Click to Translate to English Click to Translate to French  Click to Translate to Spanish  Click to Translate to German  Click to Translate to Italian  Click to Translate to Japanese  Click to Translate to Chinese Simplified  Click to Translate to Korean  Click to Translate to Arabic  Click to Translate to Russian  Click to Translate to Portuguese  Click to Translate to Myanmar (Burmese)

PANDEMIC ALERT LEVEL
Forum Home Forum Home > Main Forums > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Tracking the next pandemic: Avian Flu Talk

Preps starting to expire

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LCfromFL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Preps starting to expire
    Posted: January 30 2007 at 5:27pm
I need to get a better system in place to rotate my preps. I checked the dates on some of them and they have recently expired or are about to expire.

My question is this - how long past the 'use by' date are things good for? For example, I've got a big box of powdered milk that expired in November 2006. Do I just toss it? Use it to cook with?

How are you guys managing the 'prep rotation' issue?
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 30 2007 at 5:47pm
LC,

Use them. This will give you experience. Dont buy what you dont eat. Play with it and learn. Most things are good past the out of date time.
Jane View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 30 2007 at 5:58pm

I would use it too  as fast as I could
    - give you challenche to look for some delicious ideas

like hot wheat cream, porridge, puddings or my favorite one
   potatoe soup with  fresh dill

But I would  put it in a smaller plastics bags  and put it into freezer.

right now I only buy cans with 2009 expire date
   or cereal boxes with 2008 expire dates
Just Ducky View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Just Ducky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 30 2007 at 6:13pm
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 30 2007 at 6:32pm
LC, powered milk is, most probability, the shortest shelf life product we stock. Unless you get something like nitrogen purged canned powered milk, we have to put up with a short shelf life. I'm presently using a box of milk the expired in 11/06. So far so good.

I've been told if it smells sour, then it is.

Hobby View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hobby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 30 2007 at 6:59pm
This is what I'm holding off on is powdered milk. I phoned Loblaws today and they said its good for 18 months "from" the day it is made. The last 4 numbers on the bag will tell you the expiry date, for example
160G means 160 days into the year, and the G stands for 2007. The alphabet stands for the year, A is 2000, B is 2001...ect
But I'm feeling uncomfortable with everything I'm reading about bird flu, and considering to start buying some powdered milk as its very expensive here in Canada $18.99 a bag. Has to be stored in a cool dry place with no sun.
LCfromFL View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LCfromFL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 30 2007 at 7:36pm
Thanks for the info, everyone. I had bought this big box at Sam's - so I've got a LOT to use. I figured we'd use it for the girls' cereal in the morning - and to add to soups and such (once we were 'hunkered down'). Powdered milk is just not something that usually hits my pantry shelves. I asked my mom and one of her friends if they wanted some - of course they said 'yes' (they never throw anything away).

I guess I'll just add powdered/boxed milk to my list of 'last minute' purchases. Hopefully this board will help us know when to finalize our preps before the general public goes nutso. My friends and colleagues are blindly going about their lives as if nothing will ever happen. They won't do anything until every local news station and Fox and CNN are all covering the story. And we all know it will be much too late then.

Jane View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 30 2007 at 7:36pm
  Hobby

I just bought a 2.5 kg of powdered milk and number is 135 I

that should read as 135 days in 2009? right?
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 30 2007 at 8:08pm
LC, Take you powered milk mix it haft and haft with your regular milk. It will stretch your milk, and it taste pretty good.

Mountain home makes #10 cans and 5 gal. buckets that are nitrogen purged, and should have a shelf live of several years.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 30 2007 at 8:31pm
I ordered powdered milk in galvanized lined #10 cans from different suppliers for long term storage and it may outlive me. But here is a chart from Provident Living that may help answer your questions. I would think this would apply to milk you buy at the store and store yourself. Also, Walton Feeds has a lot of information on nutritional food values. Good luck

Approximate Shelf Life of Foods Stored in Airtight Containers at Room Temperature        Provident living
Product    Shelf Life    Storage Tips
Adzuki Beans    8 Years    
Alfalfa Seed    8 Years    Sprouts best when 2-3 years old
Apple Flakes, Dried    5 Years    
Apples, Dried    5 Years    
Bananas, Dried    5 Years    
Barley    8 Years    
Beans, Refried    5 Years    Use within 1 year of opening container
Black Turtle Beans    8 Years    
Blackeye Beans    8 Years    
Broccoli    8 Years    
Buckwheat    12 Years    
Butter Powder    5 Years    
Cabbage    10 Years    
Carrots    10 Years    
Celery    10 Years    
Cheese Powder    15 Years    
Cocoa Powder    15 Years    
Corn, Whole    12 Years    
Cornmeal    5 Years    Use within 1 year of opening container
Durum Wheat    10 Years    
Egg Powder    5 Years    Stores 15 years in freezer
Flax Seed    10 Years    
Flour, Unbleached    5 Years    Use within 1 year of opening container
Flour, White    5 Years    Use within 1 year of opening container
Flour, Whole Wheat    3 Years    Use within 3 months of opening container
Fruit Galaxy    5 Years    
Garbanzo Beans    8 Years    
Garden Seeds    4 Years    Refrigerate for best results
Germade Cereal    5 Years    Use within 1 year of opening container
Gluten    5 Years    Use within 1 year of opening container
Granola    5 Years    
Great Northern Beans    8 Years    
Honey, Pure Pasteurized    Indefinite    Will crystallize over time
Honey, Pure Raw    5 Years    May ferment over time
Kamut    12 Years    
Kidney Beans    8 Years    
Lentils    8 Years    
Lima Beans    8 Years    
Macaroni    10 Years    Add a handful of salt to reduce moisture
Margarine Powder    10 Years    
Millet    10 Years    
Mixes, Dry    5 Years    Use within 1 year of opening container
Morning Moo    5 Years    
Mung Beans    8 Years    
Nonfat Dry Milk    5 Years    
Noodles    10 Years    Add a handful of salt to reduce moisture
Oat Groats    8 Years    
Oats, Quick Rolled    1-2 Years    
Oats, Regular Rolled    5 Years    
Onions    10 Years    Gradually turn brown over time
Pasta, White    10 Years    Add a handful of salt to reduce moisture
Pasta, Whole Wheat    8 Years    Add a handful of salt to reduce moisture
Peaches, Dried    5 Years    
Peanut Butter Powder    4 Years    Refrigerate for longer shelf life
Peppers    10 Years    
Pink Beans    8 Years    
Pinto Beans    8 Years    
Potatoes    7 Years    Gradually turn brown over time
Quinoa    8 Years    
Raisins, Dried    5 Years    
Raisins, Moist    3 Years    
Red Wheat, Hard    15 Years    
Ribbon Noodles    10 Years    Add a handful of salt to reduce moisture
Rice, Brown    1 Year    Will store up to 5 years in freezer
Rice, White    10 Years    
Rolled Oats    7 Years    Store in airtight container after opening
Rye    8 Years    
Salt    Indefinite    Will clump in moist environment
Shortening Powder    10 Years    
Small Red Beans    8 Years    
Small White Navy Beans    8 Years    
Soft Wheat    10 Years    
Soybeans    8 Years    
Spaghetti    10 Years    Add a handful of salt to reduce moisture
Spelt    12 Years    
Sprouting Seeds    4 Years    
Sugar    Indefinite    Will clump in moist environment
Triticale    12 Years    
TVP    20 Years    
Wheat Flakes    5 Years    
Wheat, Cracked    5 Years    Use within 1 year of opening container
Whey Powder    15 Years    Gradually turns brown but is still usable
White Wheat, Hard    15 Years    
Yeast    2 Years    Stores 7-10 years in the freezer

PS If your honey turns to sugar just place it in warm water to change it back. Hope it helps.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 30 2007 at 8:36pm
Great list Maysday. Thanks
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 30 2007 at 8:39pm
You are very welcome.
Hobby View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hobby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 30 2007 at 8:45pm

Jane, yes according to Loblaws. There should be a phone number on the bag don't be afraid to phone. I phone them all asking how long there product is good for.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 30 2007 at 8:50pm

anything on frozen foods? like chicken, pork ribs, pork chops, hamburger meat.

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 30 2007 at 9:36pm
SHERRIE, sorry I don't have a list but all the things you mentioned should keep in the freezer for 2 years except chicken. It just does not last long.
I am afraid of power outages and loosing frozen foods. So most of my preps are in jars, dehydrated, cans or grains. Good luck.
pheasant View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pheasant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 31 2007 at 1:44am
shelf life is problematic , my preps consist mostly of reg.store bought foods.and i use what i refer to as "block rotation" ...preps are sorted by general shelf life then when there close to expire i will rotate a whole shelf to the general use pantry....this keeps my life simple. back around 2000 i did a massive stock up, and just let it sit..lol i got stuck with a lot of expensive expired critter food...so we rotate about 2 weeks to a month worth of food at a time
The only thing we have to fear, is fear itself......FDR
pheasant View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pheasant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 31 2007 at 1:53am
re; meat, the store bought canned meat ,chicken in particuler,is awsome ..use it to add to almost any dish, i opted to store canned chicken as a prep,rather than frozen. if you havent opend a can and just ate it plain, than its a must to try.......
    oh and dont mess with the cheap stuff, breast meat only
The only thing we have to fear, is fear itself......FDR
July View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote July Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 31 2007 at 5:21am
    I recently tried an idea that was posted on here.
Place a color sticker on you foods for the year it expires. o each year has its own color. I also wrote the month it exp on the sticker. So at a glance then you can see which you need to use first.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 31 2007 at 8:57am
Originally posted by wolfgang2000 wolfgang2000 wrote:

LC, Take you powered milk mix it haft and haft with your regular milk. It will stretch your milk, and it taste pretty good.

better yet just add kalua
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 31 2007 at 10:26am
http://www.hormel.com/templates/knowledge/knowledge.asp?catitemid=7&id=587

If you scroll down there is a list of shelf lives onmany foods
ParanoidMom View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ParanoidMom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 31 2007 at 10:55am
The expiration date on almost ALL foods is when the nutritian breaks down. Therefore, what vitamins and minerals the label states will not be at the levels stated. The food had not gone bad. If the food is bad, you're going to know it. If you open a package of lard or vegetable shortening and it smells rancid, trust me, it's no good.

Of course this method doesn't work for fresh foods. Items from the meat, dairy, produce and such need to be used by the date given.

Another reason the dates were orginally put on the cans/boxes is to help stores with rotation. Not even food value. That's why you'll see "Best Before" dates. Canned milk, for instance, usually has about a one year expiration date. After that it will start to darken in color. It isn't going to hurt you any, but it has changed from the original product.
Hotair View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hotair Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 31 2007 at 11:16am
I just opened and ate a can of pineapple that was expired 2 years ago and it was fine. It is true that the FDA requires manufacturers to put exp. dates on everything --including drugs but the product may expire months or even tears after. Again, it depends on what it is and the smell when it is opened.
roni3470 View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roni3470 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 31 2007 at 11:21am
Someone told me on here once that the expiration date is a date when some of the ingredients might possibly break down, meaning you may not get all the advertised vitamin intake, etc.  But that the product itself doesn't go bad for a very long time after that date.  I think that sounds pretty good to me!
NOW is the Season to Know

that Everything you Do

is Sacred
justducky View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote justducky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 31 2007 at 12:05pm
Wunjo Wagon View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wunjo Wagon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 31 2007 at 3:15pm
Although I date everything before it goes in the pantry, I don't particulary worry about expiration dates.  I think that after the date the food will no longer be at peak flavor and nutrition, but it is still good to eat and will probably be edible many years after the expire date, with the way things are going, I'm not about to throw away one scrap of food that looks edible.

Joy to the world! 
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 31 2007 at 3:20pm
About a year or so ago one of my son's said he read a story where a 50 year old can of Campell's Chicken Soup was found in an old storm cellar. They tested it and guess what. It was still good. I expect it was somewhat rusty because think of the conditions it was in for all those years. Don't throw away your food. Give a starving person a can of food and they won't look for an expiration date.
Good luck.
Jane View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 31 2007 at 4:23pm
  Hobby Thank you!

I will go and buy some more milk because it is really fresh
Hobby View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hobby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 31 2007 at 8:12pm

Does anyone have any idea's on storing fresh veggies without putting them in the sand, I can't do that.
PATB View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PATB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 04 2007 at 10:20am
No one has mentioned can milk. I have stocked up on a case or two. It can be reduced by half with water if you feel its too strong. I recently bought a bunch at .50 a can and feel like "I WON" today.
Pat
Wunjo Wagon View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wunjo Wagon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 04 2007 at 4:46pm
I recently used two cans of condensed milk from the pantry which was dated 1998 for making cookies, it was just fine and the cookies were even better.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic