Click to Translate to English Click to Translate to French  Click to Translate to Spanish  Click to Translate to German  Click to Translate to Italian  Click to Translate to Japanese  Click to Translate to Chinese Simplified  Click to Translate to Korean  Click to Translate to Arabic  Click to Translate to Russian  Click to Translate to Portuguese  Click to Translate to Myanmar (Burmese)

PANDEMIC ALERT LEVEL
Forum Home Forum Home > Main Forums > General Discussion
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - light, we will need it when it is dark. what do yo
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Tracking the next pandemic: Avian Flu Talk

light, we will need it when it is dark. what do yo

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tigger1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: light, we will need it when it is dark. what do yo
    Posted: October 27 2006 at 2:19pm
i have switched most of my flashlights to L.E.D. the bulbs last forever and put less drain on the batteries.

i have 6 kerosene lanterns and extra wicks. i will get 10 gallons of kerosene, soon. one of my lanterns is probably 80 years old

i need more candles.

good luck to you all
ozjohn. View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ozjohn. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 27 2006 at 2:52pm
" have 6 kerosene lanterns'

Be super carefull with them,  they are dangerous.

OJ
Scout Motto:- "BE PREPARED"
tigger1 View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tigger1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 27 2006 at 4:21pm
oj,

they are better than dark.
JonMccr View Drop Down
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JonMccr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 27 2006 at 6:01pm
Hi all,
I bought a couple solar powered lights for outside and plan on using them inside. I will place the solar panel close to a window that gets lot of sunlight and let it charge during the day and turn it on at night. I think it is safer than candles or kerosene. I can't take full credit for the idea, I think I saw it on this site a couple months back. Just passing it on.

Good luck.
Jon
"Don't take life too seriously, nobody gets out of it alive"
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 27 2006 at 6:06pm
I rely on a couple different types of lighting / power sources.  I grew up with "hurricane" lamps and candles.  As previously stated they are dangerous.  Especially if you have kids and / or children.  So I've gotten away from them.  (I still have a few packed away.)  I went to military grade chemical light sticks, AKA Cyalume light sticks.  They put out more light than a candle and are much safer.  They last for 8 to 12 hours, and come in a variety of colors.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 27 2006 at 8:05pm
good idea Jon.  I found a 2 for one on the net for solar wall mounted lights to place near windows.  It's on another thread here.
..................................................................................................................

"...will get 10 gallons of kerosene..."
..................................................................................................................

Can you tell me if there is a difference in the smell between lamp oil I bought and kerosene?   It's for if the batteries run out.  A last resort as I want to use solar.  I'll check the lenth of light time and intensity of the
solar light and get back with the info.  Solar (fixtures) are  expensive so lamps may be resorted to.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 28 2006 at 8:01am
About 6 months ago at WalMart I saw and bought some LED flashlights that didn't need batteries. All you have to do is shake it for it to work. These lights came 3 in a package for about $16.00 and I got 1 normal size light and 2 smaller ones. They don't throw enough light to perform brain surgery, but they provide more than enough to see your way around a dark house.
Chloe View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chloe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 28 2006 at 9:39am
I have hurricane lamps and I buy the odorless lamp oil.  If necessary you can heat canned goods over one of those which you can't over a LED light.
AandEmommy View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AandEmommy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 28 2006 at 10:07am
I just bought a camping lantern from wal-mart that comes with a solar panel, and a 12- volt DC lighter plug.  I think it was about $34.00.  I tried it out on a pretty cloudy day and it charged in an hour.  
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 28 2006 at 1:13pm
Hi all!  Check out the thread on pandemic tips "emergency "a" lighting.  I got some awesome advice there, too!!  Have a good 1Smile
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 30 2006 at 5:01pm
This is radical, but it could be that we will all end up listening to our own circadian rhythms and go to bed when it gets dark, and wake up at first light.
emmajones View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote emmajones Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 30 2006 at 5:05pm
That is radical . . I like it.     
b4giving
nwprepper View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nwprepper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 30 2006 at 5:57pm
Therese - My husband is a marriage therapist and he always jokes that electricity is responsible for the high divorce rate.

He is SURE he would be out of business if after dark couples would just sit around and talk quietly by the fire/candlelight, go to bed early & snuggle 'cause there's nothing else to do... etc.
packrat/mama View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote packrat/mama Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 30 2006 at 10:05pm
Just a reminder to all exploring " alternative lighting" to also stock up on fire extinguishers.  During the height of a pandemic we may see very slow response from Fire Dept's, so we need to minimize our risks for needing them.  Woodburners,  kerosene heaters and lamps, oil lamps, candles, all increase the risk of a home fire.  EVERYONE PLEASE BE VERY CAREFUL! 
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic