu Talk

My neighbors chickens are dying

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lion of judah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: My neighbors chickens are dying
    Posted: September 01 2006 at 5:55pm
I had agreed to feed my neighbors chicken and dogs while they went camping for the holiday weekend, after she left she called to tell me, one of her chilkens had died this morning and she had one die last week. She said they had seemed fine and then she went out there and they were dead.  Needless to say I'm concerned. I can't just not feed them for days though. I'm sure it's not the bird flu but you never know. I may just throw food into the yard from the outside and keep my distance. And I'm not checking eggs or opening the coop.

Worried.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 01 2006 at 6:56pm

Here is an article from the USDA APHIS concerning chicken symptoms.

Contact your local Health Department today.
BobFMB View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BobFMB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 01 2006 at 6:58pm
Dont feed them chilkens.  They may have bird fru.  Tjhrough food at them and thell be ok.  Hey Just Kidding.  Hope your birds are ok.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 01 2006 at 7:45pm
Maybe you should wear a mask when you feed them. I wouldn't get too close.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 01 2006 at 7:57pm

The day that they tested in Michigan, I had someone come and take my flock...It was hard, but I did it just for this reason....It may be nothing at all, and you can set water through the fence and scatter their feed, or dump it in a pile...All they will lose is a few eggs not brought in.....Hope they are okay...

Good Luck!!
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 01 2006 at 9:04pm

lion of judah,

I am curious which state you live in. Please don't feel obligated to answer -- it is fine if you would prefer not to.

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 02 2006 at 5:09am

lion, were the chickens dead in the yard or found dead while roosting?  There's a number of reasons chickens may die, one being that they get "broody" and won't leave the nest when sitting on eggs.  After a couple of days they die from lack of water.  

Good luck with the chickens.  Hope you don't lose any on your watch. Smile

Mississipp Mama View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mississipp Mama Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 02 2006 at 2:23pm
  Hey Lion of Judah, don't worry about throwing the food on the ground, Chickens love to eat from the ground.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 02 2006 at 2:28pm
Lion,

What's the latest on the chickens ?
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 02 2006 at 3:50pm
I think I would call the state health department and report the deaths. Then I would follow their instructions to the letter.

I wish I had seen this sooner, (meaning that I have read this thread many times and never thought to call in the health department. It's the obvious that keeps escaping me. Embarrassed)

lion of judah...where are you? Hope everything is ok.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 02 2006 at 5:05pm
lion, if you do report the deaths, it's your state's Dept. of Agriculture that investigates.  Their website may have a contact number in your area to report poultry deaths, as well as instructions on how to dispose of/handle dead birds.  Here in GA, they keep a log of the information but will not collect the dead fowl at this stage.   Their criteria for further investigation is 20  or more deaths in one flock.   

There are alot of reasons chickens die, and if they are in a coop they may not be very exposed to the wild birds that may/may shed H5N1.  The good news is that they died days apart.  But who knows.  The odds are in your favor that the birds in your friend's coop died for other reasons. 

How's it going?
Cygnet View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cygnet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 02 2006 at 9:35pm
Have you spoken to your neighbor? I would ask HER to call the health department. They're her chickens.

If this was high path avian flu the chickens would likely all be dead or very sick by now. High path AI hits very hard, has a nearly 100% infection rate and 100% cfr in an affected flock. The symptoms are dramatic -- you KNOW the birds are sick.

Calling the health department may result in the destruction of your neighbor's flock or a major inconvenience for your neighbor over nothing. Unless ALL the birds start dying I'd let her make the call. There are quite a few diseases that may cause a low rate of fatality and are officially (and IMHO, wrongly) cause of official culling by some states. Many are endemic in the environment and culling the flock accomplishes nothing except making a few factory farm corporations happy.

Things that will cause the occasional chicken to drop dead:

First off, the birds are going into MOLT. This means that they will be unusually stressed and the weekest members of the flock may croak. I currently have about fifty chickens and I'm honestly surprised not to have any dead ones yet. It happens.

Also:

Extreme heat
Moderate heat plus underlying illness -- Mareks lymphoma, active respiratory infection (mycoplasma), coryza, fowlpox, etc.
Couple dozen non-zoonotic diseases will cause a low rate of death in the flock.
Mold problems in the bedding or feed
Toxins in the environment
Old age
Genetics -- I breed marans and expect to lose a certain number of roosters between 16 and 22 weeks. Necropsy generally reveals that the birds died of an aortic aneurysm.
Misadventure. Accounts for more chickens than I'd like ... I lost two hens recently who tipped a plastic feeding tub over on themselves and then died under it from heat stroke.
Fighting -- chickens are mean and nasty to each other.
Poor diet.
Rain -- birds can and do get hypothermia if they get sick.

Plus, only two birds? That can also be pure dumb luck that two of them died. I would NOT be panicking if two birds out of a whole flock died. Even a small flock. I'd be just looking for #3, because, you know, bad luck happens in threes.

Note: symptoms of a respiratory infection in a flock -- sneezing birds (sneezing chickens squeak), noisy breathing (rattling, squeaking, "sounds like a bad chest cold" noises), no eggs -- though this time of year, you might not be getting eggs anyway as it's molting time.

Anyway -- unless a bunch more die I'd let your neighbor deal with it. Like I said, High Path AI is dramatic you will KNOW in short order if high path AI is the problem.

lion of judah View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lion of judah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 03 2006 at 2:48pm
Hi, all
Sorry I couldn't get here yesterday. I'm feeding them. We are in Virginia. They are in a chicken tractor, so I just have been throwing the food throught the top for them. I can also water them without opening it at all. So that's what I have been doing.

As far as where they dies my neighbor said the first died in the nesting box and the other was out in the yard. THey died a few days apart. They look ok to me, but their feathers are a mess right now they may be molting and there are feather everywhere in the cage and coop. It could also be that way because of the storm Ernesto that just went through. We had 8 or 9 in of rain.

I'll talk to her about calling it in when she gets back tomorrow.

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 05 2006 at 10:41am
lion of judah, what did you do about / with the two dead chickens? Did you leave them in the pen?
janetn View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote janetn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 05 2006 at 5:53pm
If you were looking at BF you would see most of the flock sick or dead.  To put your mind at ease call a local vet tell him the symtoms and if there is a problem with BF [ which I feel confident there isnt]  he will know who to contact and what to do
lion of judah View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lion of judah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 06 2006 at 6:53pm
The chickens were in the pen when I was looking after them they had died before she left and she had removed them before she left. She said they removed them with plastic trash bags and were careful not to touch the birds at all. I ask what they did with the bodies and she said her husband took care of that and she didn't ask and didn't want to know.
Praise God nothing happen when I had them because I wouldn't have removed it.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 07 2006 at 11:56am
lion of judah, try not to worry so much. I was raised on a farm and believe me chickens do die sometimes from various causes one of which is old age.

I know you were alarmed just as I was today when I found one of my dogs eating a dead bird. Most likely it died of West Nile, which is not a threat to dogs, but then I don't know.
Good luck to all.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic